OT: Saddest Song Ever Written
2018-06-12 18:20:58 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written. For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World

and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier

YM will almost certainly V.
Fred
2018-06-12 18:34:33 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.
YM will almost certainly V.
My father used to bring a lump to my throat every time by singing "The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot".

Fred
steveski
2018-06-12 22:32:40 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.
YM will almost certainly V.
My father used to bring a lump to my throat every time by singing "The
Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot".
Gloomy Sunday by Billie Holiday. 'Nuff said.
2018-06-13 19:56:11 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written. YM will
almost certainly V. -- Sid (Make sure Matron is away when you
reply)
My father used to bring a lump to my throat every time by singing
"The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot".
I once had a request played on Radio Merseyside. It was "Scarlet
Ribbons". The presenter thought it rather odd that I chose it because
"it makes me cry every time I hear it."
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
vk
2018-06-12 20:23:41 UTC
Randy Newman: I think it's going to rain today.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-12 21:54:57 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.
Randy Newman: I think it's going to rain today.
Oh Mein Papa, English or German version.
My uncle had the German one in a 78rpm version. I stayed with them at
one point and played it a lot. My father died when I was 7, so I liked
playing it.

Or eins und eins dass macht zwei. Hildegard Neff. Lots of her songs
are very sad. If you want really sad, German songs are the ones.
Nick Odell
2018-06-12 21:09:55 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
Aurora: Murder Song?

There was something I heard the other day that made me remark: bloimey,
that's even darker than End of the Rainbow but I can't remember what it
was. So add End of the Rainbow anyway.

2018-06-13 05:05:19 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's
a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
Aurora: Murder Song?
There was something I heard the other day that made me remark: bloimey,
that's even darker than End of the Rainbow but I can't remember what it
was. So add End of the Rainbow anyway.
I'd rate that as bleak and miserable rather than sad. I reckon Down
Where The Drunkards Roll, although less miserable, is sadder because it
speaks of broken lives and personal, human despair rather than bitter
pessimism about the world in general. Or am I drawing false distinctions?

It's cheery album from a jolly old soul, isn't it? Still brilliant, tough.
2018-06-13 07:32:54 UTC
I'd rate that as bleak and miserable rather than sad. I reckon Down
Where The Drunkards Roll, although less miserable, is sadder because it
speaks of broken lives and personal, human despair rather than bitter
pessimism about the world in general. Or am I drawing false distinctions?
It's cheery album from a jolly old soul, isn't it? Still brilliant, tough.
Dimming of the Day does it for me.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-13 10:13:36 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Dimming of the Day does it for me.
And for me.
Speaking of which, how Linda survived the Shoot Out the Lights
tour is a mystery.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-13 12:18:36 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Chris J Dixon
Dimming of the Day does it for me.
And for me.
Speaking of which, how Linda survived the Shoot Out the Lights
tour is a mystery.
Chris
It is rumoured that she gave as good as she got (or something like that).
2018-06-13 18:16:04 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me
it's a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
Aurora: Murder Song?
bloimey, that's even darker than End of the Rainbow but I can't
remember what it was. So add End of the Rainbow anyway.
I'd rate that as bleak and miserable rather than sad.  I reckon Down
Where The Drunkards Roll, although less miserable, is sadder because it
speaks of broken lives and personal, human despair rather than bitter
pessimism about the world in general.  Or am I drawing false distinctions?
It's cheery album from a jolly old soul, isn't it?  Still brilliant, tough.
Fair doos. I still haven't seen anybody uprate or down rate my
suggestion of Murder Song. Here's a glimpse....

May I also nominate a Shaker song, Lay me Low?

Of course the McGarrigle sisters are the finishing touch here..

2018-06-13 19:56:09 UTC
[...]
http://youtu.be/jTwdGRHl5Mw
Stunning. Is the rest of the album as good as that ? Time to add her to
my stable of "Wailing Women" as the waife calls them...
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-14 06:20:19 UTC
Fair doos. I still haven't seen anybody uprate or down rate my
suggestion of Murder Song. Here's a glimpse....
http://youtu.be/jTwdGRHl5Mw
Stunning. Is the rest of the album as good as that ?  Time to add her to
my stable of "Wailing Women" as the waife calls them...
Yes, I'll be looking into her album, too. Thanks, Nick.
2018-06-12 22:23:25 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written. For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
(This thread will run and run!)

"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning

was apparently on the blacklist of some radio stations because it was so
sad (some claims it increased suicides, though I suspect that's hype).

Myfanwy (pronounced muvanu), though I do have a personal reason for that
one - it was delivered by several members of the male voice choir of
which he was a member; that, in a confined space - well, not a dry eye
in the house doesn't begin to convey it.
gives a fair impression, and
has the advantage of having English subtitles.

Honey ("see the tree, how big it's grown"), by Bobby Goldsborough,
is another good contender.
(AKA "Tous ler arbres sont en fleurs".)

At the moment, I think the best contender I can think of is "If You Go
Away" - but it _has_ to be the Dusty Springfield version, such as
- right to the spoken end.
As a small child, I couldn't listen to that one.

(I've deliberately chosen YouTubes for those last two that _aren't_
videos of the performer.)

Unfortunately, all of the above four could be described as "corny",
meaning that the composers/lyricists/arrangers - and even performers, to
some extent - press all the right buttons, to _manufacture_ the emotion
of sadness; however, I suspect that if you want a song that is sad of
its own accord, then it will be such a song. Other songs will mostly be
sad because of what memories they provoke or what they are related to -
"Pack up your troubles" as they sang as they marched to their deaths,
"Lili Marleen/Marlene"/"We'll Meet Again"/etc. for general wartime
connections, or any one that has a personal connection for you.

(My blind friend always refers to that last one as "Whalemeat again",
which as he says must have been sometimes said during the war!)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-12 22:43:07 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 23:23:25 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning http://youtu.be/KG_VIcoiCFA
http://youtu.be/hNtn8B3zz8g gives a fair impression, and
http://youtu.be/rZiEY3O-FWk is another good contender.
http://youtu.be/QCWrJMQbsGQ - right to the spoken end.
As a small child, I couldn't listen to that one.
(I've deliberately chosen YouTubes for those last two that _aren't_
videos of the performer.)
Unfortunately, all of the above four could be described as "corny",
If we are admitting corny, then Everly Brothers Ebony Eyes.
Rod Steward Killing of George
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-13 05:25:47 UTC
[...]
The Shangri-Las

Personally, I've got no problem with corny. One person's deeply moving
poignancy is another person's load of corny old schlock and I'm really
enjoying reading people's choices - even if I *hate* Bobby Goldsboro and
all his works :o). So what? I can't stand most of Bartok or Wagner
either; music's just a personal thing. I mean, I actually have days
when I find Are You Lonesome Tonight genuinely touching (and others when
I think it's hilariously OTT, to be fair). I don't think anyone should
ever have to be apologetic about the music they like.
2018-06-13 08:18:47 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 06:25:47 +0100, Sid Nuncius
[...]
Actually The Killing of George is not at all corny. I was posting
late, last thing. What about Lenard Cohen then? Music to commit
suicide by.
That's no way to say goodbye.
BrritSki
One of my fave saddest. Also Anna by the Beatles.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-13 09:53:26 UTC
That's no way to say goodbye.
One of my fave saddest. Also Anna by the Beatles.
Kudos for that Britters! The best Beatles cover version of all IMHO.
Much has been made of Lennon's shot throat on Twist and Shout but his
anguished rendering of Anna, which gets much less attention, caps that.
He piles a whole lot of extra angst on Arthur Alexander's original,
which is pretty good in its own right.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-13 10:02:21 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:53:26 +0100, Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's no way to say goodbye.
One of my fave saddest. Also Anna by the Beatles.
Kudos for that Britters! The best Beatles cover version of all IMHO.
Much has been made of Lennon's shot throat on Twist and Shout but his
anguished rendering of Anna, which gets much less attention, caps that.
He piles a whole lot of extra angst on Arthur Alexander's original,
which is pretty good in its own right.
Lennon singing I'm a Loser or If I fell were the ones of his I liked
best. Or Rock and Roll Music.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-13 10:20:01 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's no way to say goodbye.
One of my fave saddest. Also Anna by the Beatles.
Kudos for that Britters! The best Beatles cover version of all IMHO.
Much has been made of Lennon's shot throat on Twist and Shout but his
anguished rendering of Anna, which gets much less attention, caps that.
He piles a whole lot of extra angst on Arthur Alexander's original,
which is pretty good in its own right.
You tube has some great comibinations

Leonard Cohen and Judy COllins

Or Dame Judy

She did Caberet years ago, didn't she?
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-13 10:45:11 UTC
So many versions of this and many good, but I like this one
particularly

The IDF's Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-14 08:39:18 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 06:25:47 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Personally, I've got no problem with corny. One person's deeply moving
poignancy is another person's load of corny old schlock and I'm really
I'm so glad you said that.
enjoying reading people's choices - even if I *hate* Bobby Goldsboro and
all his works :o). So what? I can't stand most of Bartok or Wagner
Well, I just mentioned him as I think his version of "Honey" is probably
the best-known. (I rather like Nana Mouskouri singing it in French.)
either; music's just a personal thing. I mean, I actually have days
when I find Are You Lonesome Tonight genuinely touching (and others when
I think it's hilariously OTT, to be fair). I don't think anyone should
ever have to be apologetic about the music they like.
Several of Elvis's are good sad ones. And there certainly is such a
thing as a good sad one: although some things have me streaming, I
actually still enjoy them immensely. The four Edith Piaf tracks on an EP
I have (!) used to set me off - often just the first few seconds of the
instrumental introduction - and they aren't even all sad! (Milord, Les
Trois Cloches, Hymne a l'amour ["if you love me"], and La Vie En Rose.
The first _note_ of that one suffices!)
One of my fave saddest. Also Anna by the Beatles.
Eleanor Rigby always strikes me as a sad song - about rather empty
lives.

A lot of outwardly happy pop songs are actually sad: as I've said, some
of Elvis's - and almost all of ABBA's first few albums (alba?).

Vikki Carr's "It must be him"; Cilla's "You're My World" and "Anyone who
had a heart".

Some pieces just set me off because they're beautiful, not even sad - or
are _so_ corny but the performance supersedes this. For example Judith
Durham singing the London derriere (or in fact a lot of things she
sings; I just find hers a tearfully beautiful voice).

once described by Eccentrica Golumbits as the best bang since the big one ...
(first series, fit the second)
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-14 09:07:09 UTC
Eleanor Rigby always strikes me as a sad song - about rather empty lives.
Yes indeed. Good thought. (And made all the more poignant by that
string quartet backing.)

I think Substitute (The Who) has some very poignant lyrics, too,
although the pounding treatment they give it masks them rather. I play
and sing (strictly in private) a quiet acoustic guitar version of my
own, which I think is very sad. Possibly in more senses than one... :o)
2018-06-13 08:30:42 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Other songs will mostly be
sad because of what memories they provoke or what they are related to -
It was years before I could sing Johnny Cash's 'I still miss someone'
without crying. Joan Baez did a lovely version

2018-06-13 20:00:52 UTC
"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning http://youtu.be/KG_VIcoiCFA
was apparently on the blacklist of some radio stations because it was so
sad (some claims it increased suicides, though I suspect that's hype).
That's one of the songs on "Dead! The Grim Reaper's Greatest Hits"
which is one of my favourite CDs!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2018-06-13 20:46:35 UTC
"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning
http://youtu.be/KG_VIcoiCFA was apparently on the
blacklist of some radio stations because it was so sad (some claims it
increased suicides, though I suspect that's hype).
That's one of the songs on "Dead!  The Grim Reaper's Greatest Hits"
which is one of my favourite CDs!
I had to go and look that one up. Glorious! And I see there's a second
volume too: Still Dead.

2018-06-14 05:44:53 UTC
"Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning
http://youtu.be/KG_VIcoiCFA was apparently on the
blacklist of some radio stations because it was so sad (some claims it
increased suicides, though I suspect that's hype).
That's one of the songs on "Dead!  The Grim Reaper's Greatest Hits"
which is one of my favourite CDs!
<languid wave>
It may well have been you who pointed me to that disc. If so, thank you
- it's a gem.
2018-06-13 09:00:29 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
There are lots of sad songs, but the music that makes me completely
dissolve, every time, is this little scrap of curtain music from
Purcell's Indian Queen. The viola line is what does for me. It was one
of the last pieces he wrote and I want it played at my funeral.

2018-06-13 12:57:33 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's
a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
There are lots of sad songs, but the music that makes me completely
dissolve, every time, is this little scrap of curtain music from
Purcell's Indian Queen. The viola line is what does for me. It was one
of the last pieces he wrote and I want it played at my funeral.
http://youtu.be/j_xnlSHFMms
That's lovely.

The only time I've really cried over a piece of music was hearing
Menuhin play the Bruch violin concerto at a Halle concert. I had not
long discovered the joys of classical music and it was one of the first
concerts I attended. I was completely overwhelmed and rather surprised
to find tears streaming down my face. And when I collected myself and
looked around me, I wasn't the only one.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-13 09:59:05 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
A bid here for Who Knows Where The Time Goes. Anything Sandy sang turns
me to jelly but even though WKWTTG is ostensibly a love song it's a very
bleak one and there's a chilling desperation to those final lines. "My
time is running out, please don't leave me alone at the end", says the
subtext. My eyes stream every time.
krw
2018-06-13 10:04:14 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's
a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
A bid here for Who Knows Where The Time Goes. Anything Sandy sang turns
me to jelly but even though WKWTTG is ostensibly a love song it's a very
bleak one and there's a chilling desperation to those final lines. "My
time is running out, please don't leave me alone at the end", says the
subtext. My eyes stream every time.
My vote as well. But then I would say that wouldn't I?
SODAM
2018-06-13 10:57:04 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
My saddest song is “When I am Laid in Earth”, especially when sung by the
incomparable Janet Baker. (All right, or the equally incomparable Kathleen
Ferrier)

It is almost as effective when played by a military band on Remembrance Day
at the Cenotaph.

Another contender would be Don McClean‘s “Empty Chairs”

<wipes eyes and nose> It’s the hay fever, you know.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Chris J Dixon
2018-06-13 10:32:42 UTC
It must be something in the way Roy Bailey performs, that much of
it hits the spot for me. This in particular:

Which is "Everything Possible", written by Fred Small.

<https://genius.com/Fred-small-everything-possible-lyrics>

"New Year's Eve" is another from Roy, but I can't find a link. It
can be sampled here:

<https://www.deezer.com/us/album/7380000>

Lyric here:

<http://sikahn.iriswebs.com/downloads/new-years-eve/>

I think that is more than enough sadness right now.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Steve Hague
2018-06-13 13:08:32 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
You never heard Old Shep then.
Steve

---
2018-06-13 16:24:44 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's
a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
You never heard Old Shep then.
:o) Oh, yes. I'm too busy laughing to be sad when I listen to it, though.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-13 18:39:14 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
And a word in edgeways for the sublime Roy Orbison (who amazingly will
have been dead for thirty years later this month; that is seriously scary).

And not so much sad as a singing on the brink of cracking up from despair...

BrritSki
2018-06-13 19:40:30 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
And a word in edgeways for the sublime Roy Orbison (who amazingly will
have been dead for thirty years later this month; that is seriously scary).
http://youtu.be/TPqZs7Vl_xg
That led me to this, which was seriously good, although not sad. I only
recognised the Boss and ELvis C - who was the gitarist in the suit and
tie and the one in the white jacket ?

http://youtu.be/94J1-XdJS1A
Sublime, as you said up there...
Nick Odell
2018-06-13 20:56:42 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's
a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
And a word in edgeways for the sublime Roy Orbison (who amazingly will
have been dead for thirty years later this month; that is seriously scary).
I thought he died nearer the end of the year?
Nick
Rosalind Mitchell
I mean to write later this year. Age is encroaching on me.
Clive Arthur
2018-06-14 16:27:32 UTC
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in otherrats'
nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me it's a toss-up
between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
This always gets to me...

Cheers
Clive
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-14 18:47:27 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Sid Nuncius
Following the Fleetwood Mac thread, I would be interested in
otherrats' nominations for The Saddest Song Ever Written.  For me
it's a toss-up between Fleetwood Mac's Man Of The World
http://youtu.be/-nMGJSHZIw4
and Nymphes Nappées by Josquin Desprez, roughly 450 years earlier
http://youtu.be/nPJoOMyGFr8
YM will almost certainly V.
This always gets to me...
http://youtu.be/-sfYodSxRAw
Cheers
Hmm! I'm afraid I was expecting something almost from the start (and
also, couldn't make out some of the words). A couple of those linked
from that - Judy Garland singing "weigh a pie" just for its innocence,
but also Judi Dench's delivery of "Send in the Clowns" is very moving.
http://youtu.be/yvZex3Qf7QQ though the first time I
heard her sing it was in a less formal setting.

"This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stoopid gesture be done
on somebody's part." "We're just the guys to do it." Eric "Otter" Stratton (Tim
Matheson) and John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi) - N. L's Animal House
(1978)