How old are Nic's kids?
2018-02-24 10:36:21 UTC
I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:

"Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
incentive to return to employment."

So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
is just about at school.

But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
several families where the biological father is still around, but the
step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?
2018-02-24 10:41:19 UTC
On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
> actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:
>
> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
> incentive to return to employment."
>
> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
> is just about at school.

That's about the ages I would have guessed at, too.

> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?

I have a feeling that we heard references to him failing to do so, when
Nic first knew Will. I'm sure we would have heard if Will had adopted
the children, it would have been a pretty major storyline (remembering
what was involved when Alistair adopted Daniel), especially as it would
have involved Andrew agreeing to sign away all his parental rights and
responsibilities.

COMMITTEE: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.
Vicky
2018-02-24 11:03:47 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:41:19 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
>> actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:
>>
>> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
>> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
>> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
>> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
>> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
>> incentive to return to employment."
>>
>> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
>> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
>> is just about at school.
>
>That's about the ages I would have guessed at, too.
>
>> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
>> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
>> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
>> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
>> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
>> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?
>>

>I have a feeling that we heard references to him failing to do so, when
>Nic first knew Will. I'm sure we would have heard if Will had adopted
>the children, it would have been a pretty major storyline (remembering
>what was involved when Alistair adopted Daniel), especially as it would
>have involved Andrew agreeing to sign away all his parental rights and
>responsibilities.

We had the adoption storyline when Rob wanted to adopt Umbrella, and
then backed off when it meant being investigated, and he opted for
some other way of having legal responsibility. Maybe Will did that
one?

2018-02-24 11:08:00 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:03:47 +0000, Vicky <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:41:19 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
><***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
>>> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
>>> actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:
>>>
>>> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
>>> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
>>> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
>>> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
>>> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
>>> incentive to return to employment."
>>>
>>> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
>>> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
>>> is just about at school.
>>
>>That's about the ages I would have guessed at, too.
>>
>>> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
>>> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
>>> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
>>> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
>>> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
>>> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?
>>>

>>I have a feeling that we heard references to him failing to do so, when
>>Nic first knew Will. I'm sure we would have heard if Will had adopted
>>the children, it would have been a pretty major storyline (remembering
>>what was involved when Alistair adopted Daniel), especially as it would
>>have involved Andrew agreeing to sign away all his parental rights and
>>responsibilities.
>
>We had the adoption storyline when Rob wanted to adopt Umbrella, and
>then backed off when it meant being investigated, and he opted for
>some other way of having legal responsibility. Maybe Will did that
>one?

But Henry didn't have a father to give up parental rights. There is a
lesser form, which gave Rob the right to make decisions about Henry,
like which school he went to.

No, we've never heard anything about this, but it must have been an
issue in some instances. Will does not have parental rights,
therefore will not have any right to keep Jake & Mia if Andrew wants
them back.
2018-02-24 12:07:21 UTC
On 24/02/2018 11:08, Fenny wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:03:47 +0000, Vicky <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 10:41:19 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> That's about the ages I would have guessed at, too.

>>> I have a feeling that we heard references to him failing to do so, when
>>> Nic first knew Will. I'm sure we would have heard if Will had adopted
>>> the children, it would have been a pretty major storyline (remembering
>>> what was involved when Alistair adopted Daniel), especially as it would
>>> have involved Andrew agreeing to sign away all his parental rights and
>>> responsibilities.
>>
>> We had the adoption storyline when Rob wanted to adopt Umbrella, and
>> then backed off when it meant being investigated, and he opted for
>> some other way of having legal responsibility. Maybe Will did that
>> one?
>
> But Henry didn't have a father to give up parental rights. There is a
> lesser form, which gave Rob the right to make decisions about Henry,
> like which school he went to.
>
> No, we've never heard anything about this, but it must have been an
> issue in some instances. Will does not have parental rights,
> therefore will not have any right to keep Jake & Mia if Andrew wants
> them back.

I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.

If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
different.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. (Carroll Bryant)
Vicky
2018-02-24 12:15:38 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 24/02/2018 11:08, Fenny wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 11:03:47 +0000, Vicky <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> We had the adoption storyline when Rob wanted to adopt Umbrella, and
>>> then backed off when it meant being investigated, and he opted for
>>> some other way of having legal responsibility. Maybe Will did that
>>> one?
>>
>> But Henry didn't have a father to give up parental rights. There is a
>> lesser form, which gave Rob the right to make decisions about Henry,
>> like which school he went to.
>>
>> No, we've never heard anything about this, but it must have been an
>> issue in some instances. Will does not have parental rights,
>> therefore will not have any right to keep Jake & Mia if Andrew wants
>> them back.
>>

>I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>
>If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
>Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
>different.

It sounds as if they are old enough to be asked by the court officers
and social workers who they want to stay with. That might be Clarrie?
:)

On another track; fb place is asking why did Nic say she had been bad
and might not qualify for The Good Place (an excellent tv programme,
milord)? What was suggested was that she ran Matt over.

Also, I forgot why Will had to cancel their planned day out, that she
wouldn't have been up to anyway. Brian wanted him to do something that
took all day, but what? Might Will now blame Brian? He might now be
angry with him. He hasn't had time off for months and it had been
agreed, and was it important to make him cancel it? And if he'd been
with Nic he would have taken her to hospital earlier, as he said.

2018-02-24 13:02:28 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2018 11:08, Fenny wrote:

>>> But Henry didn't have a father to give up parental rights. There is a
>>> lesser form, which gave Rob the right to make decisions about Henry,
>>> like which school he went to.
>>>
>>> No, we've never heard anything about this, but it must have been an
>>> issue in some instances. Will does not have parental rights,
>>> therefore will not have any right to keep Jake & Mia if Andrew wants
>>> them back.
>>>

>> I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>> court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>> uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>> all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>>
>> If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
>> Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
>> different.
>

> It sounds as if they are old enough to be asked by the court officers
> and social workers who they want to stay with. That might be Clarrie?
> :)
>

> On another track; fb place is asking why did Nic say she had been bad
> and might not qualify for The Good Place (an excellent tv programme,
> milord)? What was suggested was that she ran Matt over.
>
> Also, I forgot why Will had to cancel their planned day out, that she
> wouldn't have been up to anyway. Brian wanted him to do something that
> took all day, but what? Might Will now blame Brian? He might now be
> angry with him. He hasn't had time off for months and it had been
> agreed, and was it important to make him cancel it? And if he'd been
> with Nic he would have taken her to hospital earlier, as he said.

Brian wished to pander to the whims of some wealthy ‘guns’ who are amusing
themselves with the possibility of shooting feathers out of the air on
Brian’s land; Brian wanted Wiwll to be present to answer awkward questions
- money is at stake so forget your leave entitlement Wiwll and get to it -
you can take your family out any old time,

2018-02-24 13:11:27 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:02:28 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>>> court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>>> uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>>> all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>>>
>>> If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
>>> Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
>>> different.
>>

>> It sounds as if they are old enough to be asked by the court officers
>> and social workers who they want to stay with. That might be Clarrie?
>> :)
>>

>> On another track; fb place is asking why did Nic say she had been bad
>> and might not qualify for The Good Place (an excellent tv programme,
>> milord)? What was suggested was that she ran Matt over.
>>
>> Also, I forgot why Will had to cancel their planned day out, that she
>> wouldn't have been up to anyway. Brian wanted him to do something that
>> took all day, but what? Might Will now blame Brian? He might now be
>> angry with him. He hasn't had time off for months and it had been
>> agreed, and was it important to make him cancel it? And if he'd been
>> with Nic he would have taken her to hospital earlier, as he said.
>>

>Brian wished to pander to the whims of some wealthy ‘guns’ who are amusing
>themselves with the possibility of shooting feathers out of the air on
>Brian’s land; Brian wanted Wiwll to be present to answer awkward questions
>- money is at stake so forget your leave entitlement Wiwll and get to it -
>you can take your family out any old time,

I think Will will get to the angry that Nic died stage soon and after
he continues to blame himself will realise he had an order fromBrian
he felt he had to obey but it was not a necessary part of the job and
he'll get angry with him.

2018-02-24 17:52:18 UTC
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>>> court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>>> uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>>> all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>>>
>>> If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
>>> Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
>>> different.
>>

>> It sounds as if they are old enough to be asked by the court officers
>> and social workers who they want to stay with. That might be Clarrie?
>> :)
>>

>> On another track; fb place is asking why did Nic say she had been bad
>> and might not qualify for The Good Place (an excellent tv programme,
>> milord)? What was suggested was that she ran Matt over.
>>
>> Also, I forgot why Will had to cancel their planned day out, that she
>> wouldn't have been up to anyway. Brian wanted him to do something that
>> took all day, but what? Might Will now blame Brian? He might now be
>> angry with him. He hasn't had time off for months and it had been
>> agreed, and was it important to make him cancel it? And if he'd been
>> with Nic he would have taken her to hospital earlier, as he said.
>>

> Brian wished to pander to the whims of some wealthy ‘guns’ who are amusing
> themselves with the possibility of shooting feathers out of the air on
> Brian’s land; Brian wanted Wiwll to be present to answer awkward questions
> - money is at stake so forget your leave entitlement Wiwll and get to it -
> you can take your family out any old time,

Which reminded me that Borchester must have had a different half term to
some of us, ours being last week.

Sincerely Chris
Robin Stevens
2018-02-24 21:39:59 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:

> Which reminded me that Borchester must have had a different half term to
> some of us, ours being last week.

Some of my colleagues were absent on half-term duties this week, and some
the week before. I assume it's one of these things that varies according
to local authority.
Fenny
2018-02-24 21:58:02 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 21:39:59 +0000 (UTC), Robin Stevens
<***@cynic.org.uk> wrote:

>Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
>
>> Which reminded me that Borchester must have had a different half term to
>> some of us, ours being last week.
>
>Some of my colleagues were absent on half-term duties this week, and some
>the week before. I assume it's one of these things that varies according
>to local authority.

Warwickshire half term was last week. Northamptonshire was the week
before.
2018-02-25 13:49:25 UTC
Robin Stevens <***@cynic.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
>
>> Which reminded me that Borchester must have had a different half term to
>> some of us, ours being last week.
>
> Some of my colleagues were absent on half-term duties this week, and some
> the week before. I assume it's one of these things that varies according
> to local authority.

And the type of school. Some schools have a six term year. Two weeks off
every six weeks in effect and four weeks in summer. A friend works in a
school/home for teenagers with serious behaviour problems. It was
something that was once touted as a better way of teaching but it didn’t
catch on.

2018-02-24 14:04:09 UTC
On 24/02/2018 12:15, Vicky wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 24/02/2018 11:08, Fenny wrote:

>>> But Henry didn't have a father to give up parental rights. There is a
>>> lesser form, which gave Rob the right to make decisions about Henry,
>>> like which school he went to.
>>>
>>> No, we've never heard anything about this, but it must have been an
>>> issue in some instances. Will does not have parental rights,
>>> therefore will not have any right to keep Jake & Mia if Andrew wants
>>> them back.
>>>

>> I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>> court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>> uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>> all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>>
>> If they've actually been spending significant amounts of time with
>> Andrew though, on a regular basis and are close to him, that would be
>> different.
>

> It sounds as if they are old enough to be asked by the court officers
> and social workers who they want to stay with. That might be Clarrie?
> :)

I suspect it would be Will, with Clarrie as backup.

> On another track; fb place is asking why did Nic say she had been bad
> and might not qualify for The Good Place (an excellent tv programme,
> milord)? What was suggested was that she ran Matt over.

That's a thought. Didn't she leave The Bull not long before Matt did.
I can't think of any reason why she would have deliberately run him over
but, if she had hit him, she might well have panicked and fled.

> Also, I forgot why Will had to cancel their planned day out, that she
> wouldn't have been up to anyway. Brian wanted him to do something that
> took all day, but what? Might Will now blame Brian? He might now be
> angry with him. He hasn't had time off for months and it had been
> agreed, and was it important to make him cancel it? And if he'd been
> with Nic he would have taken her to hospital earlier, as he said.

I'm sure he's going to blame Brian.

Not only would it be entirely in character for him to blame anyone and
everyone but it would also make sense of his recent sycophancy towards
Brian. That was why I had originally predicted it was going to be
poisoning from the pollution which did for[1] her, because it seemed
obvious that they were setting Will up for a major change in attitude
towards Brian.

[1] I hadn't been sure at that stage whether it was going to be death or
long term illness/disability.
Q. What do you call a fairy who hasn't had a wash for a week?
A. Stinkerbell
Fenny
2018-02-24 17:49:27 UTC
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.

I'm too knackered to bother looking it up [1], but I remember in
various TV shows, including William & Mary, where even a birth father
who is not married to the mother doesn't have any rights over the
child if mother dies and father is not named on the birth certificate.
So, if Andrew's name *is* on the birth certificate and Will hasn't
applied for any kind of parental responsibility, there may be issues.

[1] Over 2 weeks of a lurgy that seems to have settled nicely on my
chest just at the wrong time, as I have to be Very Active tomorrow
afternoon.
2018-02-24 17:58:19 UTC
Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net> wrote:
>.
>
> [1] Over 2 weeks of a lurgy that seems to have settled nicely on my
> chest just at the wrong time, as I have to be Very Active tomorrow
> afternoon.

Great expectorations?

2018-02-25 00:29:29 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:58:19 +0000, Mike wrote:

> Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net> wrote:
>>.
>>
>> [1] Over 2 weeks of a lurgy that seems to have settled nicely on my
>> chest just at the wrong time, as I have to be Very Active tomorrow
>> afternoon.
>
> Great expectorations?

Bleak nose?

2018-02-25 08:20:39 UTC

If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC
Mike
2018-02-25 08:28:04 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2018 01:29, steveski wrote:

>>> Great expectorations?
>>
>> Bleak nose?
>>
> If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC

Getting abreast of the problem?

2018-02-25 09:07:49 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/2018 01:29, steveski wrote:

>>> Great expectorations?
>>
>> Bleak nose?
>>
> If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC

Isn’t it funny how you read a post and just /know/ who the poster is before
you look:-)

2018-02-25 09:53:10 UTC
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:20:39 +0100, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 25/02/2018 01:29, steveski wrote:

>>> Great expectorations?
>>
>> Bleak nose?
>>
>If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC

The Very Active thing is my kickboxing grading. If I pass this one, I
get to take my black belt in September.
2018-02-25 10:13:23 UTC
On 25/02/2018 10:53, Fenny wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:20:39 +0100, BrritSki
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Bleak nose?
>>>
>> If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC
>
> The Very Active thing is my kickboxing grading. If I pass this one, I
> get to take my black belt in September.

Is that a warning Fenny ? ;)

Hope it all goes well today...
Fenny
2018-02-25 10:37:48 UTC
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:13:23 +0100, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Very Active thing is my kickboxing grading. If I pass this one, I
>> get to take my black belt in September.
>>
>Is that a warning Fenny ? ;)

No more than letting the information out at work that one of the
Internal Audit team kicks people for fun ;-)

>Hope it all goes well today...

Ta. As long as I can actually breath, I should be OK.
2018-02-25 21:09:50 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 25/02/2018 01:29, steveski wrote:

>>> Great expectorations?
>> Bleak nose?
>>
>If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC

I think that's a _Sale_ of ... it's next to Olson's book of British
Birds (the expurgated version), and Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity
Surveying.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand
Mike
2018-02-26 12:42:55 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
> <***@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Bleak nose?
>>>
>> If it's on her chest, a Tale of Two T... IGMC
>>
> I think that's a _Sale_ of ... it's next to Olson's book of British
> Birds (the expurgated version), and Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity
> Surveing

.... and tractor maintenance in the Urals.

2018-02-26 13:11:23 UTC

Mike
2018-02-26 13:38:03 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2018 13:42, Mike wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>> I think that's a _Sale_ of ... it's next to Olson's book of British
>>> Birds (the expurgated version), and Ethel the Aardvark goes Quantity
>>> Surveing
>>
>> .... and tractor maintenance in the Urals.
>>
> I don't think Dickens wrote any of those :/

No, no, more likely Dharles Chickens.

2018-02-26 17:03:06 UTC
In message <%4UkC.225325$***@fx23.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> .... and tractor maintenance in the Urals.
>>>
>> I don't think Dickens wrote any of those :/
>>

>No, no, more likely Dharles Chickens.

I think in the original, the Sale of two Titties _was_ allegedly written
by ... "with two Ks and a silent Q". Or something like that. Hang on ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCM2nEBE0RY (go to 0'56 perhaps). (I'd
got a few of the details wrong ...)

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Vicky
2018-02-24 18:03:20 UTC
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:49:27 +0000, Fenny
<***@removethis.onetel.net> wrote:

> Over 2 weeks of a lurgy that seems to have settled nicely on my
>chest just at the wrong time, as I have to be Very Active tomorrow
>afternoon.

So I caught it from you! I began sneezing, coughing and feeling very
chesty on Wednesday and wasn't able to go out at all or do anythiing
except sit around complaining until today and now it's settled to a
cough. I have my regular childminding on Monday and have given early
warning that I'm feeling too ill just now and if I don't feel quite a
bit better can't do it. I haven't felt well enough to drive yet,
expecially first thing to gym and swim, as it means de-icing the car.
I think grandpa is on standby.

2018-02-24 18:26:53 UTC
On 24/02/2018 17:49, Fenny wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:07:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> I think he'd have a good chance of being granted parental rights by the
>> court, if he chose to fight for them, assuming Andrew has been as
>> uninvolved as we suspect. William's been their de facto dad for almost
>> all of their lives, which would count for quite a lot.
>
> I'm too knackered to bother looking it up [1], but I remember in
> various TV shows, including William & Mary, where even a birth father
> who is not married to the mother doesn't have any rights over the
> child if mother dies and father is not named on the birth certificate.
> So, if Andrew's name *is* on the birth certificate and Will hasn't
> applied for any kind of parental responsibility, there may be issues.

Will certainly wouldn't be able to automatically assume responsibility
for the children, hence my reference to the court. If he wanted to fight
for them though, I do think he would have a good chance of winning
especially if Jake and Mia said they wanted to stay with him.

> [1] Over 2 weeks of a lurgy that seems to have settled nicely on my
> chest just at the wrong time, as I have to be Very Active tomorrow
> afternoon.

Hope it eases up soon and that you're OK for tomorrow.

I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Chris McMillan
2018-02-24 17:52:17 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
>> actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:
>>
>> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
>> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
>> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
>> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
>> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
>> incentive to return to employment."
>>
>> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
>> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
>> is just about at school.
>
> That's about the ages I would have guessed at, too.
>
>> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
>> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
>> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
>> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
>> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
>> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?
>>

> I have a feeling that we heard references to him failing to do so, when
> Nic first knew Will. I'm sure we would have heard if Will had adopted
> the children, it would have been a pretty major storyline (remembering
> what was involved when Alistair adopted Daniel), especially as it would
> have involved Andrew agreeing to sign away all his parental rights and
> responsibilities.

Sneaking feeling Jake and George are about the same age.

2018-02-24 14:27:39 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Fenny
<***@removethis.onetel.net> writes:
[]
>But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
>unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
[]
That would be entirely plausible, not really needing the PTF: people
sometimes _do_ turn themselves around and become a better person, given
a period of ten or more years. (In Ambridge, often a lot less - I think
Toby's improved faster than is really credible, though perhaps impending
fatherhood may be a factor there.) Although in Ambridge a person not
mentioned for some years also often comes back just as bad, when the
plot "requires" (i. e. SWs are a bit short) - Matt, Hazel ...

(Talking of Hazel, she was IIRR persuaded - with bad grace - to give
something a few years' reprieve: wasn't it [the building that contains]
the village shop? Those few years must be up soon ...)

(please reply to group - they also serve who only look and lurk)
(William Allen, 1999 - after Milton, of course)
carolet
2018-02-24 20:45:49 UTC
On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are. They don't warrant any
> actual info on the BBC TA page. All it says is:
>
> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
> incentive to return to employment."
>
> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April. Poppy
> is just about at school.
>
> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids. I know
> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?

According to one of the old Who's Whos, Jake and Mia was born in 2004
and 2006, presumably in that order. It does not give their birthdays
but, given the early state of the year, we can probably assume that
their birthdays are yet to come, giving ages of 13 and 11.

Poppy was born on the 30th September 2013, making her 4 now. George was
born on the 7th April 2005, making him 12.

Andrew is referred to as Nic's former parther in the Who's Who that I
looked at, so I presume that he was not married to Nic. That does not
mean that he was not registered as their father of course.

We do know that Jake and Mia decided that they wanted to use the surname
Grundy after Nic married Will (on 1st January 2012), and changed her
surname. Presumably, Andrew did not object to that. Could this indicate
that he might also have agreed to their adoption?

2018-02-24 21:38:03 UTC
On 24/02/2018 20:45, carolet wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 10:36, Fenny wrote:
>> I'm trying to find out how old Jake & Mia are.  They don't warrant any
>> actual info on the BBC TA page.  All it says is:
>>
>> "Will Grundy started dating single mother Nic in the summer of 2007...
>> Nic was living in a small rented house after an acrimonious break-up
>> with her unreliable (and unfaithful) partner Andrew. Since giving up
>> her job at Regal Coaches in Hollerton after the birth of her second
>> child Mia, Nic found herself caught in a "benefit trap", with little
>> incentive to return to employment."
>>
>> So Mia must be getting on for 11 at least and Jake is older, probably
>> about 13, but is he older than George, who will be 13 in April.  Poppy
>> is just about at school.
>>
>> But it also gives the impression that Andrew is a waste of space,
>> unless he's also had a total personality transplant in later years.
>> This is why I thought Will might have adopted the kids.  I know
>> several families where the biological father is still around, but the
>> step father has adopted the kids to have full parental responsibility.
>> Has Andrew ever paid maintenance for them?
>>

> According to one of the old Who's Whos, Jake and Mia was born in 2004
> and 2006, presumably in that order. It does not give their birthdays
> but, given the early state of the year, we can probably assume that
> their birthdays are yet to come, giving ages of 13 and 11.
>
> Poppy was born on the 30th September 2013, making her 4 now. George was
> born on the 7th April 2005, making him 12.
>
> Andrew is referred to as Nic's former parther in the Who's Who that I
> looked at, so I presume that he was not married to Nic. That does not
> mean that he was not registered as their father of course.
>
> We do know that Jake and Mia decided that they wanted to use the surname
> Grundy after Nic married Will (on 1st January 2012), and changed her
> surname. Presumably, Andrew did not object to that. Could this indicate
> that he might also have agreed to their adoption?

I'd be very cross if it turned out that Will had adopted them, with
never a word being said about it. Even if Andrew agreed to it, it would
be far from being just a formality and would have required a major
assessment of the family, taking months and a court hearing. Not
something which might easily happen without being picked up on any of
the mikes in the village.

Nothing right in my left brain. Nothing left in my right brain (anon)
LFS
2018-02-25 12:40:38 UTC
On 24/02/2018 21:38, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> I'd be very cross if it turned out that Will had adopted them, with
> never a word being said about it.  Even if Andrew agreed to it, it would
> be far from being just a formality and would have required a major
> assessment of the family, taking months and a court hearing.  Not
> something which might easily happen without being picked up on any of
> the mikes in the village.

I don't think that will matter to the editor and SWs who seem happy to
ignore or rewrite history.

Nic was one of the few women in Ambridge who I like and the sudden death
of a young woman is very sad.

2018-02-25 13:11:23 UTC
On 25/02/2018 12:40, LFS wrote:
> On 24/02/2018 21:38, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>>
>> I'd be very cross if it turned out that Will had adopted them, with
>> never a word being said about it.  Even if Andrew agreed to it, it
>> would be far from being just a formality and would have required a
>> major assessment of the family, taking months and a court hearing.
>> Not something which might easily happen without being picked up on any
>> of the mikes in the village.
>>

> I don't think that will matter to the editor and SWs who seem happy to
> ignore or rewrite history.

Sadly, I think you may well be right and I'm ready to get cross with
them. There's a good chance though that a tug of love case, with Will
fighting Beverley and/or Andrew over the future of Jake and Mia.

> Nic was one of the few women in Ambridge who I like and the sudden death
> of a young woman is very sad.

Same here.

While respecting the experiences and opinions of others, do not be
afraid to say what you have found and what you value. (Quaker Advices
and Queries #5)