Ask EU: Windows 10 DVD player
2017-05-05 09:11:55 UTC
Sorry to be AWOL for ages and then pop up asking for help, but...

I almost never play DVDs on my laptop. However, I do want to play one
now and have discovered that Widows 10 doesn't incorporate a DVD player
app. (Who thought that was a good idea, I wonder?) VLC won't play it,
for some reason.

Can anyrat advise on a decent app, please? I've googled and am wondering
about 5KPlayer, but I'm always cautious about installing programs and
only really trust the collective wisdom of Umra.

I'd be very glad of any advice.
2017-05-05 10:02:11 UTC
Sorry to be AWOL for ages and then pop up asking for help, but...
I almost never play DVDs on my laptop. However, I do want to play one
now and have discovered that Widows 10 doesn't incorporate a DVD player
app. (Who thought that was a good idea, I wonder?) VLC won't play it,
for some reason.
Can anyrat advise on a decent app, please? I've googled and am wondering
about 5KPlayer, but I'm always cautious about installing programs and
only really trust the collective wisdom of Umra.
I'd be very glad of any advice.
Are you sure Windows Media Player will not play it?

A played I sometimes use without problems is Media Player Classic Home
Cinema. Not sure just where it came from - web search should find it.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
DavidK
2017-05-05 10:56:41 UTC
Sorry to be AWOL for ages and then pop up asking for help, but...
I almost never play DVDs on my laptop. However, I do want to play one
now and have discovered that Widows 10 doesn't incorporate a DVD
player app. (Who thought that was a good idea, I wonder?) VLC won't
play it, for some reason.
Can anyrat advise on a decent app, please? I've googled and am
wondering about 5KPlayer, but I'm always cautious about installing
programs and only really trust the collective wisdom of Umra.
I'd be very glad of any advice.
Are you sure Windows Media Player will not play it?
A played I sometimes use without problems is Media Player Classic Home
Cinema. Not sure just where it came from - web search should find it.
Curiosity .... which DVD was it? I borrowed 'Arrival' from the library
and it was the first DVD I've found that VLC was unable to play. I'm on
linux and didn't explore any further.
Sid Nuncius
2017-05-05 15:58:21 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
It's Denial. A copy sent to a friend who has a vote on BAFTAs, and it's
labelled "For Your Consideration BAFTA 2017" so it may be non-standard,
but it says Region2 . PAL/ENGLISH 2.0/5.1.
2017-05-05 15:55:21 UTC
Sorry to be AWOL for ages and then pop up asking for help, but...
I almost never play DVDs on my laptop. However, I do want to play one
now and have discovered that Widows 10 doesn't incorporate a DVD
player app. (Who thought that was a good idea, I wonder?) VLC won't
play it, for some reason.
Can anyrat advise on a decent app, please? I've googled and am
wondering about 5KPlayer, but I'm always cautious about installing
programs and only really trust the collective wisdom of Umra.
I'd be very glad of any advice.
Are you sure Windows Media Player will not play it?
A played I sometimes use without problems is Media Player Classic Home
Cinema. Not sure just where it came from - web search should find it.
I don't seem to have WMP any more. I think that went west when Windows
10 installed itself.

I'll look into Media Player Classic Home Cinema - thanks.
2017-05-06 13:03:32 UTC
I don't seem to have WMP any more. I think that went west when Windows
10 installed itself.
If you do not have it you are still entitled to it. Google and you will
find instructions.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sid Nuncius
2017-05-07 08:11:47 UTC
I don't seem to have WMP any more. I think that went west when
Windows 10 installed itself.
If you do not have it you are still entitled to it. Google and you will
find instructions.
Found it. Had to use the search function, but it's now back in the apps
list. Thanks.

Hasn't solved the problem, but I've realised that it's to do with the
disc. I've rooted out another DVD which plays perfectly well with VLC
and WMP, so there's probably some copy protection or similar on Denial
which prevents it playing in a computer.

Thanks for the advice, all the same - it's been very helpful - and sorry
to have wasted everyone's time.
2017-05-07 08:14:04 UTC
I don't seem to have WMP any more. I think that went west when
Windows 10 installed itself.
If you do not have it you are still entitled to it. Google and you will
find instructions.
Found it. Had to use the search function, but it's now back in the apps
list. Thanks.
Hasn't solved the problem, but I've realised that it's to do with the
disc. I've rooted out another DVD which plays perfectly well with VLC
and WMP, so there's probably some copy protection or similar on Denial
which prevents it playing in a computer.
Thanks for the advice, all the same - it's been very helpful - and sorry
to have wasted everyone's time.
Iirc your disc included the letters PAL? Does this indicate it is produced
on an American system? If so, it needs converting.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-07 14:23:57 UTC
In message
Hasn't solved the problem, but I've realised that it's to do with the
disc. I've rooted out another DVD which plays perfectly well with VLC
and WMP, so there's probably some copy protection or similar on Denial
which prevents it playing in a computer.
Does it play in your normal DVD player (assuming you've got one)? If not
(it doesn't or you haven't), have you got another computer with a
different version of Windows (and/or Linux) you could try it on?
Thanks for the advice, all the same - it's been very helpful - and sorry
to have wasted everyone's time.
Not al all.
Post by Btms
Iirc your disc included the letters PAL? Does this indicate it is produced
on an American system? If so, it needs converting.
No, NTSC would be that.

(Stop reading now: following very OT.)

NTSC: national (like the World Series, of course) television standards
committee. First colour TV system widely used - basically, in the US.
Also refers to the number of lines on the picture and how many pictures
a second (525/30), which the same committee also laid down. AKA "never
twice same colour" - has a tendency to drift off, hence NTSC TV sets
having a "hue" control (not the same as the saturation or "colour"
control), though the tendency is much exaggerated.

SECAM: sequentiel couleur à memoire; a system designed (by guess who) to
correct the shortcomings of NTSC. AKA "something essentially contrary to
the American method" - which is actually quite a good description. Has
its own foibles. Mainly France (and, IIRR, the communist world; not sure
why, other than that they wouldn't [then] have wanted to use an American
one).

PAL: phase, alternate line; AKA "peace at last". German (I think) system
designed to not have the shortcomings of the other two. Most of Western
Europe (and I think Japan, but I'm not sure about that), including us.
Although strictly PAL refers only to the colour encoding system, it is
also informally often used to refer to the line/frame frequencies of
625/25.

DVDs do not necessarily encode _colour_ by any of these methods;
however, NTSC/PAL is as I've said often used to refer to the line/frame
standard, and if that is wrong, it may not play (or may play tall and
thin or short and fat) if played on the wrong sort of set. _Mostly_
irrelevant now, in these days of electronic image/video processing and
non-CRT monitors.

If your disc is PAL, it should _not_ require transcoding, for that
reason anyway. Any protection would be another matter.

I remember a lot of questions on a vocalist forum about the problems singing
"There is a balm in Gilead" without making it sound like a security alert. -
Linda Fox in UMRA, 2010-11-19
Penny
2017-05-07 15:38:25 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 15:23:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
DVDs do not necessarily encode _colour_ by any of these methods;
however, NTSC/PAL is as I've said often used to refer to the line/frame
standard, and if that is wrong, it may not play (or may play tall and
thin or short and fat) if played on the wrong sort of set. _Mostly_
irrelevant now, in these days of electronic image/video processing and
non-CRT monitors.
Ah, perhaps that explains why *some* episodes of MacGyver (which I've been
watching lately on CBSdrama) turn up in the wrong aspect ratio... somewhere
along the way someone made the wrong conversion?
2017-05-07 18:18:15 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
DVDs do not necessarily encode _colour_ by any of these methods;
however, NTSC/PAL is as I've said often used to refer to the line/frame
standard, and if that is wrong, it may not play (or may play tall and
thin or short and fat) if played on the wrong sort of set. _Mostly_
irrelevant now, in these days of electronic image/video processing and
non-CRT monitors.
Ah, perhaps that explains why *some* episodes of MacGyver (which I've been
watching lately on CBSdrama) turn up in the wrong aspect ratio... somewhere
along the way someone made the wrong conversion?
I suspect that's more a matter of someone switching in the wrong flag
included in the transmitted data stream, that instructs TVs and set-top
boxes what aspect ratio to use. Is MacGyver standard ("4:3") or
widescreen (usually "16:9")? And what shape screen are you watching it
on?

[No, I won't crosspost to uk.tech.broadcast ... (-:]

Just seen a Dyslexic Yorkshireman wearing a cat flap!
Penny
2017-05-07 20:10:11 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 19:18:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Ah, perhaps that explains why *some* episodes of MacGyver (which I've been
watching lately on CBSdrama) turn up in the wrong aspect ratio... somewhere
along the way someone made the wrong conversion?
I suspect that's more a matter of someone switching in the wrong flag
included in the transmitted data stream, that instructs TVs and set-top
boxes what aspect ratio to use. Is MacGyver standard ("4:3") or
widescreen (usually "16:9")? And what shape screen are you watching it
on?
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3. I suppose that was the
norm in 1985-92.

Hm, which makes me wonder if I'm misremembering which prog it was. Other
old TV I'm watching on a daily basis: SG1 (3.1:1), Sanctuary (16:9) and
Stargate Atlantis (16:9) so maybe it was one of the last 2...

*must pay more attention tomorrow
2017-05-07 21:50:21 UTC
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3. I suppose that was the
norm in 1985-92.
Hm, which makes me wonder if I'm misremembering which prog it was. Other
old TV I'm watching on a daily basis: SG1 (3.1:1), Sanctuary (16:9) and
Stargate Atlantis (16:9) so maybe it was one of the last 2...
McGyver was long before SG1 and SGA and most likely in the days when
television was pretty much all 4:3. I remember in the days of Buffy
and Angel that S3 of Angel was broadcast in a widescreen ratio, but
the VHS tapes I purchased had been edited down to 4:3, butchering the
scenes. I wrote a strongly worded review for Amazon on the subject,
which they failed to publish.

I never managed to warm to Sanctuary. The "painted" backgrounds were
far to obvious and I couldn't warm to the cast. Those who had been in
assorted SG shows were too recently someone else, and the young bloke
was just wimpy. But I'd watch SG-1 and SGA any day of the week if I
had time (and a licence).
2017-05-07 23:11:37 UTC
On Sun, 07 May 2017 22:50:21 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3. I suppose that was the
norm in 1985-92.
Hm, which makes me wonder if I'm misremembering which prog it was. Other
old TV I'm watching on a daily basis: SG1 (3.1:1), Sanctuary (16:9) and
Stargate Atlantis (16:9) so maybe it was one of the last 2...
McGyver was long before SG1 and SGA and most likely in the days when
television was pretty much all 4:3.
MacGyver 1985 - 1992
SG1 1997 - 2007 but still in 1.33:1 apparently (according to imdb)
SGA 2004 - 2009
Sanctuary 2008 - 2011
Post by Fenny
I never managed to warm to Sanctuary. The "painted" backgrounds were
far to obvious and I couldn't warm to the cast. Those who had been in
assorted SG shows were too recently someone else, and the young bloke
was just wimpy.
Being new to most of it (I did watch an early series of SG1 when first
broadcast but not the rest) I'm rather enjoying actor spotting between the
shows. There's even a TA cross-over with the dastardly Simon Pemberton
playing Watson (template for Sherlock Holmes) in Sanctuary.
It's all bonkers fantasy - just what I feel in need of just now.
Post by Fenny
But I'd watch SG-1 and SGA any day of the week if I
had time (and a licence).
I have both and watch all of them every weekday - I really should get out
more...
2017-05-08 17:16:24 UTC
Being new to most of it (I did watch an early series of SG1 when first
broadcast but not the rest)
I only caught episodes of SG-1 S8 when it was on before Smallville on
T4 Scifi Sundays. I then went back to the beginning and was very
happy that it was a suitable follow up to the movie, which is one of
my favourites.

S9 and 10 were less good (less Jack, Cam and Vala, Ori), but by that
time, I'd managed to catch up with SGA and was firmly in the McShep
camp!
2017-05-08 18:32:34 UTC
On Mon, 08 May 2017 18:16:24 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
I only caught episodes of SG-1 S8 when it was on before Smallville on
T4 Scifi Sundays. I then went back to the beginning and was very
happy that it was a suitable follow up to the movie, which is one of
my favourites.
I bought the movie (which I'd never seen) along with Continuum (which
tidies up the Ori, Vala story arc) and Ark of Truth recently. My main
problem with the original movie is the music which I found too loud and
intrusive it seemed to be channelling old Hollywood epics set in the Middle
East rather too much. Maybe it works better in the cinema.

It was interesting to note the changes made over the years - nobody falls
over and throws up while wiping the frost off their face after walking
through the gate from a few episodes into the 1st series.
Post by Fenny
S9 and 10 were less good (less Jack, Cam and Vala, Ori), but by that
time, I'd managed to catch up with SGA and was firmly in the McShep
camp!
I'm currently watching SA series 3 as it is on at a more convenient time of
day for recording than series 5 . Saw the whole of series 1 of SG1
recently (having already seen the later ones) but it doesn't seem to be on
at all at the moment (on any channel available to me).
2017-05-08 00:44:22 UTC
On Sun, 07 May 2017 22:50:21 +0100, Fenny wrote

[]
I remember in the days of Buffy and Angel that S3 of Angel was
broadcast in a widescreen ratio, but the VHS
tapes I purchased had been edited down to 4:3, butchering the scenes.
Exactly the same with Babylon 5* (all 5 series of 22 episodes plus the
films) but widescreen when I bought the DVDs (which took up a lot less
shelf space :-) ).

*Which is my connection with Steve Brooks.
Fenny
2017-05-08 17:12:49 UTC
Exactly the same with Babylon 5* (all 5 series of 22 episodes plus the
films) but widescreen when I bought the DVDs (which took up a lot less
shelf space :-) ).
I only had the first 4 seasons on VHS and someone I lent them to lost
one of the tapes. I now have all on DVD, but I think S1 is in a box
that is about the same size as the boxes for S2-5 combined. I don't
have the films - IIRC, Martin Sheen was in one of them.
2017-05-07 22:34:03 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3. I suppose that was the
norm in 1985-92.
Hmm. The only way 4:3 (1.33:1) material can be displayed on a 16:9
screen _without distortion_ is either "pillarboxed" (i. e. with black
bars either side; the opposite of "letterboxing"), or by chopping off
lots of the picture top and bottom; since you say it fills the screen,
it sounds like it's the latter. (I prefer pillarboxing, as I at least
know I'm getting all of the original picture and without distortion; but
the broadcasters are afraid people don't like black areas of screen, so
they tend to go for using the centre-strip method. Or, if they're really
incompetent, they just stretch the original material horizontally.)
Post by Penny
Hm, which makes me wonder if I'm misremembering which prog it was. Other
old TV I'm watching on a daily basis: SG1 (3.1:1), Sanctuary (16:9) and
Stargate Atlantis (16:9) so maybe it was one of the last 2...
*must pay more attention tomorrow
I don't think 3.1:1 was ever used for television material - or even
cinema: that would be a _very_ long thin strip! I think you probably
meant 1.33:1 (usually referred to as 4:3).

4:3 was the norm for TV material before the coming of widescreen - i. e.
up to surprisingly recently. Not just the original Star Trek, but some
of the more recent series - TNG certainly, and I think even Voyager (-:.
Certainly most of the material from what to one of my age is "the golden
age" of TV is 4:3.

"... four Oscars, and two further nominations ... On these criteria, he's
Britain's most successful film director." Powell or Pressburger? no; Richard
Attenborough? no; Nick Park!
Penny
2017-05-07 23:15:09 UTC
On Sun, 7 May 2017 23:34:03 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
[...]
As I said, I suspect my memory is faulty. I probably only notice the shape
of the picture when it is distorted, which it was on one episode of one of
them recently.
Hm, which makes me wonder if I'm misremembering which prog it was. Other
old TV I'm watching on a daily basis: SG1 (3.1:1), Sanctuary (16:9) and
Stargate Atlantis (16:9) so maybe it was one of the last 2...
I think you probably
meant 1.33:1 (usually referred to as 4:3).
Yep!
2017-05-08 18:09:46 UTC
On Sun, 07 May 2017 21:10:11 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3.
Can confirm that MacGyver fills my screen so I suppose it must pan & scan
(if that's the right term?). I've never noticed it missing anything
important at the top/bottom.

But this means it is more likely it was one of the 16:9 progs which was
mistakenly shown squashed up as 4:3 with black edges.
2017-05-08 18:52:17 UTC
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3.
Can confirm that MacGyver fills my screen so I suppose it must pan & scan
(if that's the right term?). I've never noticed it missing anything
No, that' was for the other way - back in the days when we all had 4:3
tellies, pan and scan was where they wanted to show a widescreen film,
and decided which part of the wide picture to give us: someone at the
broadcaster watched and swept the selected bit left or right as
appropriate. It often wasn't very satisfactory - especially in things
like a conversation between two people. (I always preferred
"letterboxing", where at least I got the whole picture as I'd have seen
it in the cinema, albeit smaller, but UK broadcasters thought their
audiences wouldn't like that, so it tended only to be done for
late-night films for buffs.)
Post by Penny
important at the top/bottom.
I don't _think_ they ever do the equivalent of pan and scan but up and
down; I think it's just that producers tended to keep the action in the
central stripe.
Post by Penny
But this means it is more likely it was one of the 16:9 progs which was
mistakenly shown squashed up as 4:3 with black edges.
Yes, if you - on a 16:9 screen - got something squashed horizontally
(everything tall and thin) with black sides, then someone had indeed
pressed the wrong button. (Can _sometimes_ be sorted by playing with the
settings on your set-top box if you're using one, though that's usually
for mistakes the other way round.)

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23
Penny
2017-05-08 20:55:37 UTC
On Mon, 8 May 2017 19:52:17 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, if you - on a 16:9 screen - got something squashed horizontally
(everything tall and thin) with black sides, then someone had indeed
pressed the wrong button. (Can _sometimes_ be sorted by playing with the
settings on your set-top box if you're using one, though that's usually
for mistakes the other way round.)
Hm, I get it via satellite - if such settings exist they may be on the TV
set but not, I think, on the freesat box. Anyway, mostly they get it right
and one can still follow the story if they cock up. I'm inclined to leave
well enough alone., Much of the time, except in passages without dialogue,
I use TV as radio anyway.
2017-05-08 23:22:10 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes, if you - on a 16:9 screen - got something squashed horizontally
(everything tall and thin) with black sides, then someone had indeed
pressed the wrong button. (Can _sometimes_ be sorted by playing with the
settings on your set-top box if you're using one, though that's usually
for mistakes the other way round.)
Hm, I get it via satellite - if such settings exist they may be on the
TV set but not, I think, on the freesat box. Anyway, mostly they get it
right and one can still follow the story if they cock up. I'm inclined
to leave well enough alone., Much of the time, except in passages
without dialogue,
I use TV as radio anyway.
I think they exist on my (Goodmans - yeeuch) Freesat pvr but I'll check
tomorrow and report back if they are.
Paul Herber
2017-05-12 13:37:40 UTC
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3.
Can confirm that MacGyver fills my screen
Yes, but that's because he uses a burnt-out match, a 2-cent coin and a piece of sticky
plaster!
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Penny
2017-05-12 13:42:30 UTC
On Fri, 12 May 2017 14:37:40 +0100, Paul Herber <***@pherber.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Paul Herber
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3.
Can confirm that MacGyver fills my screen
Yes, but that's because he uses a burnt-out match, a 2-cent coin and a piece of sticky
plaster!
:)
Not forgetting the Swiss Army knife.
Paul Herber
2017-05-14 16:48:58 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Paul Herber
My TV screen is 16:9 and (I think*) it usually fills the screen without
apparent distortion. Curiously Imdb reports the aspect ratio of the
programme as 1.33:1 which is almost nearly 4:3.
Can confirm that MacGyver fills my screen
Yes, but that's because he uses a burnt-out match, a 2-cent coin and a piece of sticky
plaster!
:)
Not forgetting the Swiss Army knife.
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of The Simpsons
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Jim Easterbrook
2017-05-14 17:06:36 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of The Simpsons
YANAOU
2017-05-14 18:07:22 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Paul Herber
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of The Simpsons
YANAOU
MTAAW
2017-05-14 18:17:05 UTC
On 14 May 2017 18:07:22 GMT, steveski <***@invalid.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Paul Herber
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of The Simpsons
YANAOU
MTAAW
I'd never even heard of him until earlier this year.
2017-05-14 18:38:53 UTC
the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Paul Herber
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of The Simpsons
YANAOU
MTAAW
I'd never even heard of him until earlier this year.
Sam makes reference to him in an ep of SG-1.
2017-05-14 20:16:15 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2017 19:38:53 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Paul Herber
P.S. My knowledge of MacGyver is only 2nd-hand, via various episodes of
The Simpsons
YANAOU
MTAAW
I'd never even heard of him until earlier this year.
Sam makes reference to him in an ep of SG-1.
Don't think I noticed that but it was certainly SG1 which led to my
watching it.
2017-05-07 08:30:00 UTC
I don't seem to have WMP any more. I think that went west when
Windows 10 installed itself.
If you do not have it you are still entitled to it. Google and you will
find instructions.
Found it. Had to use the search function, but it's now back in the apps
list. Thanks.
Hasn't solved the problem, but I've realised that it's to do with the
disc. I've rooted out another DVD which plays perfectly well with VLC
and WMP, so there's probably some copy protection or similar on Denial
which prevents it playing in a computer.
Thanks for the advice, all the same - it's been very helpful - and sorry
to have wasted everyone's time.
If the disk was provided for BAFTA review, it is probably protected in
some way.