OT: The strange case of the G & T
2017-04-06 09:04:28 UTC
Does anyrat know if there is likely to be a substance in either London
Dry Gin or in tonic water which is also present in many blood
pressure-reducing tablets? This is why I ask:

Despite being very overweight (and a little over 70) I have always been
"a good walker", my natural pace is reasonably fast and provided there
are no hills involved I can keep going for some distance. However,
throughout March I was staying with my sister and being very active
gardening, dog walking, shopping etc to an extent that I should, if
anything, have gained in fitness. However, for almost my entire stay I
suffered badly from aching leg and back muscles, extreme breathlessness
and swelling of my legs and feet. In fact, exactly the same symptoms I
have suffered in the past when prescribed certain BP medications.

I was eating just the same sort of food and the same quantities as I do
at home. The only difference in consumption was a single G & T every
evening. I VERY rarely drink gin at home but have always done so when
visiting my sister. I joked to her that the gin must be the cause of my
symptoms. But I came home on Monday and have since had no problems
walking. I have the opportunity this weekend to revert to the
gin-swilling but am rather reluctant to do so. I can hardly believe I
am reluctant to drink gin!
2017-04-06 11:41:14 UTC
[...]
Might it be the Quinine, in the tonic? It looks as if that can affect
the heart and blood, but I don't know if it can cause the problems
you've been having.

<https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2009/04/21/how-safe-is-ton/>
<https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682322.html>

It could be worth trying a medicinal gin and anything but tonic, to see
if that's better for you.
To be astonished is one of the surest ways of not growing old too
quickly. (Colette)
krw
2017-04-06 14:55:47 UTC
[...]
Have you tried marshmallow gin? I gather from the wireless that the
properties are unbelievably good for you. They encourage you to ell you
partner to tell lies and all sorts.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-04-06 15:10:51 UTC
[...]
Does it contain Pips?
Peter Percival
2017-04-06 16:00:05 UTC
[...]
The plant or the confection?
Post by krw
gin? I gather from the wireless that the
properties are unbelievably good for you. They encourage you to ell you
partner to tell lies and all sorts.
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-06 16:04:30 UTC
Post by krw
gin? I gather from the wireless that the
properties are unbelievably good for you. They encourage you to ell you
partner to tell lies and all sorts.
Plant. All the rage these special gins with added substances.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-04-06 16:11:04 UTC
Post by krw
gin? I gather from the wireless that the
properties are unbelievably good for you. They encourage you to ell you
partner to tell lies and all sorts.
Plant. All the rage these special gins with added substances.
Perhaps even Ketamine, oh no, forget that.
2017-04-06 16:40:26 UTC
Post by krw
gin? I gather from the wireless that the
properties are unbelievably good for you. They encourage you to ell you
partner to tell lies and all sorts.
Plant. All the rage these special gins with added substances.
Perhaps even Ketamine, oh no, forget that.
Jazzer special. Does he even remember he was supposed to forget things?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Jenny M Benson
2017-04-07 15:52:55 UTC
Perhaps even Ketamine, oh no, forget that.
Didn't I heard on the radio yesterday that someone thinks doctors ought
to prescribe Ketamine more often? I forget why or what for.
Rosemary Miskin
2017-04-07 16:51:36 UTC
someone thinks doctors ought
to prescribe Ketamine more often?  I forget why or what for.
Depression

Rosemary
Mike
2017-04-07 17:31:39 UTC
Perhaps even Ketamine, oh no, forget that.
Didn't I heard on the radio yesterday that someone thinks doctors ought
to prescribe Ketamine more often? I forget why or what for.
Summat to do with depression, but then, if Jazzer comes from Glasgow, he
probably needed wholesale quantities!

(Ducks and runs)
2017-04-06 21:40:03 UTC
On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 10:04:28 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Does anyrat know if there is likely to be a substance in either London
Dry Gin or in tonic water which is also present in many blood
pressure-reducing tablets?
Well my BP has always been on the low side of normal, but before
Christmas, my GP put me on beta blockers as I'd had an abnormal (for
me) run of migraines over a period of a couple of weeks. At the same
time, I was walking more, but I put weight on, which could have been
down to a sprained ankle and not being able to train.

I asked to come off them in January because of the weight gain - which
definitely wasn't down to over eating and too much G&T over Christmas,
as I was relatively restrained. But I seem to have continued to put
on weight, even though I'm back to training 2-3 times a week.
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
Is there anything at your sisters that you could have developed an
allergy to? Or is the bed too hard/soft, or pillows the wrong size?

I would suggest a couple of G&Ts as a test to see if it causes any
particular problems. If they don't have any effect, I should rule
that out and think of any environmental factors at your sister's house
and neighbourhood. Was there anything in the garden that you don't
have that may have been an irritant?

---
http://www.avg.com
Btms
2017-04-06 21:59:33 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
What does the doctor say Jenny? Or, have all the symptoms disappeared.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Jenny M Benson
2017-04-07 15:58:00 UTC
What does the doctor say Jenny? Or, have all the symptoms disappeared.
Replying to Btms, but thanks to Serena & Fenny & otherrats for their
contributions.

Was going to go the doctor when I got home from my sister's, but as the
symptoms disappeared ,,, except for bantam's-egg-sized lump on one knee
which I suspect is a gathering of fluid; it's painless.

Can't think of anything else at sis's house which might cause an
allergy, especially as nothing is new since my previous visits. The
only thing I've ever been "allergic" to before is the various BP meds
and one type of statin which the Dr tried me on.

I think more research in to gin & something is required. Sis suggested
I get a bottle to drink at home for a week or so and see what happens.
2017-04-07 17:36:24 UTC
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 16:58:00 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
I think more research in to gin & something is required. Sis suggested
I get a bottle to drink at home for a week or so and see what happens.
I think you need several different bottles. I started on a bottle of
Thomas Dakin last night, with Fevertree Mediterranean tonic. I
usually drink either Aldi or home made soda stream tonic these days,
but had some of the posh stuff and CBA to go and make any more.

---
http://www.avg.com
Btms
2017-04-07 17:48:27 UTC
What does the doctor say Jenny? Or, have all the symptoms disappeared.
Replying to Btms, but thanks to Serena & Fenny & otherrats for their
contributions.
Was going to go the doctor when I got home from my sister's, but as the
symptoms disappeared ,,, except for bantam's-egg-sized lump on one knee
which I suspect is a gathering of fluid; it's painless.
Can't think of anything else at sis's house which might cause an
allergy, especially as nothing is new since my previous visits. The
only thing I've ever been "allergic" to before is the various BP meds
and one type of statin which the Dr tried me on.
I think more research in to gin & something is required. Sis suggested
I get a bottle to drink at home for a week or so and see what happens.
I believe there is a lady in Ambridge who may be able to provide an
informed response.
Personally, I would prefer you to check out with the doc. 🤔 seriously,
worth an ask.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Nick Odell
2017-04-07 23:25:05 UTC
On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 16:58:00 +0100, Jenny M Benson
...except for bantam's-egg-sized lump on one knee
which I suspect is a gathering of fluid; it's painless.
Is this on the back of the knee? I get those if I forget to take care
when I kneel down - or in fact if I don't take care not to kneel down.
If I leave it alone - and don't kneel down again - it goes away after
a couple of days with no harm done.

2017-04-08 07:19:24 UTC
Is this on the back of the knee? I get those if I forget to take care
when I kneel down - or in fact if I don't take care not to kneel down.
If I leave it alone - and don't kneel down again - it goes away after
No, on the front. Top left corner (my left!) corner of the knee cap, as
it were.