Estimates please...
p***@never.here
2017-05-02 08:51:07 UTC
In one of the current storylines Kenton, does Jolene know about it
btw, has invested money in Toby's "Gin" business.

If we were told the sum I missed it, any thoughts as to the sum that
would be needed. Plus, where has Kenton/ The Bull got that sort of
money from - is the country pub business that profitable? As other
umrats have mentioned, if they have that much spare cash laying about
shouldn't they be paying off the loan they had from Brookfield.
Pete
Mike
2017-05-02 09:19:18 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In one of the current storylines Kenton, does Jolene know about it
btw, has invested money in Toby's "Gin" business.
If we were told the sum I missed it, any thoughts as to the sum that
would be needed. Plus, where has Kenton/ The Bull got that sort of
money from - is the country pub business that profitable? As other
umrats have mentioned, if they have that much spare cash laying about
shouldn't they be paying off the loan they had from Brookfield.
Toby: "Well Kenton, pip invested in my early research days which gave me a
chance to bring my brilliant idea to life, naturally, that small start
enabled me to exploit my talents greatly but, I now need a real investment
to get things off the ground... equipment to buy, setting up, production
and marketing.... I'm looking for a minimum investment from you of say
£25,000 .... in the initial tranch anyway."
2017-05-02 09:57:38 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In one of the current storylines Kenton, does Jolene know about it
btw, has invested money in Toby's "Gin" business.
If we were told the sum I missed it, any thoughts as to the sum that
would be needed. Plus, where has Kenton/ The Bull got that sort of
money from - is the country pub business that profitable? As other
umrats have mentioned, if they have that much spare cash laying about
shouldn't they be paying off the loan they had from Brookfield.
Toby: "Well Kenton, pip invested in my early research days which gave me a
chance to bring my brilliant idea to life, naturally, that small start
enabled me to exploit my talents greatly but, I now need a real investment
to get things off the ground... equipment to buy, setting up, production
and marketing.... I'm looking for a minimum investment from you of say
£25,000 .... in the initial tranch anyway."
Interesting discussions elsewhere on this. I thought Toby asked for
several thousand but it is reported as £7000. Pip has already put in
£5k as we know. And Toby had money to buy the still initially. I
realise buying the basic alcohol and bottles and labels costs money -
but he thought he was getting the building rent free and I assume Pip's
money went on the improvement works.

And yes Kenton owes money to David - he paid the other family members
off first - but David was not overjoyed when Kenton bought a new car on
the never-never as he thought the should get paid first. Kenton and
Jolene - who has agreed to the gin deal - do not have spare money lying
around as they alleged when this story commenced.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2017-05-02 17:14:40 UTC
Interesting discussions elsewhere on this. I thought Toby asked for
several thousand but it is reported as £7000. Pip has already put in
£5k as we know. And Toby had money to buy the still initially. I
realise buying the basic alcohol and bottles and labels costs money -
but he thought he was getting the building rent free and I assume Pip's
money went on the improvement works.
Did Toby actually pay for the still? I heard him bring it back from
Brighton because a friend wasn't using it any more and didn't have
space, but I thought he was just "minding it" for now, rather than
having forked out actual cash. If he did cough up, where did the
money come from? Even when he was getting money from dearest Daddy,
he was hardly a whizz at managing it.
2017-05-02 18:16:18 UTC
In message <oe9l6c$ans$***@gioia.aioe.org>, krw <***@whitnet.uk> writes:
Interesting discussions elsewhere on this. I thought Toby asked for
several thousand but it is reported as £7000. Pip has already put in
£5k as we know. And Toby had money to buy the still initially. I
realise buying the basic alcohol and bottles and labels costs money -
Does he need to buy the alcohol? I don't know what the alcohol that is
distilled into gin comes from.
And yes Kenton owes money to David - he paid the other family members
off first - but David was not overjoyed when Kenton bought a new car on
the never-never as he thought the should get paid first. Kenton and
Jolene - who has agreed to the gin deal - do not have spare money lying
around as they alleged when this story commenced.
Do we know how much David (well, Brookfield I think, or at least
DavidandRuth) lent to Kenton, and how much is still outstanding? (Have
we heard _anything_ about any actual repayments, in fact?)

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse.)
Jim Easterbrook
2017-05-02 18:29:00 UTC
Interesting discussions elsewhere on this. I thought Toby asked for
several thousand but it is reported as £7000. Pip has already put in
£5k as we know. And Toby had money to buy the still initially. I
realise buying the basic alcohol and bottles and labels costs money -
Does he need to buy the alcohol? I don't know what the alcohol that is
distilled into gin comes from.
Whatever's cheapest, I suspect. A former colleague's wife was from the
family that used to won one of the major gin brands. It was made from
industrially produced alcohol and flavourings.

This is a detail that's changed without any explanation I've heard.
Originally Toby was fermenting sugar and then distilling off the alcohol.
Now he's buying alcohol, so does he still need a still? Can't he just infuse
the botanicals?
2017-05-02 18:36:20 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Whatever's cheapest, I suspect. A former colleague's wife was from the
family that used to won one of the major gin brands.
Try "used to own" instead.
2017-05-02 18:52:26 UTC
On Tue, 02 May 2017 19:29 +0100, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Interesting discussions elsewhere on this. I thought Toby asked for
several thousand but it is reported as £7000. Pip has already put in
£5k as we know. And Toby had money to buy the still initially. I
realise buying the basic alcohol and bottles and labels costs money -
Does he need to buy the alcohol? I don't know what the alcohol that is
distilled into gin comes from.
Whatever's cheapest, I suspect. A former colleague's wife was from the
family that used to won one of the major gin brands. It was made from
industrially produced alcohol and flavourings.
This is a detail that's changed without any explanation I've heard.
Originally Toby was fermenting sugar and then distilling off the alcohol.
Now he's buying alcohol, so does he still need a still? Can't he just infuse
the botanicals?
Distilling his own alcohol will be far more expensive than buying some
in. Gin comes from grain and only part of the distillate - about 1/3
or so, IIRC - is suitable for drinking.

If he distills from scratch he will need a very different licence than
if he uses existing alcohol and adds additional botanicals.

He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc. And if he's the only person involved in the process, he's
going to need to source some amount of work ethic and time management.
2017-05-02 20:11:13 UTC
Post by Fenny
On Tue, 02 May 2017 19:29 +0100, Jim Easterbrook
[]
Post by Fenny
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Does he need to buy the alcohol? I don't know what the alcohol that is
distilled into gin comes from.
Whatever's cheapest, I suspect. A former colleague's wife was from the
family that used to won one of the major gin brands. It was made from
industrially produced alcohol and flavourings.
This is a detail that's changed without any explanation I've heard.
Originally Toby was fermenting sugar and then distilling off the alcohol.
Yes, that's why I asked the question; I thought I remembered him making
alcohol by some sort of fermentation method.
Post by Fenny
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Now he's buying alcohol, so does he still need a still? Can't he just infuse
the botanicals?
Distilling his own alcohol will be far more expensive than buying some
in. Gin comes from grain and only part of the distillate - about 1/3
or so, IIRC - is suitable for drinking.
So _does_ he still need (i. e. will he still use) a/the still, which he
spent so much effort (FSVO effort - this _is_ Toby we're taking about)
being illegal about, modifying a building, getting a licence ...
Post by Fenny
If he distills from scratch he will need a very different licence than
if he uses existing alcohol and adds additional botanicals.
He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc. And if he's the only person involved in the process, he's
going to need to source some amount of work ethic and time management.
(-:

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad - I'm better! (Mae West)
Serena Blanchflower
2017-05-02 20:44:23 UTC
Post by Fenny
He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc. And if he's the only person involved in the process, he's
going to need to source some amount of work ethic and time management.
He will also need to find a proper source of botanicals. Ambridge
gardens may produce enough to make the occasional sample bottle of gin
but won't extend to commercial quantities, throughout the year.
Mobility is the enemy of beauty... (Fascinating Aida)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-03 20:09:55 UTC
Post by Fenny
He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc. And if he's the only person involved in the process, he's
going to need to source some amount of work ethic and time management.
He will also need to find a proper source of botanicals. Ambridge
gardens may produce enough to make the occasional sample bottle of gin
but won't extend to commercial quantities, throughout the year.
And finding ones harvested at midnight of the first quarter - or
whatever it was - might be difficult.

Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so. (First series, fit the first.)
David Medcalf
2017-05-02 22:07:28 UTC
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<

There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
Vicky
2017-05-03 06:08:46 UTC
On Tue, 2 May 2017 15:07:28 -0700 (PDT), David Medcalf
Post by David Medcalf
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<
There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
You think of people starting breweries or projects making gin etc as
being really interested in the drink and havinga ..I don't like to use
the word as it sets b off, but..passion for the subject. Not just get
rich quick.
2017-05-03 08:01:59 UTC
Post by David Medcalf
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<
There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
You think of people starting breweries or projects making gin etc as
being really interested in the drink and havinga ..I don't like to use
the word as it sets b off, but..passion for the subject. Not just get
rich quick.
Yes, Toby was struck by that, when Kenton took him to see another small
scale gin maker, who'd been working for umpteen years but was only just
starting to be successful. Since then, he seems to have forgotten
everything he learned on that trip.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. (Dr Seuss)
Btms
2017-05-03 08:32:50 UTC
Post by David Medcalf
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<
There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of
them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared
with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
You think of people starting breweries or projects making gin etc as
being really interested in the drink and havinga ..I don't like to use
the word as it sets b off, but..passion for the subject. Not just get
rich quick.
Yes, Toby was struck by that, when Kenton took him to see another small
scale gin maker, who'd been working for umpteen years but was only just
starting to be successful. Since then, he seems to have forgotten
everything he learned on that trip.
About six months ago, I chatted to an artisan gin maker at the Padstow Food
Festival. They returned from living in Spain and wondered what to do.
They are making a quality product but the set up capital was significant
iirc. It retails for around £30 a bottle. I don't think they anticipate
it being a high volume product but who knows. Sharp's brewery here in Rock
has ended up being bought by Coors and is everywhere it seems. The gin
company has been going about five years. It took Sharps much longer to
make his many millions.

On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-03 20:12:22 UTC
In message
<47299433.515491811.337436.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.or
g>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.

Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so. (First series, fit the first.)
Btms
2017-05-03 20:21:39 UTC
In message
On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.
I think it makes a great deal of difference.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Nick Odell
2017-05-03 23:38:54 UTC
In message
On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.
I think it makes a great deal of difference.
People who can't smell taste things differently suggesting that taste
is a great deal more than - well - taste. I never think that
foreign-made beers taste the same here or British made beers taste the
same over there: could it be the air?

2017-05-04 00:03:54 UTC
In message
On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.
I think it makes a great deal of difference.
People who can't smell taste things differently suggesting that taste
is a great deal more than - well - taste. I never think that
foreign-made beers taste the same here or British made beers taste the
same over there: could it be the air?
I agree with John.
Back a few decades I recall various imported 'Continental' beers
appearing in pubs at a premium price and often being quite tasty.

Once established, the production would be moved to the UK (far cheaper I
imagine) and the result would be a bland euro-fizz indistinguishable
from any of the others.
2017-05-04 00:09:57 UTC
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.
I think it makes a great deal of difference.
People who can't smell taste things differently suggesting that taste
is a great deal more than - well - taste. I never think that
foreign-made beers taste the same here or British made beers taste the
same over there: could it be the air?
Nick
Maybe!

I remember my Mum saying that Chilean wines (this would have been 1970s
or so) weren't much good here - they "didn't travel well". (She had
lived in Chile.) Now that we do drink wines from all over the world, I
presume something has changed. (Do they come by air or something
nowadays?) [I can't comment either way - I only like sweet white in
wine, usually German (a nice Spaetlese or Auslese).]

[That's another thing - when growing up in Germany, I remember we
generally referred to a wine by where it came from, and rarely by the
type of grape; now it seems normal to refer to "a Riesling" or "a
Chardonnay" or "a Pinot (noir or otherwise)", and where it comes from is
even omitted. (And I'm not talking about very exclusive expensive wines
back then, either.)]

And Jonathan Harker would never have sent all those letters to his beloved
Mina from Transylvania, he'd have texted her instead. "Stuck in weird castle w
guy w big teeth. Missing u. xxxx (-:" - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
Marjorie
2017-05-04 07:38:57 UTC
In message
On a swerve..... we don't drink beer. Prefer continental lagers which never
seem to taste as good in UK as over there. However, the Sharp's pilsner is
interesting. Not similar to the Continental but an intriguing flowery
flavour that is light and pleasant in the sunshine.
Not that I'm a beer drinker anyway, but of the continental ones I've
actually heard of, a depressingly large number of the ones available
here are actually brewed here too, under licence, so I'm not surprised
they don't taste the same. Assuming that makes any difference, that is.
I think it makes a great deal of difference.
People who can't smell taste things differently suggesting that taste
is a great deal more than - well - taste. I never think that
foreign-made beers taste the same here or British made beers taste the
same over there: could it be the air?
Well, the setting could have something to do with it. A beer consumed in
the sunshine by a harbour, with the smell of the sea in your nostrils,
or in a sun-baked campsite with the scent of the grass around, will
taste different from the same brand of beer served in your kitchen in
December.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje

---
http://www.avg.com
Btms
2017-05-04 08:13:49 UTC
Post by Marjorie
In message
[...]
I do agree. Though I am not sure the nasal element played a part when we
lived in Amsterdam. Then there were trips to Ireland where I found
Guinness surprisingly pleasant which was not the experience in Surrey.
However, now I live in on the Berkshire Downs and tried a Guinness one
lunch time, the taste was as I recalled in Ireland. This can't be because
it is all brewed over there now as I have tried it in other places. I now
think that because there is a high percentage of Guinness drinkers in the
Valley, the pipes have Guinness flowing through them more often than in
other places. This means it is fresher and tastier, without a bitter
undertone.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Fenny
2017-05-04 18:11:50 UTC
On Thu, 4 May 2017 08:38:57 +0100, Marjorie
Post by Marjorie
Well, the setting could have something to do with it. A beer consumed in
the sunshine by a harbour, with the smell of the sea in your nostrils,
or in a sun-baked campsite with the scent of the grass around, will
taste different from the same brand of beer served in your kitchen in
December.
They may taste different, but I wouldn't drink either of them ;-)
2017-05-03 12:38:38 UTC
Post by David Medcalf
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<
There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of
them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared
with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
You think of people starting breweries or projects making gin etc as
being really interested in the drink and havinga ..I don't like to use
the word as it sets b off, but..passion for the subject. Not just get
rich quick.
Yes, Toby was struck by that, when Kenton took him to see another small
scale gin maker, who'd been working for umpteen years but was only just
starting to be successful. Since then, he seems to have forgotten
everything he learned on that trip.
Which is exactly how Kenton operates imho.

2017-05-03 08:32:10 UTC
Post by David Medcalf
Fenny wrote: >>He's still going to need to source bottles, labels, a stoppering
device etc.<<
There are two successful small breweries near to us - and neither of them do their own bottling. Too complex and too expensive, compared with fermenting the brews. I would think the same applies to distilling stuff.
You think of people starting breweries or projects making gin etc as
being really interested in the drink and havinga ..I don't like to use
the word as it sets b off, but..passion for the subject. Not just get
rich quick.
This is Toby. He is not a passionate man. He is an ideas man. And
little else.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
BrritSki
2017-05-03 13:00:23 UTC
Ah, I see. He has little idea then ?
David Medcalf
2017-05-03 19:44:30 UTC
Knew wrote: This is Toby. He is not a passionate man. He is an ideas man. And
little else.

Surely that was Ernie Wise - or was it Eric M? Who had Little Else, I mean.
Chris McMillan
2017-05-03 12:38:37 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
He's also employing Rex as skivvy.

2017-05-02 20:35:50 UTC
On Tue, 2 May 2017 19:16:18 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do we know how much David (well, Brookfield I think, or at least
DavidandRuth) lent to Kenton, and how much is still outstanding? (Have
we heard _anything_ about any actual repayments, in fact?)
For some reason I have the figure £30k in mind. I don't think he's
paid any back.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
krw
2017-05-02 22:03:43 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do we know how much David (well, Brookfield I think, or at least
DavidandRuth) lent to Kenton, and how much is still outstanding? (Have
we heard _anything_ about any actual repayments, in fact?)
For some reason I have the figure £30k in mind. I don't think he's
paid any back.
Irecall 30K too.
And there have been some payments. Only David is owed money now. It
was not entirely clear but I think David found most of £20k, Shula and
Lizzie £5k each and Jill - maybe another £5k. Only David is owed money
as we have been told the others have been repaid.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-05-02 22:01:41 UTC
Do we know how much David (well, Brookfield I think, or at least
DavidandRuth) lent to Kenton, and how much is still outstanding? (Have
we heard _anything_ about any actual repayments, in fact?)
No. We know Shula, Jill and Lizzie have been repaid and that David was
the biggest lender and that there have been payments.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-05-02 22:15:23 UTC
Do we know how much David (well, Brookfield I think, or at least
DavidandRuth) lent to Kenton, and how much is still outstanding? (Have
we heard _anything_ about any actual repayments, in fact?)
No. We know Shula, Jill and Lizzie have been repaid and that David was
the biggest lender and that there have been payments.
I must have missed that, Kenton? Paying back his dues???!