Pointless celebs today.
2018-07-28 19:35:42 UTC
Clarrie and Ruth did very badly.

2018-07-29 08:15:59 UTC
LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Clarrie and Ruth did very badly.

Whoosh

2018-07-29 10:52:31 UTC
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:15:59 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Clarrie and Ruth did very badly.
>>

>Whoosh

Pointless is a tv quiz show, Mike. There must have been a celebrity
episode.
Chris McMillan
2018-07-31 10:55:47 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:15:59 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Clarrie and Ruth did very badly.
>>>

>> Whoosh
>
> Pointless is a tv quiz show, Mike. There must have been a celebrity
> episode.

I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)

2018-07-31 11:07:05 UTC
On 31/07/2018 11:55, Chris McMillan wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:15:59 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Whoosh
>>
>> Pointless is a tv quiz show, Mike. There must have been a celebrity
>> episode.
>>

> I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
> not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
> to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
> same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
> before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)

We went to a recording of Pointless which was quite entertaining, the
banter between Alexander and Richard is fun. But the programme does get
a bit boring after a while and I don't watch it any more. The celebrity
version is dire, often people you've never heard of, but I just caught
the beginning of this one and they were all people with distinctive
voices from TV and radio which was quite a clever theme.

I met Richard once at Victoria Station, he was very charming when I said
I was a great fan and I was quite pleased that I managed not to comment
on his astonishing height - he is *very* tall.

2018-08-03 09:25:55 UTC
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:55:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> scrawled in the dust...

>I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
>not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
>to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
>same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
>before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)

I'd like to meet him too. He turns up on panel shows quite a bit now - no
great surprise, he's very witty.

He explained something of his myopia on QI - he'd been walking down a
corridor in an hotel, admiring a piece of artwork on the wall at the end -
it turned out to be a fire hose.
2018-08-03 09:37:01 UTC
On 03/08/2018 10:25, Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:55:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
> <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
>> not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
>> to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
>> same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
>> before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)
>
> I'd like to meet him too. He turns up on panel shows quite a bit now - no
> great surprise, he's very witty.
>
> He explained something of his myopia on QI - he'd been walking down a
> corridor in an hotel, admiring a piece of artwork on the wall at the end -
> it turned out to be a fire hose.

To be fair, if the hose had been placed on the wall of Tate Modern by a
fashionable artist it would have been widely lauded by critics as a
profound statement about the Grenfell Tower disaster and valued at a
minimum of a quarter of a million pounds, so he may not have been that
wide of the mark.

2018-08-03 09:59:20 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/08/2018 10:25, Penny wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:55:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
>> <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
>>> not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
>>> to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
>>> same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
>>> before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)
>>
>> I'd like to meet him too. He turns up on panel shows quite a bit now - no
>> great surprise, he's very witty.
>>
>> He explained something of his myopia on QI - he'd been walking down a
>> corridor in an hotel, admiring a piece of artwork on the wall at the end -
>> it turned out to be a fire hose.
>
> To be fair, if the hose had been placed on the wall of Tate Modern by a
> fashionable artist it would have been widely lauded by critics as a
> profound statement about the Grenfell Tower disaster and valued at a
> minimum of a quarter of a million pounds, so he may not have been that
> wide of the mark.

Perhaps the ‘artist’ would be hailed as ‘a little squirt’?

2018-08-03 13:19:01 UTC
On 03/08/2018 10:25, Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:55:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
> <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
>> not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
>> to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
>> same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
>> before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)
>
> I'd like to meet him too. He turns up on panel shows quite a bit now - no
> great surprise, he's very witty.
>
> He explained something of his myopia on QI - he'd been walking down a
> corridor in an hotel, admiring a piece of artwork on the wall at the end -
> it turned out to be a fire hose.

Reminds me of my dad, visiting a colleague's office. He knew that the
man's hobby was painting and duly admired what he assumed to be his
latest work. Turned out to be the board on which he wiped his brushes.
He gave it to Dad as a joke but it really does look like an intentional
painting and was much admired when hung in my parents' house. Son has
now inherited it.

2018-08-03 19:49:12 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
>Reminds me of my dad, visiting a colleague's office. He knew that the
>man's hobby was painting and duly admired what he assumed to be his
>latest work. Turned out to be the board on which he wiped his brushes.
>He gave it to Dad as a joke but it really does look like an intentional
>painting and was much admired when hung in my parents' house. Son has
>now inherited it.

Did the artist sign it? That's the essence; I think Picasso signed some
(otherwise - TAPOU!) blank canvases. (From what I gather PP had a sense
of humour. He certainly was able to paint in the conventional
(representational) sense if he wanted to.)

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
Chris McMillan
2018-08-05 12:50:22 UTC
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 10:55:47 GMT, Chris McMillan
> <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I could be persuaded to watch on computer if Richard Osman is compere. Its
>> not his fault I don’t watch, its the show’s presentation. In fact I’d like
>> to meet Mr O. I’m never in the right place at the right time. He has the
>> same eye condition as me. His specs are to correct very severe myopia (and
>> before he became a compere, he worked behind the scenes in tv)
>
> I'd like to meet him too. He turns up on panel shows quite a bit now - no
> great surprise, he's very witty.
>
> He explained something of his myopia on QI - he'd been walking down a
> corridor in an hotel, admiring a piece of artwork on the wall at the end -
> it turned out to be a fire hose.

Nystagmus does that too. I tend to keep what I think I’m seeing to myself.