Naming Pip’s baby
2018-07-25 18:07:52 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Clive Arthur
2018-07-25 18:23:12 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip? More of a shower head apparently.

Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
2018-07-25 20:12:56 UTC
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
Btms
2018-07-26 08:39:34 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
+1
Vicky Ayech
I didn't think it is sexist . It seemed 1920s, out of date to me.
Btms
2018-07-26 12:54:34 UTC
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
+1
I didn't think it is sexist . It seemed 1920s, out of date to me.
Oooh I must have had a more sheltered upbringing than I thought 🙂
2018-07-26 17:46:22 UTC
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
+1
I didn't think it is sexist . It seemed 1920s, out of date to me.
Same here. The first time I heard someone say it, I thought they were
deliberately using an outdated term - which I *thought* I had heard of
being used way back "before my time" - and was then surprised when I
heard it being used several times by different people.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Btms
2018-07-26 20:23:53 UTC
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
+1
I didn't think it is sexist . It seemed 1920s, out of date to me.
Same here. The first time I heard someone say it, I thought they were
deliberately using an outdated term - which I *thought* I had heard of
being used way back "before my time" - and was then surprised when I
heard it being used several times by different people.
Well yes; it does sound dated to me to and is a part of why I experience it
as sexist. I can’t imagine today’s young adults saying this.
2018-07-26 10:07:29 UTC
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience
it as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room
banter to me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts;
merely sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I thought it was more commonly used by females about males, but I'm not
well versed in locker room banter of either sex.
BTN or MV?
Jenny M Benson
2018-07-26 17:47:11 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
I thought it was more commonly used by females about males, but I'm not
well versed in locker room banter of either sex.
BTN or MV?
Neither, I think.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Btms
2018-07-26 12:14:12 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience
it as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room
banter to me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts;
merely sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I thought it was more commonly used by females about males, but I'm not
well versed in locker room banter of either sex.
You should spend more time in the ladies locker room.
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...
LFS
2018-07-26 10:23:00 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I was under the impression that it had been around for a very long time
and is old-fashioned American slang. I even thought it featured in a
Presley song but the jukebox in my head tells me I'm thinking of flame.

<several clicks later> Aha. I was sort of right. OED dates "squeeze"
from 1980 and mostly US, and "main squeeze" as a sweetheart from the 1920s.
the Omrud
2018-07-26 14:47:04 UTC
Post by LFS
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me .  Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I was under the impression that it had been around for a very long time
and is old-fashioned American slang. I even thought it featured in a
Presley song but the jukebox in my head tells me I'm thinking of flame.
<several clicks later> Aha. I was sort of right. OED dates "squeeze"
from 1980 and mostly US, and "main squeeze" as a sweetheart from the 1920s.
At that time, until you could say "wife" or "husband", squeezing your
partner was the closest intimacy permitted.
David
Mike
2018-07-26 15:11:14 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me .  Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I was under the impression that it had been around for a very long time
and is old-fashioned American slang. I even thought it featured in a
Presley song but the jukebox in my head tells me I'm thinking of flame.
<several clicks later> Aha. I was sort of right. OED dates "squeeze"
from 1980 and mostly US, and "main squeeze" as a sweetheart from the 1920s.
At that time, until you could say "wife" or "husband", squeezing your
partner was the closest intimacy permitted.
Might depend on what one was squeezing I suppose;-)))
2018-07-26 18:30:44 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me .  Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I was under the impression that it had been around for a very long time
and is old-fashioned American slang. I even thought it featured in a
Presley song but the jukebox in my head tells me I'm thinking of flame.
<several clicks later> Aha. I was sort of right. OED dates "squeeze"
from 1980 and mostly US, and "main squeeze" as a sweetheart from the 1920s.
At that time, until you could say "wife" or "husband", squeezing your
partner was the closest intimacy permitted.
Might depend on what one was squeezing I suppose;-)))
A lemon? </LedZeppelin>

2018-07-26 18:32:58 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
[...]
Only if the juice runs down your leg . . .
2018-07-26 20:32:42 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
[...]
Glad someone caught it. (Because I was afraid I'd mis-remembered/made it up)

2018-07-26 21:24:04 UTC
Post by LFS
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me .  Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I was under the impression that it had been around for a very long time
and is old-fashioned American slang. I even thought it featured in a
Presley song but the jukebox in my head tells me I'm thinking of flame.
<several clicks later> Aha. I was sort of right. OED dates "squeeze"
from 1980 and mostly US, and "main squeeze" as a sweetheart from the 1920s.
I thought I knew the expression from Chandler, Runyon, etc.

2018-07-26 12:12:40 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
I don't think I've ever used except in the phrase squeeze pipette or
tight squeeze. IGMC
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-26 17:21:34 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
Were you brought up in the UK or do I recall it was somewhere else?
That might explain it.
Btms
2018-07-26 20:23:52 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
Were you brought up in the UK or do I recall it was somewhere else?
That might explain it.
UK though the Cornish might challenge this.
2018-07-27 08:32:09 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
I dislike this phrase/name.i know it is in common use but I experience it
as sexist. Not at all sure why but it suggests male locker room banter to
me . Just saying; not wanting to exclude use in these parts; merely
sharing how I respond and wonder if iaaou.
Were you brought up in the UK or do I recall it was somewhere else?
That might explain it.
UK though the Cornish might challenge this.
I’m told that Cornwall shares a boundary line with England.
Clive Arthur
2018-07-26 09:51:29 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip?  More of a shower head apparently.
She'll be someone's squeeze on TA in about 16 years time.
Squeezed till the Pip squeaks?

(I heard a faint whooshing sound elsewhere)

Cheers
Clive
Vicky Ayech
Cheers
Chris McMillan
2018-07-26 12:42:59 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
Is she a drip? More of a shower head apparently.
Cheers
Or Piplette (Piplet)

Surprised Ruth hadn’t objected.

Sincerely Chris
Flop
2018-07-25 21:03:05 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Just run it past 'er.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-25 22:15:10 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
Excellent!

"Who came first? Adam or Eve?" "Adam of course; men always do."
Victoria Wood (via Peter Hesketh)
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-07-26 19:11:41 UTC
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
BrritSki
2018-07-26 19:15:02 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Jim Easterbrook
2018-07-26 19:35:21 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?

[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
2018-07-27 09:19:10 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?
[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
Thank you, Jim. I like it!

2018-07-30 06:44:15 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?
[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
Which is, of course, the British Standard Unit of Excess.

(As in two firkin big, two firkin heavy etc.)
2018-07-30 12:46:29 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?
[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
Which is, of course, the British Standard Unit of Excess.
(As in two firkin big, two firkin heavy etc.)
<giggle>
Nice! I thought Chris McT had the UMRA monopoly on giggles. Good to know
there's competition!

I like pipkin and pipette.

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.
Btms
Clive Arthur
2018-07-30 09:05:32 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?
[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
Which is, of course, the British Standard Unit of Excess.
(As in two firkin big, two firkin heavy etc.)
There was a young fella called Perkin
Who was constantly jerkin' his gherkin
His wife said, "Now Perkin, stop jerkin' yer gherkin"
"You're shirkin' yer firkin', you bastard!"

I don't know why that stuck, but it was in the Reading uni rag mag over
forty years ago.

Cheers
Clive
Chris McMillan
2018-07-30 09:08:57 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
Firkin was followed by Pipkin.
Will the second child be Kilderkin?
[Two firkins, for those ignorant of beer cask sizes.]
Which is, of course, the British Standard Unit of Excess.
(As in two firkin big, two firkin heavy etc.)
There was a young fella called Perkin
Who was constantly jerkin' his gherkin
His wife said, "Now Perkin, stop jerkin' yer gherkin"
"You're shirkin' yer firkin', you bastard!"
I don't know why that stuck, but it was in the Reading uni rag mag over
forty years ago.
Cheers
LOL. Bulmershe College wasn’t part of the uni then.

Sincerely Chris
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-07-27 07:50:58 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Jenny M Benson
2018-07-27 08:12:09 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Is it born yet? (a non-listener enquires). If male, Wilfred would seem
appropriate to accompany Pipsqueak.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Serena Blanchflower
2018-07-27 08:19:54 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Is it born yet? (a non-listener enquires).  If male, Wilfred would seem
appropriate to accompany Pipsqueak.
She has been born and is called Rosie Ruth Archer.
It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up. (W. Somerset
Maugham)
Clive Arthur
2018-07-27 09:21:04 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Is it born yet? (a non-listener enquires).  If male, Wilfred would
seem appropriate to accompany Pipsqueak.
She has been born and is called Rosie Ruth Archer.
R R Archer sounds like a sneeze. (Sneeze, not squeeze, please.)

Cheers
Clive
Mike
2018-07-27 09:22:35 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Is it born yet? (a non-listener enquires).  If male, Wilfred would seem
appropriate to accompany Pipsqueak.
She has been born and is called Rosie Ruth Archer.
Oxford concise says squeeze is N American, informal, boyfriend or
girlfriend.

It was once the word used to describe a crowded social gathering.

Sincerely Chris
Flop
2018-07-27 13:27:20 UTC
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
Is it born yet? (a non-listener enquires).  If male, Wilfred would seem
appropriate to accompany Pipsqueak.
Good thing it wasn't twins [boy and girl] and Rex didn't get to choose.

He probably would have selected Denise and Denephew.

the Seven Dwarves.”
Jim Easterbrook
2018-07-27 18:53:40 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
I have a polar bear glove puppet called Pipaluk. Ma made it for me
for Christmas 1968.
2018-07-28 16:04:37 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
or pipaluk
I have a polar bear glove puppet called Pipaluk. Ma made it for me for
Christmas 1968.
Ahhh . . . <g,d,r>
Watch it, or he'll come round and snuggle you!
2018-07-28 16:10:37 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Fenny
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
or pipaluk
I have a polar bear glove puppet called Pipaluk. Ma made it for me
for Christmas 1968.
Ahhh . . . <g,d,r>
Watch it, or he'll come round and snuggle you!
I have one like that. Sometimes he's incredibly happy and sometimes he's
'down in the dumps' sad.

He's a bi-polar bear.

IGMC
Clive Arthur
2018-07-28 16:51:33 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Fenny
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
or pipaluk
I have a polar bear glove puppet called Pipaluk. Ma made it for me
for Christmas 1968.
Ahhh . . . <g,d,r>
Watch it, or he'll come round and snuggle you!
I have one like that. Sometimes he's incredibly happy and sometimes he's
'down in the dumps' sad.
He's a bi-polar bear.
IGMC
A Nanook-depressive?

Pass me out my jacket while you're there.

Cheers
Clive
steveski
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-07-30 10:45:31 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Post by Mike
May I suggest Pipette?
pipkin
or pipaluk
or for a really batty suggestion, "pipistrelle"