Rex's driving
2017-03-05 11:19:04 UTC
So when did Rex get licenced by the Borchester local authority to
drive a cab? He would have had to supply various paperwork, get a DBS
check and take tests in local knowledge. And unless he's using a taxi
firm's car, his own car would need to meet the necessary standards,
including having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
2017-03-05 11:25:54 UTC
Post by Fenny
So when did Rex get licenced by the Borchester local authority to
drive a cab? He would have had to supply various paperwork, get a DBS
check and take tests in local knowledge. And unless he's using a taxi
firm's car, his own car would need to meet the necessary standards,
including having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
Hence my post earlier about Uber....
2017-03-05 12:44:19 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Fenny
So when did Rex get licenced by the Borchester local authority to
drive a cab? He would have had to supply various paperwork, get a DBS
check and take tests in local knowledge. And unless he's using a taxi
Is the local knowledge thing applied all over the place, then? I wasn't
sure if it was just London, and just "official" cabs of some sort.
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Fenny
firm's car, his own car would need to meet the necessary standards,
including having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
Not to mention insurance. I've not looked into it, but I can see most
insurance companies wanting an arm and a leg to insure you for that sort
of use.
Post by Mike McMillan
Hence my post earlier about Uber....
I did notice.

I also wondered if he'd be the one called to return the drunken mayor.
(I assume he probably _would_, assuming he's "on call" most of the time;
I'm not aware of Ambridge being swamped with taxi firms.)

As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep
an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the
soul from desiccation. - Humphrey Lyttelton quoted by Barry Cryer in Radio
Times 10-16 November 2012
Penny
2017-03-05 16:56:52 UTC
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 12:44:19 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Fenny
So when did Rex get licenced by the Borchester local authority to
drive a cab? He would have had to supply various paperwork, get a DBS
check and take tests in local knowledge. And unless he's using a taxi
firm's car, his own car would need to meet the necessary standards,
including having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
Not to mention insurance. I've not looked into it, but I can see most
insurance companies wanting an arm and a leg to insure you for that sort
of use.
Indeed, when I bought an FX4 to use as a family car (with a little
adjustment to the webbing over the rear door hinge, I could wheel the pram
straight in without hurting my back) it was always a pain to insure. How
ever much I insisted it was for private use only*, it seemed insurers would
only regard it as a taxi.

*Short sighted locals would sometimes climb, uninvited, into the back and
ask to be taken to places, in spite of the child seat, the kitchen roll
suspended between the drop-down seats and general untidiness in the back.
2017-03-05 17:57:26 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Fenny
[...]
Capt Ex did minicabbing for a year between Captain jobs in about 1994.
I'm not sure if things have changed since then but this was living in
the Barnet area and he did have to have insurance but no knowledge or
other licence as far as I know. he worked for a firm and they told him
where to get insurance, which I think was on a monthly basis. he did
need an aerial to get calls.

They used him for driving kids to school and driving old ladies or
other OAPs as he was seen as respectable. I think minicabbing is a job
released prisoners often do, or used to, so presumably the not having
knowledge and easy licence terms would apply to them.
2017-03-05 21:10:20 UTC
Post by Fenny
firm's car, his own car would need to meet the necessary standards,
including having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
Not to mention insurance. I've not looked into it, but I can see most
insurance companies wanting an arm and a leg to insure you for that sort
of use.
https://www.daventrydc.gov.uk/search/?s=1&searchRequestDefaultsId=227&baseResultsSearchRequestId=1521

See item !Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licence Conditions"

If he's not driving his own car, he won't need insurance, as the
company he drives for will insure the vehicle. If he is driving his
own vehicle, it will need to comply with the conditions set down by
Borchester Council, as well as being correctly insured.

Being licenced as a driver is not a quick or cheap thing. Where did
Rex get the money from since his father cut him off?

And on the subject of his "allowance" - if this was a helping hand
from Daddy to get him back on his feet after his rugby career was cut
short, how come Toby got an allowance as well? Was this to get him
out of his life as a feckless waster?
kosmo
2017-03-05 22:09:23 UTC
On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 21:10:20 +0000, Fenny
Post by Fenny
Being licenced as a driver is not a quick or cheap thing. Where did
Rex get the money from since his father cut him off?
The parental cash was going to be paid for February so funded the
licence.
Post by Fenny
And on the subject of his "allowance" - if this was a helping hand
from Daddy to get him back on his feet after his rugby career was cut
short, how come Toby got an allowance as well? Was this to get him
out of his life as a feckless waster?
They gave both had the handout for years, not since the end of his
career.

And I snipped.
--
kosmo