No posts...
2018-06-15 18:11:46 UTC
...since 11.40am.

Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Paul Herber
2018-06-15 18:46:27 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
We have top men working on it right now. Top men.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
krw
2018-06-15 19:06:29 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Sid Nuncius
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
We have top men working on it right now. Top men.
They are caught up in the Thameslink timetable change. Sorry not been
thinking about TA much recently. Will try harder.
2018-06-16 07:35:23 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Sid Nuncius
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
We have top men working on it right now. Top men.
Or as VirginMedia would have it, ‘We are on your case’.
2018-06-15 19:07:16 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Mummy and Daddy have gone to Venice (equipped with what my memory recalls
of umra advice). Three small grandchildren have left no time for idling
with umra. Apols. Them and the dog. Mummy and Daddy sent pic of post
gondola drain described as a canal.
2018-06-15 23:04:23 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
2018-06-16 06:51:19 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio. She
tripped on a chair as she was getting up :(

Had to go to mainland to get an x-ray and was put in a half-cast (not
missing final e) and we drove home and was put in a full cast in the
local hospital. Checkup yesterday showed everything OK, clean break, no
displacement, so they will take the cast off on 5th July, do another
x-ray, and assuming all OK cast will stay off and she'll start rehab.
and we'll be able to go back to UK later in July to pick up new GB reg
car and bring back 2 of AGCs for a holiday with their cousins.

Waife is not the sort of person to enjoy any sort of rest, esp.
enforced, so she is still gardening from her wheelchair where she can,
or shuffling round on her bottom :)

Meanwhile, my activity may be a tad reduced on the usenet front...
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-16 08:21:19 UTC
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio. She
tripped on a chair as she was getting up  :(
<wince>
Oooh, nasty! Hope things heal up quickly.
2018-06-16 08:34:49 UTC
[...]
Oh gosh. Nightmare all round. Prognosis sounds encouraging if she follows
instructions.
2018-06-16 09:48:48 UTC
[...]
Ouch!

Knees are nasty little nuggers at the best of times (well, mine are) so
my deepest sympathies for the present situation and strongest hopes for
the continuing recovery.
Post by BrritSki
Meanwhile, my activity may be a tad reduced on the usenet front...
Don't forget to take care of yourself as well as the wofe.

2018-06-16 11:11:38 UTC
[...]
Hope she heals up quickly! Sounds a speedy job compared to Daughter and
Son-in-Law's ankle breaks. He had nearly six months in a cast,
fortunately able to work from home. The day he went back to the office
Daughter fell and managed exactly the same injury, with the same
results. That was a bad year.
2018-06-16 12:13:00 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
I hope all is well soon.
#1 daughter broke her foot when pregnant with granddaughter. She was
lucky that work were fantastic and completed her time before going on
maternity leave just before the birth by being driven to work in
taxis, that I think the firm paid for, and they set up a couch
downstairs so she was able to work in comfort.

Then, still with a painful foot and tiny baby, they had to get a nanny
during maternity leave, as she was unable to lift or carry the baby.
Her older child, then 9, was a big help fetching and carrying, but not
able to do all baby stuff and her husband was away lots for work :(

Then the baby broke HER foot at about 22 months. She was in plaster
for a while and the nursery she began was a Forest Nursery, outdoors
and on various levels with steps between. She had to be helped all
the time but coped, as babies do. She's only now, a year or so later,
really confident and climbing all over the place.
BrritSki
2018-06-16 14:51:18 UTC
Post by LFS
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio.
She tripped on a chair as she was getting up  :(
Thanks to all for the good wishes !
Post by LFS
Hope she heals up quickly! Sounds a speedy job compared to Daughter and
Son-in-Law's ankle breaks. He had nearly six months in a cast,
fortunately able to work from home. The day he went back to the office
Daughter fell and managed exactly the same injury, with the same
results. That was a bad year.
Eeek ! That was bad luck. I think we have got off lightly - she could
easily have smashed her head on the cupboard that she narrowly missed,
or broken her hip. Small mercies :/
Jenny M Benson
2018-06-16 16:35:22 UTC
I think we have got off lightly - she could easily have smashed her head
on the cupboard that she narrowly missed, or broken her hip. Small
mercies :/
I fell in my garden recently - backwards onto my bottom but hit my head
onto the (brick) house wall behind me with a most horrendous noise. I
couldn't believe it didn't hurt more than it did and that I apparently
hadn't cracked my skull. The extent of the swelling was rather
impressive for a while and I was glad I have very soft pillows!
2018-06-16 18:38:08 UTC
I think we have got off lightly - she could easily have smashed her
head on the cupboard that she narrowly missed, or broken her hip.
Small mercies :/
I fell in my garden recently - backwards onto my bottom but hit my head
onto the (brick) house wall behind me with a most horrendous noise.  I
couldn't believe it didn't hurt more than it did and that I apparently
hadn't cracked my skull.  The extent of the swelling was rather
impressive for a while and I was glad I have very soft pillows!
Arnica is your friend. In tablet form, taken immediately it can have a
dramatic effect on bruising. My mum in her late 80s fell and smashed her
face into the pavement. We ended up having quite a long wait in A&E,
during which I fed her arnica tablets and took photos of her bruising as
it developed. It looked horrific - so many people stared that she
started saying "You should see the other guy!" which kept everyone
entertained. Fortunately there was no major damage but when I took her
to the GP the following week and showed her the series of photos, she
was amazed at the speed of healing.
2018-06-16 20:07:10 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
When you say arnica tablets, do you mean homeopathic ones or something
more, as it were, arnica-y?
2018-06-17 13:30:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
Interesting question. There are quite a few different brands available,
as well as cream, but I've never studied the levels of arnica they
purport to contain. The ones I always carry with me are definitely
homeopathic, made by Nelsons.

For several reasons which I won't elaborate here I use homeopathic
remedies for certain issues. The effectiveness may indeed be due to the
placebo effect in some cases. Whatever. If it works, it works. But I
don't think that the effects I have observed of arnica on visible
bruising can easily be ascribed to the placebo effect.
2018-06-16 21:08:43 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
So many people speak well of arnica, yet the clinicians rubbish it. Yet
again, I wonder why scientists can be so confident their tests are testing
the right stuff.
Jane Vernon
2018-06-17 16:25:20 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
Depends on your clinician. My doctors don't rubbish it. Nor acupuncture.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-06-17 18:24:03 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Post by LFS
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
I was referring to opinions broadcast by the media. Acupuncture is
available from the nhs. Husbad had some sessions for pain management some
years back prior to a hip retread. He didn’t feel it helped the pain much
if at all but said it was hard to judge. The problem with forming a
judgment is finding a form of measurement that is accepted I guess.
2018-06-16 19:05:14 UTC
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio. She
tripped on a chair as she was getting up :(
Ouch! I hope it heals quickly and that the period while it does so is
neither too painful nor too frustrating for either of you.
Whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lie down until the feeling
passes. (Robert Hutchins)
Chris McMillan
2018-06-19 13:40:31 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio. She
tripped on a chair as she was getting up :(
Meanwhile, my activity may be a tad reduced on the usenet front...
Oh poor Mrs BrritSki

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-19 13:50:13 UTC
Waife broke her kneecap 8 days ago in our hotel on Isola di Giglio. She
tripped on a chair as she was getting up  :(
So sorry to hear that, Britters.

I must admit to reading that as Isola di Gigolo. It made me chuckle.

:)
BrritSki
Not Giggle-o ? :)
SODAM

The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Nick Odell
2018-06-16 09:44:53 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Elderly relatives? Worn out from endlessly ferrying pink gins to and
from the bath chairs in the garden?
Young relatives? Totally frazzled from trying to keep them from drowning
in the pond, falling from the outbuildings/trees/telegraph poles, using
the Wedgewood figurines in their simulation of World Cup highlights etc?

EMNTK

2018-06-16 11:42:51 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Elderly relatives? Worn out from endlessly ferrying pink gins to and
from the bath chairs in the garden?
Young relatives? Totally frazzled from trying to keep them from drowning
in the pond, falling from the outbuildings/trees/telegraph poles, using
the Wedgewood figurines in their simulation of World Cup highlights etc?
Non-stop talking relatives!! We normally live a very quiet life. The house
is our own at last and today is a recovery day.
2018-06-19 13:40:30 UTC
...since 11.40am.
Who are you, and what have you done with umra?
Visiting relatives. Now in state of collapse (us, not the relatives). We
haven’t even listened since Sunday. The sky is falling!
Enjoying myself in Brum, didn’t even get round to discussing TA with my
room mate and another girlfr. There are a few other R4 friends (but they
don’t own up to lunch TA listening)