Power switch not complete but who wants to recommend broadband and phone?
2018-02-26 11:15:55 UTC
My bulb account is showing a very nice £50 credit for switching and
another £100 now for the delay in gas switching. That should happen
nest week, and then I'll find what the final bill is from Npower.
although bulb emailed yesterday to say debits for gas AND electricity
begin tomorrow, which I have enquired about. I like how they email you
back in a couple of days.

We've been with talktalk though for years, since Virgin sold us to
them because there was no cable round here, although goodness knows
why not as there is a whole development built and social housing too.
B has always resisted changing as we get a reasonable download rate
and stream lots on netflix and Amazon Prime.

I've been annoyed by the phone bills though when I make calls, and the
last, when I had stuff to sort out, was noticably bigger. We don't
have the pay extra for all calls free as mostly I don't make calls
from the house line, but for a couple of months I did and then the
cost of the extra to get all calls free has now gone up!

I wanted email discussion or at the least online but could never get
talktalk to talk online so complained and now am getting offers to
give me a new 24month deal which sounds like what I am on and I have
queried points that are unclear 3 times and it takes 2 weeks each time
for an email response.

So is anyone with a good provider? I want fast broadband that is never
capped and phone line and free calls would be nice. I would like to be
able to contact them by email and get replies within a few days too :)
2018-02-26 11:31:55 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
I find Plusnet very good. Reliable, fast broadband and excellent
customer service. I have had home phone and broadband with them for a
couple of years and recently moved my mobile account to them, too. I
pay a bit over £30 per month for unlimited phone calls and unlimited
broadband. You may get an introductory discount as I did, but I stuck
with them even when the discount ended. There may be slightly cheaper
packages out there, but I wouldn't consider moving unless there was a
big, big difference - and even then, I'd think about it because they've
been so reliable and when I've rung them I get an intelligent, helpful
person who speaks English as a first language on a very clear line (to
Yorkshire).

If you're thinking of switching to them, let me know; if you tell them I
recommended you I'll get some money off my bill but you'll need a few
details.
2018-02-26 13:46:04 UTC
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:31:55 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Thanks, Sid. I will see what they offer. It did look similar to what
we have, though.
2018-02-26 17:39:32 UTC
Post by Vicky
We've been with talktalk though for years, since Virgin sold us to
them because there was no cable round here, although goodness knows
why not as there is a whole development built and social housing too.
B has always resisted changing as we get a reasonable download rate
and stream lots on netflix and Amazon Prime.
If your exchange is of the worst kind (I think SamKnows is one place to
find out), then whoever you pay for the service, it's just them
reselling you what BT Wholesale sells - rather like the silly situation
with gas or electric.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Vicky
I've been annoyed by the phone bills though when I make calls, and the
last, when I had stuff to sort out, was noticably bigger. We don't
have the pay extra for all calls free as mostly I don't make calls
from the house line, but for a couple of months I did and then the
cost of the extra to get all calls free has now gone up!
With most suppliers, last time I looked, it was about a fiver extra per
month.
Post by Vicky
So is anyone with a good provider? I want fast broadband that is never
capped and phone line and free calls would be nice. I would like to be
able to contact them by email and get replies within a few days too :)
I find Plusnet very good. Reliable, fast broadband and excellent
customer service. I have had home phone and broadband with them for a
couple of years and recently moved my mobile account to them, too. I
pay a bit over £30 per month for unlimited phone calls and unlimited
I'm paying them 197.xx for the year plus 1 a month, but I don't have the
anytime calls, just evening and weekend. The broadband has been
reliable, and fast enough for me. There have been a couple of problems
with I think it was the news server in the last few months, but fixed
within a few days, and I think with the mail servers too, also fixed but
not acknowledged while they were working on them.
Post by Sid Nuncius
broadband. You may get an introductory discount as I did, but I stuck
with them even when the discount ended. There may be slightly cheaper
Watch out for non-coterminous contracts - they tried that on me: they
may offer to extend the introductory discount from 12 to 18 months (or
will default to the 18), but only let you buy the line rental for 12; if
you then decide that the price proffered for the _next_ 12 for line
rental is too high and are going to buy that from someone else, they'll
up the cost of the remaining 6 months of the broadband, or charge you a
lot for stopping it.
Post by Sid Nuncius
packages out there, but I wouldn't consider moving unless there was a
big, big difference - and even then, I'd think about it because they've
been so reliable and when I've rung them I get an intelligent, helpful
person who speaks English as a first language on a very clear line (to
Yorkshire).
How recently have you contacted them? I'd agree, you do usually get a UK
person, but the wait times (both for 'phone and online chat) are quite
high at the moment - 14 to 30 minutes.
Post by Sid Nuncius
If you're thinking of switching to them, let me know; if you tell them
I recommended you I'll get some money off my bill but you'll need a few
details.
I think they're reasonable. Just not as good as when I originally joined
them.

(You have to haggle _every_ renewal to keep the price down, but then I
fear you have to do that whoever you're with, just like car or house
insurance, or utility supply, or ...)

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Flop
2018-02-26 21:01:17 UTC
Watch out for non-coterminous contracts - they tried that on me: they
may offer to extend the introductory discount from 12 to 18 months (or
will default to the 18), but only let you buy the line rental for 12; if
you then decide that the price proffered for the _next_ 12 for line
rental is too high and are going to buy that from someone else, they'll
up the cost of the remaining 6 months of the broadband, or charge you a
lot for stopping it.
[I think that this has now been banned by OFCOM.]

The main advantage of Plusnet is their technical support.

Broadband [BB] customers have a major problem in that poorly functioning
BB can only be resolved by Openreach. And the customer has no access to
Openreach. They must go via their ISP.

So, if your BB stops, how soon it is fixed it will depend on the
activity of the ISP. Some ISPs could not care less. At least Plusnet is
proactive.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-02-27 03:26:42 UTC
Post by Flop
they may offer to extend the introductory discount from 12 to 18
months (or will default to the 18), but only let you buy the line
rental for 12; if you then decide that the price proffered for the
_next_ 12 for line rental is too high and are going to buy that from
someone else, they'll up the cost of the remaining 6 months of the
broadband, or charge you a lot for stopping it.
[I think that this has now been banned by OFCOM.]
No, PlusNet have a way _round_ the new bans. The new rules are that if
they change what they charge you mid-contract, you can leave with no
penalty. PlusNet's way round that is to say: your broadband is this low
amount, _if_ you also take line rental with us - but if you terminate
before the end of the contract, you'll pay a hefty fee per remaining
month. But if the broadband contract is 18 months and the line rental
12, then after 12, you think the price of the next 12 is too high,
they've got you: they can say they haven't changed the terms of the
_broadband_ contract, those terms (i. e. you get it cheap if you take
line rental as well) having been there from the start. So if you _do_ go
with them, _decline_ the offer of an 18 month cheap broadband deal, if
you're only buying a 12 month line rental one.
Post by Flop
The main advantage of Plusnet is their technical support.
Broadband [BB] customers have a major problem in that poorly
functioning BB can only be resolved by Openreach. And the customer has
no access to Openreach. They must go via their ISP.
So, if your BB stops, how soon it is fixed it will depend on the
activity of the ISP. Some ISPs could not care less. At least Plusnet is
proactive.
PlusNet are of course part of BT (though almost infinitely better as a
broadband supplier, unless you can get BT Basic broadband), which
_might_ give them a better line into the engineers.

The advantage with David Attenborough is that people just want to hear him
talk. About anything.
- Kirsty Young (Desert Island Discs presenter), RT 2015/9/25-10/2