It's a woman
2017-07-16 15:39:10 UTC
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-07-16 16:23:02 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:39:10 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...

Slightly disappointed it's not Chizzy Akudolu.
Peter Percival
2017-07-16 16:43:23 UTC
dust...
Slightly disappointed it's not Chizzy Akudolu.
I think three birds could have been killed with one stone by giving the
role to a brown homosexual female.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-16 17:59:39 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Penny
dust...
Slightly disappointed it's not Chizzy Akudolu.
I think three birds could have been killed with one stone by giving the
role to a brown homosexual female.
... disabled, single parent, recovering drug addict, ...

(I haven't a clue what you're all on about, by the way!)

Today, I dare say more people know who starred as /The Vicar of Dibley/ than
know the name of the vicar of their local parish. - Clive Anderson, Radio
Times 15-21 January 2011.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-16 18:03:58 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Penny
dust...
Slightly disappointed it's not Chizzy Akudolu.
I think three birds could have been killed with one stone by giving
the role to a brown homosexual female.
... disabled, single parent, recovering drug addict, ...
(I haven't a clue what you're all on about, by the way!)
Ah - I've just heard on the pre-TA news. I always thought Joanna Lumley
would have made an excellent one, after her brief stint on Comic Relief
a few years ago. (Quite a few, probably.)

Times 15-21 January 2011.
Marjorie
2017-07-17 10:10:13 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Penny
dust...
Slightly disappointed it's not Chizzy Akudolu.
I think three birds could have been killed with one stone by giving
the role to a brown homosexual female.
... disabled, single parent, recovering drug addict, ...
(I haven't a clue what you're all on about, by the way!)
Ah - I've just heard on the pre-TA news. I always thought Joanna Lumley
would have made an excellent one, after her brief stint on Comic Relief
a few years ago. (Quite a few, probably.)
Well, I'm glad Brian has realised at last that Ruairi's attorney doesn't
have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley might have
better things to do.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Peter Percival
2017-07-17 12:32:30 UTC
Post by Marjorie
[...]
have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley might have
better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but I
think she's in her seventies.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-17 16:40:42 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Marjorie
[...]
have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley might have
better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but I
think she's in her seventies.
Joanna Lumley is 70, She mentioned it in her current tv series visiting
India/Sikkim where her grandparents and parents lived (among other things).

Sincerely Chris
Clive Arthur
2017-07-17 17:16:56 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Marjorie
[...]
have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley might have
better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but I
think she's in her seventies.
Joanna Lumley is 70, She mentioned it in her current tv series visiting
India/Sikkim where her grandparents and parents lived (among other things).
Sincerely Chris
So *that's* what FAL looks like.

Cheers
Clive
Jenny M Benson
2017-07-17 23:17:31 UTC
Joanna Lumley is 70, She mentioned it in her current tv series visiting
India/Sikkim where her grandparents and parents lived (among other things).
71, now.
2017-07-18 06:02:48 UTC
Joanna Lumley is 70, She mentioned it in her current tv series visiting
India/Sikkim where her grandparents and parents lived (among other things).
71, now.
How so if born in 1947; or is it my maths?
2017-07-17 19:55:00 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Marjorie
[...]
have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley might have
better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but I
think she's in her seventies.
1. Would you say that if she were a man? (And, close up, she does look
it. [And would _I_ say that if she were a man?] But still attractive to
me, partly because of the voice and partly memories.)
2. But you can't deny she has boundless energy, whatever her age!

Only dirty people need wash
Peter Percival
2017-07-18 14:06:03 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
[...] have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley
might have better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but
I think she's in her seventies.
1. Would you say that if she were a man? (And, close up, she does
look it. [And would _I_ say that if she were a man?] But still
attractive to me, partly because of the voice and partly memories.)
I agree, she's very nicely spoken. So keep her for the wireless! She
was a good looking bird in her youth... but... erm... that's passed. (I
recall seeing her starkers in something. I've long forgotten what.)
2017-07-18 18:04:12 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter Percival
[...] have to be male, but I would have thought Joanna Lumley
might have better things to do.
Such as retire. I know it's impolite to mention a lady's age, but
I think she's in her seventies.
1. Would you say that if she were a man? (And, close up, she does
look it. [And would _I_ say that if she were a man?] But still
attractive to me, partly because of the voice and partly memories.)
I agree, she's very nicely spoken. So keep her for the wireless! She
was a good looking bird in her youth... but... erm... that's passed.
(I recall seeing her starkers in something. I've long forgotten what.)
She famously (well, it's well-known among her fans; I don't think she
actively promotes it!) started her (film) career in the soft porn
industry. The best-known (I've not seen it except a clip, nor any of the
others at all) is "Games Lovers Play"; in that she's almost
unrecognisable (long red wig, IIRR - others have used that), until she
speaks, when she's unmistakeable. (Similarly in one of the Bond films,
where she's "English Girl".)

Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
Serena Blanchflower
2017-07-16 18:19:02 UTC
On 16/07/2017 16:39, krw wrote:
Who?
People are forever calling me a hypochondriac and, let me tell you, that
makes me sick.
Jim Easterbrook
2017-07-17 08:31:20 UTC
Who?
That's right.
2017-07-16 21:26:33 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:39:10 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

Haven't watched in several years and this isn't going to make me start
again.
2017-07-17 06:56:57 UTC
Post by Fenny
Haven't watched in several years and this isn't going to make me start
again.
We used to watch, then during season 8 episodes started to
accumulate on the PVR, were moved off to DVD and have remained
unwatched, along with season 9. We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-07-17 08:34:40 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
Haven't watched in several years and this isn't going to make me start
again.
We used to watch, then during season 8 episodes started to
accumulate on the PVR, were moved off to DVD and have remained
unwatched, along with season 9. We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
YAMYA. At least you are if Season 8 equates with the first Matt Smith
season and ICBA to check. I think I nearly got to the end of that season
before running out of interest. By the time the beeb had decided to
charge me a fee if I wanted to record from their telly, it didn't really
matter to me anyway.

2017-07-17 09:01:33 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:34:40 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
Haven't watched in several years and this isn't going to make me start
again.
We used to watch, then during season 8 episodes started to
accumulate on the PVR, were moved off to DVD and have remained
unwatched, along with season 9. We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
YAMYA. At least you are if Season 8 equates with the first Matt Smith
season and ICBA to check. I think I nearly got to the end of that season
before running out of interest. By the time the beeb had decided to
charge me a fee if I wanted to record from their telly, it didn't really
matter to me anyway.
IIRC, Matt Smith's first season was when Moffat took over from RTD as
the "show runner" and it all went badly downhill from there. The
story lines got far too "timey-wimey" and convoluted and I was never
really a fan of the whole Amy & Rory bit and River Song got so OTT I
got bored. Plus the way each season was set out, with the same set of
episodes each time, was predictable and repetitive.

It went from being a good show to the echo of a good show. I only
ever see the Christmas eps now (if I'm forced) and found most of those
to be utterly dull non-events.
2017-07-17 10:23:44 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
[...]
I really disliked the Matt Smith ones and most of Rory etc too but
like Capaldi and am looking forward to the new Dr. I didn't like all
the Capaldi episodes. Quite frequently we said "Worst episode ever" at
the end, but they always got worse.
2017-07-17 19:38:03 UTC
Post by Vicky
I really disliked the Matt Smith ones and most of Rory etc too but
like Capaldi and am looking forward to the new Dr. I didn't like all
the Capaldi episodes. Quite frequently we said "Worst episode ever" at
the end, but they always got worse.
It's all academic for me, as I won't be paying a licence fee until a)
I get my aerial fixed and b) there's a major sporting event that I
deem worth watching.
2017-07-17 09:02:55 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
There were signs that finally something was making sense in what I have
seen of the last season. In season eight some of the explanations were
simply not explained. However the latest assistants were not terribly
helpful.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-07-17 10:26:19 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
There were signs that finally something was making sense in what I have
seen of the last season. In season eight some of the explanations were
simply not explained. However the latest assistants were not terribly
helpful.
Only ever liked Rose and Captain Jack, but not Torchwood at all. That
was rubbish. I suppose Donna was ok. That's of the modern ones. I
remember not liking some of the assistants of the old ones too. Some
were Wet. Perri. But then my Dr was the first, with Susan.
2017-07-17 11:15:30 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Post by Chris J Dixon
We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
There were signs that finally something was making sense in what I have
seen of the last season. In season eight some of the explanations were
simply not explained. However the latest assistants were not terribly
helpful.
Only ever liked Rose and Captain Jack, but not Torchwood at all. That
was rubbish. I suppose Donna was ok. That's of the modern ones. I
remember not liking some of the assistants of the old ones too. Some
were Wet. Perri. But then my Dr was the first, with Susan.
Peri is the very lovely Nicola Bryant and can do no wrong - but Ace
should never have been an assistant and the latest girl I cannot stand.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-17 19:52:35 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Post by Chris J Dixon
We didn't even bother recording
the most recent season.
There were signs that finally something was making sense in what I have
seen of the last season. In season eight some of the explanations were
simply not explained. However the latest assistants were not terribly
helpful.
Only ever liked Rose and Captain Jack, but not Torchwood at all. That
was rubbish. I suppose Donna was ok. That's of the modern ones. I
remember not liking some of the assistants of the old ones too. Some
were Wet. Perri. But then my Dr was the first, with Susan.
Pertwee was mine. Of the old assistants, I liked Tegan - but knew she
wouldn't last, because she was (of the old ones) the only one with some
fire of her own, who didn't say "what do we do now, doctor?". (That's
_why_ I liked her.) And of course I was the right age to like (if that's
the right word) Louise Jameson (before she had blue eyes), but then in
those days the assistants were "something for the Dads". (In which
category Perry certainly qualified - _very_ provocative; however, by
then the original series was in its decline.) I never really got into
the new serieses (?), though my brother did at times.

_Some_ of TOS (can we say that outside TrekWorld?) were just _weird_.
There was a time (1990s?) when they retransmitted most of them, and some
of them - I remember one when I think there were two assistants, one
being Scottish Jamie - were decidedly surreal. (And terrible picture
quality, though that seemed to add to the weirdness.)

Only dirty people need wash
Des Watson
2017-07-18 13:08:24 UTC
I was hoping for Mary Berry. Not so busy post-Bakeoff. I'd love to see
the Daleks beaten by having to tackle a cup of tea and a nice slice of
Victoria sponge. And the sonic screwdriver could come in handy for meringue.

Best wishes

Des
Mike
2017-07-18 13:19:06 UTC
Post by Des Watson
I was hoping for Mary Berry. Not so busy post-Bakeoff. I'd love to see
the Daleks beaten by having to tackle a cup of tea and a nice slice of
Victoria sponge. And the sonic screwdriver could come in handy for meringue.
Best wishes
Des
Hello Des, are you new to UMRA? If so, welcome.
Des Watson
2017-07-18 13:53:02 UTC
Hello Des, are you new to UMRA? If so, welcome.
Many thanks - but not new at all - actively lurking since the early days
of usenet. Started listening regularly in 1973, gave up in despair when
Nigel had his accident and I'm now, very gradually, listening a little more.

I *will* try and join in a little more. This newsgroup gives me much
pleasure, even as just a passive listener!

Best wishes

Des
Btms
2017-07-18 17:15:45 UTC
Post by Des Watson
Post by Mike
Hello Des, are you new to UMRA? If so, welcome.
Many thanks - but not new at all - actively lurking since the early days
of usenet. Started listening regularly in 1973, gave up in despair when
Nigel had his accident and I'm now, very gradually, listening a little more.
I *will* try and join in a little more. This newsgroup gives me much
pleasure, even as just a passive listener!
Best wishes
Des
I loved your suggesttion for the Dr.Please join in more!
2017-07-18 17:59:32 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Des Watson
Post by Mike
Hello Des, are you new to UMRA? If so, welcome.
Many thanks - but not new at all - actively lurking since the early days
of usenet. Started listening regularly in 1973, gave up in despair when
Nigel had his accident and I'm now, very gradually, listening a little more.
I *will* try and join in a little more. This newsgroup gives me much
pleasure, even as just a passive listener!
Best wishes
Des
I loved your suggesttion for the Dr.Please join in more!
Indeed. I'm going to forward it, once I can decide who to.

Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.