Archers moonlighting
2017-02-27 16:15:48 UTC
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.

Sincerely Chris
Peter Percival
2017-02-27 16:21:40 UTC
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing
New Grub Street. D'ya listen to Ed Reardon's Week?
Post by Chris McMillan
is or why he should be the subject of a
was
Post by Chris McMillan
play.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-28 16:01:44 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
is or why he should be the subject of a
was
Post by Chris McMillan
play.
Sincerely Chris
Ed Reardon, yes (on my part reluctantly).

The other I have no idea about.

2017-02-27 16:29:43 UTC
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Sincerely Chris
Of course, one might care to use a time machine called Listen Again to find
out...
the Omrud
2017-02-27 17:12:11 UTC
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
David
Mike McMillan
2017-02-27 17:43:58 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
Probably started off from Wigan Pier....πŸ˜‰
2017-02-27 23:17:25 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
Probably started off from Wigan Pier....πŸ˜‰
Surely he'd have gone by road if he'd done that.
2017-02-28 08:38:53 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
Probably started off from Wigan Pier....πŸ˜‰
Surely he'd have gone by road if he'd done that.
No, the road is 'to' Wigan Pier, there's no way 'from' WP by road.πŸ˜‰
2017-02-28 16:38:54 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
Probably started off from Wigan Pier....πŸ˜‰
Surely he'd have gone by road if he'd done that.
No, the road is 'to' Wigan Pier, there's no way 'from' WP by road.πŸ˜‰
Picky, picky...
From what I understand, the real 'Wigan Pier' is actually a rather
inauspicious spot on a canal bankπŸ˜’.
Peter Percival
2017-02-28 17:03:48 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Ooh, look, he died in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. I've spent a week or so
there. Long way for HGW to travel to visit him athough I suppose there
were trains.
Probably started off from Wigan Pier....πŸ˜‰
Surely he'd have gone by road if he'd done that.
No, the road is 'to' Wigan Pier, there's no way 'from' WP by road.πŸ˜‰
Picky, picky...
From what I understand, the real 'Wigan Pier' is actually a rather
inauspicious spot on a canal bankπŸ˜’.
The original Wigan Pier--a landing stage--was demolished even before
Orwell wrote his book!
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-28 23:56:30 UTC
In message <yIhtA.526555$***@fx17.am4>, Mike McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
From what I understand, the real 'Wigan Pier' is actually a rather
inauspicious spot on a canal bank0 >
I think it was originally irony on the part of (I think) George Orwell -
Wigan not being coastal, did not of course _have_ a pier; but after
Orwell's work became so popular, various small protuberances (onto
railways, canals, etc.) acquired the reputation of being it.

If you're playing a killer monster, be very quiet. -
Anthony Hopkins, RT 2016/10/22-28
Penny
2017-02-28 15:57:00 UTC
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:15:48 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon.
I failed to spot her under that French accent.

But I
Post by Chris McMillan
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Odd cove, according to the play.
Wrote New Grub Street, from which the characters Ed(win) Reardon and
Jas(per) Milvain were purloined by Christopher Douglas.
2017-02-28 16:16:43 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Odd cove, according to the play.
Wrote New Grub Street, from which the characters Ed(win) Reardon and
Jas(per) Milvain were purloined by Christopher Douglas.
Thanks for that, Penny!

2017-02-28 17:04:47 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Odd cove, according to the play.
Wrote New Grub Street, from which the characters Ed(win) Reardon and
Jas(per) Milvain were purloined by Christopher Douglas.
Deeply depressing books. Wells was also an odd cove, carried on with all
sorts of women including E Nesbit.
Mike Ruddock
2017-02-28 17:27:46 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Odd cove, according to the play.
Wrote New Grub Street, from which the characters Ed(win) Reardon and
Jas(per) Milvain were purloined by Christopher Douglas.
Deeply depressing books. Wells was also an odd cove, carried on with all
sorts of women including E Nesbit.
And I doubt if he had the crisp accent delivered by Julian Rhind-Tutt.
(I have often wondered if JR-T is related to the man after whom the
Rhind papyrus, which is concerned with Ancient Egyptian arithmetic, is
named)).

Mike Ruddock

---
2017-02-28 18:02:01 UTC
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:27:46 +0000, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Chris McMillan
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Odd cove, according to the play.
Wrote New Grub Street, from which the characters Ed(win) Reardon and
Jas(per) Milvain were purloined by Christopher Douglas.
Deeply depressing books. Wells was also an odd cove,
Which also came across in the play.
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by LFS
carried on with all
sorts of women including E Nesbit.
But not (overtly) that bit.

I've read lots of Wells but no Gissing.
Post by Mike Ruddock
And I doubt if he had the crisp accent delivered by Julian Rhind-Tutt.
I have heard the ubiquitous Mr Tutt do other accents but not one which
would have fitted the part better - he just didn't 'feel' right to me, I
kept wanting him to be David Haig instead.
Post by Mike Ruddock
(I have often wondered if JR-T is related to the man after whom the
Rhind papyrus, which is concerned with Ancient Egyptian arithmetic, is
named)).
That Rhind was a Scot who wandered off to Egypt in search of antiquities
and a climate more conducive to his pulmonary disease. He seems to have
crammed quite a lot of 'collecting' into his brief life.
2017-03-01 07:19:29 UTC
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:27:46 +0000, Mike Ruddock
I've read lots of Wells but no Gissing.
You haven't missed anything. I only read it because a friend of my
mother's who I was very impressed by when I was young talked about him a
lot, I have no idea why.
Post by Penny
Post by Mike Ruddock
And I doubt if he had the crisp accent delivered by Julian Rhind-Tutt.
I have heard the ubiquitous Mr Tutt do other accents but not one which
would have fitted the part better - he just didn't 'feel' right to me, I
kept wanting him to be David Haig instead.
Oh yes! Me too. I think he has cornered the market in playing such men.
2017-03-01 11:28:36 UTC
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 07:19:29 +0000, LFS <***@DRAGONspira.fsbusiness.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
I have heard the ubiquitous Mr Tutt do other accents but not one which
would have fitted the part better - he just didn't 'feel' right to me, I
kept wanting him to be David Haig instead.
Oh yes! Me too. I think he has cornered the market in playing such men.
Similar accent range to JRT. I don't know why but I love David Haig.
2017-03-01 20:42:58 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
I have heard the ubiquitous Mr Tutt do other accents but not one which
would have fitted the part better - he just didn't 'feel' right to me, I
kept wanting him to be David Haig instead.
Oh yes! Me too. I think he has cornered the market in playing such men.
Similar accent range to JRT. I don't know why but I love David Haig.
He does mad awfully well.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Peter Percival
2017-03-01 20:58:57 UTC
Similar accent range to JRT. I don't know why but I love David Haig.
Is it his dimple, generally?
to me what you really mean.
2017-03-02 08:19:59 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Penny
Similar accent range to JRT. I don't know why but I love David Haig.
Is it his dimple, generally?
Could you be a little less vague?
Peter Percival
2017-03-02 13:25:24 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Penny
Similar accent range to JRT. I don't know why but I love David Haig.
Is it his dimple, generally?
Could you be a little less vague?
Earl certainly try.
to me what you really mean.
Peter Percival
2017-02-28 19:36:06 UTC
Helen's best friend has been heard in "Wells Way" this afternoon. But I
have no idea who George Gissing is or why he should be the subject of a
play.
Also, Joe in Steptoe and Son today.
to me what you really mean.