UMRA Symphony Club
the Omrud
2017-06-28 14:21:07 UTC
Here I sit in SW France, tinkering with my technology and listening to
R3 on my bluetooth headphones, over the ether. A very tuneful symphony
is playing, which I couldn't identify. On checking, I find it's Kurt
Weill's Second Symphony. I'm a fan of Weill (and much other musical
theatre of the time) but I didn't know he'd written symphonies. I must
investigate.
David
Chris McMillan
2017-06-28 18:13:04 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Here I sit in SW France, tinkering with my technology and listening to
R3 on my bluetooth headphones, over the ether. A very tuneful symphony
is playing, which I couldn't identify. On checking, I find it's Kurt
Weill's Second Symphony. I'm a fan of Weill (and much other musical
theatre of the time) but I didn't know he'd written symphonies. I must
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....

2017-06-29 05:13:31 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
theatre of the time) but I didn't know he'd written symphonies.
I must
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....
Would that be a ship with eight sails, and with fifty cannons?

jenny
Vicky
2017-06-29 08:53:17 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....
Would that be a ship with eight sails, and with fifty cannons?
jenny
I am not sure I'd like a symphony as I don't listen to much classical
music but I do like Weil. I associate him with my mum. For my 16th
birthday she took me to the Savoy theatre to see Marta Schlam sing
Brecht and Weil. We had a table very close to the performance and
dinner first there. I felt so sophisticated :). And I very much
enjoyed the music.
2017-06-29 11:33:20 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....
Would that be a ship with eight sails, and with fifty cannons?
jenny
:). Could be. We need our Tall Sails correspondent.

Sincerely Chris
the Omrud
2017-06-29 13:07:27 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Here I sit in SW France, tinkering with my technology and listening to
R3 on my bluetooth headphones, over the ether. A very tuneful symphony
is playing, which I couldn't identify. On checking, I find it's Kurt
Weill's Second Symphony. I'm a fan of Weill (and much other musical
theatre of the time) but I didn't know he'd written symphonies. I must
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....
Would that be a ship with eight sails, and with fifty cannons?
jenny
:). Could be. We need our Tall Sails correspondent.
Back to me then. I spent a fortnight on the Sail Training Ship "Malcolm
Miller" when I was 17. Worcestershire paid because I'd been teaching
sailing for years at the county sailing centre.
David
Vicky
2017-06-29 17:24:29 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Chris McMillan
:). Could be. We need our Tall Sails correspondent.
Back to me then. I spent a fortnight on the Sail Training Ship "Malcolm
Miller" when I was 17. Worcestershire paid because I'd been teaching
sailing for years at the county sailing centre.
We ulearned to sail at the Herts Sailing Base in Cheshunt . We did the
day sailor course, including how to capsize and right a dingy, an
Otter. As Capt Ex had his Master's ticket he and the bosun of the
centre who was teaching his group used to sod off to the pub.

We then got a Heron dingy and parked it on the reservoir at Stanstead
Abbotts at the club there. We began when the daughters were small but
very soon they joined us and we had the 4 helms, no crew problem. The
club had fun events for the whole family, fireworks parties and summer
regattas with events for children too.

WHen the kids were in their teens we rented a boat, unfortunately with
accompanying obnoxious owner, for two weeks, but it was a catamaran,
which has a horrible motion. We went to France and the Channel Isles
and came back at night. We came into Poole Harbour in the dark under
sail! The owner was playing with his radio and #1 daughter and I were
puking. Capt Ex and #2 daughter as lookout managed a safe return.
2017-06-29 18:10:27 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
Here I sit in SW France, tinkering with my technology and listening to
R3 on my bluetooth headphones, over the ether. A very tuneful symphony
is playing, which I couldn't identify. On checking, I find it's Kurt
Weill's Second Symphony. I'm a fan of Weill (and much other musical
theatre of the time) but I didn't know he'd written symphonies. I must
investigate.
Whatever floats your boat .....
Would that be a ship with eight sails, and with fifty cannons?
jenny
:). Could be. We need our Tall Sails correspondent.
Back to me then. I spent a fortnight on the Sail Training Ship "Malcolm
Miller" when I was 17. Worcestershire paid because I'd been teaching
sailing for years at the county sailing centre.
Should have read Tall Ships correspondent. Didn't know we had a second
corespondent. I was thinking Doug Faunt who's a very busy tall sailing
ship boy these days (and his cat ), no I have not made this up.

2017-07-01 21:29:35 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by the Omrud
[...]
Nautical cats have nine tails as well as nine lives.
Sam
Sid Nuncius
2017-07-04 06:46:47 UTC
Should have read Tall Ships correspondent. Didn't know we had a second
corespondent. I was thinking Doug Faunt who's a very busy tall sailing
ship boy these days (and his cat ), no I have not made this up.
Nautical cats have nine tails as well as nine lives.
And they play clean as country water.

Er...that may not be quite right, now I look at it again.
2017-06-29 15:17:46 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:33:20 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
We need our Tall Sails correspondent.
Currently training a new ship's cat.