listening to 6/3/17, 7/3 too
Vicky
2017-03-09 22:02:06 UTC

The obnoxious Miranda is telling Lilian she knows. Lilian might want
to reflect that although Miranda is sneering that Justin's taste has
got worse and Lilian is not as young as his usual choices, she,
Miranda, is saying it was with her permission up to now, or knowledge,
and now she is stopping it. So she must feel threatened, so Lilian
must be a diversion more likely to really hold Justin.

I wonder if Miranda is being painted as all round nasty because Justin
will leave her in the end for Lilian. And then we can feel pleased
about it. She has been OTT rude to everyone. We don't know exactly
what her hold over him might be. Maybe just a wish not to have a messy
divorce. We've speculated on financial control, haven't we.

I just don't like Toby. He is a bad influence and has no idea of
responsibility. He was 'with' Kate at one point, wasn't he? Might he
comfort Lilian now as a better bet for support now that he's got Pip's
5k?

Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Vicky
Peter Percival
2017-03-09 22:07:45 UTC
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to eat
you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop to
zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well don't
give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
to me what you really mean.
Vicky
2017-03-09 22:36:50 UTC
On Thu, 9 Mar 2017 22:07:45 +0000, Peter Percival
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to eat
you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop to
zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well don't
give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
There was a project to try this. The UK people didn't want to do the
work and the employers said they were unreliable and not up to the
work.
Vicky
krw
2017-03-09 23:25:09 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to eat
you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop to
zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well don't
give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
Nice trolling. The unemployed are largely in towns and cities and
nowhere near the work. The gangmasters who run the pickers know where
to find suitable labour, house it and deliver it to the farms.

Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-03-10 08:15:12 UTC
Post by krw
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
You'll have to bus them back from Benidorm first.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Sally Thompson
2017-03-10 08:34:43 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
You'll have to bus them back from Benidorm first.
<grin>
Sally in Shropshire, UK
krw
2017-03-10 09:13:27 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
You'll have to bus them back from Benidorm first.
Yes the Solana is back on the box.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-10 09:18:10 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
You'll have to bus them back from Benidorm first.
I believe that's already being done. I read an article, a while back,
about a care agency which supplies live-in carers, who employed quite a
few ex-pats from the Costas. They'd come back to the UK to work for a
month or two at a time and make a few bob, before returning to Spain.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise (Alice Walker)
LFS
2017-03-10 08:50:55 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to
eat you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop
to zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well
don't give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
Nice trolling. The unemployed are largely in towns and cities and
nowhere near the work. The gangmasters who run the pickers know where
to find suitable labour, house it and deliver it to the farms.
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
I happened to look up current UK employment statistics only yesterday.
We have more people defined as employed now than at any time since
records began in 1971. You may of course dispute the definitions used
but I still find that pretty amazing.

I was prompted to do that by a report quoting the CEO of Pret a Manger
who said that only 1 in 50 of job applications they receive is from a
British national. My own local observations suggest that few Brits are
employed on the front line in hospitality or the NHS or the local car
factory (most of the people working there are from Eastern Europe: once
upon a time they were predominantly Welsh).

So if they are not out of work, where are the 75% of people between 16
and 64 actually working?
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Penny
2017-03-10 09:30:29 UTC
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 08:50:55 +0000, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
So if they are not out of work, where are the 75% of people between 16
and 64 actually working?
I believe a lot of them found claiming unemployment benefit is now so
stressful (and you can only do it for 6 months) that, for the sake of their
health, they are now registered as self-employed instead and can then claim
different benefits. They can take short term work when it's available
without jumping through the crazy hoops the DWP demand.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Vicky
2017-03-10 09:43:53 UTC
Post by LFS
I happened to look up current UK employment statistics only yesterday.
We have more people defined as employed now than at any time since
records began in 1971. You may of course dispute the definitions used
but I still find that pretty amazing.
I was prompted to do that by a report quoting the CEO of Pret a Manger
who said that only 1 in 50 of job applications they receive is from a
British national. My own local observations suggest that few Brits are
employed on the front line in hospitality or the NHS or the local car
factory (most of the people working there are from Eastern Europe: once
upon a time they were predominantly Welsh).
So if they are not out of work, where are the 75% of people between 16
and 64 actually working?
Zero hours contracts that don't actually give them any income, or not
enough to live on? Work placements, mandatory ones, that only pay
benefits and give supermarkets free labour and get the labourers off
the enemployment stats?

Also some would be on mandatory 'training' that is to help them into
work, for companies who are privately owned and who have almost no
success in getting them into actual jobs. Some might just be
starving and trying to stay live with the help of food banks, having
been santioned unreasonably and so not getting benefits. Are those off
the unemployment list?
Vicky
Marjorie
2017-03-10 15:21:10 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
[...]
But then there are more people in total than in 1971. It's the
proportion of the adult workforce that we should be counting, not the
number in any one category.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
LFS
2017-03-10 15:56:32 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by LFS
Post by krw
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employment-rate-hits-record-742
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Peter Percival
2017-03-10 17:58:18 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
[...]
The population has increased because of a flood of imigrants. Has the
_proportion_ of people in work increased?
Vicky
2017-03-10 09:39:29 UTC
Post by krw
Of course we could revert to the Kent hop picking which was undertaken
by London's east end community whilst on their holidays.
One of my adult education students used to do that every year when she
was a child. She enjoyed it. it was the family annual holiday treat.

Not all families like to go to the Costas and stay in hotels. There
are many who like primitive conditions like camping. Both offsprung
like that, but they didn't get it from me.
Vicky
Peter Percival
Sam Plusnet
2017-03-10 21:00:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to
eat you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop
to zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well
don't give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
Nice trolling. The unemployed are largely in towns and cities and
nowhere near the work.
Tents.
Will you volunteer and lead by example? I'm pretty sure we would
respect that sort of commitment.
Sam Plusnet
Peter Percival
2017-03-10 21:02:04 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Peter Percival
Post by krw
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
Ooooh! A topical insert about EU fruit pickers. They aren't the only
EU workers we need. Several other areas of work will have problems
unless they have exceptions.
Send people on the dole to do the work. Say to them, if you want to
eat you'll have to work. The number of people one the dole would drop
to zero in a week. What to do with the public money saved? Well
don't give it to the NHS. They'll just spend it and ask for more.
Nice trolling. The unemployed are largely in towns and cities and
nowhere near the work.
Tents.
Will you volunteer and lead by example? I'm pretty sure we would
respect that sort of commitment.
I'm not on the dole.
krw
2017-03-09 23:23:14 UTC
Post by Vicky
I just don't like Toby. He is a bad influence and has no idea of
responsibility. He was 'with' Kate at one point, wasn't he?
I believe the usual term is a one-night stand and he was largely
responsible for sheep dip in the swimming pool or similar.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk