Breaking news
2017-10-04 10:06:04 UTC
Don’t seem to be able to capture a link, so from the BBC:

It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.

"I’m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I’m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale, two of the
UK’s most iconic programmes. And though I’ll be away from Borsetshire, the
fantastic cast and crew of The Archers in Birmingham will always have a
special place in my heart and I’ll be listening as avidly as I ever have.
I’ve loved being part of such a brilliant programme.”

Kennair-Jones joined The Archers in September 2016, having previously
worked as a producer, commissioning editor and commissioning executive for
independent production companies, Sky Drama, and the BBC.

Recruitment for Kennair-Jones’ replacement will begin shortly.

(There are apparently comments to the effect of not recruiting someone who
has worked on East Enders, and not bringing back SOC).
2017-10-04 11:56:52 UTC
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
[]
When?

Isn't this rather sudden?
Post by Sally Thompson
Recruitment for Kennair-Jones’ replacement will begin shortly.
Get that application in, umrat ...
Post by Sally Thompson
(There are apparently comments to the effect of not recruiting someone who
has worked on East Enders, and not bringing back SOC).
(-:

`Where a calculator on the Eniac is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and
weighs
30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps
weigh 1.5 tons.' Popular Mechanics, March 1949 (quoted in Computing 1999-12-16)
Fenny
2017-10-04 16:59:42 UTC
On 4 Oct 2017 10:06:04 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I’m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I’m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
2017-10-04 17:47:32 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I’m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I’m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
I don’t think you spelt commissionaire correctly there. ;-)
2017-10-04 21:36:43 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I’m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I’m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
We could perhaps offer him sonething?
2017-10-05 08:29:46 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world?s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I?m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I?m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
We could perhaps offer him sonething?
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
2017-10-05 09:11:25 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world?s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I?m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I?m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
We could perhaps offer him sonething?
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
The highlight of which is a brass razzoo.
2017-10-05 09:54:46 UTC
Post by Vicky
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
The highlight of which is a brass razzoo.
This prompted me to wonder: did such an item (brass or otherwise) ever
exist, or has it always been a jocular concept? So I did a little
googling: Wikipedia says fairly definitively that there has never
actually been a monetary unit, though has various explanations as to the
origin (such as "a sou", a one-time French coin of low value).

"The people here are more educated and intelligent. Even stupid people in
Britain are smarter than Americans." Madonna, in RT 30 June-6July 2001 (page
32)
Mike
2017-10-05 10:30:02 UTC
Post by Vicky
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
The highlight of which is a brass razzoo.
This prompted me to wonder: did such an item (brass or otherwise) ever
exist, or has it always been a jocular concept? So I did a little
googling: Wikipedia says fairly definitively that there has never
actually been a monetary unit, though has various explanations as to the
origin (such as "a sou", a one-time French coin of low value).
When I looked into the razzoo a while back, the concept was that of an
imaginary coin with a value somewhat less than the cube root of nugger all.
2017-10-05 11:35:58 UTC
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 09:29:46 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world?s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I?m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I?m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
We could perhaps offer him sonething?
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
I think there may be a brass razoo and some pre-euro coins buried in the
chocolate bunker.
2017-10-05 16:59:47 UTC
I think there may be a brass razoo and some pre-euro coins buried in the
chocolate bunker.
Speaking of chocolate, I did some research on Tuesday and umrats who
said dark chocolate is more satisfying and you can have less of it are
right. I do like it and will eat most chocolate, but not the health
shop substitute, but often went for CDM and lots of it when bingeing.

I'd previously bought and enjoyed small pieces of Lindt with sea salt
and then got some Lindt 70% dark and some Sainsburys special thingy
72% dark. I decided to try a 4cm square of each. I had a bit of the L
and then a bit of the S and decided I prefer the S. I finished the L
square and then was unable to finish the S one! I felt zingy and as if
I'd had too much alcohol or something.
2017-10-05 22:17:21 UTC
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017 17:59:47 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Speaking of chocolate, I did some research on Tuesday and umrats who
said dark chocolate is more satisfying and you can have less of it are
right. I do like it and will eat most chocolate, but not the health
shop substitute, but often went for CDM and lots of it when bingeing.
Too much sugar in CDM which makes you more inclined to binge on it.
Post by Vicky
I'd previously bought and enjoyed small pieces of Lindt with sea salt
and then got some Lindt 70% dark and some Sainsburys special thingy
72% dark. I decided to try a 4cm square of each. I had a bit of the L
and then a bit of the S and decided I prefer the S. I finished the L
square and then was unable to finish the S one! I felt zingy and as if
I'd had too much alcohol or something.
No Sainsbugs here. I usually eat Green & Blacks dark cooking chocolate as
better value than G&B ordinary dark - both are 70%, the cooking is a little
softer. The listed ingredients and nutritional values are identical but
they don't taste quite the same and melt in the mouth differently.
2017-10-06 08:05:21 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
I'd previously bought and enjoyed small pieces of Lindt with sea salt
and then got some Lindt 70% dark and some Sainsburys special thingy
72% dark. I decided to try a 4cm square of each. I had a bit of the L
and then a bit of the S and decided I prefer the S. I finished the L
square and then was unable to finish the S one! I felt zingy and as if
I'd had too much alcohol or something.
No Sainsbugs here. I usually eat Green & Blacks dark cooking chocolate as
better value than G&B ordinary dark - both are 70%, the cooking is a little
softer. The listed ingredients and nutritional values are identical but
they don't taste quite the same and melt in the mouth differently.
Anything is preferable to Hershey chocolate though..... our favourite
nibble is Lidl’s 81% Arriba cocoa beans choccy bars (12.5 gram squares)
trading as J.D. Gross Arriba Superieur.
2017-10-06 11:20:03 UTC
On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 08:05:21 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
I'd previously bought and enjoyed small pieces of Lindt with sea salt
and then got some Lindt 70% dark and some Sainsburys special thingy
72% dark. I decided to try a 4cm square of each. I had a bit of the L
and then a bit of the S and decided I prefer the S. I finished the L
square and then was unable to finish the S one! I felt zingy and as if
I'd had too much alcohol or something.
No Sainsbugs here. I usually eat Green & Blacks dark cooking chocolate as
better value than G&B ordinary dark - both are 70%, the cooking is a little
softer. The listed ingredients and nutritional values are identical but
they don't taste quite the same and melt in the mouth differently.
Anything is preferable to Hershey chocolate though..... our favourite
nibble is Lidl’s 81% Arriba cocoa beans choccy bars (12.5 gram squares)
trading as J.D. Gross Arriba Superieur.
I can't cope with much above 70% or migraines occur. I do sometimes buy
Lidl's lower cocoa offerings but from the rate at which I demolish them I
suspect they have too much sugar to prevent the must-have-more reflex.
2017-10-06 13:02:43 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
I can't cope with much above 70% or migraines occur. I do sometimes buy
Lidl's lower cocoa offerings but from the rate at which I demolish them I
suspect they have too much sugar to prevent the must-have-more reflex.
Just to give you some hope: my blind friend had certain triggers:
alcohol, cheese, oranges (except, she thought, satsumas), and chocolate;
if she had more than a small amount of any of these, she got migraines.
Which was a pity, as she liked oranges and chocolate in particular
(especially in combination!).

However, not long after she passed 60, it stopped! She's (65 now I
think) not had any "heads" for at least two years.

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an empty
desk mean ?
Penny
2017-10-06 14:36:24 UTC
On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 14:02:43 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I can't cope with much above 70% or migraines occur. I do sometimes buy
Lidl's lower cocoa offerings but from the rate at which I demolish them I
suspect they have too much sugar to prevent the must-have-more reflex.
alcohol, cheese, oranges (except, she thought, satsumas), and chocolate;
if she had more than a small amount of any of these, she got migraines.
Which was a pity, as she liked oranges and chocolate in particular
(especially in combination!).
However, not long after she passed 60, it stopped! She's (65 now I
think) not had any "heads" for at least two years.
Sadly not the case with me (yet).
Orange is certainly a trigger - I first realised it was migraine when on
holiday and drinking a small glass of orange juice for breakfast three days
running left me virtually blind for several hours on that third day - not
fun when in sole charge of two children :(
But I eat marmalade every day quite happily and regard this as a
'normalising' or 'tolerance' therapy so I don't get blinded by someone
peeling an orange in the same room.

I have avoided red wine completely for years and now get an almost instant
'head' if I just sniff some or kiss someone who has been drinking it. Great
shame, I like red wine. Similar effects with coffee.
Other alcohol seems to be fine but I don't drink much these days.

Some smells (perfumes) bother me and in bright sunlight I need a hat as
well as my photochromic specs.

I've never had a problem with cheese.
2017-10-06 15:57:02 UTC
However, not long after she passed 60, it stopped! She's (65 now I
think) not had any "heads" for at least two years.
After I was diagnosed and treated for diabetes the frequency and
severity of my headaches (few I would say were ever real migraines; I
recall one from being about 22/3 when I felt hitting my head against the
adjacent brick wall would hurt less) reduced - they had got less over
the years but I remember suffering from maybe 10 onwards.

At one point it was clear that a combination of cheese, red wine and
chocolate (the end of a good evening's dining) would bring one on - but
the sort which came out of nowhere were rarer. I remember a couple at
work when I went off to the rest room and laid down for a few hours
until the tablets took effect.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-10-07 06:21:07 UTC
[...]
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
2017-10-07 08:32:24 UTC
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
2017-10-07 08:42:19 UTC
On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 09:32:24 +0100, Fenny
Post by Fenny
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Whatever problem you have, weight, eyesight, an illness, people do
suggest remedies, often things you know about that don't apply to you.
It can get irritating but they mean well. I think when people hear a
problem one natural response is to try and think of a remedy.
2017-10-07 10:28:49 UTC
Post by Fenny
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Whatever problem you have, weight, eyesight, an illness, people do
suggest remedies, often things you know about that don't apply to you.
It can get irritating but they mean well. I think when people hear a
problem one natural response is to try and think of a remedy.
And at that stage, if they have any sensitivity, they should keep it to
themselves unless requested to share. It is similar to someone insisting on
relating a sporting event - even when they know (or at least have been
informed many times) that their audience has no interest whatsoever in the
sport.
2017-10-07 12:10:59 UTC
On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 10:28:49 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Fenny
[...]
You mean I should shut up?
2017-10-07 12:34:33 UTC
On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 09:42:19 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Whatever problem you have, weight, eyesight, an illness, people do
suggest remedies, often things you know about that don't apply to you.
It can get irritating but they mean well. I think when people hear a
problem one natural response is to try and think of a remedy.
A friend mentioning she'd suffered headaches every day until she gave up
coffee was a light bulb moment for me and changed my life. I'd had
investigations into my headaches as a teenager which failed to find a
solution. I took mucron all the time because it helped (real ephedrine in
those days). Giving up coffee was the answer.
2017-10-07 15:22:02 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Whatever problem you have, weight, eyesight, an illness, people do
suggest remedies, often things you know about that don't apply to you.
It can get irritating but they mean well. I think when people hear a
problem one natural response is to try and think of a remedy.
A friend mentioning she'd suffered headaches every day until she gave up
coffee was a light bulb moment for me and changed my life. I'd had
investigations into my headaches as a teenager which failed to find a
solution. I took mucron all the time because it helped (real ephedrine in
those days). Giving up coffee was the answer.
My SoL not only gave up coffee, but tea also. She just sticks to hot
water {1} now and woe betide anyone who uses her cup for tea or coffee :)

{1} a difficult trick...
Mike
2017-10-07 15:33:22 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Whatever problem you have, weight, eyesight, an illness, people do
suggest remedies, often things you know about that don't apply to you.
It can get irritating but they mean well. I think when people hear a
problem one natural response is to try and think of a remedy.
A friend mentioning she'd suffered headaches every day until she gave up
coffee was a light bulb moment for me and changed my life. I'd had
investigations into my headaches as a teenager which failed to find a
solution. I took mucron all the time because it helped (real ephedrine in
those days). Giving up coffee was the answer.
My SoL not only gave up coffee, but tea also. She just sticks to hot
water {1} now and woe betide anyone who uses her cup for tea or coffee :)
{1} a difficult trick...
Just stir in some flour.... that’ll do it. You can use it as wallpaper
paste if you do it well.
2017-10-07 10:08:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
The very first migraine I had was at work and triggered (I think) by stress
and tiredness. It was terrifying because I thought I was going blind, but
the optician later told me it was a migraine. They don’t happen very often
but they aren’t triggered by wine or anything like that. Now I know what it
is I know what to do!
2017-10-07 10:22:23 UTC
The very first migraine I had was at work and triggered (I think) by stress
and tiredness.
I only suffered what I believe to be migraines for a very limited period
when I absolutely hated my job and was completely stressed out by it.

Thankfully those days are long gone.
Fenny
2017-10-07 22:43:23 UTC
On 7 Oct 2017 10:08:26 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Fenny
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
The very first migraine I had was at work and triggered (I think) by stress
and tiredness. It was terrifying because I thought I was going blind, but
the optician later told me it was a migraine. They don’t happen very often
but they aren’t triggered by wine or anything like that. Now I know what it
is I know what to do!
I had one this morning. Unless it was triggered by porridge or a
McDeadthings burger & chips, it was probably just down to stress and
tiredness. Fortunately, my latest medication seems to work well if I
can take it early enough. Even more fortunately, I decided last night
to stick the medication in my coat pocket, so I had it with me and all
was much improved after about 30 minutes.
2017-10-08 17:02:10 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Fenny
[...]
I can understand people who won't use the place calling it McDeadthings
or, like the way words one uses to describe other people constantly
slide from acceptable into unacceptable and back again, has it now
become a term of endearment?

2017-10-07 11:25:58 UTC
Post by Fenny
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Luckily I don't really have actual migraines, though over the
years have noted that I do tend to get headaches if I have too
much cheese, or chocolate. Unpredictable reaction to alcohol was
one of the reasons I went TT many years ago.

One Friday evening on getting home felt a little under the
weather, didn't fancy my then regular mug of coffee, and instead
made a mug of marmite. I enjoyed it so much that I had another.

The following day I had what was for me a severe headache, and I
wasn't really up to much until 24 hours later. Only afterwards
when I discovered that Marmite is also a potential trigger was I
able to understand what had happened.

There is also a strange phenomenon known as "aura without pain",
which I experience maybe a few times a year, usually starting as
a shimmering disturbance in the centre of the visual field,
slowly spreading outwards as a wavy circle and vanishing after a
few minutes, with no after-effects. I have not identified any
triggers for this.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-10-07 12:14:51 UTC
On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 12:25:58 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
There is also a strange phenomenon known as "aura without pain",
which I experience maybe a few times a year, usually starting as
a shimmering disturbance in the centre of the visual field,
slowly spreading outwards as a wavy circle and vanishing after a
few minutes, with no after-effects. I have not identified any
triggers for this.
I've never had that - I often get pain without aura, or the blind-spot in
the middle. It was a GP who told me the headaches were migraine some years
before my first aura.
Mike Ruddock
2017-10-07 16:35:57 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
[...]
Chris
I get those too. My migraines are very irregular and I often go for
weeks, months even, with out problems. Then I will get one and it will
be followed by another, occasionally the same day and I am then in for
ten days or so of daily (or near-daily) migraines. The auras are
interesting: they come as a blind spot in the centre of vision and this
is followed by a very small area of zig-zag lines looking like a
demented bar-code, which enlarges on one side of the centre of vision
and spreads out until it disappears off the edge of vision. The next
time I get an aura it will enlarge towards the other side of the centre
of vision.

I'm sure most of you are not in the least interested in all this
migraine talk, but be thankful you don't have to suffer the headaches
because they are vile.

Mike Ruddock
Kate B
2017-10-07 22:07:59 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
[...]
These are similar to mine, though I normally just get one, or two on
consecutive days which mirror each other. The zigzags are fascinating,
like a kaleidoscope - one of those prismatic ones that distorts what you
see, glittering. I am lucky in that I tend to feel a bit spaced-out but
rarely get much of a headache after them, though once or twice I have
been working (and once driving, which was scary) and have had to work
round them. Like Mike and Chris, there's no obvious trigger.

Hildegard of Bingen had this sort of aura (they think). Being Hildegard,
she saw in the zigzags the walls of the celestial Jerusalem, peopled
with angels, and then composed them in music. There's something to aim
for....
2017-10-08 13:53:59 UTC
On 07/10/2017 17:35, Mike Ruddock wrote; my response is lower down:

Much snippage
Post by Mike Ruddock
I'm sure most of you are not in the least interested in all this
migraine talk, but be thankful you don't have to suffer the headaches
because they are vile.
Mike Ruddock
All of which I think goes to prove that most of the time I did not have
a migraine.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-08 15:27:47 UTC
Much snippage
Post by Mike Ruddock
I'm sure most of you are not in the least interested in all this
migraine talk, but be thankful you don't have to suffer the headaches
because they are vile.
Mike Ruddock
All of which I think goes to prove that most of the time I did not have
a migraine.
I've never been _sure_ what a migraine is, but I have always assumed
it's a bit like the pain you get if you eat ice cream too fast. That's
what I used to get (though not quite as strong) when dehydrated. (I've
never knowingly had a hangover, but I believe that is basically
dehydration too.)

"There are a great many people in the country today who, through no fault of
their own, are sane." - Monty Python's Flying Circus
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-10-07 20:25:28 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Luckily I don't really have actual migraines, though over the
years have noted that I do tend to get headaches if I have too
much cheese, or chocolate. Unpredictable reaction to alcohol was
one of the reasons I went TT many years ago.
[]
(Interesting that cheese and chocolate seem to be common factors between
at least Fenny and my blind friend.)

I rarely get headaches. The one situation I did often was on the
occasional days out in London I used to take: I was mentioning this to
the wife of a friend, who asked if I'd had anything before going in,
which I hadn't (I'm neither a morning nor a breakfast person); she said
"you're dehydrated!". And sure enough she was right; making sure I had
something to drink - even water - before going in, and I didn't get them
any more. I can't remember being particularly thirsty, but I may have
just not noticed. (I used to have the odd day in town when I lived in
Essex, usually a wander round Tottenham Court Road - electronics and
computer central - then a film [Leicester square area] in the evening.
I'm further away now, but mainly, TCR is a sad shadow of its former self
in that respect - I'd say more coffee shops than anything else now.)

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.
LFS
2017-10-07 21:30:01 UTC
I rarely get headaches. The one situation I did often was on the
occasional days out in London I used to take: I was mentioning this to
the wife of a friend, who asked if I'd had anything before going in,
which I hadn't (I'm neither a morning nor a breakfast person); she said
"you're dehydrated!". And sure enough she was right; making sure I had
something to drink - even water - before going in, and I didn't get them
any more. I can't remember being particularly thirsty, but I may have
just not noticed.
I very rarely feel thirsty but I have learned that most of the symptoms
of my chronic ailments get worse if I don't drink enough so I try to
remind myself. I don't think i've ever managed the recommended amount,
though.

I was once worried that Son seemed to be drinking a great deal and,
fearing diabetes, took him to our GP. He asked Son how much he drank in
a day. Then asked me how much I drank in a day. He pronounced Son fine
and told me I was drinking far too little.
2017-10-07 22:46:20 UTC
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 21:25:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Luckily I don't really have actual migraines, though over the
years have noted that I do tend to get headaches if I have too
much cheese, or chocolate. Unpredictable reaction to alcohol was
one of the reasons I went TT many years ago.
[]
(Interesting that cheese and chocolate seem to be common factors between
at least Fenny and my blind friend.)
No, I specifically said mine are not cheese or any food related items.
2017-10-07 22:57:28 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Fenny
It's really quite irritating to be told what "the" triggers for
migraines are. Mine are not coffee, wine, cheese etc. Bright
flashing lights can be a trigger, but not immediately. I don't have a
specific trigger, but being tired can lead to them indirectly.
Luckily I don't really have actual migraines, though over the
years have noted that I do tend to get headaches if I have too
much cheese, or chocolate. Unpredictable reaction to alcohol was
one of the reasons I went TT many years ago.
[]
(Interesting that cheese and chocolate seem to be common factors between
at least Fenny and my blind friend.)
No, I specifically said mine are not cheese or any food related items.
Sorry, _someone_ - quoted above - mentioned them. I must have miscounted
the chevrons.

The thing about smut is it harms no one and it's rarely cruel. Besides, it's a
gleeful rejection of the dreary and the "correct".
- Alison Graham, RT 2014/10/25-31
Vicky
2017-10-08 08:42:58 UTC
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 23:57:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I must have miscounted
the chevrons.
You need 7 to engage.
2017-10-08 09:25:06 UTC
Post by Vicky
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 23:57:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I must have miscounted
the chevrons.
You need 7 to engage.
StarTrek/Babylon5/Stargate/etc. reference? Renault handbook? no - sorry
(-:

As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep
an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the
soul from desiccation. - Humphrey Lyttelton quoted by Barry Cryer in Radio
Times 10-16 November 2012
Vicky
2017-10-08 10:27:02 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I must have miscounted
the chevrons.
You need 7 to engage.
StarTrek/Babylon5/Stargate/etc. reference? Renault handbook? no - sorry
I got it wrong :(. Not engage, encoded.

I hope I don't lose my geek card for this.
2017-10-08 21:10:32 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I must have miscounted
the chevrons.
You need 7 to engage.
StarTrek/Babylon5/Stargate/etc. reference? Renault handbook? no - sorry
I got it wrong :(. Not engage, encoded.
http://youtu.be/5D_zC0dS3pA
I hope I don't lose my geek card for this.
Chevron seven locks.

But if you're in another galaxy, you need 8 chevrons. Or 9 if you're
on the Destiny!
2017-10-07 12:09:27 UTC
On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 06:21:07 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
< my migraine triggers snipped>
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
I find most of them easy to avoid though d#1 did complain one time when I
got up to leave the room because she was about to peel a clementine. She
felt affronted because three people at the table were smoking...
2017-10-07 12:52:47 UTC
< my migraine triggers snipped>
Crikey! This must be very tiresome. On the face of it there doesn’t
appear any common denominator; though sufferers may know differently?
I find most of them easy to avoid though d#1 did complain one time when I
got up to leave the room because she was about to peel a clementine. She
felt affronted because three people at the table were smoking...
I feel that smoking should be confined to times when consenting friends
remove themselves to an airtight enclosure whilst they perform such
activities.
2017-10-07 16:53:05 UTC
I feel that smoking should be confined to times when consenting friends
remove themselves to an airtight enclosure whilst they perform such
activities.
Really annoying is people smoking on the street when you have to
follow them along the road and get a lung full of smoke while out for
fresh air (loaded with petrol fumes)
p***@never.here
2017-10-06 12:03:33 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Speaking of chocolate, I did some research on Tuesday and umrats who
said dark chocolate is more satisfying and you can have less of it are
right. I do like it and will eat most chocolate, but not the health
shop substitute, but often went for CDM and lots of it when bingeing.
Too much sugar in CDM which makes you more inclined to binge on it.
Not only sugar but in this country Cadburys include Palm oil as well
which if the claims on this FB page are accurate has a deadly effect
on orangutans by destroying their habitat..

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/cadbury+uk+palm+oil/keywords_search
Pete
Btms
2017-10-05 12:21:45 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world?s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
"I?m delighted to be joining the ITV drama team at such an exciting time.
ITV has always been at the forefront of TV drama and I?m thrilled to be
getting the chance to work on Coronation Street and Emmerdale,
Shirley as a commissioner, he won't be working on existing dramas?
We could perhaps offer him sonething?
Youy mean crowdfund a bribe to get him to drop out and let you do it?
Have we still got the remains of whatever fund we collected last time?
Some foreign coins wasn't it?
No. I was thinking of combined umratic creativity.
2017-10-04 20:42:26 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Getting someone who knows the difference between radio and tv might be
a good idea. Someone who has worked in radio maybe?
2017-10-04 21:03:40 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
It has been announced today that Huw Kennair-Jones will step down as editor
of The Archers. He leaves the world’s longest-running soap to join ITV as a
drama commissioner.
<snip>
Post by Fenny
Post by Sally Thompson
Recruitment for Kennair-Jones’ replacement will begin shortly.
(There are apparently comments to the effect of not recruiting someone who
has worked on East Enders, and not bringing back SOC).
Getting someone who knows the difference between radio and tv might be
a good idea. Someone who has worked in radio maybe?
Now be realistic!