spoiler Monday 19/6/17
Vicky
2017-06-20 21:47:36 UTC

Didn't Juston overreact a bit to Tom's attempt to bargain? I thought
he was unprofessional. He had a hissy fit. It was surely reasonable to
attempt to check the market value of the land, not take Justin's word
for it. Surely any land agent and/or lawyer would be able to tell Tom?
And shouldn't they be involved anyway, not just word of mouth and
handshake where the whole thing sounds very like a con. And isn't
Lilian overdoing the support of Justin in view of the fact it is her
brother he might be trying to con?

I wonder if Tom really has had interest from other parties or just
doesn't want to admit the tip came from Matt. And why doesn't he want
to tell the family about it?

It sounded a bit odd for Jill to be glad that Pip moving out made
more room at Brookfield. And it was hardly a step away from family and
into independent living.
Vicky
krw
2017-06-20 22:54:34 UTC
Post by Vicky
Didn't Juston overreact a bit to Tom's attempt to bargain?
Yes - but then as far as I can tell Justin is an appalling business man
and I credit Miranda with the success he has achieved. He only managed
to buy BL because he did it illegally. He closed the cow unit down
without reference to the BL Board who stood to lose a lot of money. He
only came to the village to turn it into a service station and he
offered far too much money for Brookfield. On top of that he concluded
a deal for sale of land to the Chairman of BL in his private role as
owner of Home Farm. Did none of the other directors consider that to be
dodgy?

I thought
Post by Vicky
he was unprofessional. He had a hissy fit. It was surely reasonable to
attempt to check the market value of the land, not take Justin's word
for it. Surely any land agent and/or lawyer would be able to tell Tom?
I have bought and sold bits of land for business over the years and more
recently entered into leases. On not on a single one of those was any
action taken without a report from an estate agent sort of person
confirming that this was the right value. And the counter party would
be similarly equipped; rarely direct negotiations with the counter party
because I wanted to be able to prove to more senior management that I
was recommending the right deal.
Post by Vicky
And shouldn't they be involved anyway, not just word of mouth and
handshake where the whole thing sounds very like a con. And isn't
Lilian overdoing the support of Justin in view of the fact it is her
brother he might be trying to con?
Well quite.
Post by Vicky
I wonder if Tom really has had interest from other parties or just
doesn't want to admit the tip came from Matt. And why doesn't he want
to tell the family about it?
Who knows? Either way Rodway and Watson work for the Estate unless they
have been replaced (as Chairman of BL) and so another estate agent is
needed.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
carolet
2017-06-21 12:57:52 UTC
Post by Vicky
he was unprofessional. He had a hissy fit. It was surely reasonable to
attempt to check the market value of the land, not take Justin's word
for it. Surely any land agent and/or lawyer would be able to tell Tom?
I have bought and sold bits of land for business over the years and more
recently entered into leases. On not on a single one of those was any
action taken without a report from an estate agent sort of person
confirming that this was the right value. And the counter party would
be similarly equipped; rarely direct negotiations with the counter party
because I wanted to be able to prove to more senior management that I
was recommending the right deal.
When Justin first spoke to Pat and Tony about buying the land, on the
30th May, part of the conversation went like this:

Justin: N... I'm not talking about the whole field.
Pat: Aren't you?
Justin: No, no. What I have in mind would only require about
three-and-a-half acres.
Pat: Right.
Tony: The answer is still no!
Pat: We... Just out of interest, how much would you be prepared to pay
for three-and-a-half acres?
Justin: Weeeell, I'd have to get a proper valuation done, but by my
reckoning it could be around the .. million mark.
Pat: A million pounds!
Tony: Surely not!
Justin: I can tell you that a plot of land that size, with planning
permission, is worth that kind of money.
Tony: With planning permission!
justin: Which I'm sure won't be a problem. The district council is only
too well aware of the desparate need for new housing, and it is in line
with the local plan.
Tony: A million pounds?
Justin: Just think what that could do for your business, your family. It
will give you all a secure future. Most farmers would jump at the chance.
Pat: I .. I think we need time to think about this, Justin.
Justin: Of course.

To me, that doesn't sound like the million pounds, or the precise
acreage, was set in stone, that it was something to be discussed between
Justin, The Bridge Farm family and professional valuers, estate agents,
or whatever. If the value of the land really is more like the figure
suggested by Matt, then I reckon that Justin could have been persuaded
of that.
CaroleT
krw
2017-06-21 15:11:30 UTC
Post by carolet
To me, that doesn't sound like the million pounds, or the precise
acreage, was set in stone, that it was something to be discussed between
Justin, The Bridge Farm family and professional valuers, estate agents,
or whatever. If the value of the land really is more like the figure
suggested by Matt, then I reckon that Justin could have been persuaded
of that.
Entirely fair representation snipped. So why was the precise site not
discussed? TA never usually discusses precise values although in recent
times they have been mentioned.

Poor editing to my mind.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-06-23 10:57:40 UTC
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
[...]
Thanks for that, that confirms my memory of the conversation. Agreeing
to Justin's offer should have been the starting point for negotiations,
not the end point.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What can you make that cannot be seen?
A. A noise.
Marjorie
2017-06-23 12:22:00 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by carolet
Post by Vicky
[...]
Agreed. All they had discussed was selling an undefined area of land for
a vague amount in the region of a million. That was not a "deal" - even
if you were buying a second-hand car, you'd want to be sure of its
mileage, age, etc, agree exactly how much you were paying for it, and
see its paperwork before there was a "deal".
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Vicky
2017-06-23 12:33:08 UTC
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:22:00 +0100, Marjorie
Post by Marjorie
Post by Vicky
Didn't Juston overreact a bit to Tom's attempt to bargain?
Agreed. All they had discussed was selling an undefined area of land for
a vague amount in the region of a million. That was not a "deal" - even
if you were buying a second-hand car, you'd want to be sure of its
mileage, age, etc, agree exactly how much you were paying for it, and
see its paperwork before there was a "deal".
I have been reading the Radio Times spoilers and Carolet's too

The apparently outcome really annoyed me. Tom finds the other buyers
drop out of want too much land and goes back to Justin who drops the
price by several k which is being petulant and doing down his
beloved's brother's family. And I don't like Justin anyway. And Tom
then says it was Matt who advised him and Lilian says it was to get at
Justin. I do hope Matt was right and another buyer appears or the deal
goes flat.
Vicky
Sally Thompson
2017-06-23 12:46:24 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Vicky
[...]
That wasn't quite how it played out if you listened. Lilian thought it was
to get at her (ie her family), not Justin. I wouldn't have said that Justin
was being petulant, but he was angry and possibly teaching Tom a lesson.
And as for Matt getting at Justin, the only change for Justin is that he
has a deal for a lower price so it hardly does him harm.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
krw
2017-06-23 13:24:03 UTC
On 23/06/2017 13:33, Vicky wrote; my response is lower down:

Post by Vicky
The apparently outcome really annoyed me. Tom finds the other buyers
drop out of want too much land and goes back to Justin who drops the
price by several k which is being petulant and doing down his
beloved's brother's family. And I don't like Justin anyway. And Tom
then says it was Matt who advised him and Lilian says it was to get at
Justin. I do hope Matt was right and another buyer appears or the deal
goes flat.
Of course what we know and Tom does not is that Justin is actually
planning the same super large development as the guys who turned him
down - but Justin already has the woodland which is adjacent and Lilian
does not know who owns it. Wait until Tom finds out that Justin needed
the access via Bridge Farm for much less than such a ransom area would
really be worth!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike Ruddock
2017-06-23 14:28:55 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
The apparently outcome really annoyed me. Tom finds the other buyers
drop out of want too much land and goes back to Justin who drops the
price by several k which is being petulant and doing down his
beloved's brother's family. And I don't like Justin anyway. And Tom
then says it was Matt who advised him and Lilian says it was to get at
Justin. I do hope Matt was right and another buyer appears or the deal
goes flat.
Of course what we know and Tom does not is that Justin is actually
planning the same super large development as the guys who turned him
down - but Justin already has the woodland which is adjacent and Lilian
does not know who owns it. Wait until Tom finds out that Justin needed
the access via Bridge Farm for much less than such a ransom area would
really be worth!
I'm sorry . . . do we know this?

Mike Ruddock
krw
2017-06-23 15:46:34 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
The apparently outcome really annoyed me. Tom finds the other buyers
drop out of want too much land and goes back to Justin who drops the
price by several k which is being petulant and doing down his
beloved's brother's family. And I don't like Justin anyway. And Tom
then says it was Matt who advised him and Lilian says it was to get at
Justin. I do hope Matt was right and another buyer appears or the deal
goes flat.
Of course what we know and Tom does not is that Justin is actually
planning the same super large development as the guys who turned him
down - but Justin already has the woodland which is adjacent and Lilian
does not know who owns it. Wait until Tom finds out that Justin needed
the access via Bridge Farm for much less than such a ransom area would
really be worth!
I'm sorry . . . do we know this?
Yes. Lilian and Justin were out riding alongside the edge of Bridge
Farm land and Lilian said that she did not know who owned the adjacent
woodland on the one side and Bridge Farm was on the other side all the
way down to the lane.

Justin needs a big win to fill the hole Miranda has excavated and has
been spending large chunks of time with his planners. Theoretically on
the pig pen. Peg pens are simple. Putting together a 100 house
development plan and making sure it will get past the planners quickly
takes a lot of work.

The clues are all there ...
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-06-23 17:39:00 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Hmm? Will the sewage system etc sustain such a development?
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
2017-06-23 17:44:51 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
When the pipework is assessed and inspected, certain bodily remains will be
discovered...
Toodle Pip
Btms
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Sam Plusnet
2017-06-23 19:26:36 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Mike
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Post by Vicky
[...]
Perhaps the Ambridge Hob Hound will be regarded as a protected species &
the development will thus be thwarted.
--
Sam