Advice please - email address
2018-03-20 07:30:11 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please. Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in June,
so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went on-line over
20 years ago will cease to be valid.

Nugger.

I already have a Gmail address for my real-life stuff and a Hotmail
address for Nuncius related items, both of which forward to Tesco
addresses which I read on Thunderbird. I would welcome umratic views on
the following:

1. Is there any possible snag to simply defaulting to these two
addresses by setting up Thunderbird accounts for them and then letting
people know of the new addresses? Would umrats advise having a separate
account and still forwarding to it (e.g. with Plusnet, who are my
current ISP)?

2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email address,
which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why. Is it worth
it for email only, would you say? What are the advantages? Is it
expensive or complicated etc? Can you recommend a good site to do this?

3. Is there an easy way of changing the logins to all the boodly sites
I'm registered with (I use Firefox), or will I have to remember every
single one of them and then do each one individually? <shudder> (I
suspect I know the answer.)

Any advice/experience would be very welcome. Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
2018-03-20 08:31:01 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in June,
so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went on-line over
20 years ago will cease to be valid.
Nugger.
Wot 'e sed.

Sorry to hear this Sid. It's never happened to me fortunately - when I
left TI in 1994 (internal email address was simply "rgt", which I guess
I started using sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's, became
"***@ti.com" when we started emailing externally) I created a Demon
account but I switched to gmail almost as soon as that became available
and have used that ever since. The oldest of my stored 9K+ emails is
25/10/2004 !

I can't imagine the hassle it would cause if I had to change that now,
but does the login email address have to be valid for every account ?
You will certainly need to update the account to show whatever new email
address you decide to use so that they can contact you if you forget
your password or something, but it could be that the login remains
unchanged as it's not verified when you log in - worth a look anyway...

Chrome keeps all your login details including logon id and psw under the
advanced settings and I sometimes need to go and lookup a psw there if
for example I need to access something for the first time on my phone or
tablet. Not sure how that would help, but I imagine Firefox has
something similar.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-20 16:23:22 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
Sorry to hear this Sid. It's never happened to me fortunately - when I
left TI in 1994 (internal email address was simply "rgt", which I guess
I started using sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's, became
account but I switched to gmail almost as soon as that became available
and have used that ever since. The oldest of my stored 9K+ emails is
25/10/2004 !
I think the oldest I have _kept_ to my old Demon address is 1995-2-10
... can't say how many, as I have them subdivided into folders.
Post by BrritSki
I can't imagine the hassle it would cause if I had to change that now,
but does the login email address have to be valid for every account ?
Not if it's only used _as_ the login, no. If you agreed (as you probably
did on signup) that you'd accept emails to that address, you could
potentially be liable: if for example they decided to start charging for
whatever service you're using, and send an email to that effect to the
no-longer-valid address, you could be in it - though I can't imagine
many companies doing that without having first obtained your card
number. (If they _have_ got your card number, though ...)
Post by BrritSki
You will certainly need to update the account to show whatever new
email address you decide to use so that they can contact you if you
forget your password or something, but it could be that the login
remains unchanged as it's not verified when you log in - worth a look
anyway...
Chrome keeps all your login details including logon id and psw under
the advanced settings and I sometimes need to go and lookup a psw there
if for example I need to access something for the first time on my
phone or tablet. Not sure how that would help, but I imagine Firefox
has something similar.
Yes, Firefox indeed does. (I also use the firefox add-on that lets me
retrieve the list in one click [Saved Password Editor], one that saves
passwords even for sites that don't normally let you [Remember
Passwords], and one that fills in things like name and address [Autofill
Forms].)

Note that - as someone has already pointed out - storing passwords in
browsers is a theoretical security hole. (So far, AFAIK I've not been
hacked. I don't bank online, but I do buy.)

Ask not for whom the bell tolls; let the machine get it
Kate B
2018-03-20 16:42:43 UTC
Note that - as someone has already pointed out - storing passwords in
browsers is a theoretical security hole. (So far, AFAIK I've not been
hacked. I don't bank online, but I do buy.)
All banks now have 2-step authentication or only use selected letters of
a password, so a browser will never have enough information available
for a hacker to use.

I'm interested in LastPass, but didn't they have a security scare too
not so long ago?
the Omrud
2018-03-20 17:08:06 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Note that - as someone has already pointed out - storing passwords in
browsers is a theoretical security hole. (So far, AFAIK I've not been
hacked. I don't bank online, but I do buy.)
All banks now have 2-step authentication or only use selected letters of
a password, so a browser will never have enough information available
for a hacker to use.
The browser can't store the password for those sites, because it's never
entered in full. But the point remains for any basic username/password
login.

FWIW, I have heavily locked down all the "important" systems with 2FA,
Geographical Blocking and notifications of new logins (from previously
unknown browsers or devices). To the extent that it sometimes takes me
a little effort to make a new connection myself, which is good. That's
Google, Facebook, Amazon, mostly.
Post by Kate B
I'm interested in LastPass, but didn't they have a security scare too
not so long ago?
There was, but no data was actually compromised. If it worries you,
look at 1Password or Dashlane - there are comparisons online.

Another thing - if you want to use a 2FA One-Time-Password generator
app, consider standardising on Authy, which I make significant use of.
It allows you to synchronise your OTPs between devices, and eliminates
the problems caused when you have to install a new Authenticator app,
e.g. when you get a new phone. It's theoretically very slightly less
secure because of that, but the trade-off is well worth it.
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-20 17:20:02 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Note that - as someone has already pointed out - storing passwords
in browsers is a theoretical security hole. (So far, AFAIK I've not
been hacked. I don't bank online, but I do buy.)
All banks now have 2-step authentication or only use selected letters
of a password, so a browser will never have enough information
available for a hacker to use.
Harrumph. The "only use selected letters" bit can be reduced in
effectiveness, as it is by SSE: I get, usually in the same envelope, a
gas and electricity bill. I go online to pay them, but have to go
through the whole process - including the two letters from the password
- for each one (and of course they're not always the same two letters).
I've pointed out to SSE the resultant reduction in security this
involves (as well of course as the tediousness of having to pay them
separately at all), but they obviously aren't interested.

Who were your favourite TV stars or shows when you were a child? Sadly they've
all been arrested ... Ian Hislop, in Radio Times 28 September-4 October 2013
krw
2018-03-20 08:44:31 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in June,
so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went on-line over
20 years ago will cease to be valid.
I and wofe have live email addresses with said company - and had no
notification of closure.
2018-03-20 10:54:37 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in
June, so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went
on-line over 20 years ago will cease to be valid.
I and wofe have live email addresses with said company - and had no
notification of closure.
Sorry, KRW, but I've just phoned tham and it's genuine. They're closing
the service on June 27, with optional forwarding until October 10.

Nuggrissimo.
2018-03-20 11:17:34 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.
Tesco have just let me know that they are closing their email servers
in June, so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went
on-line over 20 years ago will cease to be valid.
I and wofe have live email addresses with said company - and had no
notification of closure.
Sorry, KRW, but I've just phoned tham and it's genuine.  They're closing
the service on June 27, with optional forwarding until October 10.
Nuggrissimo.
I feel your pain - we have still had no notification.
2018-03-20 12:17:39 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.
Tesco have just let me know that they are closing their email
servers in June, so the email addresses I've had and used since I
first went on-line over 20 years ago will cease to be valid.
I and wofe have live email addresses with said company - and had no
notification of closure.
Sorry, KRW, but I've just phoned tham and it's genuine.  They're
closing the service on June 27, with optional forwarding until October
10.
Nuggrissimo.
I feel your pain - we have still had no notification.
I assume they're doing the same as Justthename (the domain host I used
to use) did, when they announced they were going to close, and are
notifying people in batches. I assume this is to avoid swamping their
customer services bods with anxious questions and complaints. With
Justthename, I originally heard from a friend who had been notified and
wanted some advice on what to do about it. It was only several weeks
later that I got my official notification.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast. (Anon)
krw
2018-03-20 12:32:13 UTC
[...]
Have now configured a mailbox for wofe to use. I honestly do not think
she has ever had any other email address.
2018-03-21 12:38:02 UTC
[...]
With a surname starting with W, you surely don't expect to be told
anything first.
2018-03-21 13:19:35 UTC
With a surname starting with W, you surely don't expect to be told
anything first.
It was nice on holiday when the handing out of rooms was undertaken in
reverse alpha order one night!
2018-03-20 08:49:36 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in June,
so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went on-line over
20 years ago will cease to be valid.
Also I can find no online announcement of any closure nor anything on
the Tesco email help pages.
2018-03-20 08:56:14 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in June,
so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went on-line over
20 years ago will cease to be valid.
Nugger.
As you say!
I already have a Gmail address for my real-life stuff and a Hotmail
address for Nuncius related items, both of which forward to Tesco
addresses which I read on Thunderbird.  I would welcome umratic views on
1. Is there any possible snag to simply defaulting to these two
addresses by setting up Thunderbird accounts for them and then letting
people know of the new addresses?  Would umrats advise having a separate
account and still forwarding to it (e.g. with Plusnet, who are my
current ISP)?
No, That's what I do with my various email accounts. It works well. It
has the added advantage that you will still receive email, even if your
prime email supplier (the one you're forwarding stuff to) is down.
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email address,
which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why.  Is it worth
it for email only, would you say?  What are the advantages?  Is it
expensive or complicated etc?  Can you recommend a good site to do this?
I think so. Again, this is what I do. One of the big advantages is
that it gives you some protection from the problem you currently have.
It becomes relatively easy to switch email provider, if/when you need
to, without changing your email address. You can also change domain
host without affecting your address.

It's neither expensive or complicated. My domain is currently hosted
with <https://www.daily.co.uk/>, who seem fine and currently charge
£6.24 pa for a .co.uk or .me.uk domain.
3. Is there an easy way of changing the logins to all the boodly sites
I'm registered with (I use Firefox), or will I have to remember every
single one of them and then do each one individually?  <shudder>  (I
suspect I know the answer.)
Not that I know of. There are probably only a relatively small number
which you really need to change immediately (those that you actually
want to receive routine emails from). Others can be changed as and when
you use them and, for some, you may be happy for them to only have an
old address.

For what it's worth, I use LastPass (<https://www.lastpass.com>) to
manage my logins and passwords. That won't help with doing a mass
change of logins but it does help with remembering them all!
Any advice/experience would be very welcome.  Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
Good luck!
Q. What does the ocean say when it meets the coast?
A. Nothing it just waves!
the Omrud
2018-03-20 09:14:08 UTC
[...]
I own several personal domains, but I have resisted using them in real
life. If I were to be incapacitated or I died, my family would have no
idea about how to renew them, nor to make sure that mails were
forwarded. There's no point my explaining it to them now for something
which might happen in 15 years.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
3. Is there an easy way of changing the logins to all the boodly sites
I'm registered with (I use Firefox), or will I have to remember every
single one of them and then do each one individually?  <shudder>  (I
suspect I know the answer.)
It doesn't matter too much if you don't change the addresses
immediately, as long as you still know the passwords. It's only when
you forget the password for a site that you have problems as the reset
code will most likely be emailed.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Not that I know of.  There are probably only a relatively small number
which you really need to change immediately (those that you actually
want to receive routine emails from).  Others can be changed as and when
you use them and, for some, you may be happy for them to only have an
old address.
For what it's worth, I use LastPass (<https://www.lastpass.com>) to
manage my logins and passwords.  That won't help with doing a mass
change of logins but it does help with remembering them all!
Strongly seconded. It does help, slightly, as you can search the
"Vault" for your old email address to find out which ones still need to
be changed.

WARNING TO ALL: DO NOT allow any browser to remember your passwords.
The encryption is trivially easy to break. The same goes for ZIP file
encryption.
David
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-20 10:15:11 UTC
For what it's worth, I use LastPass (<https://www.lastpass.com>) to
manage my logins and passwords.  That won't help with doing a mass
change of logins but it does help with remembering them all!
Strongly seconded.  It does help, slightly, as you can search the
"Vault" for your old email address to find out which ones still need to
be changed.
It doesn't surprise me that you seconded that, as it was largely through
your recommendation that I signed up to it in the first place. Thanks
for that :)
Customer: Excuse me, waiter, do you know what kind of bird this is?
Waiter: It's a wood pigeon, Sir.
Customer: I thought so - bring me a saw.
the Omrud
David
Sid Nuncius
2018-03-20 10:51:43 UTC
I already have a Gmail address for my real-life stuff and a Hotmail
address for Nuncius related items, both of which forward to Tesco
addresses which I read on Thunderbird.  I would welcome umratic views
1. Is there any possible snag to simply defaulting to these two
addresses by setting up Thunderbird accounts for them and then letting
people know of the new addresses?  Would umrats advise having a
separate account and still forwarding to it (e.g. with Plusnet, who
are my current ISP)?
No, That's what I do with my various email accounts.  It works well.  It
has the added advantage that you will still receive email, even if your
prime email supplier (the one you're forwarding stuff to) is down.
Thanks, Serena - and everyone else! I've filed all the responses and
will keep them for reference. Any more would still be welcome; I need
all the help I can get!

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, MOPMOB. I'm wondering whether I
can simply not bother with a "prime email supplier" and just configure
TB to read Gmail and Hotmail directly? Is that likely cause any
problems? I'd want to be able to reply using TB from the Gmail and
Hotmail addresses.

I have a "lifetime forwarding address" supplied by my old university
which would also do, bit it's a boodly cumbersome address. It might be
simpler than setting up a personal domain, though - especially in the
light of Sally's experience.

Sorry to be a weed about this. It's a bit of a blow and umratic help is
very, very much appreciated.
2018-03-20 11:07:16 UTC
[...]
Suppose you set up an address ***@gmail.com and that was the one you had
all the other addresses forwarded to. That's what I was referring to as
your primary address, in that that's the one you would be checking on a
regular basis. That's fine, until there's a problem with gmail or, for
any other reason you can't access that account.

That's why I think setting up TB to read gmail and hotmail directly is
the best approach (and is what I do). TB will cope with that quite
happily and use the appropriate From address for each account (and allow
you to switch addresses if you wish, to reply to an email on hotmail
with your gmail address, for example).

Using TB like this, if gmail was down, you still wouldn't be able to
I have a "lifetime forwarding address" supplied by my old university
which would also do, bit it's a boodly cumbersome address.  It might be
simpler than setting up a personal domain, though - especially in the
light of Sally's experience.
Sally's experience does seem to be an exception. It generally works well.
Sorry to be a weed about this.  It's a bit of a blow and umratic help is
very, very much appreciated.
You don't sound very weedy to me. Most of us have turned to umra for
advice on various subjects from time to time.
Take heed, dear Friends, to the promptings of love and truth in your
hearts. (Quaker Advices and Queries #1)
Sid Nuncius
2018-03-20 11:09:42 UTC
[...]
That's brilliant - really helpful. Thanks so much, Serena!
2018-03-20 11:34:07 UTC
[...]
Late to the party, but have brought my own meringues, if anyone's
interested?

I have five domain names, four websites and about fifteen email
accounts, so my own solution may be overkill for you (though if you ever
do want to make a website, I can highly recommend EUKhost.com). However,
my husband's solution may perhaps be more useful - he has his own domain
name, registered at 123.reg, and mail is simply immediately forwarded to
the current ISP, Virgin. If we should go back to BT, changing the
forwarding will be trivial. We have also set up forwarding to a gmail
account, which is not used everyday, but acts as a backstop when Virgin
collapses, or something has been deleted by accident, and is also easier
to access when travelling.

Any good?
2018-03-20 17:30:42 UTC
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email
address, which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why.
Is it worth it for email only, would you say?  What are the
advantages?  Is it expensive or complicated etc?  Can you recommend a
good site to do this?
I think so. Again, this is what I do. One of the big advantages is
that it gives you some protection from the problem you currently have.
It becomes relatively easy to switch email provider, if/when you need
to, without changing your email address. You can also change domain
host without affecting your address.
It's neither expensive or complicated. My domain is currently hosted
with <https://www.daily.co.uk/>, who seem fine and currently charge
£6.24 pa for a .co.uk or .me.uk domain.
Hmm, less than I pay Tsohost, though not by much - 7.12 comes to mind
(unless a just .uk domain costs slightly more; not enough that I'm going
to worry about it, anyway). I also pay then twentysomething a year
(their lowest package) for mail handling, which comes with webspace -
not that I really needed the latter, but it is handy if I want to put
something up for people to see without a complex page loaded with
scripts and other junk, as many of the picture-sharing sites are. For
example, I was able to host the Bingo pictures for her future owner.
(This lowest offering gives me 500M of space, to be shared between the
website and emails, but as I choose to have the emails forwarded to my
plusnet email rather than collect from Tsohost [I could choose to do
either], it's all available for the website. [I think actually using
less than 30M!])
3. Is there an easy way of changing the logins to all the boodly
Not that I know of. There are probably only a relatively small number
which you really need to change immediately (those that you actually
want to receive routine emails from). Others can be changed as and
The ones where they send a confirmation that you have to actually do
something with, to the old address, are probably the ones to tackle
first, while you still _have_ the old address.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
when you use them and, for some, you may be happy for them to only have
an old address.
For what it's worth, I use LastPass (<https://www.lastpass.com>) to
manage my logins and passwords. That won't help with doing a mass
change of logins but it does help with remembering them all!
[I just use the Firefox (and Chrome for a few)
password-and-login-remembering functions, insecure though they may be.]
+

Jane Vernon
2018-03-21 07:47:46 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please.  Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in
June, so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went
on-line over 20 years ago will cease to be valid.
Nugger.
Coming rather late to the thread (having found 5 minutes to dip into
umra), I can't add much to the idea of domains as I use mine for my
website as well as email.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
For what it's worth, I use LastPass (<https://www.lastpass.com>) to
manage my logins and passwords.  That won't help with doing a mass
change of logins but it does help with remembering them all!
In case a second suggestion is helpful, I use KeePass. It was
recommended by an umrat, though I forget who, as I have used it for so
long. I've been recommending it ever since, though AFAICT nobody has
ever followed my recommendation ;)

Hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction. At least you have 3
months notice to sort them out!
--
Jane
BTME

2018-03-21 09:27:37 UTC
In case a second suggestion is helpful, I use KeePass.  It was
recommended by an umrat, though I forget who, as I have used it for so
long.  I've been recommending it ever since, though AFAICT nobody has
ever followed my recommendation ;)
Hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction.  At least you have 3
months notice to sort them out!
Thanks, MOPMOB. And delighted to hear from you! Ca va?
2018-03-21 09:56:47 UTC
Well, I've installed my Gmail account on TB without incident, and have
even hidden the folders I don't want! All seems to be working atm, so
the Implementation Phase seems to be going OK so far. Phew!

I'll have a lie down in a darkened room for a bit and do the same for my
Hotmail a/c a bit later (fsvo later). Assuming that goes OK, I think
I'll just use those two with TB once I actually switch. Just to check
again - do umrats think that's a sensible option, or ought I to have
another ISP-based or other email a/c as well?

Many, many thanks for the help and support so far, MOPsMOBs. It's a
real comfort to have the experience of those I trust to draw on.
2018-03-21 10:09:19 UTC
Well, I've installed my Gmail account on TB without incident, and have
even hidden the folders I don't want!  All seems to be working atm, so
the Implementation Phase seems to be going OK so far.  Phew!
Good news!
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'll have a lie down in a darkened room for a bit and do the same for my
Hotmail a/c a bit later (fsvo later).  Assuming that goes OK, I think
I'll just use those two with TB once I actually switch.  Just to check
again - do umrats think that's a sensible option, or ought I to have
another ISP-based or other email a/c as well?
That sounds fine to me. I don't think there's any inherent benefit to
having an ISP-based email account but it'll be easy for you to add one
later (either ISP based or something else), if you find the need.

I think it's worth having at least two accounts, preferably with
different suppliers, just so that if there's a problem with your main
account you do still have something usable. Anything else, over that,
is entirely optional.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Many, many thanks for the help and support so far, MOPsMOBs.  It's a
real comfort to have the experience of those I trust to draw on.
Umra's good like that, isn't it :)
Do you cherish your friendships, so that they grow in depth and
understanding and mutual respect? In close relationships we may risk
pain as well as finding joy. When experiencing great happiness or great
hurt we may be more open to the working of the Spirit. (Quaker Advices
and Queries #21)
Flop
2018-03-20 08:58:18 UTC
[...]
A. Change logins where your email address is part of the login *As Soon
As Possible*.
Often, changing your details involve them sending you an email for
activation of the change.

B. Get as many email addresses as you can (multiple Gmail addresses?).
This will let you sort your mail into eg Personal, Business, Finance,
Junk and Rubbish. This makes filing easier and deleting is more
efficient. At least one of them should be disposable if it is getting
too many spams.

You can also use pseudo addresses such as ***@mydomainname.co.uk to
check on the validity of emails and whether your address has been hacked
or sold.

C. I use 123reg.co.uk but I am sure there are better hosting offers out
there.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Chris J Dixon
2018-03-20 09:09:22 UTC
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email address,
which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why. Is it worth
it for email only, would you say? What are the advantages? Is it
expensive or complicated etc? Can you recommend a good site to do this?
I have been with what is now Heart Internet

https://www.heartinternet.uk/domain-names

since 2002, and it works well for me.

IIRC I first set it up when I moved from the last of my dial-up
providers (they had changed hands over the years) to broadband,
so that any subsequent changes would not affect my email address.

One of the configuration options is that I can junk, without
forwarding, anything incoming not matching any of my legitimate
addresses before the @.

A mistake I made originally was not to do this, nor having them
set to be forwarded anywhere, so they accumulated until my quota
was full, and couldn't even be examined, I just had to dump them
in the end.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-03-20 09:40:59 UTC
[...]
I have my own domain, and when I had to change email addresses about a year
ago I decided to use it for email. No problem to do, but I discovered that
people with gmail addresses never got my emails: gmail always decides they
are spam and it got such a pain having to explain to people how to train
gmail to accept me that I gave up and am gradually moving to a non
own-domain email address. The other thing I had problems with were my bank.
I have paper free accounts but every month I got a letter saying they
couldn’t use my email address. I asked them to either stop sending me
reminders that my statements were ready or send them by text, but they
wouldn’t do that so again I gave up and gave them a different address which
I already had (I have many for different purposes). Just my tuppence worth.
2018-03-20 10:24:36 UTC
[...]
That's weird. I don't know what the problem was with Sally's domain /
emails but I have mine set up to forward all my emails to my gmail
address (previously they went through my plusnet mail box[1]) and my
outgoing emails go through the gmail servers (badged with my domain
address). With this setup, I haven't had any problems with either
incoming or outgoing mail.

[1] Just as an aside, I wouldn't recommend moving your email to
Plusnet's mail servers (either to use your PN address as your main one
or with a domain address). They seem to give it a fairly low priority
and I moved my email handling away from them, to Gmail, a few months
ago, after a series of low grade problems with their spam handling.
There also seemed to be frequent reports of problems with their mail
servers although I generally seemed to avoid the worst effects of these.
I have to trust what I do and then do it (Ednita Nazario)
Jim Easterbrook
2018-03-20 16:43:40 UTC
I have my own domain, and when I had to change email addresses about a
year ago I decided to use it for email. No problem to do, but I
discovered that people with gmail addresses never got my emails: gmail
always decides they are spam and it got such a pain having to explain to
people how to train gmail to accept me that I gave up and am gradually
moving to a non own-domain email address.
It wouldn't surprise me if Google are trying to take over email entirely.
Picking off smaller providers one by one in this way is a crafty way of
going about it. I have a gmail address but use it as little as possible.
Google is not a benign company, IMO.
2018-03-20 10:13:42 UTC
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email address,
which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why.  Is it worth
it for email only, would you say?  What are the advantages?  Is it
expensive or complicated etc?  Can you recommend a good site to do this?
I find it suits my purposes very well. I use 7 different "front ends"
with my domain - one for "commercial" purposes, one for friends &
family, one for my genealogy interests, etc. I'd definitely say it was
worth it and not at all complicated.

I've been with UK Servers for many years and paid them a pittance for my
domain name (£10 a year or something equally trifling), however they
have recently been taken over by a company called Namesco so I can't
really make a recommendation as I haven't been with them for long enough
to know what they're like.
2018-03-20 17:37:36 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Jenny M Benson
<***@hotmail.co.uk> writes:
I've been with UK Servers for many years and paid them a pittance for
my domain name (£10 a year or something equally trifling), however they
have recently been taken over by a company called Namesco so I can't
really make a recommendation as I haven't been with them for long
enough to know what they're like.
Aargh, not the biscuit company! Demon, when they stopped doing email (in
their own unique way), handed it over to Nabisco: you could keep your
@*.demon.co.uk email (some of which had been in use for decades), but
you had to pay Names.co for the privilege (and a not insignificant
amount - it wasn't a _lot_, but one did resent it). After a year, they
(Namesco) upped the ante, such that you had to go onto something to do
with Office 365 if you wanted to keep using ***@host.demon.co.uk (I
think you could carry on with singlename@, though I'm not sure about
that). That's when I jumped ship.

I've heard they're not bad as a purely hosting/registering company, but
after the way they treated (ex-)Demon customers, I'm never going to
_recommend_ them to anyone. However, I hope they give you no trouble.

Nick Leverton
2018-03-20 20:58:10 UTC
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email address,
which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why.  Is it worth
it for email only, would you say?  What are the advantages?  Is it
expensive or complicated etc?  Can you recommend a good site to do this?
I find it suits my purposes very well. I use 7 different "front ends"
with my domain - one for "commercial" purposes, one for friends &
family, one for my genealogy interests, etc. I'd definitely say it was
worth it and not at all complicated.
I've been with UK Servers for many years and paid them a pittance for my
domain name (£10 a year or something equally trifling), however they
have recently been taken over by a company called Namesco so I can't
really make a recommendation as I haven't been with them for long enough
"Expensive" is the first word that comes to mind, I'm afraid. My domain
started with Peter Gradwell, and by a series of takeovers ended up with
Namesco. Since about 2010 they considerably increased the cost of domain
renewals, and by 2014 were twice the cost of Zen, for instance.
My most recent invoice from Namesco would have been over 50 quid to
renew one domain for two years (domain-only, no hosting). I didn't pay
it but dumped them and transferred the domain over as soon as I realised.

I see Namesco now promote themselves as "a Dada brand", make of that
what one will ...

2018-03-20 21:34:18 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I see Namesco now promote themselves as "a Dada brand", make of that
what one will ...
They're somebody's hobby-horse?

john
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-22 13:04:56 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I see Namesco now promote themselves as "a Dada brand", make of that
what one will ...
They're somebody's hobby-horse?
They're something to be pissed on.

Rotaa
krw
2018-03-21 13:23:44 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I see Namesco
I am with Namesco and there is a drawback which might be worth
mentioning - they charge extra for smtp and so at the moment I am using
a mixture of Yahoo, gmail and plusnet for smtp. However in view of the
comments I might look round for something cheaper when renewal looms.
2018-03-20 14:16:00 UTC
[...]
I feel your pain, Sid. I had an email account with my ISP which was
originally Freeserve and after a number of changes has ended up as EE.
In all the years the *only* problem I've ever had with them was their
sudden decision to close their email provision last year. They did give
users lots of notice, though.

I also have a couple of Gmail accounts but the Freeserve address was the
one registered in many places (and printed on my stationery) The answer
to your third question is: if there is an easy way, I never found it. It
was very time-consuming but it was also quite a useful spring cleaning
exercise.

But my real problem, which is still ongoing, is with Apple. My iPad was
set up with the Freeserve address and any apps set up using it cannot be
updated. I have to delete them and reinstall. Changing an Apple ID and
associated email address is really difficult.
2018-03-20 18:54:48 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
Yes, I've been thinking about the spring-cleaning aspect, which will be
a Good Thing, I suppose. I have a list of all my logins kept securely,
so once I've fixed on a new address I'll go through it, scrapping the
ones I no longer need - which I suspect will be quite a few.

Fortunately, I have nothing to do with Apple, so that problem won't arise.

Thanks again to all for the helpful responses!
2018-03-20 16:09:18 UTC
I could do with the benefit of a bit of umratic wisdom, please. Tesco
have just let me know that they are closing their email servers in
June, so the email addresses I've had and used since I first went
on-line over 20 years ago will cease to be valid.
Nugger.
Yes, that seems to be a trend: companies which provide another service,
such as internet connectivity, and also provide email, seem to be
gradually ceasing to do so. (I suppose gmail, hotmail, etc. provide them
with a lot of the incentive to drop it.) Demon did it in a strange way
(see my reply to I think Jenny's post); Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE did
it last year. No sign _yet_ of PlusNet doing it, though I've heard
rumours that they don't offer email to new customers unless they ask for
it (don't know if that's true or not).
Post by Sid Nuncius
I already have a Gmail address for my real-life stuff and a Hotmail
address for Nuncius related items, both of which forward to Tesco
addresses which I read on Thunderbird. I would welcome umratic views
1. Is there any possible snag to simply defaulting to these two
addresses by setting up Thunderbird accounts for them and then letting
people know of the new addresses? Would umrats advise having a
separate account and still forwarding to it (e.g. with Plusnet, who are
my current ISP)?
Whoever you go with, you're reliant on them staying up: presumably gmail
and hotmail are more likely to fix any problem quickly than most others.

The only other aspects are <appearance> and <number of addresses>.

For private use, <appearance> is almost unimportant, except perhaps as a
matter of vanity; for company use, a gmail address looks a bit naff, IMO
- I'd certainly be slightly more wary of a trader with a gmail address
(in the same way I would of one who only gives a mobile number, though
not to the same extent: on the whole, I don't buy at all from
mobile-only traders). Where it comes to non-commercial organisations -
something like a charity, organisation, choir or other such group - it
falls somewhere in between; personally I'd _recommend_ them not to use a
gmail address, but that's for each such organisation to decide.

<Number of addresses>: never having set up a gmail account I don't know
what's involved, but I _presume_ you can set up as many as you like;
however, they presumably all are of the @gmail type. If you have your
own domain, you can set up lots (infinite in most cases), and they'll
all be of the form ***@mydomain; obviously it's good for
companies, who can have sales@, info@, complaints@ [I wish!], and so on,
but can be useful for private use too: either different members of a
Post by Sid Nuncius
2. I know that somerats have their own domain and related email
address, which I am slightly tempted by although I'm not sure why. Is
it worth it for email only, would you say? What are the advantages?
Depends on how much you value various aspects. One _is_ vanity - and I
don't mind admitting that had some effect in my case, though considering
how long I took to get round to it, it can't have been a significant
factor; I was mainly prompted by a variation of what's happened to you.
Note that you can, now, get a just .uk one if you wish: I did, rather
than .co.uk (as I'm not a company yet), .org.uk (me? organised?), .me.uk
(as I _might_ want to be a company sometime), and so on. I really wanted
255.uk, but that sort of belonged to someone else; nevertheless, it does
lead to very short ones. (Of course, you can still go for .com, .org, or
a variety of others without a country suffix - or, for that matter, ones
in another country [most registration-handling companies will do that
for you].)

If you do decide to go for it, spend some time thinking about what to go
for, as you'll be using it for a long time! In particular, think about
it in conjunction with the bits _before_ the @: I always think
"***@johnsmith" looks a bit odd (and "***@johnsmith" would be even
odder!) - he should have gone for just @smith if he's going to use
***@. Obviously, have some alternatives in mind in case the one you
want is taken. Oh, and think carefully about using placenames, in case
you move!
Post by Sid Nuncius
Is it expensive or complicated etc? Can you recommend a good site to
do this?
No. There are two parts to it: the pure registration fee, for which the
registrar (I think the company that runs it is called nominet, but AFAIK
you have to pay them via someone else) charges less than 2p a day but
paid yearly; and, the email (and website if any) aspect. I'm with
Tsohost, after recommendations in the demon 'group when Demon did this
to us; apart from all the support staff having alarmingly
Russian-sounding names (to me: someone told me they're in Hungary), I've
found them easy to deal with (they even moved my old website for me),
but haven't had need to much. That comes out as about 7p a day, again
paid yearly.
Post by Sid Nuncius
3. Is there an easy way of changing the logins to all the boodly sites
I'm registered with (I use Firefox), or will I have to remember every
single one of them and then do each one individually? <shudder> (I
suspect I know the answer.)
That, unfortunately, I have no good answer to. I set up a text file -
you could use a table (or spreadsheet if you must, but you _don't_ need
a spreadsheet if all you want is a table - private rant), for all the
people/companies I deal with. Each line contains:

1 name or email address of person, organisation, etc.
2 date I told them
3 which new address I gave them [if I'm using lots]
4 date first time I got an email from them THAT WASN'T A REPLY

I first went through just creating column 1; I went through emails,
password files, my genealogy cousins, companies I'd bought from ...
I then went through it in batches, sending emails telling them.
Or in the case of companies with websites etc., doing whatever was
necessary to register a change of address.*
Obviously filling in columns 2 and 3.
I then waited, filling in column 4. I only did this when I received an
email from them that was NOT a reply to one I'd sent: (some) people
might appear to be using, and thus know, your new email, but that's only
because they are replying to one you'd sent them using your new address.
Some need multiple reminders - and not just individuals, some companies
(or similar) need more than one nudge before they have your new address
(even if they acknowledge your change attempt)!

* I only had _one_ - the GRO (general record office, useful for
genealogy) who would _not_ accept a change of address: they use the
email _as_ the username. I just continue to enter my old (now invalid)
one when I want to use them; since it was free to set up, I can always
create a new one if I wish.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any advice/experience would be very welcome. Thanks, MOPsMOBs.
I'd say the main reason to set up an own-domain arrangement is to avoid
having to go through all the notifying again, if you just transferred to
another email provider and _that_ company stopped doing email or you
fell out with them; doing the notification isn't difficult (on the
whole!), just incredibly tedious, and there's always the fear that you
might miss someone (or they don't properly amend their records). If you
_do_ go the own-domain route, make sure that the domain registration is
in _your_ name not that of the company that handles the registration for
you; that way, if you fall out with _them_, you just switch the admin.
to someone else, _keeping the same_ domain name. I think most of them
_do_ register it in your name for you now, but there might be a few who
still register it in their name, which means they can hold you to ransom
("cybersquatting") at renewal time.

I do sometimes wonder if gmail, hotmail, and the rest will ever either
decide to stop, or to start charging! I don't know what their current
business model is - presumably a combination of advertising and
data-gathering. (I think they _may_ also reserve the right to use things
_in_ your emails, such as pictures, for their own purposes, though I'm
not sure about that.)

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-20 19:58:44 UTC
On 20/03/2018 16:09, J. P. Gilliver (John), talking about companies
No sign _yet_ of PlusNet doing it, though I've heard rumours that they
don't offer email to new customers unless they ask for it (don't know if
that's true or not).
I'm pretty sure it is true; IIRC, I heard the rumour from none other
than Bob Pullen (PN Customer Support guru). I've also heard it
suggested, and not denied, that PN now consider email support to be a
pretty low priority, which means low grade problems can take a long time
to get fixed.
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be
patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
(Winnie the Pooh)
Penny
2018-03-20 21:27:45 UTC
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:58:44 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
On 20/03/2018 16:09, J. P. Gilliver (John), talking about companies
No sign _yet_ of PlusNet doing it, though I've heard rumours that they
don't offer email to new customers unless they ask for it (don't know if
that's true or not).
I'm pretty sure it is true; IIRC, I heard the rumour from none other
than Bob Pullen (PN Customer Support guru). I've also heard it
suggested, and not denied, that PN now consider email support to be a
pretty low priority, which means low grade problems can take a long time
to get fixed.
I only use my PN address for notifications from PN. I'll be annoyed if they
drop their usenet servers though - in fact it is probably the main reason I
am still with them.
2018-03-21 02:09:37 UTC
On 20/03/2018 16:09, J. P. Gilliver (John), talking about companies
No sign _yet_ of PlusNet doing it, though I've heard rumours that
they don't offer email to new customers unless they ask for it (don't
know if that's true or not).
I'm pretty sure it is true; IIRC, I heard the rumour from none other
than Bob Pullen (PN Customer Support guru). I've also heard it
suggested, and not denied, that PN now consider email support to be a
pretty low priority, which means low grade problems can take a long
time to get fixed.
Certainly on a couple of occasions recently, there have been problems
with the incoming mail servers; those of us who take the relevant
newsgroup knew the temporary fix, but if you rang the helpdesk, you only
had a moderate chance of getting through to anyone who knew anything
about other than webmail (which continued to work). Certainly POP/SMTP
mail does seem to have a low priority.

Beatrix Potter was a bunny boiler.
- Patricia Routledge, on "Today" 2016-1-26
Penny
2018-03-20 21:25:34 UTC
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:09:18 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
think carefully about using placenames, in case
you move!
My father used a place name as his address with Demon when he first went
online. It wasn't somewhere he had ever lived but a place in Scotland near
where he holidayed most years. On the whole, not a bad idea except it was
tricky to pronounce and harder to spell so passing it in anything other
than an email could cause problems.

I have used variants of another tricky to spell word in email addresses -
not really a good plan when your correspondents can't type it in correctly
:(
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
2018-03-20 21:59:08 UTC
On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 21:25:36 UTC, Penny wrote:

<snipped>
One of my sisters-in-law has an email address that might well be Gaelic. I have to cut'n paste it.
Kate B
2018-03-20 22:52:57 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
<snipped>
Post by Penny
I have used variants of another tricky to spell word in email addresses -
not really a good plan when your correspondents can't type it in correctly
One of my sisters-in-law has an email address that might well be Gaelic. I have to cut'n paste it.
My very first email address was with a Scottish ISP. We were allowed to
choose any Scottish placename. I chose ***@yell.almac.co.uk

At least people could spell it. I am very fond of my current domain name
(see reply-to address) but sometimes think it might have been a mistake.
2018-03-21 06:18:43 UTC
A friend of mine uses ***@... as his email address. I like it.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-22 13:05:59 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
think carefully about using placenames, in case
you move!
My father used a place name as his address with Demon when he first went
online. It wasn't somewhere he had ever lived but a place in Scotland near
where he holidayed most years.
Yes, I remember that.

Rotaa
Mike
2018-03-22 17:09:17 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
think carefully about using placenames, in case
you move!
My father used a place name as his address with Demon when he first went
online. It wasn't somewhere he had ever lived but a place in Scotland near
where he holidayed most years.
Yes, I remember that.
Rotaa
Cough....
splutter indeed! Still chuckling ...

age. fac ut gaudeam.
Mike
2018-03-22 17:38:46 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
think carefully about using placenames, in case
you move!
My father used a place name as his address with Demon when he first went
online. It wasn't somewhere he had ever lived but a place in Scotland near
where he holidayed most years.
Yes, I remember that.
Rotaa
Cough....