So, farewell then...
2018-06-11 06:06:42 UTC
...Danny Kirwan.
A fine guitarist,
A sad, sad life.

Oh well.[1]

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-11 10:58:15 UTC
On 11/06/18 07:06, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> ...Danny Kirwan.
> A fine guitarist,
> A sad, sad life.
>
> Oh well.[1]
>

> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM

So sad. The perfect foil for Peter Green in the One, the Only True,
Fleetwood Mac (accept no substitutes). May he soar like an albatross.
Steve Hague
2018-06-11 13:33:41 UTC
On 11/06/2018 11:58, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> On 11/06/18 07:06, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> ...Danny Kirwan.
>> A fine guitarist,
>> A sad, sad life.
>>
>> Oh well.[1]
>>

>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM
>
> So sad. The perfect foil for Peter Green in the One, the Only True,
> Fleetwood Mac (accept no substitutes).  May he soar like an albatross.

Agreed. Rumours can destoy lives, and also blues/ rock bands.
Steve

---
2018-06-11 18:07:29 UTC
On 11/06/2018 11:58, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> On 11/06/18 07:06, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> ...Danny Kirwan.
>> A fine guitarist,
>> A sad, sad life.
>>
>> Oh well.[1]
>>

>> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM
>
> So sad. The perfect foil for Peter Green in the One, the Only True,
> Fleetwood Mac (accept no substitutes).  May he soar like an albatross.

Agreed. I don't know whether you bothered with the YouTube link, but I
was surprised to see DK playing the bluesy lead bits while PG did the
backing riff - not to mention Jeremy Spencer, also a terrific guitarist,
doing nothing but shake maracas (not even his moneymaker).

Er...was there another Fleetwood Mac, then? :o)

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-11 18:49:49 UTC

There have been rumours but I doubt it.
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-12 05:47:29 UTC
On 11/06/2018 19:49, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> On 11/06/18 19:07, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> So sad. The perfect foil for Peter Green in the One, the Only True,
>>> Fleetwood Mac (accept no substitutes).  May he soar like an albatross.
>>
>> Agreed.  I don't know whether you bothered with the YouTube link, but
>> I was surprised to see DK playing the bluesy lead bits while PG did
>> the backing riff - not to mention Jeremy Spencer, also a terrific
>> guitarist, doing nothing but shake maracas (not even his moneymaker).
>>
>> Er...was there another Fleetwood Mac, then?  :o)
>
> There have been rumours but I doubt it.

In fairness, the Buckingham/Nicks incarnation recorded some very good
pop songs, and you have to give them Songbird, surely, even if it is
effectively a solo Christine Perfect track.

My problem is just with the name, really. Fleetwood Mac, as you say,
was Greeen, Kirwan, Spencer, Fleetwood and McVie. What followed was a
good pop band, but not Fleetwood Mac, IMO.

2018-06-12 09:21:54 UTC
On 12/06/2018 06:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 11/06/2018 19:49, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:

>>> Agreed.  I don't know whether you bothered with the YouTube link, but
>>> I was surprised to see DK playing the bluesy lead bits while PG did
>>> the backing riff - not to mention Jeremy Spencer, also a terrific
>>> guitarist, doing nothing but shake maracas (not even his moneymaker).
>>>
>>> Er...was there another Fleetwood Mac, then?  :o)
>>
>> There have been rumours but I doubt it.
>
> In fairness, the Buckingham/Nicks incarnation recorded some very good
> pop songs, and you have to give them Songbird, surely, even if it is
> effectively a solo Christine Perfect track.
>
> My problem is just with the name, really.  Fleetwood Mac, as you say,
> was Greeen, Kirwan, Spencer, Fleetwood and McVie.  What followed was a
> good pop band, but not Fleetwood Mac, IMO.

I no nuffink of any of this. But a book I'm reading features many arcane
references to Fleetwood Mac and their music appears to form a kind of
soundtrack to parts of the narrative. Where do I start?

2018-06-12 10:26:44 UTC
On 12/06/18 10:21, Kate B wrote:
> On 12/06/2018 06:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> There have been rumours but I doubt it.
>>
>> In fairness, the Buckingham/Nicks incarnation recorded some very good
>> pop songs, and you have to give them Songbird, surely, even if it is
>> effectively a solo Christine Perfect track.
>>
>> My problem is just with the name, really.  Fleetwood Mac, as you say,
>> was Greeen, Kirwan, Spencer, Fleetwood and McVie.  What followed was a
>> good pop band, but not Fleetwood Mac, IMO.
>>

> I no nuffink of any of this. But a book I'm reading features many arcane
> references to Fleetwood Mac and their music appears to form a kind of
> soundtrack to parts of the narrative. Where do I start?

Probably depends on the time-frame of the novel. One of my favourite Tim
Winton books - Dirt Music - has a music narrative but helpfully has a
double CD of tracks to accompany it.

2018-06-12 10:40:43 UTC
On 12/06/2018 10:21, Kate B wrote:
> On 12/06/2018 06:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:

>>> There have been rumours but I doubt it.
>>
>> In fairness, the Buckingham/Nicks incarnation recorded some very good
>> pop songs, and you have to give them Songbird, surely, even if it is
>> effectively a solo Christine Perfect track.
>>
>> My problem is just with the name, really.  Fleetwood Mac, as you say,
>> was Greeen, Kirwan, Spencer, Fleetwood and McVie.  What followed was a
>> good pop band, but not Fleetwood Mac, IMO.
>>

> I no nuffink of any of this. But a book I'm reading features many arcane
> references to Fleetwood Mac and their music appears to form a kind of
> soundtrack to parts of the narrative. Where do I start?

That depends on when the book is set. (I'd love to know what the book
is, btw!)

From 1967-1970, they were headed by the genius blues guitarist Peter
Green of whom the legendary BB King said "He was the only one that gave
me the cold sweats." They were primarily a blues band, although they did
some very fine other stuff, too, including a monster hit with the
instrumental Albatross. They carried on for a bit after Green's
departure in 1970 (following a bad[1] reaction to some drugs, from which
he never really recovered) making less distinguished music in a similar
vein until the band was effectively taken over in 1974 by Lindsey
Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, a folk-rock American couple who turned
Fleetwood Mac into a sophisticated pop band. In 1977 they released the
album Rumours - still one of the best-selling albums ever, and full of
well-written and expertly produced pop tunes.

So...for the Peter Green end of things, you could try these:
Need Your Love So Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ
Black Magic Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q
The Green Manalishi (one of my favourite tracks ever):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
Man Of the World (arguably the saddest song ever written):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMGJSHZIw4

For the Buckingham/Nicks era, you can hear the whole of Rumours here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Fdm3-dnr0&list=PLcX_QGLREpvm_Y3WcoAeDXM9Igf-dlW7L
(For me, the finest song is Songbird by Christine Perfect, but try some
others to get more of a feel for the band then.)

If there are specific references which you'd like decoded, there are
plenty of umrats who would enjoy them I think. I would.

[1]For a very large value of "bad".
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-12 11:39:18 UTC
On 12/06/18 11:40, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> On 12/06/2018 10:21, Kate B wrote:

> So...for the Peter Green end of things, you could try these:
> Need Your Love So Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ
> Black Magic Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q
> The Green Manalishi (one of my favourite tracks ever):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
> Man Of the World (arguably the saddest song ever written):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMGJSHZIw4

Also worth a listen is the Blue Horizon stable-mate, Chicken Shack,
whose version of Etta James's I Would Rather Go Blind rendered by
Christine Perfect (she were a Greenodd lass you know!) would turn the
knobbliest knees to jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohx9Ve7-GS0&list=RDOhx9Ve7-GS0&t=44
Kate B
2018-06-12 12:06:45 UTC
On 12/06/2018 12:39, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> On 12/06/18 11:40, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 12/06/2018 10:21, Kate B wrote:
>
>> So...for the Peter Green end of things, you could try these:
>> Need Your Love So Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ
>> Black Magic Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q
>> The Green Manalishi (one of my favourite tracks ever):
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
>> Man Of the World (arguably the saddest song ever written):
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMGJSHZIw4
>
> Also worth a listen is the Blue Horizon stable-mate, Chicken Shack,
> whose version of Etta James's I Would Rather Go Blind rendered by
> Christine Perfect (she were a Greenodd lass you know!) would turn the
> knobbliest knees to jelly.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohx9Ve7-GS0&list=RDOhx9Ve7-GS0&t=44

Wow, thank you very much, Sid, for a truly comprehensive overview, and
thank you too Rosie for the additions.

The book in question is actually a trilogy, but the Fleetwood Mac bits
centre round one particular house and one of its occupants. I hesitate
in such august company to talk about it, because it involves vampires
and witches, but it's actually a thoroughly well-written,
well-researched (the author is a professor of the history of science at
SoCal), deeply humane and clever story. It's the All Souls Trilogy by
Deborah Harkness. The heroine's mother had a thing about Fleetwood Mac,
and her old house has a habit of playing songs - for example "Stevie
Nicks stopped warbling about Rhiannon. A few seconds later, Christine
McVie informed us how nice it was to be in over your head."
Ms Harkness herself issues playlists of music that inspired her, for
people to listen to while reading. I can't do that, any music will take
over my attention, but many enjoy them.

2018-06-12 18:17:14 UTC
On 12/06/2018 13:06, Kate B wrote:
> On 12/06/2018 12:39, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
>> On 12/06/18 11:40, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>> On 12/06/2018 10:21, Kate B wrote:
>>
>>> So...for the Peter Green end of things, you could try these:
>>> Need Your Love So Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ
>>> Black Magic Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q
>>> The Green Manalishi (one of my favourite tracks ever):
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
>>> Man Of the World (arguably the saddest song ever written):
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMGJSHZIw4
>>
>> Also worth a listen is the Blue Horizon stable-mate, Chicken Shack,
>> whose version of Etta James's I Would Rather Go Blind rendered by
>> Christine Perfect (she were a Greenodd lass you know!) would turn the
>> knobbliest knees to jelly.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohx9Ve7-GS0&list=RDOhx9Ve7-GS0&t=44
>>

> Wow, thank you very much, Sid, for a truly comprehensive overview, and
> thank you too Rosie for the additions.
>
> The book in question is actually a trilogy, but the Fleetwood Mac bits
> centre round one particular house and one of its occupants. I hesitate
> in such august company to talk about it, because it involves vampires
> and witches, but it's actually a thoroughly well-written,
> well-researched (the author is a professor of the history of science at
> SoCal), deeply humane and clever story. It's the All Souls Trilogy by
> Deborah Harkness. The heroine's mother had a thing about Fleetwood Mac,
> and her old house has a habit of playing songs - for example "Stevie
> Nicks stopped warbling about Rhiannon. A few seconds later, Christine
> McVie informed us how nice it was to be in over your head."

Ah - those are tracks 4 & 5 on Side One of the first FM album of the
Buckingham/Nicks era, entitled simply Fleetwood Mac. Available on a
website near you:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWnVxuqvY7Jj02uzJZw0D7Ue4g5b8hO5c

I'm afraid I struggled rather with A Discovery Of Witches in spite of
some very good bits, and went no further with the trilogy.
(Review: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R36OTQNTM2BPSZ)
Glad you're enjoying it, though.

(And may I wholeheartedly endorse Rosie's recommendation of the Chicken
Shack version of IWRGB. A masterpiece.)

2018-06-12 18:01:43 UTC
Rosalind Mitchell <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> On 12/06/18 11:40, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> On 12/06/2018 10:21, Kate B wrote:
>
>> So...for the Peter Green end of things, you could try these:
>> Need Your Love So Bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2ek7WkQ
>> Black Magic Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q
>> The Green Manalishi (one of my favourite tracks ever):
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
>> Man Of the World (arguably the saddest song ever written):
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMGJSHZIw4
>
> Also worth a listen is the Blue Horizon stable-mate, Chicken Shack,
> whose version of Etta James's I Would Rather Go Blind rendered by
> Christine Perfect (she were a Greenodd lass you know!) would turn the
> knobbliest knees to jelly.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohx9Ve7-GS0&list=RDOhx9Ve7-GS0&t=44

Even someone like me who has forgotten almost all her pop music can
recognise Christine Perfect in two seconds.