Discussion:
Ask EU ... Freddy's holiday
(too old to reply)
DavidK
2018-08-07 10:37:55 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
true for SA?
Serena Blanchflower
2018-08-07 11:20:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
> true for SA?


I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.

His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.

--
Best wishes, Serena
When you forget what you can't change, you'll be happy! (Finnish proverb)
Mike
2018-08-07 11:30:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>> true for SA?
>
>
> I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
> pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
> ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
> can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>
> His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>

Well let’s face it, Kate is one of everbody’s problems!

--
Toodle Pip
Vicky Ayech
2018-08-07 12:12:12 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>> true for SA?
>
>
>I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
>can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>
>His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.

Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
that be a problem when he arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
back.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-08-07 12:26:46 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
><***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>>> true for SA?
>>
>>
>>I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>>pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>>ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
>>can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>>
>>His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>
>Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
>international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
>that be a problem when he arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
>back.

Or cause problems on his eventual return. (Which may be after Brexit -
how long was he planning to go for?) Though it looks as if such matters
are academic for now.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"Grammar is there to help, not hinder."
-- Mark Wallace, APIHNA, 2nd December 2000 (quoted by John Flynn 2000-12-6)
Serena Blanchflower
2018-08-07 13:23:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 07/08/2018 13:26, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
>> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>>>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get
>>>> into
>>>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>>>> true for SA?
>>>
>>>
>>> I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>>> pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>>> ago.  This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him.  I
>>> can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>>>
>>> His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>>
>> Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
>> international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
>> that be a problem when he  arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
>> back.
>
> Or cause problems on his eventual return. (Which may be after Brexit -
> how long was he planning to go for?) Though it looks as if such matters
> are academic for now.


Why would it cause problems for him getting back into the country (and
why might Brexit affect it?)? He's a British Citizen, so he doesn't
need any special approvals to be allowed into the country.

--
Best wishes, Serena
England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.
Fenny
2018-08-07 17:06:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 14:23:22 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>
>Why would it cause problems for him getting back into the country (and
>why might Brexit affect it?)? He's a British Citizen, so he doesn't
>need any special approvals to be allowed into the country.

That may be true for an adult travelling alone, but there are some new
restrictions about families where members have different surnames
coming in by the back door. Parents and children with different
surnames are being told to carry proof including children's birth
certificates. So, if you're not married to your husband, or chose not
to take his name, and the kids don't have the same name as one of you,
questions will be asked!

Apparently it's all about safeguarding, but why does it only apply to
people coming *in* to the country, when they've already taken the kids
out?
--
Fenny
Btms
2018-08-07 19:53:22 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 14:23:22 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>> Why would it cause problems for him getting back into the country (and
>> why might Brexit affect it?)? He's a British Citizen, so he doesn't
>> need any special approvals to be allowed into the country.
>
> That may be true for an adult travelling alone, but there are some new
> restrictions about families where members have different surnames
> coming in by the back door. Parents and children with different
> surnames are being told to carry proof including children's birth
> certificates. So, if you're not married to your husband, or chose not
> to take his name, and the kids don't have the same name as one of you,
> questions will be asked!
>
> Apparently it's all about safeguarding, but why does it only apply to
> people coming *in* to the country, when they've already taken the kids
> out?

My frie ds daughter had a third child not born in Oz where the rest of them
had emigrated. Its takrn a while to sort the paperwork and the child still
can’t go to school.. We are not alone in our immigration/benefits
legislation, it seems.

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Penny
2018-08-07 20:22:17 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 19:53:22 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>My frie ds daughter had a third child not born in Oz where the rest of them
>had emigrated. Its takrn a while to sort the paperwork and the child still
>can’t go to school.. We are not alone in our immigration/benefits
>legislation, it seems.

My daughter's friend, while wandering the globe for a bit after university,
met and took up with a young Dutch chap with a sailing boat. He was
offering sailing holidays in the Pacific - the punters were taught to crew
the boat and paid for the privileged, d's friend fed them, it worked well
for a while. Two boys later they thought they'd better spend some time on
land so the boys could get some formal education and the boat some repairs
and settled in New Zealand. D's friend could do paid work because of her
British passport but the Dutchman couldn't get a working visa.

They then lived in Cornwall for a while but the boys didn't like the
climate, or the school, or the shoes they had to wear so they didn't stay
long. I think they are back in the Pacific - must enquire.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Mike
2018-08-08 07:51:30 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
Two boys later they thought they'd better spend some time on
> land so the boys could get some formal education and the boat some repairs
> and settled in New Zealand. D's friend could do paid work because of her
> British passport but the Dutchman couldn't get a working visa.
>
Is that perhaps a Dutch Cap?



--
Toodle Pip
Mike
2018-08-07 13:31:39 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>>> true for SA?
>>
>>
>> I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>> pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>> ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
>> can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>>
>> His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>
> Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
> international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
> that be a problem when he arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
> back.
>

But we don’t want him back, do we???

--
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-08-07 13:37:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <%ahaD.585728$***@fx34.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
>> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>>>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>>>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>>>> true for SA?
>>>
>>>
>>> I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>>> pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>>> ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
>>> can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>>>
>>> His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>>
>> Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
>> international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
>> that be a problem when he arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
>> back.
>>
>
>But we don’t want him back, do we???
>
Serena says we have to ... (-:
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Paxman, the man who has never used one sneer when three would do
- Elizabeth Day, RT 2015/5/2-8
Btms
2018-08-07 13:31:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:20:15 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
> <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/08/2018 11:37, DavidK wrote:
>>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>>> true for SA?
>>
>>
>> I was discussing this with a friend, earlier this morning, and she's
>> pretty sure that she didn't need a visa when she visited SA a few years
>> ago. This suggests that it might well not be a problem for him. I
>> can't remember which other countries he was planning to visit though.
>>
>> His biggest problem in visiting SA might well be Kate.
>
> Even if he doesn't need a visa might there be an entry on some
> international system that he has a conviction for drugs? And might
> that be a problem when he arrives, meaning he gets sent straight
> back.
>

🤪

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Robin Stevens
2018-08-07 12:29:55 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
> true for SA?

I fear the only holiday he's likely to be taking in the near future will be
one at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And for some reason those no longer seem to
involve travel to exotic locations.
Btms
2018-08-07 13:31:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Robin Stevens <***@cynic.org.uk> wrote:
> DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>> true for SA?
>
> I fear the only holiday he's likely to be taking in the near future will be
> one at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And for some reason those no longer seem to
> involve travel to exotic locations.
>

So Oz is out?

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
2018-08-07 13:33:42 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Robin Stevens <***@cynic.org.uk> wrote:
> DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>> true for SA?
>
> I fear the only holiday he's likely to be taking in the near future will be
> one at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And for some reason those no longer seem to
> involve travel to exotic locations.
>

Probably at Umra’s pleasure too!

--
Toodle Pip
Fenny
2018-08-07 17:06:57 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:29:55 +0000 (UTC), Robin Stevens
<***@cynic.org.uk> wrote:

>DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> wrote in uk.media.radio.archers:
>> Freddy planned to go to SA. Someone on FB said that he wouldn't get into
>> USA with a conviction for drug-sealing. Does anyrat know if the same is
>> true for SA?
>
>I fear the only holiday he's likely to be taking in the near future will be
>one at Her Majesty's Pleasure. And for some reason those no longer seem to
>involve travel to exotic locations.

Are either the USofA or Australia counted as exotic these days?
--
Fenny
Loading...