OT: Midsummer madness
2018-07-02 14:15:23 UTC
Driving down the M56 this afternoon, with the outside temperature at 30
deg C, we passed a young man walking down the hard shoulder, presumably
returning to his car after using the emergency telephone. It was a LONG
way past him that we passed his car and standing nearby was a young
woman with a baby (approx a year old) in her arms.

Yes, she was quite right to get out of the car, but the child had
nothing on its head and she had nothing to shade it with and she didn't
appear to be holding a bottle of water or anything. She must have
already been there for a while and was going to be there for more of a
while.

Why on earth she hadn't walked the few yards away to a stand of trees
where she could at least have kept the baby out of the sun i don't know.
I do hope the baby suffers no ill effects.
2018-07-05 11:19:20 UTC
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 15:15:23 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Driving down the M56 this afternoon, with the outside temperature at 30
deg C, we passed a young man walking down the hard shoulder, presumably
returning to his car after using the emergency telephone. It was a LONG
way past him that we passed his car and standing nearby was a young
woman with a baby (approx a year old) in her arms.
Yes, she was quite right to get out of the car, but the child had
nothing on its head and she had nothing to shade it with and she didn't
appear to be holding a bottle of water or anything. She must have
already been there for a while and was going to be there for more of a
while.
Why on earth she hadn't walked the few yards away to a stand of trees
where she could at least have kept the baby out of the sun i don't know.
I do hope the baby suffers no ill effects.
So do I.

My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip. The first time it apparently cleared itself (but Kwikfit cleared the
internal record - no local dealer would even look at it). It happened again
as I entered Shrewsbury on my way home a week later. Stopping in the middle
of Shrewsbury didn't seem sensible so I waited until I got to a long, clear
roadside parking place in the shade on the A458 in Copthorne. I'd been
camping and still had a couple of coolish bottles of water on board, along
with a folding stool, so I sat by the wall and read my book while awaiting
help.

A different story from the hot day I conked out on the M11 in Essex on the
way to Sheffield some years back. I was told on the emergency phone to put
myself out of harm's way and that there was a camera they could use to keep
an eye on me. It was very noisy in the cutting so I climbed up the bank a
bit, cleared away the hypodermics (!) and sat down with my flask to read my
book. Moments later a police car showed up to check on me because I'd gone
out of view on the camera.
Fred
2018-07-05 21:20:14 UTC
My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip.
When my car "service" light came on the garage's advice was, "Take the bulb out of the service light".

It cost me 90 quid!! to get a diagnosis done saying the catalytic converter needed to be changed.

I wish I'd taken out the bulb.

Fred
Penny
2018-07-05 22:29:28 UTC
On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 14:20:14 -0700 (PDT), Fred <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fred
Post by Penny
My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip.
When my car "service" light came on the garage's advice was, "Take the bulb out of the service light".
It cost me 90 quid!! to get a diagnosis done saying the catalytic converter needed to be changed.
I wish I'd taken out the bulb.
Years ago, Ray's old Golf started beeping rudely and a light came on on the
dashboard. We spent most of an afternoon trying to disconnect the beep and
failed. Eventually he found out this particular warning meant the oil
filter needed changing - once he'd done that it shut up.

He was charged £25 for diagnostics on the next Golf. Kwikfit, OTOH, charged
me nothing for their efforts and I got a free cup of tea while I waited :)
2018-07-06 08:43:03 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Penny
My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip.
When my car "service" light came on the garage's advice was, "Take the bulb out of the service light".
It cost me 90 quid!! to get a diagnosis done saying the catalytic converter needed to be changed.
I wish I'd taken out the bulb.
Years ago, Ray's old Golf started beeping rudely and a light came on on the
dashboard. We spent most of an afternoon trying to disconnect the beep and
failed. Eventually he found out this particular warning meant the oil
filter needed changing - once he'd done that it shut up.
He was charged £25 for diagnostics on the next Golf. Kwikfit, OTOH, charged
me nothing for their efforts and I got a free cup of tea while I waited :)
On my Vauxhall I have Onstar and the car emails me monthly with a
report on the various systems. Now and then a warning has come up on
the dashboard and I've pressed the Onstar to call them and they've
said what it was and what to do.
Nick Odell
2018-07-05 23:31:48 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Penny
My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip.
When my car "service" light came on the garage's advice was, "Take the bulb out of the service light".
It cost me 90 quid!! to get a diagnosis done saying the catalytic converter needed to be changed.
I wish I'd taken out the bulb.
I thought you were going to say that it cost you 90 quid to have the
bulb taken out. That would have been outrageous but not entirely
unbelievable

2018-07-06 07:54:32 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Penny
My car reported a fault and told me to stop a couple of times on my recent
trip.
When my car "service" light came on the garage's advice was, "Take
the bulb out of the service light".
It cost me 90 quid!! to get a diagnosis done saying the catalytic
converter needed to be changed.
I wish I'd taken out the bulb.
I believe certain error lights are now an MoT failure, hence the advice.

The company I spent 6 months with recently, a large part of whose
business was repairing dashboards, often received dashes which had a
piece of black tape strategically placed, or a filter piece that had had
black pen over it. (Modern dashes are a PCB with surface-mount LEDs on -
not so easy to remove.) Company policy was always to remove the blanking
before returning the dash - we couldn't return something non-working; I
presume the garages who'd sent them in (for some other fault, such as
meter movement malfunction) immediately restored the blanking.
Post by Nick Odell
I thought you were going to say that it cost you 90 quid to have the
bulb taken out. That would have been outrageous but not entirely
unbelievable
In many vehicles, the effort involved in accessing (especially if
removal is required) the dashboard is not trivial. By the time you've
included refitting, I can imagine the labour charge easily mounting up.

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.
Jim Easterbrook
2018-07-06 08:51:46 UTC
I thought you were going to say that it cost you 90 quid to have the
bulb taken out. That would have been outrageous but not entirely
unbelievable
In many vehicles, the effort involved in accessing (especially if
removal is required) the dashboard is not trivial. By the time you've
included refitting, I can imagine the labour charge easily mounting up.
Even removing parts of it (e.g. to get at the indicator relay on a
Vauxhall Corsa) without breaking plastic clips (that have become brittle
with age) is a challenge.