Cats and cars
2017-05-14 12:54:30 UTC
I think the discussion about "hit and runs" on cats was a bit harsh.
OK, the Lodge isn't exactly in the middle of nowhere and Ben was
allegedly overweight so probably not moving that fast, so Brian could
probably have avoided him if he had been paying attention.

However, as we all know, cats do run out into the road and unless
you're driving on an otherwise empty road, slamming the brakes on or
swerving to avoid it is not always going to be possible. Yes, if
Brian had been paying attention, he may have stopped and done
something about it.

But what do you do when you're not in a highly inhabited area and you
hit something? Are you supposed to stop, scoop up the remains and try
and track down the owner?

I hit a cat a couple of years ago on the way to work in the morning.
Rural road, nearest buildings were the local shooting club and a
tractor factory. I was doing 50+ mph and had no chance of not hitting
it as it ran in front of me. When I looked in the mirror, there was
no sign of it on the road. Was I supposed to stop, go back and search
it out?

The roads around here are quite busy with wildlife - rabbits, foxes,
badgers, assorted game birds and, in certain places, deer. Apart from
the damage they might do to the car if you hit them, nobody is going
to stop and pick them up.
2017-05-14 13:05:17 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2017 13:54:30 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
I hit a cat a couple of years ago on the way to work in the morning.
Rural road, nearest buildings were the local shooting club and a
tractor factory. I was doing 50+ mph and had no chance of not hitting
it as it ran in front of me. When I looked in the mirror, there was
no sign of it on the road. Was I supposed to stop, go back and search
it out?
No, the law says all cats are feral so there is no 'owner' (sorry Jenny).
If you hit a dog, OTOH, you are supposed to do something about it.

I was hit by a dog which ran across the road into my motorbike. By the time
I'd picked myself and bike up the dog had run off so I figured it was no
more injured than I was and continued on my way.
2017-05-14 14:58:39 UTC
Post by Fenny
I hit a cat a couple of years ago on the way to work in the morning.
Rural road, nearest buildings were the local shooting club and a
tractor factory. I was doing 50+ mph and had no chance of not hitting
it as it ran in front of me. When I looked in the mirror, there was
no sign of it on the road. Was I supposed to stop, go back and search
it out?
No, the law says all cats are feral so there is no 'owner' (sorry Jenny).
If you hit a dog, OTOH, you are supposed to do something about it.
Yes. Surely somebody in Ambridge must know this but perhaps they are
all too frightened of Peggy to speak out[1][2]
Post by Penny
I was hit by a dog which ran across the road into my motorbike. By the time
I'd picked myself and bike up the dog had run off so I figured it was no
more injured than I was and continued on my way.
My one-and-only cat-squashing episode occurred in Germany so I hope
the same rules apply. I was driving towards the border[3] on an empty
road[3] when a cat sprang out of the undergrowth and straight into my
path. Being aware that it was an empty road I did what you are not
supposed to and took evasive action.

I missed that cat. But I squashed the previously unseen cat that had
chased it into the road. Ah well.

Nick
[1]Listening to the Mike Walker play on R4 as I type this and the
parallels are eerily apparent
[2]Perhaps someone will write a "Downfall" subtitle sequence about
Peggy's cat
[3Yes Peter, I know.
Penny
2017-05-14 16:27:57 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2017 15:58:39 +0100, Nick Odell
I was hit by a dog which ran across the road into my motorbike. By the time
I'd picked myself and bike up the dog had run off so I figured it was no
more injured than I was and continued on my way.
My one-and-only cat-squashing episode occurred in Germany so I hope
the same rules apply. I was driving towards the border[3] on an empty
road[3] when a cat sprang out of the undergrowth and straight into my
path. Being aware that it was an empty road I did what you are not
supposed to and took evasive action.
I missed that cat. But I squashed the previously unseen cat that had
chased it into the road. Ah well.
Karma.

Now you've reminded me of a very unpleasant encounter with dogs on the M25.
I had no idea what one was supposed to do in such circumstances but my
children were both in the car and there is no way I could have ploughed
into these two large waggy-tailed dogs who seemed to be pleased to see
everyone who was driving towards them. I guess they'd been causing chaos
for a while when we reached them as traffic was slowing. The dogs' owners
were parked on the hard shoulder impotently calling them.

I was very shaken up and pulled off the motorway at the first opportunity
to calm down.
2017-05-15 09:41:19 UTC
[...]
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway. This was pre-mobile phone or I would have stopped and
phoned the police; it was an accident waiting to happen.
krw
2017-05-15 10:14:05 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway.
I was driving on the M26 in the early hours when there was a wheelbarrow
on the carriageway in front of me. Luckily I could change lanes.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-05-15 10:38:55 UTC
On Mon, 15 May 2017 11:14:05 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway.
I was driving on the M26 in the early hours when there was a wheelbarrow
on the carriageway in front of me. Luckily I could change lanes.
How fast was it going?
Did you report it to anyone?
2017-05-15 10:40:07 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway.
I was driving on the M26 in the early hours when there was a wheelbarrow
on the carriageway in front of me. Luckily I could change lanes.
How fast was it going?
Did you report it to anyone?
'One wheel on my wagon, but I'm still rolling along....'
2017-05-15 11:44:27 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway.
I was driving on the M26 in the early hours when there was a wheelbarrow
on the carriageway in front of me. Luckily I could change lanes.
How fast was it going?
Did you report it to anyone?
I think it had bounced when it fell off something. But not going very
fast. This may have been before I regularly carried a mobile phone.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Jenny M Benson
2017-05-15 15:11:12 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway. This was pre-mobile phone or I would have stopped and
phoned the police; it was an accident waiting to happen.
Many years ago I was a passenger in my cousin-in-law's car when we were
stopped by an anatine procession across the road. The mother duck took
to her wings and scarpered. My c-i-l, the wife of a farmer and thus a
farmer herself, scooped up the ducklings and took them home to join her
own ... I wondered what the collective noun was and apparently it's
safe, a safe of ducks.
2017-05-15 19:33:37 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway. This was pre-mobile phone or I would have stopped and
phoned the police; it was an accident waiting to happen.
Many years ago I was a passenger in my cousin-in-law's car when we were
stopped by an anatine procession across the road. The mother duck took
to her wings and scarpered. My c-i-l, the wife of a farmer and thus a
farmer herself, scooped up the ducklings and took them home to join her
own ... I wondered what the collective noun was and apparently it's
safe, a safe of ducks.
Or a feast...
To even suggest this is bad taste, would be bad taste. 🤓
Paul Herber
2017-05-15 16:08:11 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was driving up the M1 and I saw a duck trying to lead ducklings across
the motorway. This was pre-mobile phone or I would have stopped and
phoned the police; it was an accident waiting to happen.
Many years ago I was a passenger in my cousin-in-law's car when we were
stopped by an anatine procession across the road. The mother duck took
to her wings and scarpered. My c-i-l, the wife of a farmer and thus a
farmer herself, scooped up the ducklings and took them home to join her
own ... I wondered what the collective noun was and apparently it's
safe, a safe of ducks.
an orangery?
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-14 19:08:13 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:
I missed that cat. But I squashed the previously unseen cat that had
chased it into the road. Ah well.
[]
You remind me of the two (possibly apocryphal) stories from the last
Firemen's strike (when the Army were turned out to provide cover, with
their "Green Goddess" fire engines).

Story 1: when not doing the primary task, e. g. rescuing people from
blazing buildings, they also did the minor tasks the fire brigade do -
such as rescuing cats stuck up trees. [Do the fire brigade still do
that?] After completing one such rescue, successfully, when leaving the
scene - they ran over said cat in their engine.

Story 2 (which predicates that Story 1 is true): The TV newscasters (I
think this was in the days of Jan Leeming, though not sure if this was
her) were told they _could_ report the above story - provided they could
do so with a straight face.

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."
Fenny
2017-05-14 17:37:47 UTC
No, the law says all cats are feral so there is no 'owner' (sorry Jenny).
If you hit a dog, OTOH, you are supposed to do something about it.
I know you're supposed to report hitting a dog. Not sure whether I'd
actually try to pick it up and get it into the car.

I went out this afternoon to recce the location of the polling station
in Kelmarsh. I came home via Naseby, Guildsbrough and Coton. I saw a
few pheasants out on the road, but it was quiet enough that there was
no problem avoiding them. I could have clipped a few pedestrians (and
dogs) if I'd tried a bit harder - all without exceeding the speed
limits.
2017-05-14 17:48:43 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Penny
No, the law says all cats are feral so there is no 'owner' (sorry Jenny).
If you hit a dog, OTOH, you are supposed to do something about it.
I know you're supposed to report hitting a dog. Not sure whether I'd
actually try to pick it up and get it into the car.
I went out this afternoon to recce the location of the polling station
in Kelmarsh. I came home via Naseby, Guildsbrough and Coton. I saw a
few pheasants out on the road, but it was quiet enough that there was
no problem avoiding them. I could have clipped a few pedestrians (and
dogs) if I'd tried a bit harder - all without exceeding the speed
limits.
Do you get more points if you can keep within the speed limit and still
clip the pedestrians?
2017-05-14 17:57:31 UTC
Do you get more points if you can keep within the speed limit and still
clip the pedestrians?
Of course. They have more time to get out of the way.