OT: pillaging help
SODAM
2018-03-05 15:48:46 UTC
Has anyone else experienced this? My mobile phone bill was higher than
expected. The supplier told me there was a deduction from a firm named
Primus Digital and this was the third month there had been a debit. It was
set up on 24td Dec after 17.00, when I was newly arrived at no. 2
daughter’s house for Christmas and unlikely to be setting up DDs.

I rang the number, which is the only contact information that I have. It
accesses a recorded message asking me to press 1 if I wanted to cancel and
2 if I wanted a return call. Needless to say, they haven’t rung back. From
the internet, the company appears to be a Canadian telephone company. I
have already set up a third party block that will prevent such a thing
recurring. How did this happen? Who do I complain to?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
DavidK
2018-03-05 18:11:29 UTC
Post by SODAM
Has anyone else experienced this? My mobile phone bill was higher than
expected. The supplier told me there was a deduction from a firm named
Primus Digital and this was the third month there had been a debit. It was
set up on 24td Dec after 17.00, when I was newly arrived at no. 2
daughter’s house for Christmas and unlikely to be setting up DDs.
I rang the number, which is the only contact information that I have. It
accesses a recorded message asking me to press 1 if I wanted to cancel and
2 if I wanted a return call. Needless to say, they haven’t rung back. From
the internet, the company appears to be a Canadian telephone company. I
have already set up a third party block that will prevent such a thing
recurring. How did this happen? Who do I complain to?
I accidentally signed up for something that incurred a subscription and
I traced it back to ES File Explorer which had started to put ads on the
front-page lock screen.
Flop
2018-03-05 19:11:53 UTC
Post by SODAM
Has anyone else experienced this? My mobile phone bill was higher than
expected. The supplier told me there was a deduction from a firm named
Primus Digital and this was the third month there had been a debit. It was
set up on 24td Dec after 17.00, when I was newly arrived at no. 2
daughter’s house for Christmas and unlikely to be setting up DDs.
I rang the number, which is the only contact information that I have. It
accesses a recorded message asking me to press 1 if I wanted to cancel and
2 if I wanted a return call. Needless to say, they haven’t rung back. From
the internet, the company appears to be a Canadian telephone company. I
have already set up a third party block that will prevent such a thing
recurring. How did this happen? Who do I complain to?
https://psauthority.org.uk/

However, they look very impressive with huge fines for transgressors.

But their financial audits are complex so there is no way to determine
whether fines ever get paid or if they have any impact on rogue diallers.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Fenny
2018-03-05 20:28:56 UTC
Post by SODAM
Has anyone else experienced this? My mobile phone bill was higher than
expected. The supplier told me there was a deduction from a firm named
Primus Digital and this was the third month there had been a debit. It was
set up on 24td Dec after 17.00, when I was newly arrived at no. 2
daughter’s house for Christmas and unlikely to be setting up DDs.
I rang the number, which is the only contact information that I have. It
accesses a recorded message asking me to press 1 if I wanted to cancel and
2 if I wanted a return call. Needless to say, they haven’t rung back. From
the internet, the company appears to be a Canadian telephone company. I
have already set up a third party block that will prevent such a thing
recurring. How did this happen? Who do I complain to?
Contact your bank. Tell them you have no idea who this company is and
how they have set up a direct debit. Under the DD guarantee, if
there's an error, the bank should sort it out. Ask them to give you
the information they got from the company.
2018-03-05 20:43:15 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by SODAM
[...]
Seconded, if it was a DD - I've found my bank very good if I've wanted
to stop those. Unfortunately, I think SODAM's knaves are debiting her
'phone bill, not her bank account. In which case I'd complain more to
the provider - which it sounds like she's done, without much success,
but I'd try again; failing that, OfCom, the TPS, and anyone similar you
can think of. The best results are obtained by those who manage to get
their case covered by You and Yours, Ripoff Britain, or similar - but
the chance of getting that are I fear infinitesimal. I've also heard
that posting on the supplier's twitterbooksap page may have results
(though I'd be prepared to change supplier soon after), but I have no
direct experience of this.

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
SODAM
2018-03-06 01:06:15 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by SODAM
[...]
Yes, it was on my phone bill. OfCom wasn’t interested. I’m going to try
Flop’s suggestion of PSA, and yours of TPS. If I hadn’t checked with EE why
the phone bill was higher, this could have gone on for months. I’ve only
lost £13.50 but cannot think how it happened.

I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-06 13:56:27 UTC
In message
<260755699.541989933.343576.kemp_m-***@news.eternal-september.or
g>, SODAM <***@talktalk.net> writes:
[]
Post by SODAM
Yes, it was on my phone bill. OfCom wasn’t interested. I’m going to try
Not surprised. OfCom are ISTM only really interested in selling off
parts of the TV broadcast band for mobile data, meaning those of us who
_don't_ want to receive TV via broadband will have less and less space
to get it in. (Sorry, personal rant there.)
Post by SODAM
Flop’s suggestion of PSA, and yours of TPS. If I hadn’t checked with EE why
I've just been looking at TPS again this morning (I wanted to report an
infringement concerning a call I'd received: I had to lie _a little_
about the nature of the call, but I'm sure no more than the caller did
about what he wanted to do): I don't think you'll have much luck there.
They're clearly just a sop set up by the direct marketing industry. I
followed the link from their site to the one about stopping unaddressed
_mail_["Occupier" etc.]: (1) that scaremongers about not receiving some
"local authority publications" (I don't think any LA uses a DMA member
to distribute anything _important_, like election forms), and (2) they
send you a form you have to print, fill in, and scan to send back: not
trying to make it tedious, are they! [If anyone wants the form, just ask
and I'll pass it on.] Even the Royal Mail "service" they link to is
similar, but in their case the local authority scaremongering might be
valid. [I can pass on their communication too.]
Post by SODAM
the phone bill was higher, this could have gone on for months. I’ve only
lost £13.50 but cannot think how it happened.
I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
I'm glad - though somewhat amazed - that you _can_ do this! Of course,
you _ought_ to be able to, but I'm surprised you actually can. Thanks
for the tip.

it is easy to make up a lie, but it can take much more time and effort to
convincingly refute it. - Patrick Cockburn, i, 2016-9-24
SODAM
2018-03-06 14:28:05 UTC
In message
Post by SODAM
I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
I'm glad - though somewhat amazed - that you _can_ do this! Of course,
you _ought_ to be able to, but I'm surprised you actually can. Thanks
for the tip.
I’m beginning to think the official bodies concerned are all paper tigers
but it’s all I can work with. 15 phone calls and more than two hours on the
phone later, I got the money refunded to my account. That was from my
mobile service provider, not the white collar robbers who took my money. I
still want to find these people who originated the scam so that I can
report them. I’m taking inspiration from Serena’s investigations of
George’s father. :-)

Thank you to all who responded. I tried to answer individually but fell
into spam traps and my email of general thanks never appeared here.

I would love the form to stop unaddressed mail, please.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-06 14:37:51 UTC
In message
Post by SODAM
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by SODAM
I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
I'm glad - though somewhat amazed - that you _can_ do this! Of course,
you _ought_ to be able to, but I'm surprised you actually can. Thanks
for the tip.
I’m beginning to think the official bodies concerned are all paper tigers
but it’s all I can work with. 15 phone calls and more than two hours on the
phone later, I got the money refunded to my account. That was from my
mobile service provider, not the white collar robbers who took my money. I
Great news! Though I agree not satisfying if the original toerags aren't
severely punished. (But the mobile providers are certainly no innocents
in this matter either; for example, I'm sure they took a cut of that
charge.) And your two hours ought to have been worth more than 13 quid
or so: that's well under minimum wage. (Compensation?)
Post by SODAM
still want to find these people who originated the scam so that I can
report them. I’m taking inspiration from Serena’s investigations of
George’s father. :-)
What's Will Grundy done now?
Post by SODAM
Thank you to all who responded. I tried to answer individually but fell
into spam traps and my email of general thanks never appeared here.
No prob.; glad to help, if I did.
Post by SODAM
I would love the form to stop unaddressed mail, please.
Coming up.

Vicky
2018-03-06 18:35:24 UTC
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:37:51 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I’m beginning to think the official bodies concerned are all paper tigers
but it’s all I can work with. 15 phone calls and more than two hours on the
phone later, I got the money refunded to my account. That was from my
mobile service provider, not the white collar robbers who took my money. I
Great news! Though I agree not satisfying if the original toerags aren't
severely punished. (But the mobile providers are certainly no innocents
in this matter either; for example, I'm sure they took a cut of that
charge.) And your two hours ought to have been worth more than 13 quid
or so: that's well under minimum wage. (Compensation?)
I've had a few run-ins with my mobile provider and the land line one
who gave me a free sim that we put in a phone for grandson a year or
so ago. In both cases premium numbers were charged and we didn't do
it. If you click on a text that can happen or you give your phone
number in some cases. And those premium numbers came up when I googled
as well-known and providers had been asked to block them, so I
thcweamed and thcweamed and thcweamed a bit and got refunds.
2018-03-06 18:43:15 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by SODAM
[...]
Oh dear. If they really are "known" ones and providers should have
blocked them and they didn't, then they really need to have their
knuckles rapped in some way that they will actually notice - meaning
either fines that are more than 0.01% of their turnover, imprisonment of
directors, or loss of licence. And, whatever body that passes the money
to the rogue collectors also ought to have disconnected them anyway, so
that calls can't be made to them.

Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves. -Abraham
Lincoln, 16th president of the U.S (1809-1865)
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-06 15:33:33 UTC
Post by SODAM
I’m beginning to think the official bodies concerned are all paper tigers
but it’s all I can work with. 15 phone calls and more than two hours on the
phone later, I got the money refunded to my account. That was from my
mobile service provider, not the white collar robbers who took my money. I
still want to find these people who originated the scam so that I can
report them. I’m taking inspiration from Serena’s investigations of
George’s father.:-)
:)
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder
for me to find one now.
Fenny
2018-03-06 18:21:41 UTC
In message
Post by SODAM
I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
I'm glad - though somewhat amazed - that you _can_ do this! Of course,
you _ought_ to be able to, but I'm surprised you actually can. Thanks
for the tip.
I’m beginning to think the official bodies concerned are all paper tigers
but it’s all I can work with. 15 phone calls and more than two hours on the
phone later, I got the money refunded to my account. That was from my
mobile service provider, not the white collar robbers who took my money. I
still want to find these people who originated the scam so that I can
report them. I’m taking inspiration from Serena’s investigations of
George’s father. :-)
You could also try contacting the Information Commissioner. As
someone has managed to do this on your phone without your knowledge,
the ICO might want to have a look at it.
SODAM
2018-03-06 23:05:59 UTC
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:28:05 +0000, SOD
You could also try contacting the Information Commissioner. As
someone has managed to do this on your phone without your knowledge,
the ICO might want to have a look at it.
Thanks, Fenny. I’m turning over every stone I can.
Flop
2018-03-06 16:45:23 UTC
In message
[]
Post by SODAM
the phone bill was higher, this could have gone on for months. I’ve only
lost £13.50 but cannot think how it happened.
I have asked EE to stop any third person activity on my phone account, so
it can’t happen again . Otherats may wish to do this.
I'm glad - though somewhat amazed - that you _can_ do this! Of course,
you _ought_ to be able to, but I'm surprised you actually can. Thanks
for the tip.
And so, after the suggestion of approaching the PSA, I decided to dig
further.

The summary is that, despite pages of PSA analysis, detailing rules,
regulations, threats etc, the outcome (if you dig deep enough) is that
in most cases, the offenders were declared bankrupt ages ago.

If anyone has any accountancy training, I would be interested in their
interpretation of PSA accounts. [Last pages after the minutiae of how
much effort they put into working out what they should be doing].

https://psauthority.org.uk/-/media/Files/PSA/About_us/Annual-reports/Annual-Report-2016-2017-digital-version-updated.ashx?la=en

*with especial reference to accounting for fines.