Ask umra.
Add Reply
Steve Hague
2018-03-23 22:08:17 UTC
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me subscribe
to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a short list of
newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm partial to, and doesn't
give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird settings seem to be the
same as the ones I have here at home. Any thoughts?
Steve

---
2018-03-23 22:16:20 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me subscribe
to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a short list of
newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm partial to, and doesn't
give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird settings seem to be the
same as the ones I have here at home. Any thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it to
TB? ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to Eternal
September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my password, it
just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
Nick Odell
2018-03-24 00:37:35 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm partial
to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird settings
seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it to
TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to Eternal
September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my password, it
just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't could you put Thunderbird
Portable on a memory stick, set it up at home and then use it at work?

2018-03-24 13:38:51 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm
partial to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird
settings seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any
thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it to
TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to
Eternal September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my
password, it just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't could you put Thunderbird
Portable on a memory stick, set it up at home and then use it at work?
Nick
Right click on news.aioe.org Choose subscribe and use the refresh button?
Steve Hague
2018-03-24 15:15:41 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm
partial to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird
settings seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any
thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it
to TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to
Eternal September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my
password, it just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't could you put Thunderbird
Portable on a memory stick, set it up at home and then use it at work?
Nick
Right click on news.aioe.org  Choose subscribe and use the refresh button?
I must have tried that at least half a dozen times.

---
2018-03-24 15:27:12 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Over 40,000 newsgroups are then reported (too fast to read). Not sure
why that will not work.
Steve Hague
2018-03-24 15:14:10 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm
partial to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird
settings seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any
thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it to
TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to
Eternal September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my
password, it just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't could you put Thunderbird
Portable on a memory stick, set it up at home and then use it at work?
Nick
That's an idea Nick. I'll try it.

---
2018-03-24 16:01:47 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm
partial to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird
settings seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any
thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it
to TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to
Eternal September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my
password, it just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
Hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't could you put Thunderbird
Portable on a memory stick, set it up at home and then use it at work?
Nick
That's an idea Nick. I'll try it.
It's what I used to do when I was faced with a similar situation.
Putting any other software on work computers was very much frowned upon
but the USB stick was considered okay.

Nick
Steve Hague
2018-03-24 15:13:00 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me
subscribe to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a
short list of newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm partial
to, and doesn't give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird settings
seem to be the same as the ones I have here at home. Any thoughts?
Do you need a password to access aioe and, if so, have you given it to
TB?  ISTR having a similar problem to yours when I signed up to Eternal
September, as it allowed me to do so without giving it my password, it
just wouldn't give me any newsgroups!
aioe doesn't require a password.

---
Jane Vernon
2018-03-26 08:00:21 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have a new windows 10 computer at work, and it won't let me subscribe
to any newsgroups. Thunderbird recognises aioe and gives a short list of
newsgroups, not including umra or any others I'm partial to, and doesn't
give the option to subscribe. My Thunderbird settings seem to be the
same as the ones I have here at home. Any thoughts?
Steve
I would suggest that the clue is in the fact that the computer is at
work. This is because I have recently and seamlessly converted to
Windows 10 on two new laptops and don't seem to be doing anything
different to what you're doing, with one possibly exception.

I go to Roaming, and copy the whole Thunderbird profile onto a memory
stick. I then take the stick to the other computer and put the
Thunderbird folder into Roaming there and it all works seamlessly.

This works really well for visits of 10 days or more but would be a PITA
to do daily at work, of course. But it all works perfectly, which is
why I think there may be some sort of something (apols for lack of
technical terms) at work.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-03-26 08:44:52 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Just a thought: is the Win 10 installation a custom one? I remember that
the ‘image’ that my workplace used was a special customised one from
Micro$oft and not all features appear in these systems.
Jane Vernon
2018-03-26 17:26:37 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
It's not a custom installation on either of the machines I'm using.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-03-26 15:00:33 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
So, is this a matter of having TB on each machine and moving the data
between the two? I'm using TB Portable on a stick[1]. The whole caboodle
- program and all the data and settings - is contained in the thumbdrive
and the program is launched from there and doesn't exist on the host
computer's hard drive at all. It's not as quick as launching a program
from the hard drive but only involves going to the memory stick folder
and clicking on the program to launch it.

Nick
[1]Okay, well, not right at this very moment. I can't run TB Portable on
this Linux machine
Jane Vernon
2018-03-26 17:26:01 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Yes, that's what I'm doing.

Post by Nick Odell
- program and all the data and settings - is contained in the thumbdrive
and the program is launched from there and doesn't exist on the host
computer's hard drive at all. It's not as quick as launching a program
from the hard drive but only involves going to the memory stick folder
and clicking on the program to launch it.
TB Portable looked different from ordinary TB. Is it? It looked to me
as if I wouldn't be able to transfer my data from ordinary to Portable.
--
Jane
BTME

2018-03-27 03:45:40 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
- program and all the data and settings - is contained in the
thumbdrive and the program is launched from there and doesn't exist on
the host computer's hard drive at all. It's not as quick as launching
a program from the hard drive but only involves going to the memory
stick folder and clicking on the program to launch it.
TB Portable looked different from ordinary TB.  Is it?  It looked to me
as if I wouldn't be able to transfer my data from ordinary to Portable.
I'm not a sophisticated user of software and tend to use only the basic
functions of most programs so, with that limitation, I'd say that the
versions appear to me to be identical, the only difference being that
one is set up to run directly from the local drive and the other from
the dismountable one.