Ageist pig!
Vicky
2017-03-23 21:31:08 UTC

Go Usha!

And Lilian etc is getting boring.

I agree with Jill that the music in Aqua or any class is often too
loud and one can't hear the instructions over it. On the other hand I
don't like being shouted at. I suppose I never liked PE etc. I just do
things alone, except the tai chi classes were ok. Gransnet has had a
thread complaining about loud music and not being able to follow the
instructions today.

Apparently though there is something called Zumba Gold, for over 50s.
I did try Zumba once and found it hard to follow. I didn't really like
it. One class they had when we lived in Cambourne was chair-based
keep fit for over 55s and run by the Jazzercise teacher and some was
in chairs but some was dance moves to great 60s music and the moves
were complicated and one had to pay attention. The effort mentally to
follow is good for OAPs too. Some of those over-80s ladies who'd been
going for ages were pretty good at it.
Vicky
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-24 00:13:34 UTC
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
Post by Vicky
And Lilian etc is getting boring.
Though believable?
[]

"...told me to connect with the electorate, and I did!" John Prescott on
having punched the man who threw an egg at him (Top Gear, 2011-2-28)
Penny
2017-03-24 01:22:49 UTC
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 00:13:34 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
krw
2017-03-24 11:39:52 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
I would assume she was unable to play to a sufficient standard, no more
no less.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-03-24 13:47:30 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
I would assume she was unable to play to a sufficient standard, no more
no less.
Isn't it still useful for the team to have other people there to play
against? Even if they don't make it into the team they might be ok
after a bit to give some practise. And have they tried Usha as a
bowler? Can older people perhaps turn out ok at that?
Vicky
Chris McMillan
2017-03-24 14:34:42 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
I would assume she was unable to play to a sufficient standard, no more
no less.
As I do, but Usha is taking ambridge big time.

Sincerely Chris
Mike
2017-03-24 15:07:11 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
I would assume she was unable to play to a sufficient standard, no more
no less.
As I do, but Usha is taking ambridge big time.
Sincerely Chris
Perhaps Usha is going to run this one 'up to the wire' then realise that
lack of ability and coordination with a bat should not be confused with
race/ ethnicity/ gender or age. The alternative being that someone close
bites the bullet and tells Usha the blunt truth about her apparent lack of
cricketing skills. I cannot believe any well balanced of mind solicitor
would jump to conclusions as Usha has done.
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-24 21:14:44 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
[...]
I thought Harrison (I think it was him) came close enough that she'd
have to be fairly dense (which she isn't) not to understand that he
_was_ saying she was rubbish.

[I think she probably does realise it deep down - just doesn't want to
admit it, to herself above all else. I can sympathise - not over
cricket, about which I've never had any delusions about my lack of
ability (nor any great desire to partake), but about other things I know
really I'm not good at but wish I was better.]

It is dangerous to be sincere, unless you are also stupid. - George Bernard
Shaw
Btms
2017-03-24 21:37:57 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Mike
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
[...]
She should do a voluntary job. I find the delusions of adequacy in such
places quite alarming.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Marjorie
2017-03-26 16:31:16 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
[...]
She'll find it difficult to know which sort of discrimination to allege.
No one has said she's too old, too dark-skinned or too female, but she
may think one of those is the problem. Or perhaps she's got a visual
impairment, or she's dyspraxic, or walks with a limp.

OTOH she may just be rubbish at cricket.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Chris McMillan
2017-03-26 17:19:18 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Mike
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
[...]
My hunch is that as Carpet said Molly and Lily have promise, its the gender
one, she also accused him of backing down on the women's team.

Sincerely Chris
Btms
2017-03-26 18:00:15 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Mike
Perhaps Usha is going to run this one 'up to the wire' then realise that
lack of ability and coordination with a bat should not be confused with
race/ ethnicity/ gender or age. The alternative being that someone close
bites the bullet and tells Usha the blunt truth about her apparent lack of
cricketing skills. I cannot believe any well balanced of mind solicitor
would jump to conclusions as Usha has done.
She'll find it difficult to know which sort of discrimination to allege.
No one has said she's too old, too dark-skinned or too female, but she
may think one of those is the problem. Or perhaps she's got a visual
impairment, or she's dyspraxic, or walks with a limp.
OTOH she may just be rubbish at cricket.
It sounded to me as if she wanted to train and play but was accepting she
might not be good enough for the team. Seems reasonable but not if her
performance is a time waster for the rest of them.

One of my sons joined the local cricket team back in the day. It was
obvious that only the sons of the adult members ever got a chance to hold a
bat. Likewise the football club. Asked for money we didnt have for kit etc
for those who played in whatever league it was, whilst son never got any
kind of a game. Just fuelled the ego of the adults in charge. One also
wonders about other motives these days.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-26 19:59:10 UTC
In message
Post by Btms
Post by Marjorie
Post by Mike
Perhaps Usha is going to run this one 'up to the wire' then realise that
lack of ability and coordination with a bat should not be confused with
race/ ethnicity/ gender or age. The alternative being that someone close
bites the bullet and tells Usha the blunt truth about her apparent lack of
cricketing skills. I cannot believe any well balanced of mind solicitor
would jump to conclusions as Usha has done.
She'll find it difficult to know which sort of discrimination to allege.
No one has said she's too old, too dark-skinned or too female, but she
may think one of those is the problem. Or perhaps she's got a visual
impairment, or she's dyspraxic, or walks with a limp.
OTOH she may just be rubbish at cricket.
Listening again at the omnibus, we've been pussyfooting about: Harrison
definitely _told_ her "you're rubbish", when she pushed; no euphemism.
Post by Btms
It sounded to me as if she wanted to train and play but was accepting she
might not be good enough for the team. Seems reasonable but not if her
performance is a time waster for the rest of them.
Maybe I was right in my earlier post that she hasn't admitted _to
herself_ that she's rubbish (and not going to improve), and we'll just
have to wait for her _to_ admit it.
Post by Btms
One of my sons joined the local cricket team back in the day. It was
obvious that only the sons of the adult members ever got a chance to hold a
bat. Likewise the football club. Asked for money we didnt have for kit etc
for those who played in whatever league it was, whilst son never got any
kind of a game. Just fuelled the ego of the adults in charge. One also
wonders about other motives these days.
I think the Ambridge club is in sufficiently dire straits that any such
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
ready for that sort of thing yet - not that they wouldn't, just it's a
bit soon after the last Big Story. [And are there enough kids of the
right sort of age anyway.])

I don't think it's just "these days" - or did you mean we're now more up
on the wondering.

Sarcasm: Barbed ire
Vicky
2017-03-26 20:27:20 UTC
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 20:59:10 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Btms
One of my sons joined the local cricket team back in the day. It was
obvious that only the sons of the adult members ever got a chance to hold a
bat. Likewise the football club. Asked for money we didnt have for kit etc
for those who played in whatever league it was, whilst son never got any
kind of a game. Just fuelled the ego of the adults in charge. One also
wonders about other motives these days.
I think the Ambridge club is in sufficiently dire straits that any such
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
ready for that sort of thing yet - not that they wouldn't, just it's a
bit soon after the last Big Story. [And are there enough kids of the
right sort of age anyway.])
I don't think it's just "these days" - or did you mean we're now more up
on the wondering.
When I go to reply I see the quoted text but in the original post by
jpg and a few others today I just see QUOTED TEXT. No actual quoted
text. This is annoying.
Vicky
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-26 20:35:33 UTC
Post by Vicky
When I go to reply I see the quoted text but in the original post by
jpg and a few others today I just see QUOTED TEXT. No actual quoted
text. This is annoying.
I seem to remember this being a much vaunted option that people have
boasted about in Agent. I suspect you just have to click on something
to get the quoted text displayed.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. (Carroll Bryant)
p***@never.here
2017-03-27 11:16:51 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Btms
[...]
I think you are using Agent, if you are try pressing the letter Q that
should bring back the whole message.

hth
Pete
Btms
2017-03-26 20:37:45 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
One of my sons joined the local cricket team back in the day. It was
obvious that only the sons of the adult members ever got a chance to hold a
bat. Likewise the football club. Asked for money we didnt have for kit etc
for those who played in whatever league it was, whilst son never got any
kind of a game. Just fuelled the ego of the adults in charge. One also
wonders about other motives these days.
I think the Ambridge club is in sufficiently dire straits that any such
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
ready for that sort of thing yet - not that they wouldn't, just it's a
bit soon after the last Big Story. [And are there enough kids of the
right sort of age anyway.])
I don't think it's just "these days" - or did you mean we're now more up
on the wondering.
No direct parallel to Ambridge at all. Just observing that the organisers
of such activities are only interested in those who are the most talented.
Usha had a point imho.

Yes. We are less trusting "these days".... though personally I think I was
less trusting than most.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
kosmo
2017-03-27 07:04:14 UTC
Post by Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
As the editor is now in place are you not back to waiting?
kosmo
Btms
2017-03-27 07:31:17 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
As the editor is now in place are you not back to waiting?
Indeed, indeed. I have been considering my position. However, I remain a
little bitter and continue to whinge at every opportunity. I do hope my
mood moves on soon.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
kosmo
2017-03-27 09:05:41 UTC
Post by Btms
Indeed, indeed. I have been considering my position. However, I remain a
little bitter and continue to whinge at every opportunity. I do hope my
mood moves on soon.
I recommend a holiday. Warm and sunny in Paphos.
kosmo
Btms
2017-03-27 17:42:33 UTC
Post by Btms
mood moves on soon.
I recommend a holiday. Warm and sunny in Paphos.
Well, I am off to Hell, Bay Hotel soon. Not sure how warm it will be but
usually pleasant in the Spring.
Haven't been skiing this year. That is usually sunny and actually warm at
the top of Roschutte. (Sp)
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-27 17:47:00 UTC
In message
Post by Btms
Post by kosmo
Post by Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
As the editor is now in place are you not back to waiting?
Indeed, indeed. I have been considering my position. However, I remain a
little bitter
May we call you Angostura? (And/or are you a Broonette?)
[]

But remember, in a permissive society, it is also permissible to stay at home
and have a nice cup of tea instead. Andrew Collins, RT 2015/2/14-20
Btms
2017-03-27 18:20:15 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by Btms
Post by kosmo
Post by Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
As the editor is now in place are you not back to waiting?
Indeed, indeed. I have been considering my position. However, I remain a
little bitter
May we call you Angostura? (And/or are you a Broonette?)
[]
Hmm? I think I am what is called prematurely blonde.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Peter Percival
2017-03-26 21:15:36 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
Savile - he was one 'ell of a guy.
to me what you really mean.
Mike
2017-03-27 07:50:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
Savile - he was one 'ell of a guy.
Safe as 'ouses?
Toodle Pip
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-27 17:45:53 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Peter Percival
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
cronyism is long gone. (As for the Saville aspect, I don't think they're
Savile - he was one 'ell of a guy.
Are you row-ing with me?
Safe as 'ouses?

Nick Odell
2017-03-26 23:46:33 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Listening again at the omnibus, we've been pussyfooting about: Harrison
definitely _told_ her "you're rubbish", when she pushed; no euphemism.
Maybe it's not just the pussy footing that Usha's complaining about?

Nick
Steve Hague
2017-03-24 17:07:16 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Go Usha!
Difficult. I assumed she was suggesting he might be racially prejudiced,
or genderally (?) so [his comment about helping Fallon certainly
suggested that, though more on a not-thinking basis than deliberate
prejudice]. However, if she _is_ genuinely rubbish at cricket and shows
no sign of improving, then if she insists on staying in the running, it
could cause problems - such as accusations of positive discrimination
(on gender grounds).
I'd assumed she was suggesting age discrimination, Usha is 55.
I played my last league cricket match when I was in my early forties.
It's not like crown green bowls or croquet, it's a game that makes
certain hard physical demands. Perhaps the England selectors are being
ageist in not picking Ian Botham. Nobody has a better all round record
for England. So what if he's 61 years old?
Steve
Marjorie
2017-03-24 09:06:02 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
They might be OK at that, but I could be pretty sure they'd be rubbish
at cricket, just as Usha is. It's not ageist to say that. If she's never
held a bat or bowled a ball before, and has shown that she's useless at
it now, there's very little chance of her improving substantially, or
even being athletic enough to be any asset to the team, in her mid 50s.
The teenagers, on the other hand, have a good chance of becoming
stronger and more skillful as they progress. That's not ageist, it's the
sad truth. Otherwise they could let Jill start to train at nets, or Henry.

krw
2017-03-24 11:41:04 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Vicky
[...]
Henry should be training. His father should be bringing him along every
week and he would soon show some of these women how to play the game.
He has been using a proper ball for at least a year now.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-03-24 15:56:30 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Marjorie
Post by Vicky
[...]
Unlike my West Indian childhood. We all used tennis balls and perhaps this
enabled a boldness in relation to the ball.

Anyway, most folk fail to watch the ball and miss it as a result. Otoh you
can't see it coming at you when it is hurtling down the pitch from a fast
bowler. In those circumstances, the intuitive batsman will still score.
BTMS - Usurped as County Captain of Borchester.
Fenny
2017-03-24 21:03:39 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Marjorie
They might be OK at that, but I could be pretty sure they'd be rubbish
at cricket, just as Usha is. It's not ageist to say that. If she's never
held a bat or bowled a ball before, and has shown that she's useless at
it now, there's very little chance of her improving substantially, or
even being athletic enough to be any asset to the team, in her mid 50s.
The teenagers, on the other hand, have a good chance of becoming
stronger and more skillful as they progress. That's not ageist, it's the
sad truth. Otherwise they could let Jill start to train at nets, or Henry.
Henry should be training. His father should be bringing him along every
week and he would soon show some of these women how to play the game.
He has been using a proper ball for at least a year now.
I'm sure if Henry's father knew his sperm had resulted in Henry, he
might take him to cricket training.

OTOH, his "Daddy" has been ordered to stay away from him. But there's
nothing to stop his granddad or Uncle Tom or Johnny from taking him to
training.
Fenny
Peter Percival
2017-03-24 17:22:17 UTC
Vicky wrote:

There seems to be a belief that discrimination is wrong. How can it be?
We all discriminate, of necessity, all of the time. Someone who is
selecting people to do physically demanding tasks will discriminate
against middle-aged people. And they would be a steaming idiot if they
didn't.

I once applied for a job as a library assistant and at the job interview
I was asked how I would ensure that I didn't treat people in a
discriminatory way. I replied that I would do quite the opposite. For
example, I said, if I was manning an enquiry desk and someone asked me
where they could find books about dinosaurs I would give different
answers to eight year olds and eight year olds.

I didn't get the job. That would have been either because I said
"manning" instead of "personing", or because I don't know how to
hyphenate "eight year olds" and "eight year olds".