Help: Thunderbird ate my mail
2018-05-13 17:48:16 UTC
I just tried to archive some mail from an IMAP mailbox to a Local
Folders one. Something happened :( They disappeared for a moment, then
reappeared in the archive folder with no content at all, just the
titles. I used the proper 'move' command and everything.

Fortunately I mirror that mailbox in a gmail account, so I can retrieve
the text of those that were sent to me (which mostly have my original
quoted). It will look messy but I'll be able to reconstruct things.

But how does this happen? And does anyone have an idea where the content
went? I've tried the 'Recover Deleted Messages' add-on, but it doesn't
find anything.

Bit fed-up.
2018-05-15 08:58:16 UTC
Post by Kate B
I just tried to archive some mail from an IMAP mailbox to a Local
Folders one. Something happened :(  They disappeared for a moment, then
reappeared in the archive folder with no content at all, just the
titles. I used the proper 'move' command and everything.
Fortunately I mirror that mailbox in a gmail account, so I can retrieve
the text of those that were sent to me (which mostly have my original
quoted). It will look messy but I'll be able to reconstruct things.
But how does this happen? And does anyone have an idea where the content
went? I've tried the 'Recover Deleted Messages' add-on, but it doesn't
find anything.
Bit fed-up.
This is probably of no use to you whatsoever but I've seen this message
lying unanswered by anybody for so long I didn't want you to think it
had got lost in the ether.

I don't know the answer. Doesn't IMAP mean that all the messages are
still on the server? If you made a new instance of Thunderbird and
pointed it at the mail, wouldn't they all appear in it?

I use Thunderbird in plain vanilla mode with no customisation and no
add-ons and every year without being asked to it creates a new archive
and stuffs all the relevant messages in there. If you make a new
instance of Thunderbird and point it at your IMAP mail hopefully it
might do the same.

2018-05-15 09:17:25 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
Nick
Thank you very much for noticing! I was worrying that it had got lost,
perhaps in the same bucket as my lost emails... Sadly, those have
completely disappeared from the online mailbox. They reappeared in the
archive folder eventually, but just their subjects and no content
whatsoever (coming in at 0.2kB). They seem to have been stripped during
the 'move' process. It has in fact happened before but not for some
time. I didn't find any usable advice then.
p***@never.here
2018-05-16 09:33:41 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Kate B
[...]
Can't help as I don't use Thunderbird, but it might be worth asking
in:

mozilla.support.thunderbird.

The problem may have cropped up before.
--