Ask EU, life on the south island
Paul Herber
2018-02-22 11:06:07 UTC
Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island (George?). Does
anyone else here have any experience of life there?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-02-22 11:22:55 UTC
In message
<***@news.eternal-september.org>, Paul
Herber <***@pherber.com> writes:
>Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island
>(George?). Does
>anyone else here have any experience of life there?

No, other than going for an interview with Plessey Radar there in 198x.

An interesting point about the south island, that came up on an old QI
overnight, though - and they said that they (QI) had actually discovered
this fact - was that Rutland (which came back into existence as a county
in 199x) is only the smallest county for about half the time. (The south
island is a county in its own right.)

IIRR, we also have or have had UMRAts in NZ, though I don't know on
which of _those_ islands.

"The people here are more educated and intelligent. Even stupid people in
Britain are smarter than Americans." Madonna, in RT 30 June-6July 2001 (page
32)
Kate B
2018-02-22 11:42:20 UTC
On 22/02/2018 11:22, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:.

> An interesting point about the south island, that came up on an old QI
> overnight, though - and they said that they (QI) had actually discovered
> this fact - was that Rutland (which came back into existence as a county
> in 199x) is only the smallest county for about half the time. (The south
> island is a county in its own right.)

'half the time'? Do you mean when the tide is out around the south island?

2018-02-22 16:50:24 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Kate B
<***@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
>On 22/02/2018 11:22, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:.
>>>
>> An interesting point about the south island, that came up on an old
>>QI overnight, though - and they said that they (QI) had actually
>>discovered this fact - was that Rutland (which came back into
>>existence as a county in 199x) is only the smallest county for about
>>half the time. (The south island is a county in its own right.)
>
>'half the time'? Do you mean when the tide is out around the south island?

Correct! That's what they said on QI, anyway: it's larger than Rutland
at low tide, smaller at high.

aibohphobia, n., The fear of palindromes.
Sam Plusnet
2018-02-24 21:11:59 UTC
On 22-Feb-18 11:22, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message
> <***@news.eternal-september.org>, Paul
> Herber <***@pherber.com> writes:
>> Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island
>> (George?). Does
>> anyone else here have any experience of life there?
>>
> No, other than going for an interview with Plessey Radar there in 198x.
>>
> An interesting point about the south island, that came up on an old QI
> overnight, though - and they said that they (QI) had actually discovered
> this fact - was that Rutland (which came back into existence as a county
> in 199x) is only the smallest county for about half the time. (The south
> island is a county in its own right.)
>>
> IIRR, we also have or have had UMRAts in NZ, though I don't know on
> which of _those_ islands.
It occurs to me that some might think "South Island" refers to the Isle
of Portland (which isn't a county of course).

2018-02-22 12:12:39 UTC

I think Andy Roberts lives there, but not sure he lives here anymore....
Chris McMillan
2018-02-22 12:44:09 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 12:06, Paul Herber wrote:
>> Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island (George?). Does
>> anyone else here have any experience of life there?
>>
> I think Andy Roberts lives there, but not sure he lives here anymore....

Indeed Andy does, he’s on facebook. I have friends there. Costs a fortune
to get off/on the island. The current downturn has affected the high
street. Our family lived there for a number of decades: Impossible to get
about in the summer by car. Far less crime.

A lot of serious medical problems, you have to go to Southampton (my friend
had to for daily radiotherapy cancer treatment midwinter as an example: she
wasn’t a chemo person).

She and husband moved from mainland to be with family, they wouldn’t come
back despite the difficulties.

On the other hand, family found they missed a lot of the exhibitions,
festivals, and once their personal connection with living there ended, they
returned here.

Any help?

2018-02-22 14:22:52 UTC
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:06:07 +0000, Paul Herber <***@pherber.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island (George?). Does
>anyone else here have any experience of life there?

I've visited many times and have family on the Island, some of whom moved
away to work and back to retire (and care for aged Ps).

Andy Roberts has been thriving there for some years, growing exotic veg and
singing/playing in pubs.

I have known others who retired there, missed their old friends (who found
it expensive to visit) and moved back.
2018-02-22 14:53:02 UTC
On 22/02/2018 15:22, Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:06:07 +0000, Paul Herber <***@pherber.com> scrawled
> in the dust...
>
>> Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island (George?). Does
>> anyone else here have any experience of life there?
>
> I've visited many times and have family on the Island, some of whom moved
> away to work and back to retire (and care for aged Ps).
>
> Andy Roberts has been thriving there for some years, growing exotic veg and
> singing/playing in pubs.

Andy has just confirmed that he is not on usenet anymore but you can
contact him through FB.
Sid Nuncius
2018-02-23 07:43:45 UTC
On 22/02/2018 14:53, BrritSki wrote:
> On 22/02/2018 15:22, Penny wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:06:07 +0000, Paul Herber <***@pherber.com>
>> scrawled
>> in the dust...
>>
>>> Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south
>>> island (George?). Does
>>> anyone else here have any experience of life there?
>>
>> I've visited many times and have family on the Island, some of whom moved
>> away to work and back to retire (and care for aged Ps).
>>
>> Andy Roberts has been thriving there for some years, growing exotic
>> veg and
>> singing/playing in pubs.
>
> Andy has just confirmed that he is not on usenet anymore but you can
> contact him through FB.

Hang on. "Singing and playing in pubs"? Does that mean that the Andy
Roberts who used to post here is the Andy Roberts of Grimms, Plainsong
etc. and responsible for some solo albums (including his second) which I
have always loved?

If so, being able to hear him in local pubs is a good reason to move to
the South Island, IMO.

2018-02-23 11:11:03 UTC
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:43:45 +0000, Sid Nuncius <***@tesco.net>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 22/02/2018 14:53, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 22/02/2018 15:22, Penny wrote:

>>> Andy Roberts has been thriving there for some years, growing exotic
>>> veg and
>>> singing/playing in pubs.
>>
>> Andy has just confirmed that he is not on usenet anymore but you can
>> contact him through FB.
>
>Hang on. "Singing and playing in pubs"? Does that mean that the Andy
>Roberts who used to post here is the Andy Roberts of Grimms, Plainsong
>etc. and responsible for some solo albums (including his second) which I
>have always loved?

I refer the honourable umrat to Andy's Andy Roberts FAQ
<http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rob/arfaq.htm>

You can find our Andy's music here
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRUL5oSpYTbIxMtKwFFdBvA>
2018-02-23 13:01:14 UTC
On 23/02/18 11:11, Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:43:45 +0000, Sid Nuncius <***@tesco.net>
> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Andy has just confirmed that he is not on usenet anymore but you can
>>> contact him through FB.
>>
>> Hang on. "Singing and playing in pubs"? Does that mean that the Andy
>> Roberts who used to post here is the Andy Roberts of Grimms, Plainsong
>> etc. and responsible for some solo albums (including his second) which I
>> have always loved?
>
> I refer the honourable umrat to Andy's Andy Roberts FAQ
> <http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rob/arfaq.htm>
>
> You can find our Andy's music here
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRUL5oSpYTbIxMtKwFFdBvA>

In a similar vein, I went to York to see Dave Gorman play second support
to my son's band, Dear Friends. Not only wasn't he the comedian Dave
Gorman but he wasn't (AFAIK) one of the Dave Gormans included in Dave
Gorman's book, Are You Dave Gorman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Dave_Gorman%3F

2018-02-24 07:01:05 UTC
On 23/02/2018 11:11, Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:43:45 +0000, Sid Nuncius <***@tesco.net>
> scrawled in the dust...

>>> Andy has just confirmed that he is not on usenet anymore but you can
>>> contact him through FB.
>>
>> Hang on. "Singing and playing in pubs"? Does that mean that the Andy
>> Roberts who used to post here is the Andy Roberts of Grimms, Plainsong
>> etc. and responsible for some solo albums (including his second) which I
>> have always loved?
>
> I refer the honourable umrat to Andy's Andy Roberts FAQ
> <http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rob/arfaq.htm>
>
> You can find our Andy's music here
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRUL5oSpYTbIxMtKwFFdBvA>

Thanks, Penny.
2018-02-22 17:00:17 UTC
[]

Nick Odell
2018-02-22 15:00:56 UTC
On 22/02/18 11:06, Paul Herber wrote:
> Hi all, I remember ages ago we had an Umrat living on our south island (George?). Does
> anyone else here have any experience of life there?

I parsed south island george as South Georgia Island - possibly because
I received an email this morning about a friend who has just returned
from a tour of duty in a little cluster of islands north of there with a
"Caution, Landmines" sign in her baggage because the sign is considered
redundant now they have (hopefully) cleared them all up.

Nick
Paul Herber
2018-02-23 09:14:55 UTC
Many thanks, all. Much to consider and cogitate on for the future.
Maybe it will all turn into fresh water under the bridge.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2018-02-23 13:03:37 UTC
On 23/02/18 09:14, Paul Herber wrote:
> Many thanks, all. Much to consider and cogitate on for the future.
> Maybe it will all turn into fresh water under the bridge.

Bridge? I didn't know they had a bridge.

2018-02-23 14:16:00 UTC
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:03:37 +0000, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>On 23/02/18 09:14, Paul Herber wrote:
>> Many thanks, all. Much to consider and cogitate on for the future.
>> Maybe it will all turn into fresh water under the bridge.
>>

>Bridge? I didn't know they had a bridge.

They've had a lot of trouble with the Cowes floating bridge recently - paid
out for a new one which doesn't fit or something (one of my cousins [once
removed] followed his grandfather and greatgrandfathers' footsteps and
writes for the paper).