OT Cheese
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-09-17 21:37:19 UTC
My wife found a little book on Austrian desserts. Unfortunately the English is American to the point of incomprehensibilty. What is "Baker's Cheese"?

Wikipedia is usually quite good on Americanisms, does not know this expression.

Context suggests it might be "Topfen", the Austrian name for "Quark", but does anyone know for certain?

Tony
Penny
2018-09-17 22:08:51 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
My wife found a little book on Austrian desserts. Unfortunately the English is American to the point of incomprehensibilty. What is "Baker's Cheese"?
Wikipedia is usually quite good on Americanisms, does not know this expression.
Context suggests it might be "Topfen", the Austrian name for "Quark", but does anyone know for certain?
Google found me this:
Baker's cheese is a fresh, soft, somewhat tangy cheese, in the
cream-cheese, farmer's-cheese, fromage-frais, queso-fresco family – which
is to say, the fresh or unripened cheeses. Some people will tell you
baker's cheese is nothing more than cottage cheese that has been drained of
some of its whey.

From this forum - maybe it's the same recipe?
http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net/t942-bakers-cheese

Fresh cheese is fairly easy to make - whether it will work in the expected
way in your recipe is another matter.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Mike
2018-09-18 07:36:53 UTC
Post by Penny
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
My wife found a little book on Austrian desserts. Unfortunately the
English is American to the point of incomprehensibilty. What is "Baker's Cheese"?
Wikipedia is usually quite good on Americanisms, does not know this expression.
Context suggests it might be "Topfen", the Austrian name for "Quark",
but does anyone know for certain?
Baker's cheese is a fresh, soft, somewhat tangy cheese, in the
cream-cheese, farmer's-cheese, fromage-frais, queso-fresco family – which
is to say, the fresh or unripened cheeses. Some people will tell you
baker's cheese is nothing more than cottage cheese that has been drained of
some of its whey.
From this forum - maybe it's the same recipe?
http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net/t942-bakers-cheese
Fresh cheese is fairly easy to make - whether it will work in the expected
way in your recipe is another matter.
What I found is similar to that which Penny found; one contribution said:
“This is a cut and paste answer:
Baker's cheese is a fresh, soft, somewhat tangy cheese, in the
cream-cheese, farmer's-cheese, fromage-frais, queso-fresco family –
which is to say, the fresh or unripened cheeses.
Some people will tell you baker's cheese is nothing more than cottage
cheese that has been drained of some of its whey. Do not listen to those
people. We side with those who say it is a cheese in its own right, made
from skim milk (therefore lower in fat), and softer, with a finer grain and
more moisture than cottage cheese. (Clearly baker's cheese would have less
moisture than cottage cheese if it were simply drained cottage cheese.)
Needless to say, baker's cheese is hard to find. It has generally been
available only to foodservice buyers. Only two sources at the Savor
Wisconsin Web site sells baker's cheese, and if you can't easily find
something like that in Wisconsin, where are you going to turn?
There are those who swear that a cheesecake made with anything other than
baker's cheese is not a real cheesecake. Given the difficulty of obtaining
baker's cheese, we can't afford to listen to those people.
In Britain, lactic cheese, Colwick cheese, and Cottager's Cheese (not to be
mistaken for cottage cheese) are the closest alternates. “

I’ll restrain from any cheesy puns at this stage.
Toodle Pip
Jim Easterbrook
2018-09-18 07:45:19 UTC
Post by Mike
I’ll restrain from any cheesy puns at this stage.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Mike McMillan?
--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>
Mike
2018-09-18 10:42:49 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
I’ll restrain from any cheesy puns at this stage.
Who are you and what have you done with the real Mike McMillan?
I feel I should respond very Caerphilly to that, I know he would not
Stilton the puns were he here, he may have been taken by the curds, don’t
Cheddar tear as I am sure he’ll be back soon.
Toodle Pip
Kate B
2018-09-17 22:10:40 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
My wife found a little book on Austrian desserts. Unfortunately the English is American to the point of incomprehensibilty. What is "Baker's Cheese"?
Wikipedia is usually quite good on Americanisms, does not know this expression.
Context suggests it might be "Topfen", the Austrian name for "Quark", but does anyone know for certain?
Tony
I can't remember anything like Baeckerkaese in Austrian cooking, and a
google search in German doesn't reing anything up either. Topfen is used
a great deal in Austrian sweet and savoury pastries. If you could quote
a recipe with the words in it, Vicky or I may come up with something.
--
Kate B
London
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-09-17 22:27:32 UTC
Baker's cheese is an ingredient in the book's "topfenstrudel".
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-18 07:49:37 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Baker's cheese is an ingredient in the book's "topfenstrudel".
I will try and remember to check but not today. Childcare duty today
with the granddaughter who is now only funded for 15 hours, not the
expected 30 a week :( . Mum suggested we go to a cafe/play place and
checking the menu I see they do waffles, so I am hoping for a nice
lunch :) . I was planning bagels and houmus in the park but it just
started to rain here, weather forecast notwithstanding.
Kate B
2018-09-18 09:51:03 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Baker's cheese is an ingredient in the book's "topfenstrudel".
There you go. It is indeed Topfen which is Quark which is similar to
Ricotta and also known as Curd Cheese (ie soft unripened white cheese
with very little or no salt), wrapped up in strudel or filo pastry,
probably with a little sugar and possibly raisins or even apricot jam?

Yum!
--
Kate B
London
LFS
2018-09-18 11:21:27 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
Baker's cheese is an ingredient in the book's "topfenstrudel".
There you go. It is indeed Topfen which is Quark which is similar to
Ricotta and also known as Curd Cheese (ie soft unripened white cheese
with very little or no salt), wrapped up in strudel or filo pastry,
probably with a little sugar and possibly raisins or even apricot jam?
Yum!
I haven't seen curd cheese for many years. Makes the best baked
cheesecake. Used to buy it from the deli, wrapped in grease-proof paper.
Supermarkets used to sell it but it disappeared when quark appeared on
the shelves and that isn't quite the same. I experimented with making it
but whatever milk I used it was never very successful. I now use Philly
for cheesecakes but it's got a very artificial feel to it.

This has reminded me of the delicious cheese curds I ate in Wisconsin.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-18 20:35:56 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
[...]
The recipe I got from my mum for topfentorte is 3/4 pound of curd
cheese and 1/4 cream cheese. Well I think she might just have used
curd but I liked it creamier. You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-09-18 21:38:37 UTC
I asked an American who rings at our church about Baker's Cheese and she had never heard of it.
Penny
2018-09-18 22:44:43 UTC
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:35:56 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys
That's where I used to get it (one of my infants liked it) until I decided
to make my own - which didn't last long due to the revelation of cows milk
intolerance. Hmm, I wonder why I never tried making it from goat milk...
Nick Odell
2018-09-19 00:33:26 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys
That's where I used to get it (one of my infants liked it) until I decided
to make my own - which didn't last long due to the revelation of cows milk
intolerance. Hmm, I wonder why I never tried making it from goat milk...
I make the simple curd cheeses like ricotta and requeson - though to be
honest it's a bit hit-or-miss whether I end up with the one or the other.

I bookmarked this a couple of years ago but haven't found the tuits to
do much with it yet.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/diy-dairy-how-to-make-cheese-at-home/

Nick
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-19 10:34:35 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys
That's where I used to get it (one of my infants liked it) until I decided
to make my own - which didn't last long due to the revelation of cows milk
intolerance. Hmm, I wonder why I never tried making it from goat milk...
Since Pat has goats, presumably organic ones, I wonder why we don't
hear about Helen making goats' milk cheese as well as cows' .
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-19 11:02:37 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys
That's where I used to get it (one of my infants liked it) until I decided
to make my own - which didn't last long due to the revelation of cows milk
intolerance. Hmm, I wonder why I never tried making it from goat milk...
Since Pat has goats, presumably organic ones, I wonder why we don't
hear about Helen making goats' milk cheese as well as cows' .
Isn't it all allocated? ISTR some discussion in the past few weeks (was
it that woman who Tom [?] brought in to look at how the farm was run?)
where the question of increasing the numbers was raised, but someone
answered we have all we need (I _thought_ it was something like "Mum's
hobby gives us all we need"). It might not have been goats under
discussion, but I thought it was - and if I'm right, that would imply
that the goat's milk is already used for something else.

In science, the more you know what you're looking at, the more magical it
becomes. - Professor Brian Cox, in RT 2017/7/15-21
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 11:32:27 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys
That's where I used to get it (one of my infants liked it) until I decided
to make my own - which didn't last long due to the revelation of cows milk
intolerance. Hmm, I wonder why I never tried making it from goat milk...
Since Pat has goats, presumably organic ones, I wonder why we don't
hear about Helen making goats' milk cheese as well as cows' .
Isn't it all allocated? ISTR some discussion in the past few weeks (was
it that woman who Tom [?] brought in to look at how the farm was run?)
where the question of increasing the numbers was raised, but someone
answered we have all we need (I _thought_ it was something like "Mum's
hobby gives us all we need"). It might not have been goats under
discussion, but I thought it was - and if I'm right, that would imply
that the goat's milk is already used for something else.
Yes, for the infamous goats' milk kefir. We haven't heard of anyone
actually liking the kefir (whether cow or goat), which suggests to me
that they are doing something wrong - I really like the stuff (although
I haven't tried the goat variety). I'd have thought that anyone who
likes plain, natural yoghurt (not exactly a rare preference) would
consider kefir to be at least OK.

I don't think Pat's goat herd is very large but, assuming they haven't
got a large, albeit silent, pool of customers for it, it could well be a
good idea to try a bit of cheese making with it instead.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Families are like fudge....mostly sweet with a few nuts.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-19 21:25:08 UTC
[]
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Yes; if only for the satisfaction of seeing Susan's nose put out of
joint. (OK, goat cheese is a niche market - but I'm pretty sure it'd
sell better than the Kefir. Especially if Helen - who we assume has
_some_ skill in the area - manages it.)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 21:36:40 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Yes, it's a niche market but it's the same niche market that they've
already, presumably, got a decent footing in with their other cheeses.
That would make it far easier for them to establish a market for an
artisan goats' cheese than it has been to find a market for their kefir.
--
Best wishes, Serena
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
krw
2018-09-19 22:07:18 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.

OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Sally Thompson
2018-09-19 22:39:23 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Well it wouldn't, would it, since I assume it was dead.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
krw
2018-09-19 22:49:23 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Well it wouldn't, would it, since I assume it was dead.
Complete with shot.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Mike
2018-09-20 07:20:33 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
But, shirley, grouse is to complain?!
Toodle Pip
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-20 09:46:01 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
But, shirley, grouse is to complain?!
Is that what they call it these days? Used to be grouse as in grouse and
duck.

RnT
BrritSki
2018-09-20 11:47:57 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Mike
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses.  There
is a quite a market I would suggest.  Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot.  It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years.  I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
But, shirley, grouse is to complain?!
Is that what they call it these days? Used to be grouse as in grouse and
duck.
Duck or grouse shirley ?

DINTAFPOU
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-20 15:31:56 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Mike
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses.  There
is a quite a market I would suggest.  Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot.  It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years.  I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
But, shirley, grouse is to complain?!
Is that what they call it these days? Used to be grouse as in grouse
and duck.
Duck or grouse shirley ?
DINTAFPOU
Nah, rhyming slag is supposed to rhyme.

RnT
krw
2018-09-20 15:51:42 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by BrritSki
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses.
There
is a quite a market I would suggest.  Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot.  It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years.  I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
But, shirley, grouse is to complain?!
Is that what they call it these days? Used to be grouse as in grouse
and duck.
Duck or grouse shirley ?
DINTAFPOU
Nah, rhyming slag is supposed to rhyme.
RnT
Who you calling a slag?
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-09-20 08:20:05 UTC
On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 23:07:21 UTC+1, krw wrote:

<snipped>
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
There is also ewe's milk cheese. Hate Roquefort, love Manchego.

We have a friend who claims an allergy to ewe's milk cheese (and lamb, mutton, sheep's wool) but nevertheless she and her husband own a few sheep.
Sid Nuncius
2018-09-20 08:55:26 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
There is also ewe's milk cheese. Hate Roquefort, love Manchego.
I love both. Plus Ossau-Iraty, which is a real favourite of mine, and
Pecorino Romano.

I'm sure you all wanted to know that.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-20 09:50:36 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses.  There
is a quite a market I would suggest.  Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
There is also ewe's milk cheese. Hate Roquefort, love Manchego.
I love both. Plus Ossau-Iraty, which is a real favourite of mine, and
Pecorino Romano.
I'm sure you all wanted to know that.
I like a good ripe Munster myself, although I understand it's classed as
a munition and may be prohibited under the Geneva Conventions.

RnT
John Ashby
2018-09-20 15:41:53 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses.  There
is a quite a market I would suggest.  Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
There is also ewe's milk cheese. Hate Roquefort, love Manchego.
I love both. Plus Ossau-Iraty, which is a real favourite of mine, and
Pecorino Romano.
I'm sure you all wanted to know that.
I like a good ripe Munster myself, although I understand it's classed as
a munition and may be prohibited under the Geneva Conventions.
RnT
I saw that Chaplin film about 55 years ago.

john
Chris McMillan
2018-09-20 13:32:40 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
There is also ewe's milk cheese. Hate Roquefort, love Manchego.
I quite like the very strong Manchego which I found lurking in Lidl the
other week. Vicenta, mistress of all food Spanish, has given me
instructions if I see the mild Manchego any week, buy it for her. It
appears, occasionally, never more than one pack in a sort of lucky dip
speciality cheese box in our not hypermarket Lidl. Convinced it’s sent out
from the hypermarket sized shops when they have too much.
She has never taken to the taste of an English strong cheese despite 58
years here.

sincerely Chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-20 14:40:24 UTC
In message <YjNoD.527408$***@fx07.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
[]
Post by Chris McMillan
I quite like the very strong Manchego which I found lurking in Lidl the
other week. Vicenta, mistress of all food Spanish, has given me
instructions if I see the mild Manchego any week, buy it for her. It
[]
I found lurking in my Lidl (Ashford), some "Turrón de Cacao" -
"Chocolate 7 Puffed Rice Turrón" - which I'd last seen at least 2 years
ago; a dense what it says - chocolate with puffed rice in it. I
initially bought it just to try and because it seemed good value based
on raw weight, but I - and my blind friend - like it; but, look (and
even ask) as I might, they've not had it in since, so when I spotted it
on Saturday, I bought eight bars - might seem excessive, but it might
have to last me another two years ...

"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
he who dares not is a slave."
- Sir William Drummond

Above all things, use your mind.
Don't be that bigot, fool, or slave.
Mike
2018-09-21 07:46:28 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Chris McMillan
I quite like the very strong Manchego which I found lurking in Lidl the
other week. Vicenta, mistress of all food Spanish, has given me
instructions if I see the mild Manchego any week, buy it for her. It
[]
I found lurking in my Lidl (Ashford), some "Turrón de Cacao" -
"Chocolate 7 Puffed Rice Turrón" - which I'd last seen at least 2 years
ago; a dense what it says - chocolate with puffed rice in it. I
initially bought it just to try and because it seemed good value based
on raw weight, but I - and my blind friend - like it; but, look (and
even ask) as I might, they've not had it in since, so when I spotted it
on Saturday, I bought eight bars - might seem excessive, but it might
have to last me another two years ...
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Toodle Pip
Penny
2018-09-21 08:14:40 UTC
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 07:46:28 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Nick Odell
2018-09-21 08:35:52 UTC
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.

Nick
SODAM
2018-09-21 09:12:51 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Morpeth and Alnwick are widdershins.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-21 09:51:50 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Morpeth and Alnwick are widdershins.
Both the one in Partick and the one in the city centre are widdershins
so I'm unable to falsify the hypothesis here. Other Glasgow Lidls are
available.

RnT
Chris McMillan
2018-09-23 17:33:09 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Morpeth and Alnwick are widdershins.
Both the one in Partick and the one in the city centre are widdershins
so I'm unable to falsify the hypothesis here. Other Glasgow Lidls are
available.
RnT
As our only correspondent, you’ll have to visit them all. You have the
bus pass

Sincerely Chris
John Ashby
2018-09-21 09:13:32 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are
allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Oxford also goes with the sun.

john (of course I only shop there so I can afford to shop in Waitrose)
Mike
2018-09-21 13:05:34 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Oxford also goes with the sun.
john (of course I only shop there so I can afford to shop in Waitrose)
Err.... is that w or c, I’m unsure what east to west amounts to?
Toodle Pip
John Ashby
2018-09-21 15:44:57 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by John Ashby
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Oxford also goes with the sun.
john (of course I only shop there so I can afford to shop in Waitrose)
Err.... is that w or c, I’m unsure what east to west amounts to?
East *to South* to West.

john
Mike
2018-09-21 17:45:44 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Mike
Post by John Ashby
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
Oxford also goes with the sun.
john (of course I only shop there so I can afford to shop in Waitrose)
Err.... is that w or c, I’m unsure what east to west amounts to?
East *to South* to West.
john
OIC clockwise then!
Toodle Pip
Penny
2018-09-21 13:30:02 UTC
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 10:13:32 +0100, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by John Ashby
Oxford also goes with the sun.
Um, yes, they all stay still but in which direction do you orbit it?
Steve Hague
2018-09-21 09:56:18 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are
allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Both Huddersfield branches are clockwise.
Nick
The Pool (Redruth) branch is clockwise.
Steve
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-21 10:17:59 UTC
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Ashford and Folkestone are anticlockwise; Newcastle (Shields Road) and
Maidstone are clockwise.

Society has the right to punish wrongdoing; it doesn't have the right to make
punishment a form of entertainment. This is where things have gone wrong:
humiliating other people has become both a blood sport and a narcotic.
- Joe Queenan, RT 2015/6/27-7/3
Btms
2018-09-24 13:48:01 UTC
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
I notice that the Lidls we have graced with our presence are allwiddershins
and, knowing they use a formulaic layout where possible, wondered if anyrat
has encountered a clockwise layout?
Our local branch is widdershins but those in Swindon and Redditch are
clockwise.
Yebut Swindon isBout 20 miles. Newbury is nearer but no much parking ans
about nine miles.
E e have a small house in rock near wadebridge in Cornwall. Lidls in
wadebridge and when there we love it use small private shops in rock a we
can walk. Bit pricey maybe but cornwall So dpenden t on Short tourist
season high unemployment low wages etc. We try to use local labour. We
let our house throughlocal agents. We engage with community but do notsail
or play golf. Grief this sounds pretentious. Apols. We are not in a
social circle.
-- Don’t eat out much. Yes we have been to ruck Stein’s for a treat.
Nice experience but notkeen on fish. One or two course s at his cookery
school. Brilliant. Of course he is not there. In my goof that club he had
inPadstow was a bit of a hole. Nice young ladies like me would not have
been sen there. Reputation s were important back then You get the gist?
Cornwall is Essen a poor county with pockets of imported wealth and an
appeals,much not those who enefitted from thAtchers Bring. Go and enjo and
prepare to be robbed in the eateries. Ok many love it. Style over
substance all too often for me.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-24 14:05:28 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Penny
in the dust...
Post by Mike
[...]
I've got a few cousins living in South-West Cornwall and my mother used
to go down there quite often to see them. She always likened it to Cold
Comfort Farm, as it was so beautiful but with a distinct feeling that
there was something nasty in the woodshed, because of the problems you
refer to.
Kate B
2018-09-21 20:16:25 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Catford. Very confusing.
--
Kate B
London
krw
2018-09-21 21:34:46 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Mike
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Not been to Catford for about 40 years. It was confusing then too.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Sid Nuncius
2018-09-22 05:00:04 UTC
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
thinking of this:

(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
Mike
2018-09-22 07:02:23 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
Thank you Sid, good way to get the day going; did I ever tell you Mrs.
mcToodles went to school with a friend who growded up to sing in a group
who did a support role to the BRs.?
Toodle Pip
Chris McMillan
2018-09-23 17:41:27 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
Thank you Sid, good way to get the day going; did I ever tell you Mrs.
mcToodles went to school with a friend who growded up to sing in a group
who did a support role to the BRs.?
For which McT came with me fo see the Barron Knights when my friend’s
group, the Cockatoos, performed at the Hexagon. Late 70s, early 80s that
was. What I forget is how a local group based in Aylesbury came to be
support group. Jac was the dolly bird girl: and like me she has poor sight.
The others were at least a decade older than her.

Sincerely Chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-22 18:35:51 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
YANA! "'Cos we're from Catford. Antwe. Ey!"

(I've never knowingly been there.)

Just because you're old it doesn't mean you go beige. Quite the reverse.
- Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, RT 2015/7/11-17
Btms
2018-09-25 11:17:08 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
We lived in Orpington. Must have been to cat ford way back. Early cd 🍔
outlet. Not impressed. But Orpington was not great we both worked in
the city so it was a practical choice for travel and housing. Soullin my
opinion
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-25 13:16:22 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
We lived in Orpington. Must have been to cat ford way back. Early cd 🍔
outlet. Not impressed. But Orpington was not great we both worked in
the city so it was a practical choice for travel and housing. Soullin my
opinion
Catford: snarl-up on the South Circular on the way to France via
Folkestone in 1986. Impressive big black cat on top of the shopping
centre, poised to pounce. Perhaps on the dogs at the dog track. Catford
dogs: a wonderful concept.

RnT
Kate B
2018-09-25 15:12:01 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
We lived in Orpington. Must have been to cat ford way back. Early cd 🍔
outlet.   Not impressed.    But Orpington was not great we both worked in
the city so it was a practical choice for travel and housing. Soullin my
opinion
Catford: snarl-up on the South Circular on the way to France via
Folkestone in 1986. Impressive big black cat on top of the shopping
centre, poised to pounce. Perhaps on the dogs at the dog track. Catford
dogs: a wonderful concept.
RnT
Cat's still there (so is the snarl-up). Dogs, alas, long gone to themselves.
--
Kate B
London
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-25 18:21:47 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Kate B
Catford. Very confusing.
Not been to Catford for about 40 years.  It was confusing then too.
For about 40 years I haven't been able to hear the name Catford without
http://youtu.be/m4UQzNuLGg0
(Well, I've suffered. I don't see why you shouldn't.)
We lived in Orpington. Must have been to cat ford way back. Early cd 🍔
outlet.   Not impressed.    But Orpington was not great we both worked in
the city so it was a practical choice for travel and housing. Soullin my
opinion
Catford: snarl-up on the South Circular on the way to France via
Folkestone in 1986. Impressive big black cat on top of the shopping
centre, poised to pounce. Perhaps on the dogs at the dog track.
Catford dogs: a wonderful concept.
RnT
Cat's still there (so is the snarl-up). Dogs, alas, long gone to themselves.
Part of me says that's a pity. I used to enjoy going to dog meetings.
OTOH I found out what tends to happen to the dogs, especially the ones
that aren't winners.

Mind you, dogs are pretty stupid to chase the hare round a track like
that. A cat would either work out how to cut it off on the other side of
the track or simply wait for it to come round again.

RnT
steveski
2018-09-25 21:37:38 UTC
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:21:47 +0100, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:

[]
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Part of me says that's a pity. I used to enjoy going to dog meetings.
OTOH I found out what tends to happen to the dogs, especially the ones
that aren't winners.
Mind you, dogs are pretty stupid to chase the hare round a track like
that. A cat would either work out how to cut it off on the other side of
the track or simply wait for it to come round again.
Or develop opposable thumbs and use something to short circuit the hare
track . . . [1]
--
Steveski

[1] Actually, they don't need the 'opposable thumb' thing - they are
already our masters.
Mike
2018-09-22 06:58:34 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Kate B
Post by Mike
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
That was more than a lidl while ago!
Toodle Pip
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-20 08:40:49 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
I'm not a fan of stinky cheeses, love Brie and Camenbert but only
quite firm, but like most goats' cheeses. They seem mild to me.
Chris McMillan
2018-09-20 13:17:37 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Goats cheese has no smell, and very little taste.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/st-helens-farm-mild-goats-cheese-240g

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2018-09-20 13:30:33 UTC
On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 13:17:37 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Goats cheese has no smell, and very little taste.
IME it tastes of the way goats smell :(
Kate B
2018-09-20 13:33:22 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Goats cheese has no smell, and very little taste.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/st-helens-farm-mild-goats-cheese-240g
Sincerely Chris
I think it depends who makes it and how and how long they age it for. It
can be extremely powerful as an aged but still soft cheese. They make
enchanting little pats of soft goat cheese in the Dordogne called
'Cabécou'. As they ripen they get a harder rind and a very distinct
fragrance. Well-ripened ones are called 'crottins' (which actually means
little turds.... bon appetit!)
--
Kate B
London
Chris McMillan
2018-09-20 14:00:13 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I personally am not keen on soft cheeses, I want to use my very limited
cheese intake as an ingredient, not a spreadable. But look at the brand of
my Sains’ choice. :)

Sincerely Chris
krw
2018-09-20 14:17:02 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Goats cheese has no smell, and very little taste.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/st-helens-farm-mild-goats-cheese-240g
I would lay odds that wofe would spot it was a goat's cheese on tasting
it if not before.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Btms
2018-09-24 14:09:38 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
Goats cheese has no smell, and very little taste.
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/st-helens-farm-mild-goats-cheese-240g
Sincerely Chris
Hmm I love it. Guess one adds flavour with. Tasty drizzles. Sticky stuff
green bits. And something to bite on like crunchy toast. Dunno
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Btms
2018-09-24 13:15:10 UTC
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
You mean raise a single grouse 😝
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
krw
2018-09-24 13:37:44 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
You mean raise a single grouse 😝
They are usually counted in brace if I remember correctly.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Mike
2018-09-24 14:26:33 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
You mean raise a single grouse 😝
They are usually counted in brace if I remember correctly.
Clarrie might be able to elaborate on this.
Toodle Pip
Nick Odell
2018-09-24 17:22:06 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
You mean raise a single grouse 😝
They are usually counted in brace if I remember correctly.
Clarrie might be able to elaborate on this.
I thought her speciality was wood pigeons?

Nick
Mike
2018-09-24 17:24:41 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(OK, goat cheese is a niche market
Most cheeseboard selections will include several goat's cheeses. There
is a quite a market I would suggest. Except wofe who refuses to eat
such stinky cheeses.
OT - we had an excellent meal today at L'Escargot. It is an old
favourite of mine but we had not been for many years. I can report that
the grouse did not raise a single complaint.
You mean raise a single grouse 😝
They are usually counted in brace if I remember correctly.
Clarrie might be able to elaborate on this.
I thought her speciality was wood pigeons?
Nick
I expect she would em brace both!
Toodle Pip
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-20 08:39:20 UTC
[]
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I think goats'cheese has a wide market, bigger than the jumped-up
newbie, kefir. Goats' cheese makes good starter dishes too, so Ian
could buy it for that. Locally sourced rustic starters, high price.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 07:51:59 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
--
Best wishes, Serena
The truth is rarely pure and never simple. (Oscar Wilde)
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-19 10:37:21 UTC
On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 08:51:59 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
In Asda a litre of Polish kefir is the same price as 250g of English
Kefit. They appear to have the same ingredients and the Polish one is
very nice. They only do the expensive one in Sainsburys and Tesco.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 10:44:39 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
In Asda a litre of Polish kefir is the same price as 250g of English
Kefit. They appear to have the same ingredients and the Polish one is
very nice. They only do the expensive one in Sainsburys and Tesco.
That must be down to which branch you shop in. I regularly buy a litre
of Polish kefir with my Tesco order.
--
Best wishes, Serena
It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature.
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-19 16:32:03 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
In Asda a litre of Polish kefir is the same price as 250g of English
Kefit. They appear to have the same ingredients and the Polish one is
very nice. They only do the expensive one in Sainsburys and Tesco.
That must be down to which branch you shop in. I regularly buy a litre
of Polish kefir with my Tesco order.
Yes I can see it on the website now but don't think I saw it Monday
when I updated the delivery order. Maybe I had an OAP moment, forgot
to do it there and was thinking of Morrisons. I get the deliveries
alternate weeks.
Btms
2018-09-24 13:15:09 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
In Asda a litre of Polish kefir is the same price as 250g of English
Kefit. They appear to have the same ingredients and the Polish one is
very nice. They only do the expensive one in Sainsburys and Tesco.
Newbury has a polish shop but I struggle with the labels. Dil is from
Ukraine and there is bit of s crossover. But Essentially she is Tesco or
similar. Thinks our veg is generally poor. Grow your own but she hasthree
small children. Thinks gardening is aUkrainian activity as their soil
was so good Stalin worked to take it away, you won’t find my Tanya toiling
in the soil.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Penny
2018-09-19 11:52:27 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
It's strange, I often find goods I've been missing from their regular spot
in a shop have been moved to the Polish section (possibly with a different
brand name). I dislike this racial apartheid in the supermarket.

Put all the cakes and biscuits together in the same aisle regardless of
origin. Do the same with sauces and pickles, cheeses, bread, processed
meats etc. I shouldn't need a deep knowledge of cultural preference in
groceries to do my shopping!
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 12:12:00 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
It's strange, I often find goods I've been missing from their regular spot
in a shop have been moved to the Polish section (possibly with a different
brand name). I dislike this racial apartheid in the supermarket.
Put all the cakes and biscuits together in the same aisle regardless of
origin. Do the same with sauces and pickles, cheeses, bread, processed
meats etc. I shouldn't need a deep knowledge of cultural preference in
groceries to do my shopping!
Same here. Doing my shopping online, I at least have the option of
searching for whatever I'm looking for and that will find it wherever
they've decided to stash it. Much harder if you're looking in a real
life store.
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-19 16:34:39 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
You got curd cheese from Sainsburys as
recently as last time I made it, but now I think of it that must be at
least 12 years ago!
I've just checked the Tesco and Sainsbury websites and they both still
sell it, although it's now stocked as a speciality Polish food, rather
than with the mainstream dairy foods.
It's strange, I often find goods I've been missing from their regular spot
in a shop have been moved to the Polish section (possibly with a different
brand name). I dislike this racial apartheid in the supermarket.
Put all the cakes and biscuits together in the same aisle regardless of
origin. Do the same with sauces and pickles, cheeses, bread, processed
meats etc. I shouldn't need a deep knowledge of cultural preference in
groceries to do my shopping!
Same here.
MTAAW
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Doing my shopping online, I at least have the option of
searching for whatever I'm looking for and that will find it wherever
they've decided to stash it. Much harder if you're looking in a real
life store.
Asda have just reorganised the whole store so that I can't find things
and have to be shown each item. Do they do that so that you see more
things you didn't know you need when hunting?
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-19 17:48:59 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Asda have just reorganised the whole store so that I can't find things
and have to be shown each item. Do they do that so that you see more
things you didn't know you need when hunting?
I have heard it suggested that that's the reason.
--
Best wishes, Serena
Have no fear of perfection - you will never achieve it! (Salvador Dali)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-19 21:26:45 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Asda have just reorganised the whole store so that I can't find things
and have to be shown each item. Do they do that so that you see more
things you didn't know you need when hunting?
I have heard it suggested that that's the reason.
I think it must be, as they've been doing it at least for the decades
I've been shopping. And I've only _once_ seen a "xxx is now in aisle y"
sign - and I bet most people have _never_ seen one.

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
Penny
2018-09-19 22:25:06 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Asda have just reorganised the whole store so that I can't find things
and have to be shown each item. Do they do that so that you see more
things you didn't know you need when hunting?
I have heard it suggested that that's the reason.
I think it must be, as they've been doing it at least for the decades
I've been shopping. And I've only _once_ seen a "xxx is now in aisle y"
sign - and I bet most people have _never_ seen one.
I recall Sainsbury's handing out maps to their new layout once in my entire
shopping lifetime (and many years ago). I think I was just lucky to turn up
on a day when there were still some left. I do tend to be a fortnightly
shopper.
Nick Odell
2018-09-20 13:29:23 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Asda have just reorganised the whole store so that I can't find things
and have to be shown each item. Do they do that so that you see more
things you didn't know you need when hunting?
I have heard it suggested that that's the reason.
I think it must be, as they've been doing it at least for the decades
I've been shopping. And I've only _once_ seen a "xxx is now in aisle y"
sign - and I bet most people have _never_ seen one.
I recall Sainsbury's handing out maps to their new layout once in my entire
shopping lifetime (and many years ago). I think I was just lucky to turn up
on a day when there were still some left. I do tend to be a fortnightly
shopper.
Our local Aldi underwent a refit earlier this year and for a couple of
weeks beforehand the store was handing out maps of the new layout so
we'd know what to expect.

Has anybody visited a "Jacks" yet?

Nick
Chris McMillan
2018-09-20 13:48:37 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Not unless anyone lives in *Immingham*.

Sincerely Chris
Nick Odell
2018-09-20 14:15:48 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Nobody near Chatteris, then? RF&LFF didn't live that far away.

Nick
Chris McMillan
2018-09-23 17:33:08 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
TNMF&LFF is Cambridge the city

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-09-23 17:47:03 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
And if you see either of them smile, run!

RnT
Btms
2018-09-24 14:09:38 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Isn’t that in Hull
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Chris McMillan
2018-09-24 17:33:55 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Other side of the river Humber I think.

Sincerely Chris
John Ashby
2018-09-20 15:44:30 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Not since it was a "Nelson's".

john
krw
2018-09-20 15:52:48 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Not since it was a "Nelson's".
Now that was a proper wine bar; were you there the night Lizzie poured a
glass of wine over Robin?
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-18 07:45:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
My wife found a little book on Austrian desserts. Unfortunately the English is American to the point of incomprehensibilty. What is "Baker's Cheese"?
Wikipedia is usually quite good on Americanisms, does not know this expression.
Context suggests it might be "Topfen", the Austrian name for "Quark", but does anyone know for certain?
Tony
I can't remember anything like Baeckerkaese in Austrian cooking, and a
google search in German doesn't reing anything up either. Topfen is used
a great deal in Austrian sweet and savoury pastries. If you could quote
a recipe with the words in it, Vicky or I may come up with something.
Austrian desserts with that kind of cheese are wonderful. What is the
recipe for? I have a couple of German cookery books from my mother and
could look up what it asks for. I love Topfen Keudel - cream cheese
dumplings, and Austrian/Polish cheese cake. Nicer than US one. Baked.
There are variations of that last, some softer and less solid but
still baked.