sun evg spoiler
2018-05-07 18:57:19 UTC
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
krw
2018-05-07 21:46:47 UTC
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Who said it was taxed and insured?
2018-05-07 21:50:50 UTC
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Who said it was taxed and insured?
Well it has to be SORNed if it's not taxed. And how did she leave
Bridge Farm if she wasn't driving?
2018-05-07 21:56:39 UTC
Post by Fenny
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Who said it was taxed and insured?
Well it has to be SORNed if it's not taxed. And how did she leave
Bridge Farm if she wasn't driving?
Do you believe that Olwen is legal? Apparently the numbers of
unlicenced cars and uninsured drivers is growing.

I feel it would be a good idea if the DVLA sent a piece of paper to
stick in the windscreen of the car to show when the tax expired. It
could be circular, have a different colour each year and the cost would
be fairly minimal.

It might make it easier to spot unlicenced vehicles. It could be called
a tax disc.
2018-05-08 02:10:17 UTC
Post by Fenny
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Who said it was taxed and insured?
Well it has to be SORNed if it's not taxed. And how did she leave
Bridge Farm if she wasn't driving?
Do you believe that Olwen is legal? Apparently the numbers of
unlicenced cars and uninsured drivers is growing.
I feel it would be a good idea if the DVLA sent a piece of paper to
stick in the windscreen of the car to show when the tax expired. It
could be circular, have a different colour each year and the cost would
be fairly minimal.
It might make it easier to spot unlicenced vehicles. It could be
called a tax disc.
(-:

I believe the ANPR system is good enough these days. It's quite a lot of
years since I was picked up (error when I changed cars - the insurance
company had mistyped the reg.), and even my local Sainsburys has one
these days (it flashes up "<number>, your free parking expires at ..."
or something similar, as you go in).

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5
krw
2018-05-08 08:05:32 UTC
I believe the ANPR system is good enough these days. It's quite a lot of
years since I was picked up (error when I changed cars - the insurance
company had mistyped the reg.), and even my local Sainsburys has one
these days (it flashes up "<number>, your free parking expires at ..."
or something similar, as you go in).
If it worked then there would be less unlicenced vehicles, not more.
2018-05-08 08:09:50 UTC
I believe the ANPR system is good enough these days. It's quite a lot
of years since I was picked up (error when I changed cars - the
insurance company had mistyped the reg.), and even my local
Sainsburys has one these days (it flashes up "<number>, your free
parking expires at ..." or something similar, as you go in).
If it worked then there would be less unlicenced vehicles, not more.
Maybe it is due to ANPR that we _know_ there are more (-:. [I. e. they
were there before, but not detected.]

10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.
the Omrud
2018-05-08 08:28:21 UTC
I believe the ANPR system is good enough these days. It's quite a lot
of  years since I was picked up (error when I changed cars - the
insurance  company had mistyped the reg.), and even my local
Sainsburys has one  these days (it flashes up "<number>, your free
parking expires at ..."  or something similar, as you go in).
If it worked then there would be less unlicenced vehicles, not more.
Maybe it is due to ANPR that we _know_ there are more (-:. [I. e. they
were there before, but not detected.]
Apparently it was pretty rare for an enforcement person (police, traffic
warden, etc) to spot an untaxed car by the out of date disc, presumably
because the untaxers did not park them where such people walked. One
parked in my road would remain unnoticed by the authorities for decades.

Untaxed cars were picked up after accidents and during traffic stops,
but the new system spots those anyway.
David
Fenny
2018-05-08 16:58:51 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Apparently it was pretty rare for an enforcement person (police, traffic
warden, etc) to spot an untaxed car by the out of date disc, presumably
because the untaxers did not park them where such people walked. One
parked in my road would remain unnoticed by the authorities for decades.
I reported the one that used to park on the private road where Ma used
to live, but clearly moved on a daily basis. It didn't belong to
anyone who actually lived on that bit of road.

As there were 3 primary schools within a 400 yard radius of Ma's
house, I thought anyone who couldn't be bothered to tax the car
probably wouldn't be that bothered about watching for pedestrians
around the place.

In the end it took a letter to Ma's MP to cause any action to be
taken, then it disappeared.
Flop
2018-05-08 09:32:37 UTC
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Doesn't matter. Inconsequential. This is TA.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-08 09:42:07 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
Doesn't matter. Inconsequential. This is TA.
Even leaving aside where the money comes from, _can_ you even tax and
insure a car if you are of no fixed abode? How does the "traveller"
community manage? (Leaving aside allegations that they don't, surely [a]
_some_ of them do, [b] they'd surely be pulled off the road these days
if they didn't.) I'm _guessing_ they use some fixed address (possibly a
long-suffering relative's).

Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of
them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for
science intact. - Carl Sagan (interview w. Psychology Today published '96-1-1)
Mike
2018-05-08 10:56:30 UTC
How can Olwen tax, insure and fuel this car of hers?
It has always been a dream of Olwen’s.