UMRA birthday info for 23 April 2018
Add Reply
Birthday Monitor
2018-04-23 06:05:05 UTC
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
2018-04-23 06:39:18 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday, John!
2018-04-23 07:51:49 UTC
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 07:39:18 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday, John!
Many happies, Jpg.
2018-04-23 06:53:39 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 🤩
2018-04-23 17:44:39 UTC
In message
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 0 >
Thanks all! Not doing anything specific - well, spent a lot of it doing
genealogy for a friend. But since redundancy/retirement, every day is ..
Going to have a gammon steak before too long.

One thing I've thought I could ask for as my birthday present: could my
text string in the birthday database please be changed from "John
Gilliver" to "John Gilliver, 1960, UMRA, alive" (or ..."U, a")? [With
maybe otherrats asking for theirs as they come up? (Some maybe
substituting "coy" for the year if they wish.)] It's a one-off change,
so wouldn't be that onerous ...

Phil Archer, A[mbridge], d

If you're worried that your house is haunted by a ghost and might need
exorcising, there's an easy way of working out if it is or it isn't: it isn't.
- Victoria Coren Mitchell, quoted in RT 2017/10/7-13
Nick Leverton
2018-04-23 19:43:29 UTC
In message
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 0 >
Thanks all! Not doing anything specific - well, spent a lot of it doing
genealogy for a friend. But since redundancy/retirement, every day is ..
Going to have a gammon steak before too long.
One thing I've thought I could ask for as my birthday present: could my
text string in the birthday database please be changed from "John
Gilliver" to "John Gilliver, 1960, UMRA, alive" (or ..."U, a")?
Your birthday wish is the Birthday Monitor's command ...

2018-04-23 20:01:50 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 0 >
Thanks all! Not doing anything specific - well, spent a lot of it doing
genealogy for a friend. But since redundancy/retirement, every day is ..
Going to have a gammon steak before too long.
One thing I've thought I could ask for as my birthday present: could my
text string in the birthday database please be changed from "John
Gilliver" to "John Gilliver, 1960, UMRA, alive" (or ..."U, a")?
Your birthday wish is the Birthday Monitor's command ...
Nick
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.

Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?

All I ask is to _prove_ that money can't make me happy.
Kate B
2018-04-23 21:55:48 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 0 >
Thanks all! Not doing anything specific - well, spent a lot of it doing
genealogy for a friend. But since redundancy/retirement, every day is ..
Going to have a gammon steak before too long.
One thing I've thought I could ask for as my birthday present: could my
text string in the birthday database please be changed from "John
Gilliver" to "John Gilliver, 1960, UMRA, alive" (or ..."U, a")?
Your birthday wish is the Birthday Monitor's command ...
Nick
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
Squeaking in before the deadline.... hope you had a spiffing day, Jpeg!
Nick Leverton
2018-04-23 22:00:17 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Enjoy. Treat yourself. 0 >
Thanks all! Not doing anything specific - well, spent a lot of it doing
genealogy for a friend. But since redundancy/retirement, every day is ..
Going to have a gammon steak before too long.
One thing I've thought I could ask for as my birthday present: could my
text string in the birthday database please be changed from "John
Gilliver" to "John Gilliver, 1960, UMRA, alive" (or ..."U, a")?
Your birthday wish is the Birthday Monitor's command ...
Nick
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.

Birthday Monitor
2018-04-24 02:01:41 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
Birthday Monitor
No, actually, I was thinking of those who are Ambridge rather than UMRA;
sometimes I see a name and am far from sure whether they're a past
character or an UMRAt. For former UMRAts (I know we say once an UMRAt,
but there _is_ that way ...), that's why I'd added the fourth parameter.

For example

Jill Archer, 19xx, A, a
Phil Archer, 19xx, A, d
Chankel, 20xx, U, d

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...
Penny
2018-04-24 07:51:15 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:01:41 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
Birthday Monitor
No, actually, I was thinking of those who are Ambridge rather than UMRA;
sometimes I see a name and am far from sure whether they're a past
character or an UMRAt. For former UMRAts (I know we say once an UMRAt,
but there _is_ that way ...), that's why I'd added the fourth parameter.
For example
Jill Archer, 19xx, A, a
Phil Archer, 19xx, A, d
Chankel, 20xx, U, d
Um, I'd assumed your own 1960 was YoB, Chankel was not born in the 21st
century, was it intended as YoD?
2018-04-24 12:38:39 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:01:41 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
For example
Jill Archer, 19xx, A, a
Phil Archer, 19xx, A, d
Chankel, 20xx, U, d
Um, I'd assumed your own 1960 was YoB, Chankel was not born in the 21st
century, was it intended as YoD?
Oops! You are right.

Never. For me, there has to be a meaning. There's not much meaning in eating
bugs. - Darcey Bussell (on whether she'd appear on /I'm a Celebrity/), in RT
2015/11/28-12/4
Nick Leverton
2018-04-24 11:02:46 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
Birthday Monitor
No, actually, I was thinking of those who are Ambridge rather than UMRA;
sometimes I see a name and am far from sure whether they're a past
character or an UMRAt. For former UMRAts (I know we say once an UMRAt,
but there _is_ that way ...), that's why I'd added the fourth parameter.
For example
Jill Archer, 19xx, A, a
Phil Archer, 19xx, A, d
Chankel, 20xx, U, d
It's an idea, but I feel such a format would spoil the naturalness and
easy flow for those reading the announcements.

However, as always, I'd consider reformatting the list if a significant
number of people felt it a useful improvement.

Birthday Monitor
2018-04-24 11:35:10 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
AIAOU in being utterly whooshed by this conversation? What are you all
on about?
2018-04-24 12:00:26 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
No YANAOU. I like the format as it is and whatever is being suggested looks
unnecessarily complicated.
2018-04-24 12:25:45 UTC
On 24 Apr 2018 12:00:26 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I think the extra information jpg wants is to know whether those the
birthday monitor posts about are umrats or Ambridgians and if the
latter when they died, if they did. We get quite a few past members
and dead Ambridgians mentioned and maybe don't know if they are dead
or absent and should we wish happy birthday, which is just to umrats.
I do feel a little silly if I wish it to Ambrigians and one doesn't
like to omit a wish for umrats, if one is the wishing type.
2018-04-24 12:51:13 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I take your point. Maybe the last three parameters could be on an
additional line, but that would involve _you_ in reprogramming work,
which I was trying hard to avoid.
Post by Vicky
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
However, as always, I'd consider reformatting the list if a significant
number of people felt it a useful improvement.
Birthday Monitor
AIAOU in being utterly whooshed by this conversation? What are you all
on about?
No YANAOU. I like the format as it is and whatever is being suggested looks
unnecessarily complicated.
I think the extra information jpg wants is to know whether those the
birthday monitor posts about are umrats or Ambridgians and if the
latter when they died, if they did. We get quite a few past members
and dead Ambridgians mentioned and maybe don't know if they are dead
or absent and should we wish happy birthday, which is just to umrats.
I do feel a little silly if I wish it to Ambrigians and one doesn't
like to omit a wish for umrats, if one is the wishing type.
Thanks! That's exactly it. When a birthday is announced, if it's an
Ambridgean, I often wonder "how old is s/he now then?" (I wonder it a
lot less often for UMRAts); I suggested YOB rather than age as it could
then remain a fixed string, rather than having to be changed every year.
[I got it wrong with the Chankel example - should have been 19xx.] The
third parameter is because the database has now - for me, anyway -
reached sufficient size that it frequently names people I don't
recognise, and if I was a goodwishing person, I'd neither want to look
silly (any sillier than I am, anyway) by wishing an Ambridgean, or _not_
wishing an UMRAt, and I suspect IANA in this. And the last parameter was
because, since the decision has been taken to keep mentioning the
birthdays of both UMRAts and Ambridgeans who are no longer with us, I
don't want to cause offence by giving good wishes to them, and I suspect
IANA in that either.

I was trying to keep it as a mostly-fixed string, so the birthday
monitor wouldn't have to change it every year, or generally do much
extra work at all, since he kindly provides the service.

2015/11/28-12/4
Mike
2018-04-24 12:29:46 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
‘I know my place ....’
2018-04-24 13:45:20 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
And me. I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed
as being either an umrat or alive. I also agree with those who prefer
not to publish their full DoB too widely, given how often it's used for
security checks.
We all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more
information in our heads. (Vlade Divac)
Jenny M Benson
2018-04-24 14:24:08 UTC
I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed as being
either an umrat or alive.
Sorry, Serena, I'm rather afraid you are already known to be both!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-24 14:35:44 UTC
I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed as
being either an umrat or alive.
Sorry, Serena, I'm rather afraid you are already known to be both!
LOL!

User Error: Replace user, hit any key to continue.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-04-24 19:16:30 UTC
I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed as being
either an umrat or alive.
Sorry, Serena, I'm rather afraid you are already known to be both!
Yes, I had a nasty feeling that I was too late on those counts!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
(Terry Pratchett)
Nick Leverton
2018-04-24 14:39:08 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
However, as always, I'd consider reformatting the list if a significant
number of people felt it a useful improvement.
Birthday Monitor
AIAOU in being utterly whooshed by this conversation? What are you all
on about?
No YANAOU. I like the format as it is and whatever is being suggested looks
unnecessarily complicated.
And me. I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed
as being either an umrat or alive.
An important point, thanks for raising it Serena. Those who have joined
in did so under the current format and I feel the Birthday Service would
be on legally shaky ground to aggregate and process any more than they
requested.

2018-04-24 14:54:12 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
However, as always, I'd consider reformatting the list if a significant
number of people felt it a useful improvement.
Birthday Monitor
AIAOU in being utterly whooshed by this conversation? What are you all
on about?
No YANAOU. I like the format as it is and whatever is being suggested looks
unnecessarily complicated.
And me. I much prefer the current format and have no wish to be outed
as being either an umrat or alive.
An important point, thanks for raising it Serena. Those who have joined
in did so under the current format and I feel the Birthday Service would
be on legally shaky ground to aggregate and process any more than they
requested.
Nick
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)

As for being alive, I think we'll have to agree to differ, as we did
last time I brought this up. I don't mean on whether Serena is alive: I
think we're all agreed about that! I mean on whether to continue
mentioning the birthdays of those who have died, which the decision was
to continue. I quite like what I've seen occasionally "last post on",
but I suppose it's not always clear whether that means the person has
died or is just no longer posting in UMRA. (Though that could be the
same thing - "when you're tired of UMRA, you're tired of life" as
someone once didn't quite say ...)

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - ***@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998
John Ashby
2018-04-24 17:23:10 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
[...]
But then lack of notation itself denotes.

2018-04-24 18:28:49 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:54:12 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)
I can see some merit in distinguishing the (ahem) fictional characters from
the real people. I don't think many posters here are fictitious, though I
have met some in other groups - come to think of it, Fag Ash Lil used to
post here.
2018-04-24 20:27:31 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)
I can see some merit in distinguishing the (ahem) fictional characters from
the real people. I don't think many posters here are fictitious, though I
have met some in other groups - come to think of it, Fag Ash Lil used to
post here.
On the other hand, trying to remember which are real people and which
are played by actors pretending to be real people can be excellent
exercise for the brain.

2018-04-24 20:54:00 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:27:31 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)
I can see some merit in distinguishing the (ahem) fictional characters from
the real people. I don't think many posters here are fictitious, though I
have met some in other groups - come to think of it, Fag Ash Lil used to
post here.
On the other hand, trying to remember which are real people and which
are played by actors pretending to be real people can be excellent
exercise for the brain.
Nick
I am an actor pretending to be a real person, and so is my wife. I
thought the useful date for all is DOD but also DOB for Ambridgeans.
Or maybe DOB is not needed for them as Carolet is always happy to
provide it :).
2018-04-27 21:39:00 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)
I can see some merit in distinguishing the (ahem) fictional characters from
the real people. I don't think many posters here are fictitious, though I
have met some in other groups - come to think of it, Fag Ash Lil used to
post here.
On the other hand, trying to remember which are real people and which
are played by actors pretending to be real people can be excellent
exercise for the brain.
Nick
I am an actor pretending to be a real person, and so is my wife. I
thought the useful date for all is DOD but also DOB for Ambridgeans.
Or maybe DOB is not needed for them as Carolet is always happy to
provide it :).
Indeed, I have a spreadsheet that reports the date of birth and age of
all living Ambridgites for which this is known, and an alternative
statement of dates for many of those that have died. When ages are asked
for here, I'm quite happy to copy these age reports into UMRA, though
others often work it out before I can do so. One year I replied to every
relevant birthday announcement in this way, but didn't think it was
worth continuing beyond that.
2018-04-25 08:10:24 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Perhaps it could be assumed that UMRAthood is the default, with only
Ambridgeans being denoted? (Didn't it start with only UMRAts?)
I can see some merit in distinguishing the (ahem) fictional characters from
the real people. I don't think many posters here are fictitious, though I
have met some in other groups - come to think of it, Fag Ash Lil used to
post here.
On the other hand, trying to remember which are real people and which
are played by actors pretending to be real people can be excellent
exercise for the brain.
And may provoke interesting discussions on umra :)
Q. Why do bees hum?
A. Because they can't remember the words.
Btms
2018-04-24 12:47:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I am double whooshed!
2018-04-24 14:03:41 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I am of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" persuasion and, even
though I'm a non-participant in the birthday lists, I like them the way
they are.

2018-04-25 10:34:39 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-25 11:11:08 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
I _love_ "Schrödinger's umrat"!

But where it is known that they have died, somerats might like to be
reminded of that, so as not to feel silly by posting birthday wishes to
them.

And every day in Britain, 33 properties are sold for around that price [a
million pounds or so]. - Jane Rackham, RT 2015/4/11-17
Nick Odell
2018-04-25 11:41:50 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from
for some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead
(or, like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
I _love_ "Schrödinger's umrat"!
But where it is known that they have died, somerats might like to be
reminded of that, so as not to feel silly by posting birthday wishes to
them.
Any examples of birthday greetings unbidden by the umra birthday
monitor, in mind?

Nick
Nick Leverton
2018-04-25 11:56:41 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
I _love_ "Schrödinger's umrat"!
But where it is known that they have died, somerats might like to be
reminded of that, so as not to feel silly by posting birthday wishes to
them.
I would refer the hon. Umrat to the answer I previously gave on this subject.

Birthday Monitor.
2018-04-25 12:22:07 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from
for some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead
(or, like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
I _love_ "Schrödinger's umrat"!
But where it is known that they have died, somerats might like to be
reminded of that, so as not to feel silly by posting birthday wishes to
them.
But, as Nick said, in the post I quoted, he already tries to do that.
I always trust my gut reaction; it's always right (Kiana Tom)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-25 17:26:24 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from
for some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead
(or, like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
I _love_ "Schrödinger's umrat"!
But where it is known that they have died, somerats might like to be
reminded of that, so as not to feel silly by posting birthday wishes
to them.
But, as Nick said, in the post I quoted, he already tries to do that.
I've seen "last post" sometimes. But I think I've seen announcements of
birthdays without that - at least for Ambridgeans.

I will say if I see one such.

I like to think of her as Mary Poppins's evil twin - Michelle Gomez, on the
character "Missy" (female version of the Master?) she plays in Doctor Who
[RT 2017/6/24-30]
Nick Leverton
2018-04-25 11:57:43 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
Unfortunately I haven't yet got a quantum computer ...

2018-04-25 12:18:37 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
Unfortunately I haven't yet got a quantum computer ...
Nick
Well, you have .... and you haven’t!
Nick Leverton
2018-04-25 13:11:19 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you refer to Umrats no longer
on this earth, I do attempt to commemorate them.
It's also worth remembering that, if somerat hasn't been heard from for
some time, it may well not be known whether they're alive or dead (or,
like Schrödinger's umrat, both alive and dead).
Unfortunately I haven't yet got a quantum computer ...
Nick
Well, you have .... and you haven’t!
But we may never know ;)

2018-04-23 22:28:21 UTC
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:01:50 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57

Is that what's required?
2018-04-23 23:02:41 UTC
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57
Is that what's required?
I’m not sure exactly what jpg is suggesting, but I think it’s unwise to
put actual dates of birth on a public forum. Not that I think the KGB
spend their working hours reading umra, but you never know ...
2018-04-23 23:20:26 UTC
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would
be A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as
they come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57
Is that what's required?
I’m not sure exactly what jpg is suggesting, but I think it’s unwise to
put actual dates of birth on a public forum. Not that I think the KGB
spend their working hours reading umra, but you never know ...
I agree but I thought that that info was not 'sticking my head above the
parapet' too much.

However, I'll now put my tinfoil hat on :-)
2018-04-24 02:03:39 UTC
I’m not sure exactly what jpg is suggesting, but I think it’s unwise to
put actual dates of birth on a public forum. Not that I think the KGB
spend their working hours reading umra, but you never know ...
I agree but I thought that that info was not 'sticking my head above the
parapet' too much.
I hesitated before suggesting it, but like you thought it wasn't that
dangerous, just the year. But of course it would remain optional.
Post by steveski
However, I'll now put my tinfoil hat on :-)
(-:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...
Nick Odell
2018-04-24 14:06:30 UTC
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would
be A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as
they come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57
Is that what's required?
I’m not sure exactly what jpg is suggesting, but I think it’s unwise to
put actual dates of birth on a public forum. Not that I think the KGB
spend their working hours reading umra, but you never know ...
I agree but I thought that that info was not 'sticking my head above the
parapet' too much.
However, I'll now put my tinfoil hat on :-)
What did you say your mother's maiden name was?

2018-04-24 15:21:24 UTC
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would
be A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as
they come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57
Is that what's required?
I’m not sure exactly what jpg is suggesting, but I think it’s unwise to
put actual dates of birth on a public forum. Not that I think the KGB
spend their working hours reading umra, but you never know ...
I agree but I thought that that info was not 'sticking my head above the
parapet' too much.
However, I'll now put my tinfoil hat on :-)
What did you say your mother's maiden name was?
Nick
And the name of your first pet?
Nick Leverton
2018-04-23 23:24:59 UTC
Thanks! It'll be interesting to see if otherrats follow suit.
Though it occurs to me that those for whom the third parameter would be
A rather than U can't ask: can you perhaps change them, maybe as they
come up?
Umm, not sure of the pro forma but: 29/9/57
Is that what's required?
I'm not sure either ... as far as I'm aware, John and I were discussing
how he would like his own name to be printed on the birthday list,
I'm hoping he might clarify what he means about parameters coming up.

Always happy to add new entries, but under all the modern DP regulations
etc, would you mind if I confirm whether you'd also like annual birthday
announcements on that date ? No trouble if not, the list is strictly
opt-in, only the minimum of data is stored (UMRA name, dd/mm of the
requested announcement, date added, and for more recent entries a
reference to the authorising request). Nothing is required otherwise :)

Birthday Monitor
2018-04-24 13:46:43 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Always happy to add new entries, but under all the modern DP regulations
etc, would you mind if I confirm whether you'd also like annual birthday
announcements on that date ? No trouble if not, the list is strictly
opt-in, only the minimum of data is stored (UMRA name, dd/mm of the
requested announcement, date added, and for more recent entries a
reference to the authorising request). Nothing is required otherwise:)
I do enjoy the birthday announcements, as currently implemented and am
happy to be included.
Q. Where did Sir Lancelot study?
A. Knight school.
Anne B
2018-04-24 21:26:06 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Always happy to add new entries, but under all the modern DP regulations
etc, would you mind if I confirm whether you'd also like annual birthday
announcements on that date ? No trouble if not, the list is strictly
opt-in, only the minimum of data is stored (UMRA name, dd/mm of the
requested announcement, date added, and for more recent entries a
reference to the authorising request). Nothing is required otherwise:)
I do enjoy the birthday announcements, as currently implemented and am
happy to be included.
MTAAW. And if you decide to adopt JPeG's new format, 19xx, U, a will do
for me, thank you. I have no intention of announcing the year to all and
sundry.

I have forgotten the name of my first pet - in fact I can't even
remember whether or not it actually had a name. It was a regrettably -
and unusually - short-lived tortoise, which started hibernating not long
after we acquired it, but never woke up again.

Anne B
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-24 21:41:06 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I do enjoy the birthday announcements, as currently implemented and am
happy to be included.
MTAAW. And if you decide to adopt JPeG's new format, 19xx, U, a will do
for me, thank you. I have no intention of announcing the year to all
and sundry.
You've all made me think more about it - and, I thought I'd given it a
lot of thought while waiting for my birthday! I now think knowing the
age is really only of interest - to me anyway - of Ambridgeans,
especially the younger ones. I don't think I'm that bothered about the
ages of UMRAts. (Though I don't mind my age being known - it's in my
UMRA geek code anyway.)
Post by Anne B
I have forgotten the name of my first pet - in fact I can't even
remember whether or not it actually had a name. It was a regrettably -
and unusually - short-lived tortoise, which started hibernating not
long after we acquired it, but never woke up again.
Anne B
I _hope_ IANA in being somewhat whooshed about how the late lamented
tortoise connects to what went before here ...

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
John Ashby
2018-04-25 05:27:39 UTC
Post by Anne B
I have forgotten the name of my first pet - in fact I can't even
remember whether or not it actually had a name. It was a regrettably -
and unusually - short-lived tortoise, which started hibernating not
long after we acquired it, but never woke up again.
Anne B
I _hope_ IANA in being somewhat whooshed about how the late lamented
tortoise connects to what went before here ...
Security questions, combined with a small helping of thread drift.

2018-04-24 14:08:46 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
[...]
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.

2018-04-24 15:21:24 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
[...]
Ooh yes, an official birthday like HM.
2018-04-24 18:39:31 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:08:46 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
2018-04-24 20:02:54 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I don’t give the real one. It’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
2018-04-24 20:38:55 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I don’t give the real one. It’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
The BBC site didn't ask me for a birthday or a post code - but then I
signed up whilst I was out here. It will be interesting to see if the
site becomes in any way grumpy about that when I start using it back in
Dear Old Blighty.

2018-04-24 21:51:02 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I don’t give the real one. It’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
When that sort of question comes up I usually claim to have been born on
the first of April (seems appropriate somehow).

I do wonder if someday it will bite me on the asp - when I am outed an
not being me.
2018-04-24 22:32:04 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I don’t give the real one. It’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
When that sort of question comes up I usually claim to have been born on
the first of April (seems appropriate somehow).
I do wonder if someday it will bite me on the asp - when I am outed an
not being me.
One of my cats has a Facebook page and is 16, the minimum age allowed.
Astonishingly, she’s the same age as Ally’s dog, who also has such a
page:-)
2018-04-25 08:24:42 UTC
On 24 Apr 2018 22:32:04 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I donÂ’t give the real one. ItÂ’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
When that sort of question comes up I usually claim to have been born on
the first of April (seems appropriate somehow).
I do wonder if someday it will bite me on the asp - when I am outed an
not being me.
One of my cats has a Facebook page and is 16, the minimum age allowed.
Astonishingly, sheÂ’s the same age as AllyÂ’s dog, who also has such a
page:-)
The fb page for our dog Molly, who died just over a year ago, is still
there. In the about section it says " My birthday is not really in
1973 but it refused to let me have an account when I said I was born
in 2007."
2018-04-25 11:06:29 UTC
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 22:51:02 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
There are some web sites (BBC iPlayer is one) which require a date of birth
to register, but I donÂ’t give the real one. ItÂ’s close, but does I hope
confuse the robots. And yes, I do keep a careful note!
When that sort of question comes up I usually claim to have been born on
the first of April (seems appropriate somehow).
How dare you steal my birthday!?
Post by Sam Plusnet
I do wonder if someday it will bite me on the asp - when I am outed an
not being me.
It should ;)
2018-04-25 20:22:48 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
I do wonder if someday it will bite me on the asp - when I am outed an
not being me.
It should ;)
"Steal" is such a harsh word.

"Sharing and cherishing" seems a more kindly phrase.
2018-04-25 06:29:32 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
My Official Birthday is 1993.
2018-04-25 20:24:06 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I rather think that, to protect sensitive information from misuse,
umrats should all get a special birthday mention - but on the wrong day.
My 'official' birthday is 22 July ;)
My Official Birthday is 1993.
What!

All of it?

Did the Daily Mail accuse your mother of bed-blocking?
2018-04-23 07:24:43 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Many happies jpg!
2018-04-23 08:23:20 UTC
Happy birthday Jpeg, I hope you have a great day!
The important thing was to love rather than to be loved. (W. Somerset
Maugham)
Penny
2018-04-23 08:46:13 UTC
Happy birthday John.
2018-04-23 09:28:07 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Hope you are having a splendd day, Jpeg. Best wishes for the "new year".
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
LFS
2018-04-23 10:54:31 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday John and it looks as if the new royal baby will share our
birthday too...
2018-04-24 09:37:43 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday John and it looks as if the new royal baby will share our
birthday too...
Royal must have George as one of his names then.

Sincerely Chris
Anne B
2018-04-24 21:27:28 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday John and it looks as if the new royal baby will share our
birthday too...
Royal must have George as one of his names then.
Sincerely Chris
His big brother already has George.

Anne B
Jenny M Benson
2018-04-24 22:09:42 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Royal must have George as one of his names then.
Sincerely Chris
His big brother already has George.
Doesn't preclude the new baby being given it as a middle name. Prince
Andrew's 4th name is Edward, which is also his younger brother's first name.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-24 22:10:41 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by LFS
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday John and it looks as if the new royal baby will share our
birthday too...
Royal must have George as one of his names then.
Sincerely Chris
His big brother already has George.
Georgina then. Or Georgia.

Rotaa
steveski
2018-04-23 16:36:31 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Many happies, jpeg.

2018-04-24 09:37:42 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Happy birthday, mopmob

Sincerely Chris
Dumrat
2018-04-25 08:57:08 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Belated happy returns of the day, John, glad to know you are still alive.

I think Umrats may very kindly have wished me a happy birthday on 8th April - at the time,
I was some way up a mountain celebrating Greek Easter, with little internet access, and
then, I have to admit, when I returned home, where the internet is easy, I forgot all
about it. Until now, that is! I had the pleasure of meeting up with the Baselrat and the
honorary Baselrat in Athens, and a jolly good time was had by all (I hope, certainly by
me!) - apart from the weather, which was too cold for me, now I am so used to the climate
in the sand-pit!

Apparently, the last time I posted here was before my birthday in 2017, after Sara
Coward's death. I still listen to the Archers, so I really must try to keep up here!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-25 09:05:59 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Belated happy returns of the day, John, glad to know you are still alive.
I think Umrats may very kindly have wished me a happy birthday on 8th
April - at the time, I was some way up a mountain celebrating Greek
Easter, with little internet access, and then, I have to admit, when I
returned home, where the internet is easy, I forgot all about it. Until
now, that is! I had the pleasure of meeting up with the Baselrat and the
honorary Baselrat in Athens, and a jolly good time was had by all (I
hope, certainly by me!) - apart from the weather, which was too cold for
me, now I am so used to the climate in the sand-pit!
Apparently, the last time I posted here was before my birthday in 2017,
after Sara Coward's death. I still listen to the Archers, so I really
must try to keep up here!
Hurrah! Lovely to hear from you, Anne.
2018-04-25 09:09:36 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Belated happy returns of the day, John, glad to know you are still alive.
(-:! Thanks.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Dumrat
I think Umrats may very kindly have wished me a happy birthday on
8th April - at the time, I was some way up a mountain celebrating
Greek Easter, with little internet access, and then, I have to admit,
when I returned home, where the internet is easy, I forgot all about
it. Until now, that is! I had the pleasure of meeting up with the
Baselrat and the honorary Baselrat in Athens, and a jolly good time
was had by all (I hope, certainly by me!) - apart from the weather,
which was too cold for me, now I am so used to the climate in the sand-pit!
Apparently, the last time I posted here was before my birthday in
2017, after Sara Coward's death. I still listen to the Archers, so I
really must try to keep up here!
Hurrah! Lovely to hear from you, Anne.
+1!

(Incidentally, it was made in Spain so shouldn't it be a "paella western"?) -
Barry Norman [on "A Fistful of Dollars"], RT 2014/10/4-10
Btms
2018-04-25 11:42:00 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Dumrat
I think Umrats may very kindly have wished me a happy birthday on
8th April - at the time, I was some way up a mountain celebrating
Greek Easter, with little internet access, and then, I have to admit,
when I returned home, where the internet is easy, I forgot all about
it. Until now, that is! I had the pleasure of meeting up with the
Baselrat and the honorary Baselrat in Athens, and a jolly good time
was had by all (I hope, certainly by me!) - apart from the weather,
which was too cold for me, now I am so used to the climate in the sand-pit!
Apparently, the last time I posted here was before my birthday in
2017, after Sara Coward's death. I still listen to the Archers, so I
really must try to keep up here!
Hurrah! Lovely to hear from you, Anne.
+1!
Another+1
Ok we are pleased Anne is back, but can someone please bolt the door
before she goes off again? We can't have people absent like this.
2018-04-25 20:27:03 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Dumrat
[...]
Well yes - and such a flimsy excuse.

<Half way up a Greek mountain indeed! Whatever next!>

2018-04-25 09:18:50 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Apparently, the last time I posted here was before my birthday in 2017,
after Sara Coward's death. I still listen to the Archers, so I really
must try to keep up here!
Yes, you must <hard stare>.

Welcome back ;)
SODAM
2018-04-27 23:28:53 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 23 April: Phil Archer and John Gilliver.
Belated birthday wishes from the SODAM/ Bingo team. Having been busy all
week, I logged in twice but after seeing only a few posts kept getting a
message that I had failed to connect with the server. During this carry on
I missed your birthday greetings.

Have a great year!
--
SODAM