new computer
2018-05-16 22:11:35 UTC
Well, not actually the new one as it is a mini and apparently can't
handle chrome. This is anotehr one we have that ran the tv stuff and
the tv now has the mini. And I am now setting up Agent etc for the
third time and it didn't take my settings across. I have managed most
things but when it downloads news items it is just getting headers,
unless I tell it to get each body, and I can't see where to say get
the bodies too. Also I only got 50 but I was up to date so that will
do.
Flop
2018-05-17 09:21:28 UTC
Well, not actually the new one as it is a mini and apparently can't
handle chrome. This is anotehr one we have that ran the tv stuff and
the tv now has the mini. And I am now setting up Agent etc for the
third time and it didn't take my settings across. I have managed most
things but when it downloads news items it is just getting headers,
unless I tell it to get each body, and I can't see where to say get
the bodies too. Also I only got 50 but I was up to date so that will
do.
I suspect that if you are using an IMAP server, the default is only to
download headers to TB/Agent etc.

The body is only transferred to the email client when the message is
clicked to 'open' it.

One advantage of this is to prevent the client from being swamped with
messages + attachments when storage memory is limited.

At the moment, my backup of TB messages exceeds 3Gb. In the good old
days everything would have ground to a halt
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Vicky Ayech
2018-05-17 10:39:22 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Thank you it has been fixed by the in-house genius :). (so he tells
me he is). I had the same servers before and same software. it was
apparently a setting.

And we have also had tuition 101 on how to answer my mobile phone so
it doesn't hung up instead of connecting me,. I'm nearly 73, you know
:). I've had to keep ringing everyone back, but then I have been also
unable to answer any of the nuisance calls.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-17 11:14:40 UTC
Post by Flop
I suspect that if you are using an IMAP server, the default is only to
download headers to TB/Agent etc.
(I've never been convinced by the purported advantages of IMAP. But then
I'm mainly a one-machine user.)
Thank you it has been fixed by the in-house genius :). (so he tells
me he is). I had the same servers before and same software. it was
apparently a setting.
Glad you got it sorted.
Post by Vicky Ayech
And we have also had tuition 101 on how to answer my mobile phone so
it doesn't hung up instead of connecting me,. I'm nearly 73, you know
:). I've had to keep ringing everyone back, but then I have been also
unable to answer any of the nuisance calls.
Don't worry, YANA (and I was only 57 when I finally figured it out): it
took me a fair bit of experimentation to figure out that "swipe right"
was the way to answer an incoming call! (Android 4.2, DooGee 'phone. I
don't know if "swipe right" is generic Android or specific to the
'phone.)

There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by
ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. -Mark Twain, author and humorist
(1835-1910)
Vicky Ayech
2018-05-17 12:47:37 UTC
On Thu, 17 May 2018 12:14:40 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Vicky Ayech
And we have also had tuition 101 on how to answer my mobile phone so
it doesn't hung up instead of connecting me,. I'm nearly 73, you know
:). I've had to keep ringing everyone back, but then I have been also
unable to answer any of the nuisance calls.
Don't worry, YANA (and I was only 57 when I finally figured it out): it
took me a fair bit of experimentation to figure out that "swipe right"
was the way to answer an incoming call! (Android 4.2, DooGee 'phone. I
don't know if "swipe right" is generic Android or specific to the
'phone.)
I was swiping right but B thinks by the time I was getting to my phone
and beginning I might have tapped at the left first. I was swiping
from far left. He said begin in the middle.
Kate B
2018-05-17 14:17:35 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Vicky Ayech
Well, not actually the new one as it is a mini and apparently can't
handle chrome. This is anotehr one we have that ran the tv stuff and
the tv now has the mini. And I am now setting up Agent etc for the
third time and it didn't take my settings across. I have managed most
things but when it downloads news items it is just getting headers,
[]
Post by Flop
[...]
I had just set up my first Android phone (and I was quite a bit older
than you, JPeg) when it rang. I had not a clue what to do. I dabbed and
held and double-clicked and did everything except swipe. Luckily it was
a beloved niece who had rung, so I was able to ring her back immediately
and get a swift tutorial.
2018-05-17 16:10:30 UTC
Post by Kate B
I had just set up my first Android phone (and I was quite a bit older
than you, JPeg) when it rang. I had not a clue what to do. I dabbed and
held and double-clicked and did everything except swipe. Luckily it was
a beloved niece who had rung, so I was able to ring her back immediately
and get a swift tutorial.
My first smartphone (handed down from BOFE who is more into these
things than me) similarly foxed me.

I was used to my old clamshell which I simply had to unfold in
order to accept the call. Outdoors in bright sunlight it is
difficult to see the screen to understand what it wants.

Even now, some years later, I do not instinctively know which way
to swipe to accept, mainly because I use it so infrequently.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-05-17 20:11:00 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Kate B
I had just set up my first Android phone (and I was quite a bit older
than you, JPeg) when it rang. I had not a clue what to do. I dabbed and
held and double-clicked and did everything except swipe. Luckily it was
a beloved niece who had rung, so I was able to ring her back immediately
and get a swift tutorial.
My first smartphone (handed down from BOFE who is more into these
things than me) similarly foxed me.
I was used to my old clamshell which I simply had to unfold in
order to accept the call. Outdoors in bright sunlight it is
difficult to see the screen to understand what it wants.
Even now, some years later, I do not instinctively know which way
to swipe to accept, mainly because I use it so infrequently.
You can receive phone calls on one of these things?
2018-05-18 07:48:43 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
My first smartphone (handed down from BOFE who is more into these
things than me) similarly foxed me.
I was used to my old clamshell which I simply had to unfold in
order to accept the call. Outdoors in bright sunlight it is
difficult to see the screen to understand what it wants.
Even now, some years later, I do not instinctively know which way
to swipe to accept, mainly because I use it so infrequently.
You can receive phone calls on one of these things?
Yes, but I find it difficult to get the exact alignment with my
ear necessary to be able to hear anything.

The plain fact is that the only "smart" function of which I make
any use is to keep my Fitbit synchronised on the two or three
times a year I am away for more than 5 days. If it were not for
that, I would be back on a dumb clamshell phone.

In fact I occasionally think about porting my number to a new
dumb phone, and then getting a new SIM for the smartphone to use
only when required.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-05-18 08:50:39 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Chris
I only use one smart ap on the phone too :). It is the WW one that
enables me to check the pro points on food when I am at the
supermarket.

I have had the ability to connect to the internet turned off because
of a couple of unexpected bills. #2 daughter sent me a map when i was
trying to meet her in the Kings Cross area and it cost £4. My normal
monthly deal is £2.50 for all the texts I can eat and 100 minutes of
talk so I noticed it.

Then grandson had a phone on the a/c and free minutes but dialled
some entrapment number unwittingly and £7.50 before we knew it. I
took the phone back and grandpa gave him a better smart one with
enough wifi on it to play games. That's up to grandpa.

Once the CH repair person sent me a text with something in it that
cost too. I was cross to realise it is also incoming stuff they
nuggering charge for, not just outgoing. So B turned it off.
Kate B
2018-05-18 17:47:27 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
It's the pesky MMS things, which have pictures or those V-cards (?) with
addresses. Most people I know that need to exchange photos do it via
WhatsApp, which is free and doesn't use a lot of data allowance.
2018-05-18 19:08:39 UTC
Post by Kate B
It's the pesky MMS things, which have pictures or those V-cards (?) with
addresses. Most people I know that need to exchange photos do it via
WhatsApp, which is free and doesn't use a lot of data allowance.
Unless you are my wife who has a smartish phone but does not have any
data. So cannot send her a whats app message unless she is on wifi.
And we have NEVER been able to get MMS to send or receive photos. Nor
does she have an answering machine on her payg - is this normal?
2018-05-19 18:52:10 UTC
Post by Kate B
It's the pesky MMS things, which have pictures or those V-cards (?) with
addresses. Most people I know that need to exchange photos do it via
WhatsApp, which is free and doesn't use a lot of data allowance.
Unless you are my wife who has a smartish phone but does not have any
data. So cannot send her a whats app message unless she is on wifi.
And we have NEVER been able to get MMS to send or receive photos. Nor
does she have an answering machine on her payg - is this normal?
Sounds like the settings need tweaking. MMS settings are different
and can be turned off. And the voicemail settings are different
again.
2018-05-20 14:57:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Kate B
It's the pesky MMS things, which have pictures or those V-cards (?) with
addresses. Most people I know that need to exchange photos do it via
WhatsApp, which is free and doesn't use a lot of data allowance.
Unless you are my wife who has a smartish phone but does not have any
data. So cannot send her a whats app message unless she is on wifi.
And we have NEVER been able to get MMS to send or receive photos. Nor
does she have an answering machine on her payg - is this normal?
Sounds like the settings need tweaking. MMS settings are different
and can be turned off. And the voicemail settings are different
again.
Oh I spent ages on it when she got the phone. As far as I can tell it
needs something changing at Vodafone and she cannot be bothered. It is
certainly none of the phone settings.
2018-05-20 16:20:19 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Kate B
It's the pesky MMS things, which have pictures or those V-cards (?) with
addresses. Most people I know that need to exchange photos do it via
WhatsApp, which is free and doesn't use a lot of data allowance.
Unless you are my wife who has a smartish phone but does not have any
data. So cannot send her a whats app message unless she is on wifi.
And we have NEVER been able to get MMS to send or receive photos. Nor
does she have an answering machine on her payg - is this normal?
Sounds like the settings need tweaking. MMS settings are different
and can be turned off. And the voicemail settings are different
again.
Oh I spent ages on it when she got the phone. As far as I can tell it
needs something changing at Vodafone and she cannot be bothered. It is
certainly none of the phone settings.
In which case, do bother just to pop into a vodafone shop. Their people
are good at sorting this sort of thing.....there and then.
2018-05-20 21:16:26 UTC
In which case, do bother just to pop into a vodafone shop. Their people
are good at sorting this sort of thing.....there and then.
That will not happen.

When the iPhone was acquired the purchase was undertaken at a Vodafone
shop. Wofe insisted that as I am an idiot (see divorce pending earlier)
she would not let me transfer everything from her Motorola Pebble to the
iPhone but that the shop man could do it instead.

He did. He also managed to bring back people from the dead (Jackie's
mother, Stephanie and my mother I think) who appeared as contacts on the
new phone having been deleted from the old phone.

Consequently it is unlikely she will ever cross the threshold of a
Vodafone shop as she knows all of their employees are complete idiots.
She only regards herself as lucky that she is not married to one of them.

Of course had I been allowed near it I could have avoided the problem -
but she preferred the "expert".