Cricket
2017-07-09 17:41:32 UTC
<beam>
vk
2017-07-09 17:55:51 UTC
<beam>
<evenbiggerbeam>
BrritSki
2017-07-09 18:32:14 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
<beam>
<evenbiggerbeam>
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)

And a beam for the rugby too, although could have been bigger.
Peter Percival
2017-07-09 23:49:47 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
<beam>
<evenbiggerbeam>
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
Excuse my ignorance. I know that there's a kind of bowling called
"spin", is there also a kind called "beam"? I know nothing about
cricket or sport in general. Sorry.
Post by BrritSki
And a beam for the rugby too, although could have been bigger.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-10 06:53:06 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by BrritSki
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
Excuse my ignorance. I know that there's a kind of bowling called
"spin", is there also a kind called "beam"? I know nothing about
cricket or sport in general. Sorry.
No. In general slower bowling involves imparting spin to the ball,
making it change direction when it bounces - hence "spin bowling".
Faster bowling is also called "seam bowling" because it uses the
position of the seam on the ball to cause it to deviate in the air
and/or change direction when it bounces.

A "beamer" is a delivery which does not bounce but reaches the batsman
above waist height. These are dangerous, illegal and rare; they
generally happen only when the ball slips out of the bowler's hand
accidentally. The umpire will then call "no ball"[1] meaning that the
delivery was illegal (i.e. against the Laws of Cricket, not necessarily
those of the land). The batsman may not be given out (other than run
out), one run is added to the batting side's score, plus any which were
scored off the delivery, and an extra ball must be bowled so that there
are six legal deliveries in the completed over.

HTH
[1] And possibly 999 if necessary.
Btms
2017-07-10 07:28:01 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Dunno about helping but very interesting. As a child in Jamaica we all
played cricket. But never with a hard ball. I do wonder if this lack of
fear for the ball has any influence on the Windie's style. However, I have
no idea what their style is. 😏. Cricket is a rather foreign place for me.
2017-07-10 10:28:12 UTC
On 10/07/2017 08:53, Sid Nuncius wrote:
<snip excellent explanations>

Can you further explain please at the end of the Women's 1 day game, the
'strines needed a few runs (more than 6) and there was 1 ball left but
they all stopped playing and started celebrating in England's case.

Shirley that last ball could have been a no-ball (or beamer) that was
hit for 6 and then another ball bowled that could have scored the
remaining runs needed.

Or did they all start oplaying again and bowl the last ball ?
Sid Nuncius
2017-07-11 07:04:43 UTC
<snip excellent explanations>
Can you further explain please at the end of the Women's 1 day game, the
'strines needed a few runs (more than 6) and there was 1 ball left but
they all stopped playing and started celebrating in England's case.
Shirley that last ball could have been a no-ball (or beamer) that was
hit for 6 and then another ball bowled that could have scored the
remaining runs needed.
Or did they all start oplaying again and bowl the last ball ?
I didn't hear the end of the match, but my understanding is that
Australia needed 6 from the last ball and that England won by 3 runs, so
that ball must have been bowled. All 50-over matches are played to
their conclusion, I think, even when it's plain that the batting team
cannot possibly score the necessary runs.
Peter Percival
2017-07-10 17:20:09 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by BrritSki
[...]
It did. Thank you!

Another question, if I may. There seem to a vast number of world cups
now. I think that WIWAL *the* world cup was a footie thing. Was there
then (let's say in the 60s) only a footie world cup or were there all
the ones there seem to be today but I just wasn't paying attention?
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-11 07:11:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Another question, if I may. There seem to a vast number of world cups
now. I think that WIWAL *the* world cup was a footie thing. Was there
then (let's say in the 60s) only a footie world cup or were there all
the ones there seem to be today but I just wasn't paying attention?
The first Cricket World Cup was in 1975 and the first Rugby World Cup in
1987. The women's tournaments in both sports began somewhat later.
That's the extent of my interest in World Cups so I have no information
about any similarly named tournaments in other sports, but it looks as
though the name "World Cup" was just applied football in the 60s.
2017-07-11 10:29:58 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Another question, if I may. There seem to a vast number of world cups
now. I think that WIWAL *the* world cup was a footie thing. Was
there then (let's say in the 60s) only a footie world cup or were
there all the ones there seem to be today but I just wasn't paying
attention?
The first Cricket World Cup was in 1975 and the first Rugby World Cup in
1987. The women's tournaments in both sports began somewhat later.
That's the extent of my interest in World Cups so I have no information
about any similarly named tournaments in other sports, but it looks as
though the name "World Cup" was just applied football in the 60s.
I think it has changed because of the relatively low cost of travel and
high revenues that television channels are prepared to expend.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-07-11 15:28:52 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Another question, if I may. There seem to a vast number of world
cups now. I think that WIWAL *the* world cup was a footie thing.
Was there then (let's say in the 60s) only a footie world cup or
were there all the ones there seem to be today but I just wasn't
paying attention?
The first Cricket World Cup was in 1975 and the first Rugby World Cup
in 1987. The women's tournaments in both sports began somewhat
later. That's the extent of my interest in World Cups so I have no
information about any similarly named tournaments in other sports,
but it looks as though the name "World Cup" was just applied football
in the 60s.
Again, thank you.
to me what you really mean.
2017-07-10 06:35:10 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
<beam>
<evenbiggerbeam>
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
And a beam for the rugby too, although could have been bigger.
Indeed. And I should have made it clear that the beam included the
Women's World Cup result, too.
2017-07-10 10:20:02 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
<beam>
<evenbiggerbeam>
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
And a beam for the rugby too, although could have been bigger.
Indeed. And I should have made it clear that the beam included the
Women's World Cup result, too.
I hadn't seen that result when I read your post, but now of course
realise that you meant both :)
Sid Nuncius
2017-07-10 06:36:52 UTC
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
I imagine that Liam Dawson may have a few words to say on the subject.
2017-07-10 10:19:15 UTC
Oi, it was won by spin, not <beam>ers :)
I imagine that Liam Dawson may have a few words to say on the subject.
I'm sure he wouldn't want to spoil the joke ;)