farmiung methods for the environment and pigs
2018-02-27 22:01:13 UTC
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.

I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
2018-02-27 22:10:24 UTC
Post by Vicky
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
Aiui farmers get significant eu subsidy for owning land. They are not
required to farm it.
2018-02-27 22:15:19 UTC
Post by Vicky
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
Aiui farmers get significant eu subsidy for owning land. They are not
required to farm it.
Ummm, you know that referendum that we had a couple of years ago...?
2018-02-28 10:09:14 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Post by Vicky
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
Aiui farmers get significant eu subsidy for owning land. They are not
required to farm it.
Ummm, you know that referendum that we had a couple of years ago...?
Yes. Point is this is ironic as Cornwall (my county) voted out.
2018-02-28 10:32:46 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Post by Vicky
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
Aiui farmers get significant eu subsidy for owning land. They are not
required to farm it.
Ummm, you know that referendum that we had a couple of years ago...?
Yes. Point is this is ironic as Cornwall (my county) voted out.
But the vote wasn’t based on county boundaries but those who voted for or
against over the U.K. as a whole; regional differences were not a
consideration AFAIK.
2018-02-28 11:17:22 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Post by Vicky
[...]
We know that! You are missing the point.
2018-02-28 18:27:17 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Post by Vicky
[...]
Has anyone ever done an analysis of the referendum outcome if it had
been a parliamentary election with two parties (Leave and Remain)
standing in each constituency?

2018-02-28 18:31:01 UTC
Has anyone ever done an analysis of the referendum outcome if it had
been a parliamentary election with two parties (Leave and Remain)
standing in each constituency?
I doubt anyone has done an accurate one, as the referendum count was
done by council areas, not parliamentary constituencies. I'm sure some
approximations were done but I can't remember the results.
Plodding wins the race. (Aesop)
Chris J Dixon
2018-03-01 09:16:16 UTC
Has anyone ever done an analysis of the referendum outcome if it had
been a parliamentary election with two parties (Leave and Remain)
standing in each constituency?
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-03-01 09:27:28 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by John Ashby
Has anyone ever done an analysis of the referendum outcome if it had
been a parliamentary election with two parties (Leave and Remain)
standing in each constituency?
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?
Chris
Course not. Cameron misread the mindset of the people.
kosmo
2018-03-01 10:47:16 UTC
On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 09:16:16 +0000, Chris J Dixon
Post by Chris J Dixon
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?
It was only an advisory referendum.
kosmo
Btms
2018-03-01 11:29:04 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?
It was only an advisory referendum.
Yebut Cameron said HMG would abide by the results. Otherwise, what was the
point! The words hoist and petard come to mind.
2018-03-01 13:52:10 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?
It was only an advisory referendum.
Yebut Cameron said HMG would abide by the results. Otherwise, what was the
point! The words hoist and petard come to mind.
Yebut, yebut, it's supposed to be one's own petard. AISI the whole
country is being well and truly hoisted by somebody else's bloomin'
stupid petard.

2018-03-01 14:14:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Was there ever any discussion about setting anything other than a
straight majority as being sufficient to trigger such a massive
change to the status quo?
It was only an advisory referendum.
Yebut Cameron said HMG would abide by the results. Otherwise, what was the
point! The words hoist and petard come to mind.
Yebut, yebut, it's supposed to be one's own petard. AISI the whole
country is being well and truly hoisted by somebody else's bloomin'
stupid petard.
Nick
I was thinking of the fact he walked within hours of realising what had
happened.
2018-02-28 08:57:40 UTC
Post by Vicky
Farming Today has several times mentioned how farmers will not be paid
for having big farms but for doing good for the environment and land.
Brian's money-making methods have led to the problems and Adam's might
lead to subsidies. Also Pip and Jill's borders, if I recall correctly,
would be rewarded.
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
Kneal didn’t like slatted surfaces for piggy wiggies either.
Fred
2018-02-28 08:57:44 UTC
Post by Vicky
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
I seem to remember that Neil, during his "job interview" said to Justin that he was pleased the new unit was not going to use slatted floors.

Fred
Vicky
2018-02-28 09:41:05 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
I also heard on Farming Today about various kinds of pig farming. Some
pigs are on wooden slats as this is cheaper and easier to manage than
straw. Straw is currently much more expensive. The farmer trialling
slats and other methods said they didn't like it.
I seem to remember that Neil, during his "job interview" said to Justin that he was pleased the new unit was not going to use slatted floors.
Fred
They seem to be doing pigs all week. Today it was swine fever and many
other things pigs get. Neil was talking about having to be careful not
to infect his herd from the BL one or vice versa. If any get swine
fever it's as bad as foot and mouth for sheep or TB for cows. The pigs
have to be slaughtered and the farm can't export any for ages. They
also mentioned some illnesses people can get too.

spoiler space
If Tom won't allow Neil's pigs onto ths farm and hasn't time to take
them over, and says Jazzer can't, where can they go? Ed is working
full time now. There is space presumably at Grange Farm. Eddy is busy
now with helping at brookfield and presumably will be more so as Pip
can't do as much, or could he take over? How old is he? What about
Josh? Or Ben? Who else is there. What happened to Jamie?
2018-02-28 09:47:34 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
There's the land at Hollowtree, which Rex and Toby are no longer using
for poultry. It would be interesting to hear Jazzer's views on this and
whether he agrees that he can't take them on. We only heard it from Tom
and that may be his opinion, not Jazzer's.

Ed's a good stockman but I don't remember him having anything to do with
pigs, so I don't know if he'd be interested.
Don't let anyone tell you loving a cat is silly. Love, in any form, is a
precious commodity. (Barbara L. Diamond)
Penny
2018-02-28 11:03:15 UTC
On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:47:34 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
I think Jazzer may be interested, given the chance. It seems unlikely he
has the money to start up an enterprise on his own account though. If the
pigs stay where they are he might like to care for them. Would the
proximity of Neil's pig unit to his home be a problem in his new job if it
stayed there?
2018-02-28 11:17:22 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
Well Jazzer needs a storyline. You may be on target here.
2018-02-28 13:47:13 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
My money is on Rex. This is supported by Friday's spoiler, which says
that "there is an unexpected offer for Rex".
Post by Serena Blanchflower
It would be interesting to hear Jazzer's views on this and
whether he agrees that he can't take them on.  We only heard it from Tom
and that may be his opinion, not Jazzer's.
As Rex knows nothing of pigs, I would suggest that Jazzer assists him in
this new enterprise. I do wonder whether this would be acceptable,
though, as he could carry contamination between the two set's of pigs,
but then Neil might have done that anyway.
2018-02-28 14:14:52 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
Sounds good to me. And sensible.
2018-03-01 13:25:08 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
Only Tom, Neil and Jazzer understand pigs, though from the way Jazzer
complains about them I think he prefers the milk round.

2018-03-01 13:35:31 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
Sincerely Chris
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
the Omrud
2018-03-01 15:58:41 UTC
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
David
Btms
2018-03-01 16:03:38 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
2018-03-01 16:07:35 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
Are you trying to make this thread recursive?

2018-03-01 17:52:28 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
BTN for both of them
the Omrud
David
the Omrud
2018-03-02 10:30:31 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
There's an academic study course available: Animal Husbandry.
David
Vicky
2018-03-02 13:27:57 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Btms
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
There's an academic study course available: Animal Husbandry.
Tsk! Another BTN over here?
2018-03-02 15:37:02 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by the Omrud
Post by Btms
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
There's an academic study course available: Animal Husbandry.
Tsk! Another BTN over here?
Oh dear! It's going to make judging awfully difficult, but I did think
this clever and it made me laugh so I think I have to accept the Nom.
the Omrud
2018-03-02 16:42:16 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by the Omrud
Post by Btms
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Ok, I will say it......... but quite on trend in Cambridge aiui.
There's an academic study course available: Animal Husbandry.
Tsk! Another BTN over here?
Oh dear!  It's going to make judging awfully difficult, but I did think
this clever and it made me laugh so I think I have to accept the Nom.
Oooh, what an honour.
David
Mike
2018-03-01 16:21:10 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Mike
I say bring back Phil Archer - he was the real pig lover.
I believe that's frowned upon these days.
Archerphillia?
2018-03-01 13:25:09 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Fred
Post by Vicky
[...]
Rex would be better than Tobes any day with any animals!