Spoiler 20th June
2018-06-21 13:15:17 UTC
Err...

Some

Spoiler

Space

Might

Be

Good

Err......

Might

Be

/

Ok,

So now we have bonking castles do we?

2018-06-21 14:47:41 UTC
On 21/06/2018 14:15, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
> Err...

> Some
>

> Spoiler
>

> Space
>

> Might
>

> Be
>

> Good
>

> Err......
>

> Might

> Be

> /
>

> /
>

> /
>

> Ok,
>

> So now we have bonking castles do we?

More a case of Toby being a huge let down I rather think.

2018-06-21 16:54:18 UTC

Just a little prick...... and Kenton was ruined !
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-21 20:11:16 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 21/06/2018 16:47, krw wrote:
>> On 21/06/2018 14:15, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> Err...

>>> Some
>>>

>>> Spoiler
>>>

>>> Space
>>>

>>> Might
>>>

>>> Be
>>>

>>> Good
>>>

>>> Err......
>>>

>>> Might

>>> Be

>>> /
>>>

>>> /
>>>

>>> /
>>>

>>> Ok,
>>>

>>> So now we have bonking castles do we?
>>>

>> More a case of Toby being a huge let down I rather think.
>>
>Just a little prick...... and Kenton was ruined !

(I won't say BTN, as [a] Pip would know better than I if he tastes bad
and [b] it's more MV than BT.)

Judging by Kenton's attitude, the cost of repair/replacement is quite a
bit; now that he knows who's responsible, will he seek payment - and can
he pay?

While no one was paying attention, weather reports became accurate and the
news became fiction. Did not see that coming. - Scott Adams, 2015
Sally Thompson
2018-06-21 23:13:57 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
> <***@gmail.com> writes:

>>> More a case of Toby being a huge let down I rather think.
>>>
>> Just a little prick...... and Kenton was ruined !
>>
> (I won't say BTN, as [a] Pip would know better than I if he tastes bad
> and [b] it's more MV than BT.)
>
> Judging by Kenton's attitude, the cost of repair/replacement is quite a
> bit; now that he knows who's responsible, will he seek payment - and can
> he pay?

Didn’t Kate say they (I assume she meant she and Toby) should pay half?

2018-06-22 08:44:28 UTC
On 21 Jun 2018 23:13:57 GMT, Sally Thompson
<***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Just a little prick...... and Kenton was ruined !
>>>
>> (I won't say BTN, as [a] Pip would know better than I if he tastes bad
>> and [b] it's more MV than BT.)
>>
>> Judging by Kenton's attitude, the cost of repair/replacement is quite a
>> bit; now that he knows who's responsible, will he seek payment - and can
>> he pay?
>
>Didn’t Kate say they (I assume she meant she and Toby) should pay half?

Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
would love to hear that scene.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-06-22 09:24:18 UTC
On 22/06/2018 09:44, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2018 23:13:57 GMT, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>> (I won't say BTN, as [a] Pip would know better than I if he tastes bad
>>> and [b] it's more MV than BT.)
>>>
>>> Judging by Kenton's attitude, the cost of repair/replacement is quite a
>>> bit; now that he knows who's responsible, will he seek payment - and can
>>> he pay?
>>
>> Didn’t Kate say they (I assume she meant she and Toby) should pay half?
>

> Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
> eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
> would love to hear that scene.

I understood Kate to mean that she and Toby should pay half each. Like
you, I'm not sure either of them has the money (Kate probably assumes
Brian will pay her share) but, in theory, Kenton shouldn't be out of pocket.

A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
(William Henry Davies)
Btms
2018-06-22 16:26:11 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2018 23:13:57 GMT, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>> (I won't say BTN, as [a] Pip would know better than I if he tastes bad
>>> and [b] it's more MV than BT.)
>>>
>>> Judging by Kenton's attitude, the cost of repair/replacement is quite a
>>> bit; now that he knows who's responsible, will he seek payment - and can
>>> he pay?
>>
>> Didn’t Kate say they (I assume she meant she and Toby) should pay half?
>

> Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
> eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
> would love to hear that scene.

Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?

2018-06-22 17:40:59 UTC
On 22/06/2018 17:26, Btms wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 Jun 2018 23:13:57 GMT, Sally Thompson
>> <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> Didn’t Kate say they (I assume she meant she and Toby) should pay half?
>>

>> Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
>> eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
>> would love to hear that scene.
>>

> Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?

Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.

COMMITTEE: A body that keeps minutes and wastes hours.
Sally Thompson
2018-06-22 18:52:52 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 22/06/2018 17:26, Btms wrote:
>> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
>>> eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
>>> would love to hear that scene.
>>>

>> Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?
>>

> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.

Also I think it would constitute improper use.

2018-06-22 19:03:23 UTC
Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?
>>>

>> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.
>>

> Also I think it would constitute improper use.

But most incidents of puncture would probably result from improper use, so
insce would be pointless.

the Omrud
2018-06-23 08:52:33 UTC
On 22/06/2018 20:03, Btms wrote:
> Sally Thompson <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.
>>>

>> Also I think it would constitute improper use.
>>

> But most incidents of puncture would probably result from improper use, so
> insce would be pointless.

You have grasped the essence of insurance.

David
Btms
2018-06-22 19:03:22 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 22/06/2018 17:26, Btms wrote:
>> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Surely if they admit they broke it they should pay all? Not that
>>> eitehr of them can. Will Kenton apply to Brian to pay for Kate? I
>>> would love to hear that scene.
>>>

>> Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?
>>

> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.

Aaaaagggh.....Kenton, you t**t

2018-06-22 19:58:26 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Don’t these things include insurance for this sort of damage?
>>>

>> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.
>>

> Aaaaagggh.....Kenton, you t**t

Especially if Kate is now pregnant.

2018-06-22 20:30:01 UTC
In message <CxcXC.282464$***@fx34.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
[]
>Especially if Kate is now pregnant.
>
>--
>Toodle Pip

He already did,

(IGMC)

"Knowledge isnt elitist - that's rubbish! Why are we embarrassed by the idea
that people know things? It's not a conspiracy against the ignorant. Knowing
things is good!" - Jeremy Paxman, RT 14-20 August 2010
Mike
2018-06-23 06:40:38 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <CxcXC.282464$***@fx34.am4>, Mike
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
> []
>> Especially if Kate is now pregnant.
>>
>> --
>> Toodle Pip
>
> He already did,
>
> (IGMC)

Kate needs money to compensate Kenton; the bank of Mum & Dad will have to
bail her out. ‘Dad, you have to give me the money, Toby was knocking me up
on the bouncing castle when my heel punctured it so you must give me the
money.’

2018-06-22 20:37:37 UTC
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Not if you've just borrowed it off a mate, rather than hiring it properly.
>>>

>> Aaaaagggh.....Kenton, you t**t
>>

> Especially if Kate is now pregnant.

How old is Kate? Shurely old enough not to welcome another baby. Is Kate
Brahn’s daughter? Another grandson might be interesting.

2018-06-23 07:46:02 UTC
On 22/06/2018 21:37, Btms wrote:
> How old is Kate? Shurely old enough not to welcome another baby. Is Kate
> Brahn’s daughter? Another grandson might be interesting.

She's about 40 and yes, she is Brian's daughter. She's certainly old
enough to have one and I can't help suspecting that she'd love the idea
of having another (surely *this* one will love her the way she deserves).

What boots up must come down.
Btms
2018-06-23 08:11:18 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 22/06/2018 21:37, Btms wrote:
>> How old is Kate? Shurely old enough not to welcome another baby. Is Kate
>> Brahn’s daughter? Another grandson might be interesting.
>
> She's about 40 and yes, she is Brian's daughter. She's certainly old
> enough to have one and I can't help suspecting that she'd love the idea
> of having another (surely *this* one will love her the way she deserves).

Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another thing.
Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
loving her.

2018-06-23 09:00:45 UTC
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:11:18 +0000, Btms wrote:

> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 22/06/2018 21:37, Btms wrote:
>>> How old is Kate? Shurely old enough not to welcome another baby. Is
Kate
>>> Brahn’s daughter? Another grandson might be interesting.
>>
>> She's about 40 and yes, she is Brian's daughter. She's certainly old
>> enough to have one and I can't help suspecting that she'd love the
idea
>> of having another (surely *this* one will love her the way she
deserves).

> Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another
thing.
> Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
> loving her.

But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
the bulk of the childcare.
2018-06-23 10:54:17 UTC
Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:11:18 +0000, Btms wrote:
>
>> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> Kate
>>>
>>> She's about 40 and yes, she is Brian's daughter. She's certainly old
>>> enough to have one and I can't help suspecting that she'd love the
> idea
>>> of having another (surely *this* one will love her the way she
> deserves).
>>
>> Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another
> thing.
>> Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
>> loving her.
>
> But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
> the bulk of the childcare.

So something else for Kate to feel deprived about.

2018-06-23 11:58:38 UTC
On 23/06/2018 11:54, Btms wrote:
> Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:

>> Kate

>> idea
>> deserves).
>>>
>>> Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another
>> thing.
>>> Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
>>> loving her.
>>
>> But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
>> the bulk of the childcare.
>
> So something else for Kate to feel deprived about.

I would really like about a year or five with no pregnancy stories
whatsoever.

2018-06-23 12:39:27 UTC

Well you'll just have to become celibate Kate....
LFS
2018-06-23 15:36:56 UTC
On 23/06/2018 12:58, Kate B wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 11:54, Btms wrote:
>> Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Kate

>>> idea
>>> deserves).

>>> thing.
>>>
>>> But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
>>> the bulk of the childcare.
>>
>> So something else for Kate to feel deprived about.
>>

> I would really like about a year or five with no pregnancy stories
> whatsoever.

Indeed.

I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
about the level of detail that those about to be parents know about the
development of the unborn child, or about the detail of monitoring that
now goes on. Advice on counting the kicks and noting their timing every
day seems to me to raise anxiety to a whole new level.

None of this has been revealed to me in any soaps.

2018-06-23 16:43:46 UTC
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 23/06/2018 12:58, Kate B wrote:

>>> So something else for Kate to feel deprived about.
>>>

>> I would really like about a year or five with no pregnancy stories
>> whatsoever.
>>

>Indeed.
>
>I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
>about the level of detail that those about to be parents know about the
>development of the unborn child, or about the detail of monitoring that
>now goes on. Advice on counting the kicks and noting their timing every
>day seems to me to raise anxiety to a whole new level.
>
>None of this has been revealed to me in any soaps.

I think pregnancies vary, and probably always did. Also how parents
interact after the birth. With 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren, aged
12, 3 and 21 months, I've noticed how differently the parents manage
and how differently each child develops. Some mums are more relaxed
and seem to enjoy the experience more than others. It seems to depend
on the parents' personalities. But the unbelievably cost of the
equipment required is the same. :).
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-23 22:00:47 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
>wrote:

Unless Jen finally rebels.

(-: )-:

>>> I would really like about a year or five with no pregnancy stories
>>> whatsoever.

Yes, but probably not realistic in a population of about 80 or whatever
we decided it is in a recent discussion. (Plus, they're a staple in
long-running dramas^WFOTWDs so more than statistically likely to occur.)

>>Indeed.
>>
>>I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>>days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>>things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>>costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea

I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't remember
the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these days (though
the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one). Though
pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I suppose. [And
of course we've lived through the 1970s inflation; the house price
comparison is ... well, consider how many shillings it costs to send a
letter now.]
[]
>I think pregnancies vary, and probably always did. Also how parents
>interact after the birth. With 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren, aged
>12, 3 and 21 months, I've noticed how differently the parents manage
>and how differently each child develops. Some mums are more relaxed
>and seem to enjoy the experience more than others. It seems to depend
>on the parents' personalities. But the unbelievably cost of the
>equipment required is the same. :).

It also varies between first and second, or can. I'm told that I (first
that was born alive) had a proper baby's bottle and that sort of thing.
My brother got a coke bottle ...

Anything you add for security will slow the computer but it shouldn't be
significant or prolonged. Security software is to protect the computer, not
the primary use of the computer.
- VanguardLH in alt.windows7.general, 2018-1-28
John Ashby
2018-06-24 05:50:43 UTC
On 23/06/18 23:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

> Unless Jen finally rebels.

> (-: )-:

> Yes, but probably not realistic in a population of about 80 or whatever
> we decided it is in a recent discussion. (Plus, they're a staple in
> long-running dramas^WFOTWDs so more than statistically likely to occur.)
>>>
>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>>> days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>>> things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years  - a new pram
>>> costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
>
> I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't remember
> the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these days (though
> the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one). Though
> pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I suppose.

I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
buy a "travel solution".

john
the Omrud
2018-06-24 09:29:42 UTC
On 24/06/2018 06:50, John Ashby wrote:
> On 23/06/18 23:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:

>> Unless Jen finally rebels.

>> (-: )-:

>> Yes, but probably not realistic in a population of about 80 or
>> whatever we decided it is in a recent discussion. (Plus, they're a
>> staple in long-running dramas^WFOTWDs so more than statistically
>> likely to occur.)

>> I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't
>> remember the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these
>> days (though the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one).
>> Though pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I suppose.
>
> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
> buy a "travel solution".

Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.

We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
a car instead.

David
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-24 10:15:28 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:29:42 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24/06/2018 06:50, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 23/06/18 23:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>
>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>> buy a "travel solution".
>
>Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
>to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.
>
>We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
>a car instead.

I had one of those umbrella buggies for first child, and then a double
one took both children. They were quite cheap, light and easy to put
up and down. Today's buggies are horrible. You need a course on how to
operate them and you can't be holding a child in one arm and use the
other. I collect 3 year old granddaughter from nursery and mum doesn't
drvie so they go by bus (and anyway she works for Greenpeace so would
anyway) and the buggy is at nursery, folded nowaways,.

I have to get buggy, lunchbox, bag of change of clothes and
granddaughter to the car and in. I used to collect a buggy fully
opened out and have to struggle to fold it down and get it into the
back of the car. I often failed and it had to sit awkwardly sideways.
At the flat, which is tiny, I have to get them all out, through the
front door, opening it with a fob, into the lift and then unlock both
locks on the flat door and stow the buggy.

It often comes unfolded at some point during this journey and I have
to try and fold it down, carrying the bags and my bag and if I fail it
is half up and half down, like Fred Fernakapan's trousers,
http://deniswright.blogspot.com/2012/06/fred-fernackerpan-and-mr-kartoffel.html

This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
though :). Free childcare.
Fenny
2018-06-24 12:30:39 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:15:28 +0100, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
>in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
>in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
>trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
>not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
>though :). Free childcare.

Yeah, I'd have told them where to go!
2018-06-24 12:37:59 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:30:39 +0100, Fenny
<***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 11:15:28 +0100, Vicky Ayech
><***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
>>in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
>>in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
>>trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
>>not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
>>though :). Free childcare.
>
>Yeah, I'd have told them where to go!

I did get a bit snitty. And I left 3 year old granddaughter half
undressed, bathwater in, so mum had to finish her. Mum was outraged!
You are going?? Capt Ex does some days and we both leave fast when
mum comes home, to avoid scolds. Thing is, we want to see the
children. It is simple as that. And granddaughter was adorable on
Monday last. She mostly is now. The terrible twos are over.
krw
2018-06-25 12:46:01 UTC
On 24/06/2018 13:37, Vicky Ayech wrote; my response is lower down:
> The terrible twos are over.

Sounds like daughter could do with some quality Mum time herself?

2018-06-24 13:55:50 UTC
On 24/06/2018 11:15, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:29:42 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 24/06/2018 06:50, John Ashby wrote:
>>> On 23/06/18 23:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>>> buy a "travel solution".
>>
>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
>> to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.
>>
>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
>> a car instead.
>
> I had one of those umbrella buggies for first child, and then a double
> one took both children. They were quite cheap, light and easy to put
> up and down. Today's buggies are horrible. You need a course on how to
> operate them and you can't be holding a child in one arm and use the
> other. I collect 3 year old granddaughter from nursery and mum doesn't
> drvie so they go by bus (and anyway she works for Greenpeace so would
> anyway) and the buggy is at nursery, folded nowaways,.
>
> I have to get buggy, lunchbox, bag of change of clothes and
> granddaughter to the car and in. I used to collect a buggy fully
> opened out and have to struggle to fold it down and get it into the
> back of the car. I often failed and it had to sit awkwardly sideways.
> At the flat, which is tiny, I have to get them all out, through the
> front door, opening it with a fob, into the lift and then unlock both
> locks on the flat door and stow the buggy.
>
> It often comes unfolded at some point during this journey and I have
> to try and fold it down, carrying the bags and my bag and if I fail it
> is half up and half down, like Fred Fernakapan's trousers,
> http://deniswright.blogspot.com/2012/06/fred-fernackerpan-and-mr-kartoffel.html

I was often referred to as Fanny Fanapackan when I was a child. I hadn't
heard of Fred!

> This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
> in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
> in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
> trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
> not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
> though :). Free childcare.

Vicky, you are a saint. I shall not be such a hands-on grandma.

2018-06-24 15:52:14 UTC
LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 11:15, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:29:42 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
>>> to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.
>>>
>>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
>>> a car instead.
>>
>> I had one of those umbrella buggies for first child, and then a double
>> one took both children. They were quite cheap, light and easy to put
>> up and down. Today's buggies are horrible. You need a course on how to
>> operate them and you can't be holding a child in one arm and use the
>> other. I collect 3 year old granddaughter from nursery and mum doesn't
>> drvie so they go by bus (and anyway she works for Greenpeace so would
>> anyway) and the buggy is at nursery, folded nowaways,.
>>
>> I have to get buggy, lunchbox, bag of change of clothes and
>> granddaughter to the car and in. I used to collect a buggy fully
>> opened out and have to struggle to fold it down and get it into the
>> back of the car. I often failed and it had to sit awkwardly sideways.
>> At the flat, which is tiny, I have to get them all out, through the
>> front door, opening it with a fob, into the lift and then unlock both
>> locks on the flat door and stow the buggy.
>>
>> It often comes unfolded at some point during this journey and I have
>> to try and fold it down, carrying the bags and my bag and if I fail it
>> is half up and half down, like Fred Fernakapan's trousers,
>> http://deniswright.blogspot.com/2012/06/fred-fernackerpan-and-mr-kartoffel.html
>
> I was often referred to as Fanny Fanapackan when I was a child. I hadn't
> heard of Fred!
>>
>> This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
>> in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
>> in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
>> trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
>> not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
>> though :). Free childcare.
>>

> Vicky, you are a saint. I shall not be such a hands-on grandma.

I once spent an interesting hour or so on a train from Executor Central to
Reading; a fellow passenger explained to me that he was a flooring
specialist dealing in bespoke parquet flooring jobs and that he had struck
up a friendship with one of his customers, Spike Milligan. SM was a
fascinating chap to get to know, he was very friendly, knowledgable and
considerate he told me.

2018-06-24 17:27:53 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 14:55:50 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Vicky, you are a saint. I shall not be such a hands-on grandma.

Not at all. Grandchildren are the best thing, and the time you can
spend with them is only a few years. Then they go to school and then
secondary school and the only thing 12 year old grandson wants to do
really is play computer games. Just like all the other kids now,
according to all the grandparents I know. We used to play games but
no longer. He is good with small sister though.
Chris McMillan
2018-06-24 18:23:13 UTC
LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 11:15, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:29:42 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
>>> to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.
>>>
>>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
>>> a car instead.
>>
>> I had one of those umbrella buggies for first child, and then a double
>> one took both children. They were quite cheap, light and easy to put
>> up and down. Today's buggies are horrible. You need a course on how to
>> operate them and you can't be holding a child in one arm and use the
>> other. I collect 3 year old granddaughter from nursery and mum doesn't
>> drvie so they go by bus (and anyway she works for Greenpeace so would
>> anyway) and the buggy is at nursery, folded nowaways,.
>>
>> I have to get buggy, lunchbox, bag of change of clothes and
>> granddaughter to the car and in. I used to collect a buggy fully
>> opened out and have to struggle to fold it down and get it into the
>> back of the car. I often failed and it had to sit awkwardly sideways.
>> At the flat, which is tiny, I have to get them all out, through the
>> front door, opening it with a fob, into the lift and then unlock both
>> locks on the flat door and stow the buggy.
>>
>> It often comes unfolded at some point during this journey and I have
>> to try and fold it down, carrying the bags and my bag and if I fail it
>> is half up and half down, like Fred Fernakapan's trousers,
>> http://deniswright.blogspot.com/2012/06/fred-fernackerpan-and-mr-kartoffel.html
>
> I was often referred to as Fanny Fanapackan when I was a child. I hadn't
> heard of Fred!
>>
>> This is very awkward to carry. It isn't even good for putting the bags
>> in. And then in the flat, as the flat is small, everything has to be
>> in place and it has to be folded down tiny. If I can't, I get into
>> trouble when daughter comes home. 2 weeks ago I was fired! I was told
>> not to come the Wednesday I usually do. I was back employed last week
>> though :). Free childcare.
>>

> Vicky, you are a saint. I shall not be such a hands-on grandma.

Mike’s also used to say Fanny Fanapackan, not seen it written down, not
sure she used it specifically to mean something. Spoilt child, probably.
In mil’s view any child in her toy dept, where she was the buyer) who
behaved badly was a spoilt child.

2018-06-24 13:00:52 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 06:50, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 23/06/18 23:00, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

>>> Unless Jen finally rebels.

>>> (-: )-:

>>> Yes, but probably not realistic in a population of about 80 or
>>> whatever we decided it is in a recent discussion. (Plus, they're a
>>> staple in long-running dramas^WFOTWDs so more than statistically
>>> likely to occur.)

>>> I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't
>>> remember the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these
>>> days (though the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one).
>>> Though pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I suppose.
>>
>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>> buy a "travel solution".
>
> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
> to those who have a nearby park. And a nanny.
>
> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution. Could have bought
> a car instead

The marketing folk are the same generation as the new parents. They know
which buttons to press. One dil had three different carriages for the
first one and a different one for each of the two who followed. And they
have little spare cash.....allegedly.

2018-06-24 13:52:34 UTC

.

>>> I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't
>>> remember the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these
>>> days (though the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one).
>>> Though pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I
>>> suppose.
>>
>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>> buy a "travel solution".
>
> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
> to those who have a nearby park.  And a nanny.

45 years ago my parents bought us a Silver Cross pram because that was
the brand they had for me and it was the best, in their view.

We bought ourselves a carry cot on a frame which was much easier to deal
with but Mum insisted that it wasn't supportive enough. And when she saw
the McLaren baby buggy that we also bought, she turned up with a
"proper" pushchair. She said putting a baby in a deckchair facing away
from the pusher was a very bad thing to do.

The big pram took up a lot of space but when Son was born we were able
to fix a seat on it for his older sister. But I was very glad to see the
back of it.

2018-06-24 15:43:55 UTC
LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 10:29, the Omrud wrote:
>>>>>
> .

>>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>>> buy a "travel solution".
>>
>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of use
>> to those who have a nearby park.  And a nanny.
>
> 45 years ago my parents bought us a Silver Cross pram because that was
> the brand they had for me and it was the best, in their view.
>
> We bought ourselves a carry cot on a frame which was much easier to deal
> with but Mum insisted that it wasn't supportive enough. And when she saw
> the McLaren baby buggy that we also bought, she turned up with a
> "proper" pushchair. She said putting a baby in a deckchair facing away
> from the pusher was a very bad thing to do.
>
> The big pram took up a lot of space but when Son was born we were able
> to fix a seat on it for his older sister. But I was very glad to see the
> back of it.
>

>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution.  Could have bought
>> a car instead.

My late mother would not have minded £1 for every Silver Cross perambulator
she must have sold in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.

2018-06-24 16:03:20 UTC
On 24/06/2018 14:52, LFS wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 10:29, the Omrud wrote:
>>>>>
> .

>>> I believe you can't buy a pram or a pushchair these days, you have to
>>> buy a "travel solution".
>>
>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of
>> use to those who have a nearby park.  And a nanny.
>
> 45 years ago my parents bought us a Silver Cross pram because that was
> the brand they had for me and it was the best, in their view.
>
> We bought ourselves a carry cot on a frame which was much easier to deal
> with but Mum insisted that it wasn't supportive enough. And when she saw
> the McLaren baby buggy that we also bought, she turned up with a
> "proper" pushchair. She said putting a baby in a deckchair facing away
> from the pusher was a very bad thing to do.
>
> The big pram took up a lot of space but when Son was born we were able
> to fix a seat on it for his older sister. But I was very glad to see the
> back of it.
>

>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution.  Could have
>> bought a car instead.

I was very lucky with my first pram which I acquired free of charge
because of a cock-up by a catalogue company. It had been ordered by
someone else, but I couldn't have made a better choice if I'd had the
opportunity.

A couple of weeks ago my daughter (who is a leather worker) had a new
customer turn up. She turned out to be the wife of the previous
occupant of my son's pram!

2018-06-24 16:08:10 UTC
On 24/06/2018 17:03, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago my daughter (who is a leather worker) had a new
> customer turn up.  She turned out to be the wife of the previous
> occupant of my son's pram!

I am intrigued by the conversation that could have revealed that.

2018-06-24 17:23:01 UTC
On 24/06/2018 17:08, LFS wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 17:03, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>

>> A couple of weeks ago my daughter (who is a leather worker) had a new
>> customer turn up.  She turned out to be the wife of the previous
>> occupant of my son's pram!
>>

> I am intrigued by the conversation that could have revealed that.

It partly depended on me having had the foresight to give my daughter a
rather unusual name! The customer asked "Are you the Laurel who used to
live in Broughton? My motherin-law, ______ ______, said there can't
have been too many people with that name in the area." I immediately
remembered who she and her husband were and where they lived. Then I
remembered that she had offered me her pram because her son no longer
used it and she didn't plan on any more children.

(I'm not sure whether or not it was a Silver Cross, but certainly that
type. I had mixed feelings because I would have preferred one like my
daughter had had 10 years earlier, but we couldn't afford to turn down
such a gift.)
2018-06-24 18:23:14 UTC
Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 14:52, LFS wrote:
>>>>>>
>> .

>>> Actually, Silver Cross prams are still available, but only really of
>>> use to those who have a nearby park.  And a nanny.
>>
>> 45 years ago my parents bought us a Silver Cross pram because that was
>> the brand they had for me and it was the best, in their view.
>>
>> We bought ourselves a carry cot on a frame which was much easier to deal
>> with but Mum insisted that it wasn't supportive enough. And when she saw
>> the McLaren baby buggy that we also bought, she turned up with a
>> "proper" pushchair. She said putting a baby in a deckchair facing away
>> from the pusher was a very bad thing to do.
>>
>> The big pram took up a lot of space but when Son was born we were able
>> to fix a seat on it for his older sister. But I was very glad to see the
>> back of it.
>>

>>> We've just forked out for Daughter's travel solution.  Could have
>>> bought a car instead.
>>>

> I was very lucky with my first pram which I acquired free of charge
> because of a cock-up by a catalogue company. It had been ordered by
> someone else, but I couldn't have made a better choice if I'd had the
> opportunity.
>
> A couple of weeks ago my daughter (who is a leather worker) had a new
> customer turn up. She turned out to be the wife of the previous
> occupant of my son's pram!

Wow!

2018-06-24 17:48:00 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 14:52:34 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>We bought ourselves a carry cot on a frame which was much easier to deal
>with but Mum insisted that it wasn't supportive enough. And when she saw
>the McLaren baby buggy that we also bought, she turned up with a
>"proper" pushchair. She said putting a baby in a deckchair facing away
>from the pusher was a very bad thing to do.

I got the biggest available carrycot on a frame with wheels too and
that was fine until #1 daughter was ok to go into the McLaren's. I
was driving around the UK at the time to visit ports where Capt Ex
(not yet Capt) was arriving on ships, and a carrycot was useful. It
fitted into the back of the car, a hatchback, and she could sleep in
it, although at some point we got a second-hand cot and left it on the
ship. I think later #2 child slept in a drawer :) pn board when tiny.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-24 08:51:30 UTC
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 23:00:47 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>>I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>>>days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>>>things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>>>costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
>
>I suspect that's mainly because demand is now minuscule - can't remember
>the last time I saw a pram; pushchairs seem the norm these days (though
>the US term "stroller" seems to have replaced that one). Though
>pushchairs for very tiny humans _are_ a bit like prams, I suppose. [And
>of course we've lived through the 1970s inflation; the house price
>comparison is ... well, consider how many shillings it costs to send a
>letter now.]

They are transport systems now. A pod contains the baby and it can be
transformed into a car seat or attached to wheels and undercarriage.

>[]
>>I think pregnancies vary, and probably always did. Also how parents
>>interact after the birth. With 2 daughters and 3 grandchildren, aged
>>12, 3 and 21 months, I've noticed how differently the parents manage
>>and how differently each child develops. Some mums are more relaxed
>>and seem to enjoy the experience more than others. It seems to depend
>>on the parents' personalities. But the unbelievably cost of the
>>equipment required is the same. :).
>
>It also varies between first and second, or can. I'm told that I (first
>that was born alive) had a proper baby's bottle and that sort of thing.
>My brother got a coke bottle ...
>--
Well, #1 daughter made as much or more fuss about the second child, 9
years after her first. #2 daughter has been enjoyably easy about her
first child at 41.
Chris McMillan
2018-06-24 11:24:45 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>> days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>> things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>> costs 20% of what we paid for our first house!

Can’t remember how much Wunderkind paid for the first one, from M/care but
she chose it and checked I could push it. This current one may have bern a
good secondhand but still a nice one to push. Nothing fancy about it
either: not even the co,our (plain grey). I know what you mean, LFS, wait
for the baby shower (likely you have your own way of celebrating this).

2018-06-24 12:44:53 UTC
On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>>> days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>>> things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>>> costs 20% of what we paid for our first house!
>
> Can’t remember how much Wunderkind paid for the first one, from M/care but
> she chose it and checked I could push it. This current one may have bern a
> good secondhand but still a nice one to push. Nothing fancy about it
> either: not even the co,our (plain grey). I know what you mean, LFS, wait
> for the baby shower (likely you have your own way of celebrating this).

It seems that D-i-L has everything in hand. She is leaving shortly for a
couple of weeks with her family in the US where there will be baby
showers but she has set up a list at John Lewis and told everyone that
she doesn't want to have to bring things back.

the Omrud
2018-06-23 17:28:52 UTC
On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote:

> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
> days is rather different from my experience.

Congrats; we're in the same position. Well, one of us is - the other
(me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.

July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.

David
Chris McMillan
2018-06-24 11:24:45 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote:
>
>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>> days is rather different from my experience.
>
> Congrats; we're in the same position. Well, one of us is - the other
> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>
> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.

Congarats, David and Mrs Omrud. Nerve wracking the first time.

Sincerely Chris
the Omrud
2018-06-25 10:37:56 UTC
On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote:
> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote:
>>
>>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>>> days is rather different from my experience.
>>
>> Congrats; we're in the same position. Well, one of us is - the other
>> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>>
>> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.
>
> Congarats, David and Mrs Omrud. Nerve wracking the first time.

Thanks. To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house on
Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today. I think I'm
on standby with tool kit.

David
Serena Blanchflower
2018-06-25 12:32:34 UTC
On 25/06/2018 11:37, the Omrud wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote:
>> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Congrats;  we're in the same position.  Well, one of us is - the other
>>> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>>>
>>> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.
>>
>> Congarats, David and Mrs Omrud.  Nerve wracking the first time.
>
> Thanks.  To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house on
> Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today.  I think I'm
> on standby with tool kit.

Gulp! I hope it all goes smoothly and that grandchild doesn't decide to
arrive early...

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-25 12:49:29 UTC
In message <9C3YC.536254$***@fx04.am4>, the Omrud
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
>Thanks. To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house on
>Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today. I think I'm
>on standby with tool kit.

I hope toolkit is on standby t help with the house move, not the birth .

And perhaps that's the scariest thing about the modern mob. In social media,
we haven't created a monster. We are the monster.
- Jonathan Holmes, RT 2015/3/28-4/3
the Omrud
2018-06-25 15:33:55 UTC
On 25/06/2018 13:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <9C3YC.536254$***@fx04.am4>, the Omrud
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
> []
>> Thanks.  To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house
>> on Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today.  I think
>> I'm on standby with tool kit.
>>
> I hope toolkit is on standby t help with the house move, not the birth .

I'm told Daughter's Husband is not good with medical gubbins and may
faint once the process starts. We are on standby to offer succour, but
I suspect they won't allow tools.

David
Mike
2018-06-25 16:26:02 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/06/2018 13:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message <9C3YC.536254$***@fx04.am4>, the Omrud
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> []
>>> Thanks.  To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house
>>> on Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today.  I think
>>> I'm on standby with tool kit.
>>>
>> I hope toolkit is on standby t help with the house move, not the birth .
>
> I'm told Daughter's Husband is not good with medical gubbins and may
> faint once the process starts. We are on standby to offer succour, but
> I suspect they won't allow tools.

Just take your DynoRod kit....

2018-06-25 16:47:00 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:26:02 +0000, Mike wrote:

> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 25/06/2018 13:49, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> In message <9C3YC.536254$***@fx04.am4>, the Omrud
>>> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>> []
>>>>
>>> I hope toolkit is on standby t help with the house move, not the birth
>>> .
>>
>> I'm told Daughter's Husband is not good with medical gubbins and may
>> faint once the process starts. We are on standby to offer succour, but
>> I suspect they won't allow tools.
>>

> Just take your DynoRod kit....

And make sure there's a wicket keeper - just in case . . .

2018-06-25 13:53:34 UTC
the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote:
>> the Omrud <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Congrats; we're in the same position. Well, one of us is - the other
>>> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>>>
>>> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.
>>
>> Congarats, David and Mrs Omrud. Nerve wracking the first time.
>
> Thanks. To confound the matter, Daughter & Husband are moving house on
> Friday, provided they manage to exchange contracts today. I think I'm
> on standby with tool kit.

Oh yes a text book negative. But text books not always right. Does
anyone exchange on the day expected?

2018-06-24 12:47:34 UTC
On 23/06/2018 18:28, the Omrud wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote:
>
>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy
>> these days is rather different from my experience.
>
> Congrats;  we're in the same position.  Well, one of us is - the other
> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>
> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.

Excellent! Hope all goes well. We have to wait until December.

the Omrud
2018-06-25 10:38:52 UTC
On 24/06/2018 13:47, LFS wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 18:28, the Omrud wrote:
>> On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote:
>>
>>> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy
>>> these days is rather different from my experience.
>>
>> Congrats;  we're in the same position.  Well, one of us is - the other
>> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>>
>> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.
>
> Excellent! Hope all goes well. We have to wait until December.

Thanks, and I return your best wishes. So far so good ...

David
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-25 11:33:24 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:38:52 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24/06/2018 13:47, LFS wrote:

>>> Congrats;  we're in the same position.  Well, one of us is - the other
>>> (me) is in a state of impending grandfatherhood.
>>>
>>> July 20th for us, which is why we're back from France.
>>
>> Excellent! Hope all goes well. We have to wait until December.
>
>Thanks, and I return your best wishes. So far so good ...

Congratulations to all the grandparents-to-be and the mums and dads,
and best wishes for safe arrivals and contract exchange.
Penny
2018-06-23 18:25:32 UTC
On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 16:36:56 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
>days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
>things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
>costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
>about the level of detail that those about to be parents know about the
>development of the unborn child, or about the detail of monitoring that
>now goes on. Advice on counting the kicks and noting their timing every
>day seems to me to raise anxiety to a whole new level.

I rather wish someone had mentioned that to me 36 years ago. It might have
increased anxiety but at least I'd have had some idea there might be a
problem. Mined ewe, a scan would have been an even better idea - they were
done in the early '80s but not routinely as they are now.
2018-06-24 11:24:44 UTC
LFS <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 12:58, Kate B wrote:

>>> So something else for Kate to feel deprived about.
>>>

>> I would really like about a year or five with no pregnancy stories
>> whatsoever.
>>

> Indeed.
>
> I have discovered through impending grandmotherhood that pregnancy these
> days is rather different from my experience. Of course I knew that
> things had changed radically over the last 40 plus years - a new pram
> costs 20% of what we paid for our first house! - but I had no idea
> about the level of detail that those about to be parents know about the
> development of the unborn child, or about the detail of monitoring that
> now goes on. Advice on counting the kicks and noting their timing every
> day seems to me to raise anxiety to a whole new level.
>
> None of this has been revealed to me in any soaps.

Likewise, Laura, and I no nuffin’ about soaps ‘cept TA. Wunderkind kept
most info to herself or too busy to impart such trifles

2018-06-25 12:42:53 UTC
On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote; my response is lower down:
> None of this has been revealed to me in any soaps.

There is a baby kicking in Emmerdale, have you missed it?

2018-06-25 13:52:43 UTC
On 25/06/2018 13:42, krw wrote:
> On 23/06/2018 16:36, LFS wrote; my response is lower down:
>> None of this has been revealed to me in any soaps.
>
> There is a baby kicking in Emmerdale, have you missed it?

Don't watch Emmerdale. There has to be a limit.

2018-06-24 11:24:42 UTC
Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:11:18 +0000, Btms wrote:
>
>> Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> Kate
>>>
>>> She's about 40 and yes, she is Brian's daughter. She's certainly old
>>> enough to have one and I can't help suspecting that she'd love the
> idea
>>> of having another (surely *this* one will love her the way she
> deserves).
>>
>> Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another
> thing.
>> Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
>> loving her.
>
> But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
> the bulk of the childcare.

Just as she brought up Feebs, and mad a good job of it, plus Ruiari, of
whom we have yet to form any opinion.

2018-06-24 12:07:42 UTC
On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote:
> Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> wrote:

>> Kate

>> idea
>> deserves).
>>>
>>> Old enough to have one but whether she would want it may be another
>> thing.
>>> Though, as you say, she could do the self deception thing about the baby
>>> loving her.
>>
>> But it would probably bond more with granny Jeniffffer who'll be doing
>> the bulk of the childcare.
>
> Just as she brought up Feebs, and mad a good job of it, plus Ruiari, of
> whom we have yet to form any opinion.

I think Roy and Hayley should be allowed most of the credit for bringing
up Feebs. Jenny only stepped in after they broke up and when Feebs
didn't want anything to do with Roy.

Don't let anyone tell you loving a cat is silly. Love, in any form, is a
precious commodity. (Barbara L. Diamond)
Fenny
2018-06-24 12:33:07 UTC
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 13:07:42 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>> Just as she brought up Feebs, and mad a good job of it, plus Ruiari, of
>> whom we have yet to form any opinion.
>
>I think Roy and Hayley should be allowed most of the credit for bringing
>up Feebs. Jenny only stepped in after they broke up and when Feebs
>didn't want anything to do with Roy.

Exactly. Roy did a bang up job as a single father while Kate avoided
any kind of responsibilities.
2018-06-25 12:50:39 UTC
On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> plus Ruiari, of
> whom we have yet to form any opinion.

Over indulged spoilt brat without an Irish accent I expect.

2018-06-25 12:54:57 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 24/06/2018 12:24, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> plus Ruiari, of
>> whom we have yet to form any opinion.
>
> Over indulged spoilt brat without an Irish accent I expect.

A Mute with an Irish accent.

2018-06-24 11:09:41 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Aaaaagggh.....Kenton, you t**t
>>>

>> Especially if Kate is now pregnant.
>>

> How old is Kate? Shurely old enough not to welcome another baby. Is Kate
> Brahn’s daughter? Another grandson might be interesting.

Did not Krait offer to be surrogate for Adam and Ian ever so briefly?

2018-06-24 11:40:47 UTC
In message <VZKXC.406183$***@fx17.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
[]
>Did not Krait offer to be surrogate for Adam and Ian ever so briefly?
>
>Sincerely Chris

Yes.

Veni, Vidi, VO5 (I came, I saw, I washed my hair) - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury Glos.
2018-06-24 20:06:15 UTC

I missed a vital episode. Do I take it she wore stiletto heels for a "squiggle"?
Mike
2018-06-25 09:28:41 UTC
<***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 June 2018 17:54:20 UTC+1, BrritSki wrote:

>>> More a case of Toby being a huge let down I rather think.
>>>
>> Just a little prick...... and Kenton was ruined !
>
> I missed a vital episode. Do I take it she wore stiletto heels for a "squiggle"?

Probably, if by a “squiggle”, you were referring to ‘Ugandan Relations’
and, the chances are, they were red.