Foreign subtitled tv
2017-08-30 10:54:53 UTC
I have always liked Inspector Montalbano. Wofe does not seem to want to
watch the new season. Without spoilers please has anyone started
watching it and is it worth it?

Whilst we are on foreign TV has anyone watched the new Twin Peaks. Part
way through episode 1/2 and frankly I don't think I can be bothered.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
BrritSki
2017-08-30 11:35:40 UTC
I have always liked Inspector Montalbano.  Wofe does not seem to want to
watch the new season.  Without spoilers please has anyone started
watching it and is it worth it?
Whilst we are on foreign TV has anyone watched the new Twin Peaks.  Part
way through episode 1/2 and frankly I don't think I can be bothered.
First one was good. Second one was good, but the plot was a bit
contrived and unlikely to my mind.

Still enjoyable though and Catarella still funny. All the same actors
except Livia, although the pathologist's bf died recently so I guess
this is his last series.
Vicky
2017-08-30 17:23:12 UTC
I have always liked Inspector Montalbano. Wofe does not seem to want to
watch the new season. Without spoilers please has anyone started
watching it and is it worth it?
Whilst we are on foreign TV has anyone watched the new Twin Peaks. Part
way through episode 1/2 and frankly I don't think I can be bothered.
I didn't see it first time round so am not tempted, but the daughters
loved it.

#2 daughter, who works for UK tv, is responsible now for Alibi
channel, as well as Drama. They show detective series, but not with
subtitles. She says their viewers wouldn't watch those. :). I've
suggested the other series by the Miss Fisher author, with the
baker/detective in modern day Melbourne. It is frothier than BBC4 ones
and I like the books. Someone just needs to make a series.
#2 daughter, who works for UK tv, is responsible now for Alibi
channel, as well as Drama. They show detective series, but not with
subtitles. She says their viewers wouldn't watch those. :). I've
suggested the other series by the Miss Fisher author, with the
baker/detective in modern day Melbourne. It is frothier than BBC4 ones
and I like the books. Someone just needs to make a series.
Can't get on with sub-titles; time I have struggled to make out the text,
the scene has moved on or even the text has changed before I am able to
complete reading the words. Seems little point in struggling to read the
words if in doing so, I don't see the visuals; may as well not have the
pictures at all.
#2 daughter, who works for UK tv, is responsible now for Alibi
channel, as well as Drama. They show detective series, but not with
subtitles. She says their viewers wouldn't watch those. :). I've
suggested the other series by the Miss Fisher author, with the
baker/detective in modern day Melbourne. It is frothier than BBC4 ones
and I like the books. Someone just needs to make a series.
Can't get on with sub-titles; time I have struggled to make out the text,
the scene has moved on or even the text has changed before I am able to
complete reading the words. Seems little point in struggling to read the
words if in doing so, I don't see the visuals; may as well not have the
pictures at all.
B can't watch with subtitles either, or not foreign language ones. We
both use them if the sound is not clear for us. Apparently the new JJ
Rowling detective series, Strike, has music all over the voices. Not
watched it yet but did like the books very much.
#2 daughter, who works for UK tv, is responsible now for Alibi
channel, as well as Drama. They show detective series, but not with
subtitles. She says their viewers wouldn't watch those. :). I've
suggested the other series by the Miss Fisher author, with the
baker/detective in modern day Melbourne. It is frothier than BBC4 ones
and I like the books. Someone just needs to make a series.
Can't get on with sub-titles; time I have struggled to make out the text,
the scene has moved on or even the text has changed before I am able to
complete reading the words. Seems little point in struggling to read the
words if in doing so, I don't see the visuals; may as well not have the
pictures at all.
I've never been happy with reading subtitles but with poor hearing I
really need them these days on many programmes - not the news or soaps,
they must pay more attention to sound.

We've been watching Yes, Minister on Netflix - it's still brilliant and
topical. The subtitles were fine but once we started on Yes, Prime
Minister they became ridiculous, great chunks of the dialogue are omitted.
Clive Arthur
2017-08-30 22:51:55 UTC
I have always liked Inspector Montalbano.  Wofe does not seem to want to
watch the new season.  Without spoilers please has anyone started
watching it and is it worth it?
We've had Montalbano, and the young Montalbano. This new one is wrinkly
Montalbano. It's ok. Still the same sort of thing, the location is
still good.

But if SWMBO has watched Young Montalbano, likely she'll not want to
taint her fantasies.

Cheers
Clive
Fenny
2017-08-31 17:24:14 UTC
Whilst we are on foreign TV has anyone watched the new Twin Peaks. Part
way through episode 1/2 and frankly I don't think I can be bothered.
I only recently watched ep 1 of the original TP and couldn't be
bothered. OTOH, I have an Australian acquaintance who was totally
entranced by the original and has recently been to the TP annual
convention at the original filming locations and has been wetting his
little fanboy pants over the whole experience. He's also been
practically live tweeting every new ep, which is tedious for all those
of us who are more bothered about GoT and are busy discussing the
latest couplings!