Completely OT
2018-03-17 06:39:34 UTC
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.

What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
2018-03-17 09:52:26 UTC
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 06:39:34 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
For awful music I think, sadly, it would be hard to beat the Israeli
entry this year to the European Song Contest. The video is awful too,
and I so wanted to like it all, especially as it had good odds to win.
I forget what they were but wondered if it was a joke. Or maybe they
got fed up with the block votes against them and decided to sing a
musical v sign.

Oh,
3/1.https://www.timesofisrael.com/israels-eurovision-entry-early-favorite-to-win-song-contest/
2018-03-19 20:07:20 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
For awful music I think, sadly, it would be hard to beat the Israeli
entry this year to the European Song Contest.
Has anyone managed to discover why Israel features in the European Song
Contest?
I do realise that I might know the answer - if I had watched it since
the sterling efforts of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson.
2018-03-19 22:23:39 UTC
Has anyone managed to discover why Israel features in the European Song
Contest?
Given the membership of the EBU I'd like to know why countries such as
Morocco and Tunisia don't.
https://www.ebu.ch/about/members
the Omrud
2018-03-19 22:29:24 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
For awful music I think, sadly, it would be hard to beat the Israeli
entry this year to the European Song Contest.
Has anyone managed to discover why Israel features in the European Song
Contest?
I do realise that I might know the answer - if I had watched it since
the sterling efforts of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson.
It's not the European Song Contest. It's the Eurovision Song Contest.
Eurovision is not a geography, it's a club of broadcasters. Which
broadcasters from which countries they admit to their club is up to
them. The organisation is responsible for sharing the broadcast of
loads of things other than the Song Contest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_(network)
/
Eurovision currently encompasses 75 television broadcasting
organizations located in 56 countries of Europe, North Africa, and the
Middle East.
/
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-17 13:04:49 UTC
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have
stumbled across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
Yes, "Progressive psychedelic grunge rock for fans of Tool, Primus,
Nirvana, and Mastodon." https://www.youtube.com/user/theoxfordcoma - I'd
agree with Sid, or at least (not knowing what's good and what's bad in
"psychedelic grunge rock") say that to my ears they're indistinguishable
from thousands of others.

I also liked this one thrown up by Google: "A deep sleep brought on by
an exceedingly boring grammar lesson."

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.
SODAM
2018-03-22 09:36:29 UTC
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
I have just heard on “In our Time” that Tocqueville’s parents “survived
having their heads cut off” during the French Revolution.
I have never heard of this miraculous event before. Why not? ITWSBT.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Mike
2018-03-22 10:38:51 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
I have just heard on “In our Time” that Tocqueville’s parents “survived
having their heads cut off” during the French Revolution.
I have never heard of this miraculous event before. Why not? ITWSBT.
Sodam, it’s not worth losing your head over it really, I think we should
cut it short at this point, anyone got a guillotine spare?
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-22 13:12:27 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
I have just heard on “In our Time” that Tocqueville’s parents “survived
having their heads cut off” during the French Revolution.
I have never heard of this miraculous event before. Why not? ITWSBT.
Well I've heard it said that Charles I walked and talked half an hour
after his head was cut off.

Rotaa
Btms
2018-03-22 13:26:49 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
I have just heard on “In our Time” that Tocqueville’s parents “survived
having their heads cut off” during the French Revolution.
I have never heard of this miraculous event before. Why not? ITWSBT.
Well I've heard it said that Charles I walked and talked half an hour
after his head was cut off.
Rotaa
He was probably off his head.
2018-03-22 13:53:39 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Sid Nuncius
I thought somerats might be amused by the name of a band I have stumbled
across: The Oxford Coma.
What little of their music I have managed to stomach has been dreadful
(and it wasn't even their second album) but I did like the name.
I have just heard on “In our Time” that Tocqueville’s parents “survived
having their heads cut off” during the French Revolution.
I have never heard of this miraculous event before. Why not? ITWSBT.
Well I've heard it said that Charles I walked and talked half an hour
after his head was cut off.
Rotaa
He was probably off his head.
Well, polytitions don’t need their heads to talk....