Justin and Lilian
2016-02-14 10:12:11 UTC
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.

So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
2016-02-14 11:40:22 UTC
On 14 Feb 2016 10:12:11 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
Is environs a new code name for Lilian's undies?
2016-02-16 17:19:55 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
Is environs a new code name for Lilian's undies?
Excuse me dear whilst I rifle through your falundies!
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)
LFS
2016-02-14 11:46:52 UTC
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
I don't think he does really: he fancies Lilian and his current wife
doesn't share his love of horses. Voicewise I think he and Lilian are a
pleasant match, I like listening to them.
2016-02-14 15:06:48 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Sally Thompson
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
I don't think he does really: he fancies Lilian and his current wife
doesn't share his love of horses. Voicewise I think he and Lilian are a
pleasant match, I like listening to them.
Yes. I heard all this as a chat up line.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sam Plusnet
2016-02-14 20:04:29 UTC
In article <2104539940.477154530.738656.poppy-
Post by Btms
Post by LFS
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
I started to wonder if Justin is being inserted as a replacement for
Jack, but perhaps he is being pre-positioned as a replacement for Brian.
eastender
2016-02-14 20:49:22 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by LFS
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
TA does do the provincial conservative businessman very well although
Tiger was a bit of a blip.
Chris McMillan
2016-02-16 17:14:50 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by LFS
pleasant match, I like listening to them.
Yes. I heard all this as a chat up line.
I started to wonder if Justin is being inserted as a replacement for
Jack, but perhaps he is being pre-positioned as a replacement for Brian.
And/or Matt Crawford?

http://www.chinavision.info

2016-02-16 19:04:51 UTC
I started to wonder if Justin is being inserted as a replacement for
Jack, but perhaps he is being pre-positioned as a replacement for Brian.
And/or Matt Crawford?
Sort of.

I think Matt was intended to be Jack Mk II, but then Ambridge Extra came
along and that took the character in another direction.
Throw in a new editor & diverse other disturbances, with the result that
there was still seen to be a character vacuum.
the Omrud
2016-02-17 09:47:25 UTC
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
I got the impression that he wants entry into the "County Set". I've
heard of that, but despite living in Cheshire I don't think I've ever
seen it.
David
krw
2016-02-17 10:24:06 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
I got the impression that he wants entry into the "County Set". I've
heard of that, but despite living in Cheshire I don't think I've ever
seen it.
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a useful
extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in exile.

Not real class.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sally Thompson
2016-02-17 10:58:47 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
He doesn't know that, though, does he, and she married above her station:-
)
2016-02-17 20:12:10 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Does the concept of County still exist? It was so in Cornwall in the 50s
but I haven't heard that phrase for a very long tome and I think those who
are would be embarrassed to say so. Well I hope they are😜
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Jane Vernon
2016-02-18 07:35:13 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
I'm not sure that County people themselves ever described themselves
that way, did they?
--
Jane
BTME

2016-02-18 07:46:18 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Someone did to my Mother, who felt very insulted and never forgot it!
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sally Thompson
2016-02-18 07:57:59 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Somebody once told me in all seriousness that she "had been brought up as a
lady". She was probably dismayed and surprised by my response when I fell
about and said "so was I, but you'd never guess it, would you".
Eiron
2016-02-18 09:10:23 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist? It was so in Cornwall in the 50s
but I haven't heard that phrase for a very long tome and I think those who
are would be embarrassed to say so. Well I hope they are😜
I'm not sure that County people themselves ever described themselves
that way, did they?
Someone did to my Mother, who felt very insulted and never forgot it!
Is that how Sloane Rangers refer to people who live in cathedral closes
and visit London twice a year to shop at Liberty?
Or do you need a butler and a body in the library as well?
I'd better consult Agatha, Dorothy and Georgette for a definitive answer.
Eiron.
Btms
2016-02-18 13:38:30 UTC
Post by Eiron
Post by Btms
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist? It was so in Cornwall in the 50s
but I haven't heard that phrase for a very long tome and I think those who
are would be embarrassed to say so. Well I hope they are😜
I'm not sure that County people themselves ever described themselves
that way, did they?
Someone did to my Mother, who felt very insulted and never forgot it!
Is that how Sloane Rangers refer to people who live in cathedral closes
and visit London twice a year to shop at Liberty?
Or do you need a butler and a body in the library as well?
I'd better consult Agatha, Dorothy and Georgette for a definitive answer.
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sam Plusnet
2016-02-18 19:22:27 UTC
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
Eiron
2016-02-18 20:02:30 UTC
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
Eiron.
Btms
2016-02-18 20:04:26 UTC
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Kate B
2016-02-19 23:29:41 UTC
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of them
about, I see.
2016-02-20 00:19:52 UTC
On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 23:29:41 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of them
about, I see.
I wanted a nickname for the internet... I don't think it's *all* my fault
though.
--
2d
It's hard to be nostalgic when you can't remember anything.
Eiron
2016-02-20 03:17:03 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie%27s_Partners_in_Crime
Eiron.
Mike Ruddock
2016-02-20 12:55:40 UTC
Post by Eiron
Post by Kate B
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of them
about, I see.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha_Christie%27s_Partners_in_Crime
--
Eiron.
There used to be a phrase about a small child: "She's not as big as
tuppence."

Mike Ruddock
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2016-02-20 03:18:42 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Kate B
<***@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
[]
Post by Kate B
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
I have the feeling (though in UMRAtic fashion have not researched it)
that it's a lot older than that; it "feels" Edwardian/Victorian to me.

Science isn't about being right every time, or even most of the time. It is
about being more right over time and fixing what it got wrong.
- Scott Adams, 2015-2-2
Jenny M Benson
2016-02-20 10:32:07 UTC
Post by Kate B
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
I have the feeling (though in UMRAtic fashion have not researched it)
that it's a lot older than that; it "feels" Edwardian/Victorian to me.
FreeBMD records just 3 Tuppence births - in 1843, 1856 and 1935.
Perhaps those families weren't as well off as the two (1883 & 1944) who
named their children Florin. (More Florine, Florina, Florinda &
variations than you can shake a stick at.)
the Omrud
2016-02-20 10:13:21 UTC
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but
I doubt they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to
say. It is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of them
about, I see.
In the case of Tuppence Middleton it seems to have been a family
nickname. WikiP says this:

Tuppence Middleton was born on 21 February 1987 in Bristol, England, to
Nigel and Tina Middleton. She was named "Tuppence" after the childhood
nickname her grandmother gave to her mother

I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2016-02-20 10:20:48 UTC
In message <7%Wxy.990393$***@fx40.am4>, the Omrud
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Based on something by Ezra Pound, maybe? and perhaps involving Mark and
Frank?

# 10^-12 boos = 1 picoboo # 2*10^3 mockingbirds = 2 kilo mockingbird
# 10^21 piccolos = 1 gigolo # 10^12 microphones = 1 megaphone
# 10**9 questions = 1 gigawhat
Mike McMillan
2016-02-20 16:52:02 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Based on something by Ezra Pound, maybe? and perhaps involving Mark and Frank?
I have always had a Yen to do that, but I think you have to belong to a
Guilder something.
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)
Ralph B
I can see the cents in that.
krw
2016-02-20 10:27:58 UTC
and somebody named Bob.
I think he is a builder?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sally Thompson
2016-02-20 10:46:53 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
You will need to include a poem by Ezra Pound.
And eat guinea fowl.
Anne B
2016-02-20 11:03:00 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence
Middleton, Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in
Paradise), Penny from Big Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of
the Thomas Crown Affair, and somebody named Bob.
David
I knew a real live Mrs Shilling once, and there is also Ezra
Pound.

Anne B
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-20 13:22:28 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence
Middleton, Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in
Paradise), Penny from Big Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of
the Thomas Crown Affair, and somebody named Bob.
David
I knew a real live Mrs Shilling once
Not to mention the young man made silly hats for his mum.

There is an actor called Jack Farthing. He could ride a large-wheeled
tandem withe Penny from Big Bang.

Rosma
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-20 13:18:26 UTC
Post by the Omrud
In the case of Tuppence Middleton it seems to have been a family
Tuppence Middleton was born on 21 February 1987 in Bristol, England,
to Nigel and Tina Middleton. She was named "Tuppence" after the
childhood nickname her grandmother gave to her mother
It was one of my mother's nicknames for me when I was little. I winced
when I discovered that there was an actor [sic] called Tuppence. I
winced again when I found it was a given name.

I started wondering. If you were a new parent (and if you are, many
conga rats), what sort of name would you consider?

a) A good solid traditional name like Arthur or Mary?
b) A biblical name like Daniel or Deborah?
c) A name drawn from the better kind of literary culture, like
Pamela or Roland?
d) A name from, er, other kinds of literary culture like Frodo or Arwen?
e) A straightforward name from Celtic languages like Morag or Donald?
f) A cute-looking name from Celtic languages that will cause the child
and others no end of problems, like Ruaraigh or Siobhan?
g) A downright silly name, like Tuppence or Bluebell?
h) Or what?
Eiron
2016-02-20 13:46:24 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by the Omrud
[...]
A friend from Liverpool named all her children Lesley/Leslie to save
confusion.
If she wants something doing, the first to respond will usually do,
and if someone has done something wrong, the miscreant looks sheepish.
If she really wants to identify an individual, she uses the child's surname.
Eiron.
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-20 13:56:09 UTC
Post by Eiron
A friend from Liverpool named all her children Lesley/Leslie to save
confusion. If she wants something doing, the first to respond will
usually do, and if someone has done something wrong, the miscreant
looks sheepish. If she really wants to identify an individual, she
uses the child's surname.
Would that surname be Hughes by any chance?

(Yes, I know there's a tiresomely stereotypical scouser joke buried in
there but I will ignore the slur on that fine city).

Rosma
Anne B
2016-02-20 14:12:16 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I started wondering. If you were a new parent (and if you
are, many
conga rats), what sort of name would you consider?
a) A good solid traditional name like Arthur or Mary?
b) A biblical name like Daniel or Deborah?
c) A name drawn from the better kind of literary culture, like
Pamela or Roland?
d) A name from, er, other kinds of literary culture like Frodo
or Arwen?
e) A straightforward name from Celtic languages like Morag or
Donald?
f) A cute-looking name from Celtic languages that will cause
the child
and others no end of problems, like Ruaraigh or Siobhan?
g) A downright silly name, like Tuppence or Bluebell?
h) Or what?
You forgot to mention football teams and current celebrities in
your list.

I'd go for one from (a), (c) or (e).

My mother used to say that new parents should not be allowed to
name a child until several weeks, or even months, have elapsed,
because maturer reflection might reduce the number of
outlandish/fantasy names inflicted on unfortunate infants who
then have to live with them for the rest of their lives. I can
think of several specific examples, but I won't quote them just
in case someone reading this happens to suffer from such a name.

Anne B
steveski
2016-02-20 14:29:37 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Like 'Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii'?

<http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/24/
familyandrelationships.newzealand>
Eiron
2016-02-20 14:54:41 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
It would be terribly embarrassing to go through life with missing
letters in your name.
Eiron.
Kate B
2016-02-20 15:05:47 UTC
Post by Eiron
Post by steveski
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Like Ophelia Oliver in The Wonderful O by James Thurber. When the letter
O was banished she said her name once and vanished from human knowledge
until it was allowed back again.
Anne B
2016-02-20 15:03:30 UTC
Post by Anne B
My mother used to say that new parents should not be allowed
to name a
child until several weeks, or even months, have elapsed,
because maturer
reflection might reduce the number of outlandish/fantasy
names inflicted
on unfortunate infants who then have to live with them for
the rest of
their lives. I can think of several specific examples, but I
won't quote
them just in case someone reading this happens to suffer from
such a
name.
Anne B
Like 'Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii'?
<http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/jul/24/
familyandrelationships.newzealand>
Steveski
Yes, that article does mention some of the sort of names I am
thinking of.

Anne B
the Omrud
2016-02-20 15:27:54 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by the Omrud
In the case of Tuppence Middleton it seems to have been a family
Tuppence Middleton was born on 21 February 1987 in Bristol, England,
to Nigel and Tina Middleton. She was named "Tuppence" after the
childhood nickname her grandmother gave to her mother
It was one of my mother's nicknames for me when I was little. I winced
when I discovered that there was an actor [sic] called Tuppence. I
winced again when I found it was a given name.
I started wondering. If you were a new parent (and if you are, many
conga rats), what sort of name would you consider?
a) A good solid traditional name like Arthur or Mary?
b) A biblical name like Daniel or Deborah?
We chose two very familiar biblical names (although one of them is
relatively uncommon these days), both single syllable so they could not
easily be abbreviated.
David
Fenny
2016-02-20 23:38:57 UTC
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 13:18:26 +0000, Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I started wondering. If you were a new parent (and if you are, many
conga rats), what sort of name would you consider?
a) A good solid traditional name like Arthur or Mary?
b) A biblical name like Daniel or Deborah?
c) A name drawn from the better kind of literary culture, like
Pamela or Roland?
d) A name from, er, other kinds of literary culture like Frodo or Arwen?
e) A straightforward name from Celtic languages like Morag or Donald?
f) A cute-looking name from Celtic languages that will cause the child
and others no end of problems, like Ruaraigh or Siobhan?
g) A downright silly name, like Tuppence or Bluebell?
h) Or what?
i) A selection of names of previous family members.
2016-02-21 00:53:24 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I started wondering. If you were a new parent (and if you are, many
conga rats), what sort of name would you consider?
a) A good solid traditional name like Arthur or Mary?
b) A biblical name like Daniel or Deborah?
c) A name drawn from the better kind of literary culture, like
Pamela or Roland?
d) A name from, er, other kinds of literary culture like Frodo or Arwen?
e) A straightforward name from Celtic languages like Morag or Donald?
f) A cute-looking name from Celtic languages that will cause the child
and others no end of problems, like Ruaraigh or Siobhan?
g) A downright silly name, like Tuppence or Bluebell?
h) Or what?
i) A selection of names of previous family members.
j) A name appended to a new-born member of the Royal Family.
k) The name of a "Celebrity", or offspring thereof.
Sid Nuncius
2016-02-21 10:39:03 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a part for
Joey[1] Essex?
[1]A usage I have only ever come across in Keep The Aspidistra Flying, I
must admit.
Sally Thompson
2016-02-21 11:10:44 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a part for
Joey[1] Essex?
Will you write a part for the Sovereign?
Eiron
2016-02-21 12:07:17 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a part for
Joey[1] Essex?
Will you write a part for the Sovereign?
Buck up, it's nearly dinar time. There must be something you lek on the
menu.
Eiron.
Sally Thompson
2016-02-21 15:46:08 UTC
Post by Eiron
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise), Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a part for
Joey[1] Essex?
Will you write a part for the Sovereign?
Buck up, it's nearly dinar time. There must be something you lek on the
menu.
I can't make any cents of that.
Anne B
2016-02-21 12:33:52 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence
Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise),
Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown
Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
David
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a
part for
Joey[1] Essex?
Sid
Will you write a part for the Sovereign?
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Will she be accompanied by a pony and a monkey?

Anne B
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-21 15:47:03 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by the Omrud
I've been trying to work up a story idea starring Tuppence
Middleton,
Jill Halfpenny (seen on this week's Death in Paradise),
Penny from Big
Bang, Elsie Tanner, half the cast of the Thomas Crown
Affair, and
somebody named Bob.
David
Set in New Guinea, presumably? And could you also find a
part for
Joey[1] Essex?
Sid
Will you write a part for the Sovereign?
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Will she be accompanied by a pony and a monkey?
That might depend on the value of the dong.

Rosma
Mike McMillan
2016-02-20 16:48:16 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)
Penny
2016-02-20 17:34:07 UTC
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 16:48:16 +0000, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
Gosh, I didn't know pubes could do that - how vulgar!
2016-02-20 18:47:23 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
Gosh, I didn't know pubes could do that - how vulgar!
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. 😜
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sally Thompson
2016-02-20 19:33:38 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
Gosh, I didn't know pubes could do that - how vulgar!
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. 😜
It will be, it will be!
2016-02-20 19:56:57 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
Gosh, I didn't know pubes could do that - how vulgar!
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. 😜
It will be, it will be!
I fear you are right 😢
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sam Plusnet
2016-02-20 21:07:46 UTC
In article <310143212.477686551.563615.poppy-
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. ?
<sniff>

Just because we Type Os are regarded as common, there's no need to be
like that about it.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2016-02-20 23:23:21 UTC
In article <310143212.477686551.563615.poppy-
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. ?
<sniff>
Just because we Type Os are regarded as common, there's no need to be
like that about it.
No, be positive about it. (Or negative, as I am - the universal donor.)

Does God believe in people?
steveski
2016-02-21 01:41:32 UTC
In article <310143212.477686551.563615.poppy-
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. ?
<sniff>
Just because we Type Os are regarded as common, there's no need to be
like that about it.
No, be positive about it. (Or negative, as I am - the universal donor.)
Me: A+ of course :-)
Stevski
Mike McMillan
2016-02-21 16:26:20 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Kate B
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Iirc the person I refer to was named Trelawney and was Cornish but I doubt
they had two halfpence to rub togeter. A phrase my Father used to say. It
is about breeding I think.
I hope they set aside some time for other activities.
these ancient tribes need to practise tribology
if they can't rub two pennies together.
H'pennies not pennies.
By the way, what on earth happened twenty-odd years ago that gave rise
to the fashion of naming a child Tuppence? There's more than one of
them about, I see.
Perhaps there was a pubic outcry so the name was brought back?
Gosh, I didn't know pubes could do that - how vulgar!
Just so glad this isn't one of my typos. 😜
No typo in evidence.
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)
Sam Plusnet
In fiction there's faction & friction.
BrritSki
2016-02-18 10:34:51 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
What because Mother was (not) County and objected to being so described,
or that someone was (not) County ?

EMNTK
Btms
2016-02-18 13:38:31 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Because my Mother thought it extremely rude. We are not a County family
fwiw. I can't imagine my Mother even remotely giving any thought to her
own social status.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
BrritSki
2016-02-18 13:46:46 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Yebbut it's still not clear WHAT was extremely rude.

Did someone call themselves County or your mother County ?

(The past is another County).
Btms
2016-02-18 14:01:05 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by the Omrud
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Mother viewed it as an inappropriate put down. I was very little and can't
recall the context but it was something like, we County people are better
than your sort or because we are County we are better than you.
My Mother was not County but she was very ladylike. And the lower case "l"
is specially emphasised.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-18 13:21:35 UTC
Does the concept of County still exist?
Who do you think the Countryside Alliance are? You don't think the
likes of you or me would get invited to their events, do you?

Rosma
Jenny M Benson
2016-02-18 14:38:13 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist?
Who do you think the Countryside Alliance are? You don't think the
likes of you or me would get invited to their events, do you?
That is utter tosh.
Steve Hague
2016-02-18 15:31:09 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist?
Who do you think the Countryside Alliance are? You don't think the
likes of you or me would get invited to their events, do you?
Rosma
I certainly wouldn't, and if they approached me I'd set the hounds on them.
FFoxS
krw
2016-02-18 15:55:02 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist?
Who do you think the Countryside Alliance are? You don't think the
likes of you or me would get invited to their events, do you?
Rosma
Was it BTMS who went to their march?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2016-02-18 18:30:43 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Does the concept of County still exist?
Who do you think the Countryside Alliance are? You don't think the
likes of you or me would get invited to their events, do you?
Rosma
Was it BTMS who went to their march?
I did attend 'tis true but 'twas a best attempt to warn effer about Brahn
and Siobahn. Marjorie provided the strap line for my banner and is was
nominated as the best, by the Times diarist. I don't know how I know that
because I don't read The Times. Somerat maybe?
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Sam Plusnet
2016-02-18 19:27:17 UTC
In article <1665230066.477511970.211264.poppy-
***@news.eternal-september.org>, ***@thetames.me.uk says...
Reverting to the topic of TA + "County" for a moment.

Shirley the only TA personnel who came close was Caroline because of her
uncle ????

That link has long past its sell-by date so, if the concept of county
still exists in Borsetshire it has left no traces in Ambridge.
Btms
2016-02-18 19:36:40 UTC
In article <1665230066.477511970.211264.poppy-
Reverting to the topic of TA + "County" for a moment.
Shirley the only TA personnel who came close was Caroline because of her
uncle ????
That link has long past its sell-by date so, if the concept of county
still exists in Borsetshire it has left no traces in Ambridge.
Well even my recollection goes back a long way. I would be surprised if
the word is used today.
But wasn't Caroline more low level aristocracy; rather than County? The
people I would think of as County would probably not have titles but would
own a lot of land, have some sort of recorded family history as land owners
in the County, probably had some inherited wealth at some time and that
sort of thing.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Anne B
2016-02-18 20:02:11 UTC
[...]
You forgot the horses and labradors. You can't be County without
horses and labradors.

Anne B
Btms
2016-02-18 21:54:24 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
I don't think they did horses much in my part of the world. And more
likely to have a spaniel than a lab. Probably you are right if the County
covers the Cotswolds. I suspect the Cornish County lot were a bit down
market to the Sipping
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Vicky
2016-02-18 22:45:32 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
Spaniels are always having such a good time. The collective ought to
be a jolly of spaniels. And the boys are always filthy, mud all over,
but the girls are dainty and gorgeously beautiful.
2016-02-18 22:58:23 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
Post by Anne B
[...]
Not where Poppy puppy is concerned. She is a Springer and always needs
hosing down after I take her for a walk. She belongs to d#2s m-i-l but
comes to stay when they go on holiday.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike Ruddock
2016-02-19 08:53:51 UTC
In article <1665230066.477511970.211264.poppy-
Reverting to the topic of TA + "County" for a moment.
Shirley the only TA personnel who came close was Caroline because of her
uncle ????
That link has long past its sell-by date so, if the concept of county
still exists in Borsetshire it has left no traces in Ambridge.
Well even my recollection goes back a long way. I would be surprised if
the word is used today.
But wasn't Caroline more low level aristocracy; rather than County? The
people I would think of as County would probably not have titles but would
own a lot of land, have some sort of recorded family history as land owners
in the County, probably had some inherited wealth at some time and that
sort of thing.
--
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Surely Nigel was County? (Certainly his mother, Julia, would have thought
herself so even if her sister would have scoffed at the idea.)

Mike Ruddock
Btms
2016-02-19 16:40:12 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Yes I agree. The family was County but Mother wasn't. Must have caused
much sucking in of teeth when she married. Though of course the name
Pargetter is actually the trade name for a plasterer back in the day. But
probably long enough ago for them to have shed the "in trade" snipe.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-18 13:17:16 UTC
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a
useful extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in
exile.
No, not in exile. Tax-dodging. She was always free to come home provided
that she paid her taxes on her not inconsiderable wealth.

(It is my considered view that Les Îles Normandes, along with all the
tax-dodging anomalies like Mann, Bermuda and the Caymans, should either
be brought within full British jurisdiction and the residents and
conveniently located bank accounts made to pay proper taxes, granted
independence or, in the case under discussion, restored to France where
they belong (why have we got them anyway?))

Rosma
Btms
2016-02-18 14:01:04 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a
useful extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in
exile.
No, not in exile. Tax-dodging. She was always free to come home provided
that she paid her taxes on her not inconsiderable wealth.
(It is my considered view that Les Îles Normandes, along with all the
tax-dodging anomalies like Mann, Bermuda and the Caymans, should either
be brought within full British jurisdiction and the residents and
conveniently located bank accounts made to pay proper taxes, granted
independence or, in the case under discussion, restored to France where
they belong (why have we got them anyway?))
Rosma
Ot why have the Norman French still got us!

Wouldn't the channel islands collapse if the Uk intervened in their
peculiar finance arrangements.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
krw
2016-02-18 15:56:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a
useful extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in
exile.
No, not in exile. Tax-dodging. She was always free to come home provided
that she paid her taxes on her not inconsiderable wealth.
(It is my considered view that Les Îles Normandes, along with all the
tax-dodging anomalies like Mann, Bermuda and the Caymans, should either
be brought within full British jurisdiction and the residents and
conveniently located bank accounts made to pay proper taxes, granted
independence or, in the case under discussion, restored to France where
they belong (why have we got them anyway?))
Rosma
Not tax dodging particularly - Ralph's health surely?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Ralph B
2016-02-18 16:17:32 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a
useful extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in
exile.
No, not in exile. Tax-dodging. She was always free to come home provided
that she paid her taxes on her not inconsiderable wealth.
(It is my considered view that Les Îles Normandes, along with all the
tax-dodging anomalies like Mann, Bermuda and the Caymans, should either
be brought within full British jurisdiction and the residents and
conveniently located bank accounts made to pay proper taxes, granted
independence or, in the case under discussion, restored to France where
they belong (why have we got them anyway?))
Rosma
Not tax dodging particularly - Ralph's health surely?
'twas neither tax dodging nor health issues that brought me to Switzerland
actually.

Ah, not that Ralph, eh? As you were.
Rosalind Mitchell
2016-02-19 15:04:20 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
I think he wants entry elsewhere and the "County Set" would be a
useful extra - but Lilian is a bar owner's daughter who spent years in
exile.
No, not in exile. Tax-dodging. She was always free to come home provided
that she paid her taxes on her not inconsiderable wealth.
(It is my considered view that Les Îles Normandes, along with all the
tax-dodging anomalies like Mann, Bermuda and the Caymans, should either
be brought within full British jurisdiction and the residents and
conveniently located bank accounts made to pay proper taxes, granted
independence or, in the case under discussion, restored to France where
they belong (why have we got them anyway?))
Rosma
Not tax dodging particularly - Ralph's health surely?
Why would Ralph's physical health be better provided for in a tax haven,
do you think?

Rosma
krw
2016-02-19 15:49:01 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by krw
[...]
I believe that the climate in the CI was generally better for Ralph
hence he retired there.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Marjorie
2016-02-21 11:17:18 UTC
Whoever dreamed up this SL has obviously been reading too much Mills and
Boon of the 1950s (not that I'm an expert, you understand!). However
leaving aside the daft offer to Lilian, Justin has said that he wants to
spend more time in Ambridge and get to know what I suppose would be called
the Movers and Shakers. But why? I live in a rural village and you wouldn't
need many fingers to count those up. The most moving and shaking that's
done is on a tractor. I suppose the ones that most qualify are the leading
lights of a particular political party, and we know that TA won't go there.
So, seriously, why does Justin want an entry into Ambridge and its
environs?
I agree, I live in a village and the only moving and shaking that's done
is at the meetings of the Parish Council, the church, or the occasional
charity drinks event or BBQ.

And what help would Lilian be anyway? We rarely hear of her leaving the
village. She doesn't get involved with charities or worthy causes or
local politics; Lynda would be a better contact, if that's what he wants.

And Lilian is a fag-raddled 68-year-old. Justin sounds younger, and if
he wants a mistress on the side he would surely be looking for someone
younger still (oh, and not the sister-in-law of a key land-owning farmer
who is an important business contact).
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
LFS
2016-02-21 11:56:22 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
I don't think Justin sounds younger. He's not just interested in
Ambridge: he's given her what sounds like quite an extensive list of
events he wants to attend. Lilian would know more business people in the
county than Lynda, I imagine: she said she gets a regular invitation to
the Borsetshire businesswoman of the year dinner.

He fancies Lilian, wants to extend his local and business networks, is
used to getting what he wants and isn't much bothered about what anyone
thinks about their relationship. I'm quite enjoying this story line: at
the moment Lilian is the most interesting woman in TA, after Carol
Tregorran.
2016-02-21 14:15:55 UTC
Post by LFS
Borsetshire businesswoman of the year dinner.
I really feel Kate should win this.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Jim Easterbrook
2016-02-21 18:00:52 UTC
Post by LFS
Borsetshire businesswoman of the year dinner.
I really feel Kate should win this.
Her record of zero customer complaints is admirable.
2016-02-21 14:03:28 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Me too. Same around here.

As for the storyline, I think this a poor attempt to find a theme for FAL.
They should never have written Matt out. I don't know who was responsible;
this editor, who seems never to have listened to TA in any seriousness or
the beetle, who was sabotaging future success after she retired!
--
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
PS oddly the beeb have not yet been in touch?
krw
2016-02-21 14:16:20 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
This editor was responsible.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2016-02-21 14:28:18 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Not surprised. Like in industry, new boss immediately imposes their ideas,
usually brought from previous job, without evaluation but to demonstrate
they are now in charge and worth whatever inflated salary they are
receiving. They fail and move on within three years. Like most HMG
Ministers.*

*just a perception, maybe a bad example.
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
krw
2016-02-21 15:08:31 UTC
Like most HMG
Ministers.*
By and large they are lasting longer under Cameron thanks to the coalition.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sally Thompson
2016-02-21 15:46:08 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Yes, that was rumoured certainly. Perhaps Matt's best friend will be
persuaded to come back under a new editor. Of course, if FAL and Justin
have a thing going by then, it would put a large cat among the pigeons and
could be quite fun.
2016-02-21 16:31:28 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Do you mean a tiger amongst the pussy cats?
"Let's all calm down shall we? Let's forget there is a llama in here at all."
(Lynda Snell, 010603)
Sally Thompson
2016-02-21 17:29:04 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Marjorie
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Oh very good! Give that man a coconut.
2016-02-21 18:24:04 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, sally.thompson000
@gmail.com.invalid says...
Sorry about the attribs.
They should never have written Matt out. I don't know who was responsible;
this editor, who seems never to have listened to TA in any seriousness or
the beetle, who was sabotaging future success after she retired!
This editor was responsible.
Yes, that was rumoured certainly. Perhaps Matt's best friend will be
persuaded to come back under a new editor. Of course, if FAL and Justin
have a thing going by then, it would put a large cat among the pigeons and
could be quite fun.
A new editor _could_ bring him back, but it would be seen as a very
pointed snub to SOC (who get rid of Matt in the first place).

A seasoned campaigner who has risen through the ranks of the BBC would
never take a step like this, it might come back to bite him/her.

I am reminded of Sir Humphrey advising Jim Hacker that some decision was
"courageous".

Anne B
2016-02-21 14:33:48 UTC
As for the storyline, I think this a poor attempt to find a
theme for FAL.
They should never have written Matt out. I don't know who was
responsible;
this editor, who seems never to have listened to TA in any
seriousness or
the beetle, who was sabotaging future success after she
retired!
Editor in Waiting and Btms. aka Dame Jean Harvey
Hear, hear!

But if Dallas could resurrect Bobby Ewing, why can't TA bring
back Matt? He could have fallen out with his new whatever by now
and recogniseed when he was better off. A stand-off between
Justin and Matt could be very entertaining :)

Anne B