OT: Curiosity
Jenny M Benson
2018-02-10 12:24:41 UTC
I've just listened to an episode of The Museum of Curiosity in which
Richard Curtis donated the word "googies", being an Australian term for
eggs.

My family always referred to eggs as "goggies" or "goggy-eggs", which
was almost certainly introduced by my father but I have never stopped to
wonder if the term was in general use or specific to my family. Do
otherrats know or use goggy for egg?

Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it is a
corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians inherited it
from us and amended it

And WHY goggy or googy? (Not sure if spelling should be -y or-ie.)
Jenny M Benson
Steve Hague
2018-02-10 13:03:13 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've just listened to an episode of The Museum of Curiosity in which
Richard Curtis donated the word "googies", being an Australian term for
eggs.
My family always referred to eggs as "goggies" or "goggy-eggs", which
was almost certainly introduced by my father but I have never stopped to
wonder if the term was in general use or specific to my family.  Do
otherrats know or use goggy for egg?
Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it is a
corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians inherited it
from us and amended it
And WHY goggy or googy?  (Not sure if spelling should be -y or-ie.)
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
Steve

---
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-02-10 13:13:50 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've just listened to an episode of The Museum of Curiosity in which
Richard Curtis donated the word "googies", being an Australian term
for eggs.
My family always referred to eggs as "goggies" or "goggy-eggs",
which was almost certainly introduced by my father but I have never
stopped to wonder if the term was in general use or specific to my
family.  Do otherrats know or use goggy for egg?
^
I've not encountered it.
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it
is a corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians
inherited it from us and amended it
Probably! It doesn't _sound_ like an aboriginal word (did Australia even
_have_ chickens before the Europeans?). Or any other of the local
influences (Indonesian etcetera). [No, I won't ask my brother (-:]
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
And WHY goggy or googy?  (Not sure if spelling should be -y or-ie.)
Probably -ie in Oz.
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
Steve
I've come across that one (though I _think_ only for the fruit rather
than the person).
Post by Steve Hague
---
Tray, menu, settings, untick

P. S.: my email software says there is a non-ASCII character in Jenny's
text, as the first of two of what appear to me to be spaces after the
full stop after "family" (where I've indicated). Is there a setting that
would turn them off?

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
carolet
2018-02-10 13:27:53 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it
is a corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians
inherited it from us and amended it
Probably! It doesn't _sound_ like an aboriginal word (did Australia even
_have_ chickens before the Europeans?). Or any other of the local
influences (Indonesian etcetera). [No, I won't ask my brother (-:]
I doubt that they had chickens back then, but they did have birds, and
those birds laid eggs, and I'd be surprised if the aboriginal people did
not eat them from time to time, and therefore have some name for them.
CaroleT
Btms
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Jenny M Benson
2018-02-10 14:25:14 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
Yes, I've long heard and used "goosegogs" too. (Also, just me,
"goosegogalorum" for some entirely unknown reason!)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
P. S.: my email software says there is a non-ASCII character in Jenny's
text, as the first of two of what appear to me to be spaces after the
full stop after "family" (where I've indicated). Is there a setting that
would turn them off?
What I typed was "full stop space space" - as I (nearly) always do. (I
typed always, then on reflection went back and added (nearly). I'm
using Plain Text and Unicode. I'm afraid 2 spaces after a full stop is
engrained in me now.
Jenny M Benson
Vicky
2018-02-10 18:13:40 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:25:14 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
Yes, I've long heard and used "goosegogs" too.
And in N London too.
Vicky
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-02-10 19:10:06 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
P. S.: my email software says there is a non-ASCII character in Jenny's
text, as the first of two of what appear to me to be spaces after the
full stop after "family" (where I've indicated). Is there a setting that
would turn them off?
What I typed was "full stop space space" - as I (nearly) always do. (I
typed always, then on reflection went back and added (nearly). I'm
using Plain Text and Unicode. I'm afraid 2 spaces after a full stop is
engrained in me now.
Well, _something_ between you and me is turning the first one into
something mysterious. (It's not the double space that I'm objecting to -
well, not objecting, just commenting on.)
I expect this'll tell me there's something odd after your dots.

(Post retrieved from outbox to say:) No, it didn't! Most odd.

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse.)
Rosemary Miskin
2018-02-10 18:24:53 UTC
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
+1

That's in the East Midlands, by the way.

Rosemary
Sam Plusnet
2018-02-10 21:16:09 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
+1
That's in the East Midlands, by the way.
Ditto & ditto on the goosegogs, but I've never heard of goggies or
goggie eggs.
Sam Plusnet
BrritSki
<languid wave> from a Coventrian...
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
2018-02-11 21:24:02 UTC
Also in Gloucester (West Midlands)
Mike
2018-02-12 09:10:45 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
+1
That's in the East Midlands, by the way.
Also in Gloucester (West Midlands)
And South Somerset.
Toodle Pip
krw
2018-02-12 10:00:56 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
+1
That's in the East Midlands, by the way.
Also in Gloucester (West Midlands)
And South Somerset.
And Hampshire. I had to go in the garden and pick them.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
the Omrud
2018-02-13 16:34:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
+1
That's  in the  East Midlands,  by the way.
Also in Gloucester (West Midlands)
And South Somerset.
And Hampshire.  I had to go in the garden and pick them.
and Warwickshire. But Wife from Yorkshire calls them goosebobs.
David
agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
2018-02-12 11:07:01 UTC
But my wife, from Surrey, knows the word only from me.
Mike
2018-02-12 11:47:09 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
Post by ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
Also in Gloucester (West Midlands)
But my wife, from Surrey, knows the word only from me.
‘It’s only the hairs on a gooseberry that stop it from being a grape.’
Toodle Pip
Btms
2018-02-10 19:06:45 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've just listened to an episode of The Museum of Curiosity in which
Richard Curtis donated the word "googies", being an Australian term for
eggs.
My family always referred to eggs as "goggies" or "goggy-eggs", which
was almost certainly introduced by my father but I have never stopped to
wonder if the term was in general use or specific to my family.  Do
otherrats know or use goggy for egg?
Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it is a
corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians inherited it
from us and amended it
And WHY goggy or googy?  (Not sure if spelling should be -y or-ie.)
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
Steve
---
Et moi. cornwall in my case.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Jenny M Benson
2018-02-12 10:05:53 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Where and when I was growing up, gooseberries were known as "goosegogs".
I'm sure there must be a connection. "Goose Berries" could be
interpreted as "Goose Eggs" and perhaps "gogs" was once a
well-recognized term for eggs, was carried over to Australia and
corrupted slightly, but remembered after it was largely forgotten here.

I will never know whether my father picked up the term from an
Australian or it it was still in limited use here when he was growing
up. (He was born in 1918.)
Jenny M Benson
Fenny
2018-02-10 21:52:37 UTC
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 12:24:41 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've just listened to an episode of The Museum of Curiosity in which
Richard Curtis donated the word "googies", being an Australian term for
eggs.
My family always referred to eggs as "goggies" or "goggy-eggs", which
was almost certainly introduced by my father but I have never stopped to
wonder if the term was in general use or specific to my family. Do
otherrats know or use goggy for egg?
Presuming it is fairly widely recognized in the UK, I wonder if it is a
corruption of the Australian word, or if the Australians inherited it
from us and amended it
And WHY goggy or googy? (Not sure if spelling should be -y or-ie.)
I've heard of it, buy no idea where or when. I should think it was
probably transported to Oz along with some of our native population.
--
Fenny