OT on seeing lots of articles and posts about selfish pensioners
2017-08-10 09:03:26 UTC
I see these posts with reference to those who voted for Brexit and
have good pensions, travel, are much better off than the young who
have to pay their pensions etc. I can just about manage ok and am not
getting the full state pension, although I get a teachers one, that i
paid into. And I voted remain, so feel grumpy about the picture
painted of pensioners. this on gransnet had lots of good points
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1239319-Not-my-fault-I-was-born-in-the-early-50s?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Thurs%2010%20August%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_content=Thurs%2010%20August%20-%20Gransnet%20Daily%20Newsletter+CID_5135eafe147322368f746be45161ce94&utm_source=newsletters&utm_term=Not%20my%20fault%20Im%20a%20baby%20boomer
Many pensioners are not rich and quite a number are struggling and
very badly off. Some of us had very large interest rates on the
mortgages we had to buy our homes and worked hard and saved to do so,
as posters on the gransnet thread say.
2017-08-10 14:00:00 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
Quite. We once took in a lodger to meet the mortgage payments that had sky
rocketed. Our first house was pretty awful but all we could
afford..........even though at that time we had a 2.5% mortgage, no
children and we both worked in the City.
2017-08-10 20:45:29 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
YANAOU, I took in B&B guests and provided suppers too at one point.
Our mortgage interest went up from 12 to 16% between contract and
completion.
Peter Percival
2017-08-10 14:22:05 UTC
Post by Vicky
I see these posts with reference to those who voted for Brexit and
have good pensions, travel, are much better off than the young who
have to pay their pensions etc.
None of which relates to leaving the EU.

One interesting side effect of the vote to leave the EU is that it
exposed how very strong antidemocratic feeling is in this country.
Which is ok by me; people should be at liberty to make their antipathy
towards democracy plain. What bothers me is that it isn't just a case of

you should have voted remain because that's what I want

it's more

you voted leave because you're stupid and a racist.
to me what you really mean.
2017-08-10 14:23:22 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky
I see these posts with reference to those who voted for Brexit and
have good pensions, travel, are much better off than the young who
have to pay their pensions etc.
None of which relates to leaving the EU.
One interesting side effect of the vote to leave the EU is that it
exposed how very strong antidemocratic feeling is in this country.
Which is ok by me; people should be at liberty to make their antipathy
towards democracy plain. What bothers me is that it isn't just a case of
you should have voted remain because that's what I want
it's more
you voted leave because you're stupid and a racist.
Wheeeel this is a first; I totally agree with you.