post epi spoiler 2nd Apr 2018
2018-04-02 18:17:41 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?

2018-04-03 02:00:45 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).
Serena Blanchflower
2018-04-03 07:31:27 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Q. What happened to the hyena that swallowed an Oxo cube?
A. He made a laughing stock of himself.
Vicky
2018-04-03 08:00:47 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 08:31:27 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Also Jim's first reactions felt ratyher unsympathetic. Sort of you
never were any good at anything and now you can't even keep your
marriage together, it must be your fault. He got more sympathetic
towards the end but I'd not want to move in with him if he treated me
as he does Alastair. I'd be in his house and he'd be criticising and
telling me what to do.
2018-04-03 08:05:34 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
2018-04-03 08:22:04 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
I think they do have a surgery, in some of the outbuildings at the
Stables. They also have a lot of very expensive equipment, which they
invested in when Anisha joined the practice.

Apart from that, you're right, they do seem to be missing a lot of
people who are needed to run a veterinary practice. This has been
commented on a number of times over the years, I think.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-03 19:34:23 UTC
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
I think they do have a surgery, in some of the outbuildings at the
Stables. They also have a lot of very expensive equipment, which they
invested in when Anisha joined the practice.
Apart from that, you're right, they do seem to be missing a lot of
people who are needed to run a veterinary practice. This has been
commented on a number of times over the years, I think.
I agree they'd normally need at least admin. staff. Would they need
nurses etc. if their main business is large farm animals, not normally
dealt with in the surgery? (I genuinely don't know.)

He who prides himself on giving what he thinks the public wants is often
creating a fictitious demand for low standards which he will then satisfy.
- Lord Reith
Serena Blanchflower
2018-04-03 19:43:46 UTC
I agree they'd normally need at least admin. staff. Would they need
nurses etc. if their main business is large farm animals, not normally
dealt with in the surgery? (I genuinely don't know.)
They would certainly need vet nurses for their horsepittle. We've heard
tell of them doing pretty major surgery on horses and investing in a lot
of expensive kit to allow them to do more. Animals who've been
anaesthetised will need to be pretty closely monitored for a while after
they come out of surgery.

We also hear of Alistair doing whatever is needed for small animals in
the village and have, sometimes, heard them being taken to his surgery.
Again, if he's doing anything more complex than a injection, he would
normally want a vet nurse around to assist (if only to restrain the
animal while they work).
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast. (Anon)
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2018-04-04 05:29:48 UTC
*Date:* Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:43:46 +0100
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I agree they'd normally need at least admin. staff. Would they
need nurses etc. if their main business is large farm animals,
not normally dealt with in the surgery? (I genuinely don't know.)
They would certainly need vet nurses for their horsepittle. We've
heard tell of them doing pretty major surgery on horses and
investing in a lot of expensive kit to allow them to do more.
Animals who've been anaesthetised will need to be pretty closely
monitored for a while after they come out of surgery.
We also hear of Alistair doing whatever is needed for small animals
in the village and have, sometimes, heard them being taken to his
surgery. Again, if he's doing anything more complex than a
injection, he would normally want a vet nurse around to assist (if
only to restrain the animal while they work).
I think they're basing it on the James Herriot stories. They had two or
three vets and no one else. They did all the work, assisting each other
when necessary. I doubt this would work in a modern practice.

Steph.
LFS
2018-04-04 06:34:27 UTC
On 04/04/2018 06:29,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
*Date:* Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:43:46 +0100
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Exactly!

Similarly for the doctor's practice which is probably based on A. J.
Cronin's novels.

Ambridge residents never seem to consult doctors much - or dentists, ever.
2018-04-04 07:01:10 UTC
On 04/04/2018 06:29,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
*Date:* Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:43:46 +0100
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Tbf there isn’t much of a story in a trip to the doctor unless it is
serious. Oooherr
I hope this isn’t an idea for them.
2018-04-04 07:48:23 UTC
On 04/04/2018 06:29,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
*Date:* Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:43:46 +0100
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I believe that Shula may be placing herself in the hands of DocDickLock
quite frequently these days. Fnarr-fnarr.
2018-04-04 10:45:39 UTC
On 04/04/2018 06:29,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
*Date:* Tue, 3 Apr 2018 20:43:46 +0100
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. There are far more things that a vet can
do nowadays which simply wouldn't have been an option for James Herriot.

For example, one of my cats was ill, earlier this year, and was admitted
as an in patient, for a day or so on a drip. He also had numerous blood
tests and, if they hadn't given the necessary answers they would have
been followed up with a scan or two. All of which will have involved
veterinary nurses. I doubt any of those would have been an option, in
James Herriot's day - I rather doubt that even antibiotics would have
been routinely available for veterinary use at that time.

Plus, until recently, Alistair didn't even have another vet to assist him.
Q. What happened when the Ice Monster ate a curry?
A. He blew his cool
LFS
2018-04-04 06:30:50 UTC
I agree they'd normally need at least admin. staff. Would they need
nurses etc. if their main business is large farm animals, not normally
dealt with in the surgery? (I genuinely don't know.)
They would certainly need vet nurses for their horsepittle.  We've heard
tell of them doing pretty major surgery on horses and investing in a lot
of expensive kit to allow them to do more.  Animals who've been
anaesthetised will need to be pretty closely monitored for a while after
they come out of surgery.
We also hear of Alistair doing whatever is needed for small animals in
the village and have, sometimes, heard them being taken to his surgery.
Again, if he's doing anything more complex than a injection, he would
normally want a vet nurse around to assist  (if only to restrain the
animal while they work).
I think it's all a bit like All Creatures Great and Small. I don't
remember the vets in that having any assistants and watching old TV
programmes seems to be about the level of the research on which the SWs
rely.
2018-04-03 11:31:20 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
It's all of a piece with the way that business is conducted in Ambridge.
KRW and I have commented on this many times. I think Elizabeth did once
consult her accountant but it seems that all the small business owners
in the village are perfectly competent to deal with their own
record-keeping and tax returns.

This is common to all soaps because the mechanics of business are boring
unless they can be linked in some way to a plot device. But I think it
has a significant knock-on effect. Competent cooks believe that they
could run their own restaurant, people often like the idea of running a
country pub, a B&B at the seaside sounds like a good retirement project.
Their frequent failures are then fodder for TV shows where an expert is
parachuted in to sort out a business which is usually failing because
the owner has no idea how to calculate costs properly.

Even where businesses fail in soaps, the consequences are glossed over.
John Finlay
2018-04-03 11:48:42 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
I personally can't see how Kate manages to deal with HMRC - wasn't there
some confusion a few months ago about keeping all her paperwork for
three years in case of tax difficulties?
krw
2018-04-03 15:31:47 UTC
wasn't there some confusion a few months ago about keeping all her
paperwork for three years in case of tax difficulties?
Brian found a home for it because he knows she needs it.
2018-04-03 11:55:17 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 12:31:20 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
This is common to all soaps because the mechanics of business are boring
unless they can be linked in some way to a plot device. But I think it
has a significant knock-on effect. Competent cooks believe that they
could run their own restaurant, people often like the idea of running a
country pub, a B&B at the seaside sounds like a good retirement project.
Their frequent failures are then fodder for TV shows where an expert is
parachuted in to sort out a business which is usually failing because
the owner has no idea how to calculate costs properly.
This was where Husgod's appreciation for the magic of computers came in
back in the '80s. He delighted in finally being able to construct a form
(based upon supercalc) to calculate costs - which in printing can have a
number of variables which make a big difference and had previously required
the whole calculation being manually generated again - the whatif? factor.
This meant anyone could, in theory, quote for a job.

I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
2018-04-03 12:23:54 UTC
Premium In Addition or Pain In Arse ?
Penny
2018-04-03 15:09:45 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 14:23:54 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Premium In Addition or Pain In Arse ?
Yes ;)
2018-04-03 15:14:49 UTC
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 16:09:45 +0100, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Premium In Addition or Pain In Arse ?
Yes ;)
Just remembered - some of them were such a pain their quote got doubled -
we still got the job :(
2018-04-03 15:17:31 UTC
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Premium In Addition or Pain In Arse ?
Yes ;)
Just remembered - some of them were such a pain their quote got doubled -
we still got the job :(
They probably had to pay as the competition refused yhe business.
2018-04-03 12:59:42 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
Ah, spreadsheets...
Post by Penny
I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Love it! What sort of business?
2018-04-03 15:11:41 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:59:42 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Penny
I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Love it! What sort of business?
Printing - as mentioned ^^^up there ^^^
2018-04-03 15:37:30 UTC
Post by Penny
I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Love it! What sort of business?
Printing - as mentioned ^^^up there ^^^
Oops. Sorry. It's Tuesday and I'm confused.
2018-04-03 16:02:10 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 16:37:30 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
Love it! What sort of business?
Printing - as mentioned ^^^up there ^^^
Oops. Sorry. It's Tuesday and I'm confused.
I'm usually confused - thanks for telling me what day it is :)
2018-04-03 15:32:46 UTC
When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
An extra 10 or 15%?
2018-04-03 16:04:53 UTC
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 16:32:46 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
An extra 10 or 15%?
I remember a lot of things from (nearly) 40 years ago but not that - I just
generated the invoices - another triumph for computerisation!
2018-04-03 19:38:03 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
I was surprised by the basic hourly rate he applied for the labour element
but he had calculated this from overheads on premises, heating, lighting
etc as well as man-power. When I built the customer database we included a
PIA field so known 'difficult' customers had a premium added to every
order.
I like it! Reminds me of the SEP field, though that's more like a
magnetic field rather than a column in a spreadsheet; things that can be
enveloped in a "someone else's problem" field are ...

- Lord Reith
krw
2018-04-03 15:31:15 UTC
Post by LFS
Even where businesses fail in soaps, the consequences are glossed over.
In 'Enders I stopped watching when they were carrying the books around
for someone to "look over". No-one can make sense of the "books"!

And Brian last week was bemoaning the potential loss of the Berrow
contract again - he lost it before and was going to sack everyone and
didn't - this time it was going to damage his balance sheet. It wasn't
although it might change the p/l a bit.

I do wish someone would at least edit the nonsense.
the Omrud
2018-04-04 11:07:23 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
I suppose it's the same for TV cops, who never seem to have to do any
paperwork or take proper notes from informal interviews or transcribe
them into to the PNC.
David
Btms
2018-04-04 13:12:10 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by LFS
[...]
Even documentaries don’t confuse entertainment with the boring and tedious
reality of processes and admin.
2018-04-04 23:37:31 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 13:12:10 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by the Omrud
I suppose it's the same for TV cops, who never seem to have to do any
paperwork or take proper notes from informal interviews or transcribe
them into to the PNC.
Even documentaries don’t confuse entertainment with the boring and tedious
reality of processes and admin.
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
2018-04-05 13:41:24 UTC
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
Or buy condoms.
2018-04-05 13:48:48 UTC
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
Or buy condoms.
Is this of interest to we listeners?
2018-04-05 14:20:26 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 13:48:48 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
Or buy condoms.
Is this of interest to we listeners?
No more than hearing the admin details of any of the businesses.
2018-04-05 16:33:11 UTC
Is this of interest to we listeners?
I'm as pedantic as the next umrat but I'm not intending to criticize
here. I agree that we is the correct pronoun and I'm wondering why.

I think "Is this of interest to us" in correct because "us" is the
indirect object of the verb.

I think "Is this of interest to we listeners" is correct because "we
listeners" is a clause and "we" is the subject of the clause.

Am I fluffy?
Btms
2018-04-05 17:52:42 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Btms
Is this of interest to we listeners?
I'm as pedantic as the next umrat but I'm not intending to criticize
here. I agree that we is the correct pronoun and I'm wondering why.
I think "Is this of interest to us" in correct because "us" is the
indirect object of the verb.
I think "Is this of interest to we listeners" is correct because "we
listeners" is a clause and "we" is the subject of the clause.
Am I fluffy?
You may be grammatically correct but the phrase is one I believe I have
heard on TV and rajo with a tone of pomposity. I was attempting to reflect
this.
2018-04-05 15:30:34 UTC
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
Or buy condoms.
We haven’t heard any mention of Johnny for a while....
2018-04-06 15:09:03 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I suppose it's the same for TV cops, who never seem to have to do any
paperwork or take proper notes from informal interviews or transcribe
them into to the PNC.
Even documentaries don’t confuse entertainment with the boring and tedious
reality of processes and admin.
No one in Ambridge ever goes to the loo (except to take drugs).
And get locked in (Mr Pullen in the village pub)

Sincerely Chris

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-04-03 14:33:25 UTC
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
Well, not cow vets anyway.

[has visions of taking the cats to the vet's surgery only to find the
waiting room full of Buttercup]

Rotaa
Btms
2018-04-03 14:54:26 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
Well, not cow vets anyway.
[has visions of taking the cats to the vet's surgery only to find the
waiting room full of Buttercup]
Rotaa
I get they specialise in farm animals but there must be other patients in
the area. And no mention of admin staff?
2018-04-03 15:34:00 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
Well, not cow vets anyway.
[has visions of taking the cats to the vet's surgery only to find the
waiting room full of Buttercup]
Rotaa
Which is why if you want a home visit you give the cow whatever you have
got and then once the vet is gone you just take some of the drugs -
saves on trying to get an appointment at the docs.
2018-04-03 17:16:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd.  They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery.  I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the
practice.  Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
Well, not cow vets anyway.
[has visions of taking the cats to the vet's surgery only to find the
waiting room full of Buttercup]
Rotaa
Which is why if you want a home visit you give the cow whatever you have
got and then once the vet is gone you just take some of the drugs -
saves on trying to get an appointment at the docs.
I was just listening to an item on PM about the rise in syphilis
rates... I probably shouldn't go there, should I?

2018-04-03 19:23:39 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Btms
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
Well, not cow vets anyway.
[has visions of taking the cats to the vet's surgery only to find the
waiting room full of Buttercup]
But Alistair is also a small animal vet; we've certainly heard of Hilda
Ogden being taken to his surgery. He and Anisha also have an up to date
hospital, equipped for operating on horses.
Be happy. It's one way of being wise. (Colette)
krw
2018-04-03 15:28:55 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Swerving.........I find the veterinary business odd. They seem not to
employ nurses or receptionists/accounting staff and nor do they appear to
have a surgery. I can understand why they would not cast all these folk
but it sounds to me as if they simply don’t have any in the practice. Am I
right or have I missed stuff?
There is Denise oft mentioned never heard who apparently does the
accounts and some sort of other assistant work.
2018-04-03 17:01:56 UTC
[...]
Right. Do you recall mention of veterinary nurses? I haven’t heard of
Denise but I have heard of de Nephew.
2018-04-03 17:16:01 UTC
I haven’t heard of
Denise but I have heard of de Nephew.
Denise definitely exists but the mikes cannot hear her.
2018-04-04 00:46:16 UTC
  I haven’t heard of
Denise but I have heard of de Nephew.
Denise definitely exists but the mikes cannot hear her.
Hoarse whisperer?
2018-04-04 07:45:50 UTC
  I haven’t heard of
Denise but I have heard of de Nephew.
Denise definitely exists but the mikes cannot hear her.
Hoarse whisperer?
Is that the mane reason?
2018-04-03 08:52:55 UTC
Do you think it’s the piano playing or the amorous music teacher that’s
putting Alastair off?
Sincerely Chris
I think it's just that he's not ready to live with the prof. full-time,
or large-time anyway.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, if Alistair moved in with his dad,
news of the separation would get round the village very quickly. Given
that Alistair isn't prepared to admit it to himself yet, he certainly
wouldn't want the whole village talking about it.
Not to mention living with Jazzer.