Contractoral arrangements
2017-04-12 13:17:59 UTC
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
2017-04-12 14:15:19 UTC
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
Yes, I was puzzled about that. How many tractors does the average farmer
have?
2017-04-12 14:36:21 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
Yes, I was puzzled about that. How many tractors does the average farmer
have?
That would depend on the size of the farm and the acreage to be worked.
Brookfield may well have one plus a very old one as they subcontract the
arable work to Adam. It is not obvious to me that they actually need a
tractor as they have the quad bike for herding cattle and Adam does the
arable. Nor are they taking feed out to the cows in this weather. So
the story seems unlikely to me.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-04-12 14:42:21 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
Yes, I was puzzled about that. How many tractors does the average farmer
have?
That would depend on the size of the farm and the acreage to be worked.
Brookfield may well have one plus a very old one as they subcontract the
arable work to Adam. It is not obvious to me that they actually need a
tractor as they have the quad bike for herding cattle and Adam does the
arable. Nor are they taking feed out to the cows in this weather. So
the story seems unlikely to me.
I suppose they need at least one for breaking the posts with, I hope that
the 'mend your tractor' reports back that they found particles of fence
post in the half shaft oil seal...
2017-04-12 17:10:33 UTC
I suppose they need at least one for breaking the posts with, I hope that
the 'mend your tractor' reports back that they found particles of fence
post in the half shaft oil seal...
I was thinking that the report would identify that the broken part
"looked like it had run into something and been damaged".
2017-04-12 15:13:50 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
Yes, I was puzzled about that. How many tractors does the average farmer
have?
That would depend on the size of the farm and the acreage to be worked.
Brookfield may well have one plus a very old one as they subcontract the
arable work to Adam. It is not obvious to me that they actually need a
tractor as they have the quad bike for herding cattle and Adam does the
arable. Nor are they taking feed out to the cows in this weather. So
the story seems unlikely to me.
There could be one used for carting animal food more than a quad bike would
manage, perhaps? This doesnt explain the tractor references of course.
The problem may be a switch of writers between one group of epis and
another and an Editor not doing his job properly.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
krw
2017-04-12 15:26:49 UTC
There could be one used for carting animal food more than a quad bike would
manage, perhaps? This doesnt explain the tractor references of course.
The problem may be a switch of writers between one group of epis and
another and an Editor not doing his job properly.
I would agree about carting food - but not at this time of year. Crops
planted by now, lambs born, calves born, not fertilising the paddocks as
that costs money and is not part of the NZ system.

You cannot be suggesting that another Editor does not have the faintest
idea what they are doing? Two in a row?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
DavidK
2017-04-12 16:36:07 UTC
There could be one used for carting animal food more than a quad bike would
manage, perhaps? This doesnt explain the tractor references of course.
The problem may be a switch of writers between one group of epis and
another and an Editor not doing his job properly.
I would agree about carting food - but not at this time of year. Crops
planted by now, lambs born, calves born, not fertilising the paddocks as
that costs money and is not part of the NZ system.
You cannot be suggesting that another Editor does not have the faintest
idea what they are doing? Two in a row?
and there is the geriatric tractor that Bert used to win ploughing
contests with.
John Finlay
2017-04-12 21:43:29 UTC
Post by DavidK
There could be one used for carting animal food more than a quad bike would
manage, perhaps? This doesnt explain the tractor references of course.
The problem may be a switch of writers between one group of epis and
another and an Editor not doing his job properly.
I would agree about carting food - but not at this time of year. Crops
planted by now, lambs born, calves born, not fertilising the paddocks as
that costs money and is not part of the NZ system.
You cannot be suggesting that another Editor does not have the faintest
idea what they are doing? Two in a row?
and there is the geriatric tractor that Bert used to win ploughing
contests with.
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.

John Finlay
krw
2017-04-12 22:26:22 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by DavidK
[...]
Half a million - quietly forgotten.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-04-13 06:50:52 UTC
In message <ocm73l$1hmq$***@gioia.aioe.org>, John Finlay
<***@hotmail.com> writes:
[]
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch
of the family are on their uppers yet.
John Finlay
Agreed; David was wincing at the cost of the tractor hire and repair (as
was I!), but didn't seem to consider not paying it or postponing; I'm
sure that they could have managed without it (even if they _don't_ have
another serviceable one) for a while if finances were that bad.

What _was_ Pip doing on the tractor again?

782.55 - The Number of The Beast (including VAT)
Chris Brown
2017-04-15 22:33:43 UTC
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch
of the family are on their uppers yet.
John Finlay
Agreed; David was wincing at the cost of the tractor hire and repair (as
was I!),
Yebbut doesn't David always sound like he's wincing?

2017-04-13 07:21:45 UTC
John Finlay <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

[]
.
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.
Gosh, really? I hadn't heard this. Where on earth did this come from?
Not property I guess as that was in the North East.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Sally Thompson
2017-04-13 11:33:43 UTC
.
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.
Gosh, really? I hadn't heard this. Where on earth did this come from?
Not property I guess as that was in the North East.
Wasn't it said that her father had been a bog roll millionaire?
2017-04-13 11:46:24 UTC
.
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.
Gosh, really? I hadn't heard this. Where on earth did this come from?
Not property I guess as that was in the North East.
Wasn't it said that her father had been a bog roll millionaire?
Not sure about millionaire - but the amount seemed to surprise Ruth when
she got it. And yet it has never been spent.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-04-13 12:25:54 UTC
.
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.
Gosh, really? I hadn't heard this. Where on earth did this come from?
Not property I guess as that was in the North East.
Wasn't it said that her father had been a bog roll millionaire?
I think that for every share purchased in the company, they gave you
another free😉
2017-04-13 19:52:43 UTC
.
Post by John Finlay
And as far as the expense is concerned, didn't Ruth inherit almost a
million pounds on the death of her mother? I don't think that branch of
the family are on their uppers yet.
Gosh, really? I hadn't heard this. Where on earth did this come from?
Not property I guess as that was in the North East.
Wasn't it said that her father had been a bog roll millionaire?
Bowater Scott then.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Btms
2017-04-13 07:21:44 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

I would agree about carting food - but not at this time of year. Crops
planted by now, lambs born, calves born, not fertilising the paddocks as
that costs money and is not part of the NZ system.
You cannot be suggesting that another Editor does not have the faintest
idea what they are doing? Two in a row?
But the comment was about why they might need a tractor on Brookfield at
all, not a current use for it.

Yes I am suggesting that another Editor etc etc. Lack of attention to
detail seems common in our time.......sadly.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Chris McMillan
2017-04-14 12:59:48 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
Now D&R are saying they will have to hire a tractor for a week or more....
but only a few days ago Roof was commenting about using another tractor
instead as if they had several others they could use?
Yes, I was puzzled about that. How many tractors does the average farmer
have?
That would depend on the size of the farm and the acreage to be worked.
Brookfield may well have one plus a very old one as they subcontract the
arable work to Adam. It is not obvious to me that they actually need a
tractor as they have the quad bike for herding cattle and Adam does the
arable. Nor are they taking feed out to the cows in this weather. So
the story seems unlikely to me.
But would the tractor that takes winter feed to the animals do every other
job? If Squeak has the tractor at Home Farm, what does Dewvud use?

Or Ruth was banking on borrowing from one of the others so there is only
one

2017-04-14 14:15:30 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
[...]
I would guess there is a fairly modern one used for hauling grain when
Adam is harvesting and for delivering feed to the cattle if they are not
kept in over winter (which I think they are). There is then probably a
very old one for minor jobs. After all David does not do the ploughing
or sowing as that is all down to Adam on the arable. If the new one has
gone kaput it needs fixing but I bet there is an older one which can do
lighter jobs in the meantime.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
steveski
2017-04-14 15:41:34 UTC
I would guess there is a fairly modern one used for hauling grain when
Adam is harvesting and for delivering feed to the cattle if they are not
kept in over winter (which I think they are). There is then probably a
very old one for minor jobs. After all David does not do the ploughing
or sowing as that is all down to Adam on the arable. If the new one has
gone kaput it needs fixing but I bet there is an older one which can do
lighter jobs in the meantime.
I thought that Adam was showing Ed his new bells and whistles tractor a
few months ago BIMBAM . . . ah, was it a combine?
2017-04-14 16:10:51 UTC
I would guess there is a fairly modern one used for hauling grain when
Adam is harvesting and for delivering feed to the cattle if they are not
kept in over winter (which I think they are). There is then probably a
very old one for minor jobs. After all David does not do the ploughing
or sowing as that is all down to Adam on the arable. If the new one has
gone kaput it needs fixing but I bet there is an older one which can do
lighter jobs in the meantime.
I thought that Adam was showing Ed his new bells and whistles tractor a
few months ago BIMBAM . . . ah, was it a combine?
'E's got a brand new combine 'arvester but I don't think anyone's getting a
brand new key ......

2017-04-14 17:11:36 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Mike
[...]
deevid had to sell his big red tractor (think he did some contract work
with that) when there was a financial crisis. Iirc he bought something
less sprauncey to replace it.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Vicky
2017-04-14 17:19:30 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
job? If Squeak has the tractor at Home Farm, what does Dewvud use?
Or Ruth was banking on borrowing from one of the others so there is only
one
I would guess there is a fairly modern one used for hauling grain when
Adam is harvesting and for delivering feed to the cattle if they are not
kept in over winter (which I think they are). There is then probably a
very old one for minor jobs. After all David does not do the ploughing
or sowing as that is all down to Adam on the arable. If the new one has
gone kaput it needs fixing but I bet there is an older one which can do
lighter jobs in the meantime.
Some farming programme was visiting a farmer who was also a successful
author. This meant he didn't have to rely on farming for his income
and could afford a shiny modern tractor to replace the old one he had
before. He had mostly livestock and said it was livestock farmers who
had the second-hand tractors after farmers who farmed crops had
finished with the latest modern ones. Does that mean livestock pays
less well than crops?
2017-04-15 06:08:42 UTC
Post by Vicky
Some farming programme was visiting a farmer who was also a successful
author. This meant he didn't have to rely on farming for his income
and could afford a shiny modern tractor to replace the old one he had
before. He had mostly livestock and said it was livestock farmers who
had the second-hand tractors after farmers who farmed crops had
finished with the latest modern ones. Does that mean livestock pays
less well than crops?
That was Farming Today yesterday. They were visiting James Oswald, two
of whose books I read recently and which I thought were pretty poor.
They're popular enough to have bought him a flashy tractor, though.
2017-04-15 12:52:29 UTC
Post by Vicky
Does that mean livestock pays
less well than crops?
Usually. Crops require less ongoing manpower - for sowing and harvest.
Livestock need all round attention 24/7/52.
tiny.cc/KRWpics