Tom Archer should listen to the Food Programme
2017-07-16 10:36:42 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
2017-07-16 10:57:12 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
He and Pip and Helen should look ino possible other farming methods
too, used by primitive peoples
https://www.indy100.com/article/easter-island-mystery-new-twist-research-ecocide-bristol-university-7841801
2017-07-16 11:09:06 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Mike
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
He and Pip and Helen should look ino possible other farming methods
too, used by primitive peoples
https://www.indy100.com/article/easter-island-mystery-new-twist-research
-ecocide-bristol-university-7841801
I don't think any method used by the Easter Islanders would be a good
idea, given that they died out.

[I thought I'd better read the article before posting the above in case
that's exactly what it said (the URL suggests it might), but I got

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.indy100.com. Cannot
communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s)."

I get this increasingly with my old browser, and know why - but can't
see why something like this _needs_ https.]

I hope you dream a pig.
Penny
2017-07-16 11:43:46 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:09:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
"Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.indy100.com. Cannot
communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s)."
I get this increasingly with my old browser, and know why - but can't
see why something like this _needs_ https.]
I got one of those yesterday on a site I use frequently which doesn't use
https. This is with up-to-date Opera* on a win10 machine.
Nannying browsers are becoming a problem :(

* Not a patch on the pre-chrome build, particularly when it comes to
spell-checking. But a helpful bod on the forums told me how to turn off at
least one of the nannying things which was rendering it unuseable on some
sites.
2017-07-16 16:57:17 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
Post by Mike
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
He and Pip and Helen should look ino possible other farming methods
too, used by primitive peoples
https://www.indy100.com/article/easter-island-mystery-new-twist-research
-ecocide-bristol-university-7841801
I don't think any method used by the Easter Islanders would be a good
idea, given that they died out.
[I thought I'd better read the article before posting the above in case
that's exactly what it said (the URL suggests it might), but I got
"Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.indy100.com. Cannot
communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s)."
I get this increasingly with my old browser, and know why - but can't
see why something like this _needs_ https.]
The story goes that the Rapa Nui people first settled on the island in
1200, after canoeing over from Polynesia, but by the time Europeans
encountered them in the 18th century, large amounts of deforestation
had already happened.

Fish was most likely the most common common source of food for the
islanders and they would build canoes out of the trees. Yet, with a
decreasing amount of trees to choose from, fishing from the ocean was
no longer a viable option.

This then lead to the Rapa Nui relying upon food from the island but
poor farming methods lead to soil erosion and agricultural decline.

However, new research has now potentially blown that theory out of the
water.

A team from Bristol University, combining with work from the
University of Hawaii and Binghamton University suggests that the
evidence of the ecological collapse does not add up.

Their studies of the various botanical, human and faunal remains on
the island lead the researchers to build up a greater understanding of
what the islanders ate and how they farmed for their food.

We were able to paint an in-depth picture of what the ancient
islanders ate, and in the process, learn about their agricultural
methods

Catrine Jarman, the lead author of the study, told IFLScience.

This analysis revealed that the Rapa Nui people never stopped fishing
as half of the protein in their diets came from marine life.

Carl Lipo of Binghampton University said in a statement on Newswise.

We found that there’s a fairly significant marine diet, over time,
throughout history and that people were eating marine resources, and
it wasn’t as though they only had food from terrestrial resources.

We also learned that what they did get from terrestrial resources
came from very modified soils, that they were enriching the soils in
order to grow the crops.

The Rapa Nui people were, not surprisingly, smart about how they
used their resources. And all the misunderstanding comes from our
preconceptions about what subsistence should look like, basically
European farmers thinking, ‘Well, what should a farm look like?’ And
it didn’t look like what they thought, so they assumed something bad
had happened, when in fact it was a perfectly smart thing to do.

Therefore, these findings would indicate that there was no
agricultural collapse and that the Rapa Nui people were actually quite
good at farming.

Jarman added.

This also has wider implications as it allows us to reconsider how
prehistoric populations interacted with their environment without
relying on modern historic sources.

These revelations will now send researchers back to the drawing broad
on this mystery, but don't place any bets on it getting solved anytime
soon.
2017-07-16 12:33:51 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
My dil's mil does loads of this. But owing to language difficulties, I
can't learn how. Much, much nicer than pickles.
2017-07-16 18:23:50 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
My dil's mil does loads of this. But owing to language difficulties, I
can't learn how. Much, much nicer than pickles.
Isn't your daughter-in-law's mother-in-law you?

It's a strange way to refer to yourself though.
2017-07-16 18:49:00 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
My dil's mil does loads of this. But owing to language difficulties, I
can't learn how. Much, much nicer than pickles.
Isn't your daughter-in-law's mother-in-law you?
It's a strange way to refer to yourself though.
It would be if I hadn't written rubbish. I meant her Mother who lives in
Ukraine and finds our veg awful and our soil hopeless. Just saying.
2017-07-16 22:08:31 UTC
Ferentation of fruits and vegetable is todays subject.
My dil's mil does loads of this. But owing to language
difficulties, I
can't learn how. Much, much nicer than pickles.
Isn't your daughter-in-law's mother-in-law you?
It's a strange way to refer to yourself though.
Especially if you have language difficulties communicating with
yourself.

Radio 4 is the civilising influence in this country ... I think it is the most
important institution in this country. - John Humphrys, Radio Times
7-13/06/2003