Employment Practices
2017-09-21 14:30:51 UTC
Tom really is a little s**t isn't he? Clarrie has been an employee of
many years' standing and we all know Susan can be, well, Susan. But
surely talking to the two of them in management speak gobbledegood was
only ever going to get their backs up?

Given their incompetence over employing / not employing Rob in lieu of
Helen they might have sorted out proper employment contracts? And if
they were there for the dairy how can anyone know if they are suitable
for polytunnel working?

Risk assessment, capability assessment, suitability, fitness?

I reckon they should have both refused - Clarrie is 63, Susan is 53 and
the jobs are sufficiently different to those for which they are employed.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-09-21 15:05:14 UTC
Tom really is a little s**t isn't he? Clarrie has been an employee of
many years' standing and we all know Susan can be, well, Susan. But
surely talking to the two of them in management speak gobbledegood was
only ever going to get their backs up?
Given their incompetence over employing / not employing Rob in lieu of
Helen they might have sorted out proper employment contracts? And if
they were there for the dairy how can anyone know if they are suitable
for polytunnel working?
Risk assessment, capability assessment, suitability, fitness?
I reckon they should have both refused - Clarrie is 63, Susan is 53 and
the jobs are sufficiently different to those for which they are employed.
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
2017-09-21 15:35:17 UTC
I reckon they should have both refused - Clarrie is 63, Susan is 53 and
the jobs are sufficiently different to those for which they are employed.
It'd have been interesting to see what happened if they had. But Clarrie
at least needs the money, so doesn't want to rock the boat (a situation
all too many people are in); it would also never occur to her to do so.
Post by Mike
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
They should at least have a written contract.

Also: I thought the dairy (etc.) was really Pat's thing; even with
TomandHelen doing more, wouldn't she at least have had _something_ to
say?

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5
Chris McMillan
2017-09-21 17:37:08 UTC
Post by Mike
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
They should at least have a written contract.
Also: I thought the dairy (etc.) was really Pat's thing; even with
TomandHelen doing more, wouldn't she at least have had _something_ to
say?
Which they will when yoghurt isn't ready to go on time. Tears before
bedtime.

Sincerely Chris
Marjorie
2017-09-26 08:11:03 UTC
Post by Mike
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
They should at least have a written contract.
Also: I thought the dairy (etc.) was really Pat's thing; even with
TomandHelen doing more, wouldn't she at least have had _something_ to say?
Even without a written contract, they have effectively got a contract
now after working there for years. They could simply say no, and
continue turning up at the dairy.

Anyway, who is doing the dairy work now? This doesn't make sense. They
have lost a worker (Johnny) and they need to replace him. Why not try Ed?
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-26 10:47:55 UTC
In message <***@brightview.co.uk>, Marjorie
<***@springequinox.co.uk> writes:
[]
Post by Marjorie
Anyway, who is doing the dairy work now? This doesn't make sense. They
have lost a worker (Johnny) and they need to replace him. Why not try Ed?
Cost, I think Tom would say if you ask him. (And inasmuch as _anybody_
seems to be running things, it seems to be Tom: we've not heard much
from Helen - at all really, apart from over AdamandIan, but certainly on
farm matters. Nor Pat. Nor really Tony, apart from moaning at/about
Johnny's decision.

(Is Johnny happy with his name? I didn't like being called that, but
then it seems Johnny has been all his life, whereas only one person - a
Welsh "aunt" - ever called me it, and I sort of indulged her, as I liked
her, and thinking about it afterwards, it may have been a Welsh habit.
Johnny seems to have bypassed, thank goodness, a lot of the sulky
teenager/young person stage - which is plausible to me, as I think I did
too. [You'd have to ask those who were around me.] But it seems rare, at
least in drama, not to have such a stage.)

I hope you dream a pig.
Penny
2017-09-26 13:37:20 UTC
On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:47:55 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Is Johnny happy with his name? I didn't like being called that, but
then it seems Johnny has been all his life,
The BBC site says 'Johnny used to be known as 'Rich'' - presumably from his
mother's surname, Richards. He seems to be Johnny Phillips these days,
having taken his step-father's name.

I wonder if we will ever hear anything of his half-sister Kylie (fathered
by Clive Horrobin, according to TAE).
2017-09-26 17:48:06 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Is Johnny happy with his name? I didn't like being called that, but
then it seems Johnny has been all his life,
Given that Johnny chose to be called this only a few years ago, I
presume that he is totally happy with it.
Post by Penny
The BBC site says 'Johnny used to be known as 'Rich'' - presumably from his
mother's surname, Richards. He seems to be Johnny Phillips these days,
having taken his step-father's name.
I wonder if we will ever hear anything of his half-sister Kylie (fathered
by Clive Horrobin, according to TAE).
Yes, when Johnny's existence was first known to the residents of
Ambridge he was definitely known as Rich, from his surname. If his name
had been Johnnie then, Pat and Tony would probably have come to the
conclusion that he was John's son much more quickly. (I presume that he
took his step-father's surname some time after he adopted Rich as his
first name.)

It was only when Rich reappearred, wanting to learn to farm, that he
announced that he had decided to be known by a variant of his real name,
Johnny, rather than John, to differentiate himself from his dad.
2017-09-26 16:09:03 UTC
Post by Mike
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
They should at least have a written contract.
Also: I thought the dairy (etc.) was really Pat's thing; even with
TomandHelen doing more, wouldn't she at least have had _something_ to say?
Even without a written contract, they have effectively got a contract
now after working there for years. They could simply say no, and
continue turning up at the dairy.
Anyway, who is doing the dairy work now? This doesn't make sense. They
have lost a worker (Johnny) and they need to replace him. Why not try Ed?
Just what the McToodle’s were thinking...
2017-09-27 09:31:18 UTC
Post by Mike
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
They should at least have a written contract.
Also: I thought the dairy (etc.) was really Pat's thing; even with
TomandHelen doing more, wouldn't she at least have had _something_ to say?
Even without a written contract, they have effectively got a contract
now after working there for years. They could simply say no, and
continue turning up at the dairy.
Anyway, who is doing the dairy work now? This doesn't make sense. They
have lost a worker (Johnny) and they need to replace him. Why not try Ed?
Which anyone but Clarrielurve would have said outright but not her. Tom’s
not thought it through - no change there.

2017-09-21 15:41:47 UTC
Tom really is a little s**t isn't he? Clarrie has been an employee of
many years' standing and we all know Susan can be, well, Susan. But
surely talking to the two of them in management speak gobbledegood was
only ever going to get their backs up?
Given their incompetence over employing / not employing Rob in lieu of
Helen they might have sorted out proper employment contracts? And if
they were there for the dairy how can anyone know if they are suitable
for polytunnel working?
Risk assessment, capability assessment, suitability, fitness?
I reckon they should have both refused - Clarrie is 63, Susan is 53 and
the jobs are sufficiently different to those for which they are employed.
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
Yebut, I think there are Tom's in thiswprld and submissive folk like
Clarrie; not sure Sooozan will take this sh*t.
2017-09-21 16:22:55 UTC
[...]
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Paul Herber
2017-09-21 17:05:16 UTC
[...]
Oo-er, Missus!
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-21 17:12:02 UTC
Tom really is a little s**t isn't he? Clarrie has been an employee of
Tom's management and personnel skills are about as subtle as Rob's bedroom
activities.
Yebut, I think there are Tom's in thiswprld and submissive folk like
Clarrie; not sure Sooozan will take this sh*t.
There are certainly Toms. Clarrie _is_ submissive, but also needs the
money.
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.

Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"
Btms
2017-09-21 17:32:35 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
Her idea that this equates to a managerial role is part of her self
delusion.

This said, the scenario depicted causes me to hear my slightly right wing
Father commenting that "this is why we do need Unions." It is
disgraceful.
2017-09-21 17:34:07 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
Soooooozan attempts to climb the ladder both at work and in her social
life, much to the despair of others - particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
2017-09-21 22:32:36 UTC
particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-09-22 08:12:40 UTC
particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
😀;-)
2017-09-22 09:15:55 UTC
I expect Soozan thinks that "con carne" is French...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-22 10:27:06 UTC
  particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
I expect Soozan thinks that "con carne" is French...
And, like a lot of people, thinks that "a chilli" is a meal with meat in
it.

No, I haven't changed my mind - I'm perfectly happy with the one I have, thank
you.
Paul Herber
2017-09-22 11:51:37 UTC
  particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
I expect Soozan thinks that "con carne" is French...
And, like a lot of people, thinks that "a chilli" is a meal with meat in
it.
and some people like a vegetarian chili con carne.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
BrritSki
2017-09-22 12:33:17 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
  particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
I expect Soozan thinks that "con carne" is French...
And, like a lot of people, thinks that "a chilli" is a meal with meat in
it.
and some people like a vegetarian chili con carne.
Soozan thinks carne means meat and two veg., perfect accompaniment to
her con. Neither of them likes beans, but they always put one in as a
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
John Ashby
2017-09-22 14:25:40 UTC
Soozan thinks carne means meat and two veg., perfect accompaniment to
her con.
:-)

Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.

(Thanks to Brritski for pointing out my confusion between Reply and
Followup)
BrritSki
2017-09-22 14:27:39 UTC
Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.
I understand that self-flicking is not unheard of, but I wouldn't know
anything of that obviously.
John Ashby
2017-09-22 16:09:59 UTC
Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.
I understand that self-flicking is not unheard of, but I wouldn't know
anything of that obviously.
YAPaulHollywoodAICM5Innuendoes.

2017-09-22 17:11:18 UTC
Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.
I understand that self-flicking is not unheard of, but I wouldn't know
anything of that obviously.
YAPaulHollywoodAICM5Innuendoes.
john
This thread seems to be filling up with onanities now.;-)
2017-09-22 19:58:29 UTC
Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.
I understand that self-flicking is not unheard of, but I wouldn't know
anything of that obviously.
YAPaulHollywoodAICM5Innuendoes.
This thread seems to be filling up with onanities now.;-)
Interestingly (or boringly) look up why Onan 'spilled his seed on the
ground' - it's not what most people think it is . . .
Mike Ruddock
2017-09-23 07:20:29 UTC
Post by BrritSki
sort of tribute, and whoever gets the bean has to flick it.
Surely it's whoever doesn't have the bean has to flick it.
I understand that self-flicking is not unheard of, but I wouldn't know
anything of that obviously.
YAPaulHollywoodAICM5Innuendoes.
This thread seems to be filling up with onanities now.;-)
Interestingly (or boringly) look up why Onan 'spilled his seed on the
ground' - it's not what most people think it is . . .
I think that most Roman Catholics are clear about why Onan spilled his seed.

Mike Ruddock
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-09-22 20:46:48 UTC
In message
On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 11:27:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
  particularly long suffering Kneal,
poor sod.
He gets chilli and should be thankful for that.
I expect Soozan thinks that "con carne" is French...
And, like a lot of people, thinks that "a chilli" is a meal with meat in
it.
and some people like a vegetarian chili con carne.
But wouldn't understand if you called it chilli senza carne.

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.
Chris McMillan
2017-09-21 17:37:09 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
But Soozan *thinks* that she's brighter than the average bear now
Chrisduffer's married into a richer family.

2017-09-21 17:38:52 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
But Soozan *thinks* that she's brighter than the average bear now
Chrisduffer's married into a richer family.
Sincerely Chris
..... once a Norrobin....
2017-09-21 17:49:06 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
But Soozan *thinks* that she's brighter than the average bear now
Chrisduffer's married into a richer family.
Sincerely Chris
..... once a Norrobin....
Her sense of entitlement and ambition is no worse than many of the great
and good that hold positions of influence.
2017-09-22 13:20:47 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
But Soozan *thinks* that she's brighter than the average bear now
Chrisduffer's married into a richer family.
Sincerely Chris
..... once a Norrobin....
Her sense of entitlement and ambition is no worse than many of the great
and good that hold positions of influence.
Borchester Green rivalling Slough Comprehensive?

Yebbut she's the haspirational 'Orrobin...
DavidK
2017-09-22 09:16:47 UTC
Post by Mike
She certainly won't see it as a rung up her aspirational ladder!
Am I the only one who finds her aspirational ladder fairly unbelievable?
I know Susan's not that bright, but surely even she can see that there
_is_ no such ladder within the business of that farm, a family business
with only about half a dozen staff, most of whom are the family? AFAIK,
it's not a PLC or anything like.
But Soozan *thinks* that she's brighter than the average bear now
Chrisduffer's married into a richer family.
Sincerely Chris
..... once a Norrobin....
Of course, Susan has influence in another outlet. Remember the outcry
when Helen's shop was thought of as a rival to the village shop? Perhaps
she will start selling alternative umbrella there.