UMRA birthday info for 10 May 2018
Birthday Monitor
2018-05-10 06:20:51 UTC
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
2018-05-10 07:21:09 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!

I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks
others have thrown at him (David Brinkley)
Vicky
2018-05-10 08:20:07 UTC
On Thu, 10 May 2018 08:21:09 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
2018-05-10 11:13:42 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
All three are, or have been, umrats but Heather's the only one I'm still
in touch with. I don't think she's visited umra, in person, for some
time although I have sent a few carrier pigeons, in both directions,
for her.
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style. (Quentin Crisp)
Btms
2018-05-10 20:05:03 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
All three are, or have been, umrats but Heather's the only one I'm still
in touch with. I don't think she's visited umra, in person, for some
time although I have sent a few carrier pigeons, in both directions,
for her.
Was it something we ate?
2018-05-10 21:19:50 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
All three are, or have been, umrats but Heather's the only one I'm still
in touch with. I don't think she's visited umra, in person, for some
time although I have sent a few carrier pigeons, in both directions,
for her.
Was it something we ate?
The carrier pigeons, for example?
2018-05-10 22:12:44 UTC
Was it something we ate?
The carrier pigeons, for example?
A neighbour once gave me - suitably prepared for the cooking pot - a
pigeon which her husband had shot. I proposed to serve it for dinner
when my daughter was visiting me. I happened to have it (on a plate) in
my hand when I remembered to ask my daughter "did I tell you that one of
Dot's lovebirds has died?"

21 years on and she still hasn't forgiven me!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2018-05-10 23:00:30 UTC
Was it something we ate?
The carrier pigeons, for example?
A neighbour once gave me - suitably prepared for the cooking pot - a
pigeon which her husband had shot.  I proposed to serve it for dinner
when my daughter was visiting me.  I happened to have it (on a plate) in
my hand when I remembered to ask my daughter "did I tell you that one of
Dot's lovebirds has died?"
21 years on and she still hasn't forgiven me!
In a similar vein, we remember overhearing the customer who obviously
wanted something to make it easier to let a pet in and out of the house
asking in the ironmonger's shop for a cat trap.

"They're not legal any more, luv," sympathised the assistant. "But I'll
come round and shoot it for you, if you like."

2018-05-11 03:34:46 UTC
Was it something we ate?
The carrier pigeons, for example?
A neighbour once gave me - suitably prepared for the cooking pot - a
pigeon which her husband had shot.  I proposed to serve it for dinner
when my daughter was visiting me.  I happened to have it (on a plate)
in my hand when I remembered to ask my daughter "did I tell you that
one of Dot's lovebirds has died?"
21 years on and she still hasn't forgiven me!
In a similar vein, we remember overhearing the customer who obviously
wanted something to make it easier to let a pet in and out of the house
asking in the ironmonger's shop for a cat trap.
"They're not legal any more, luv," sympathised the assistant. "But I'll
come round and shoot it for you, if you like."
Nick
Ah, the cat flap - what the dyslexic Yorkshireman is wearing this year..

There's only so much you can do... with gravel.
- Charlie Dimmock, RT 2016/7/9-15
Vicky
2018-05-11 08:39:05 UTC
On Fri, 11 May 2018 00:00:30 +0100, Nick Odell
Was it something we ate?
The carrier pigeons, for example?
A neighbour once gave me - suitably prepared for the cooking pot - a
pigeon which her husband had shot.  I proposed to serve it for dinner
when my daughter was visiting me.  I happened to have it (on a plate) in
my hand when I remembered to ask my daughter "did I tell you that one of
Dot's lovebirds has died?"
21 years on and she still hasn't forgiven me!
In a similar vein, we remember overhearing the customer who obviously
wanted something to make it easier to let a pet in and out of the house
asking in the ironmonger's shop for a cat trap.
"They're not legal any more, luv," sympathised the assistant. "But I'll
come round and shoot it for you, if you like."
Nick
We've got a pushy pigeon pest here. FOr months, getting fatter and
fatter, he used our bird table as his local, and so did his wife. If
it was empty he'd come and tap on the kitchen window. He began to
greet me when I got back from gym 'n' swim in the morning, sitting on
the fence and glaring at me "breakfast is late!".

When the weather got hotter we had the back door open and he began
coming into the kitchen, and thrn through to the living room. We
objected and chased him out but he wasn't worried, even though we've
got 2 useless cats and a useless dog, who were always asleep upstairs
when he visited. Harryet used to sit under the bird table hoping he'd
fall into her mouth, but was never there when he came indoors, Fang
is scared of pigeons, and Bobby, the dog, probably is too.

They cost us in bird seed (best assorted) and so B decided enough was
enough. No more Mr Nice. He stopped feeding them and finally used the
hose as a hint they were unwelcome. The thing is, now I feel bad. I am
imagining bewildered and hurt birds, hungry and getting thinner.
Should I buy more seed? There is not much left. Should I suggest we
resume Pigeon Restaurant Service?
2018-05-12 09:04:35 UTC
Post by Vicky
[...]
We've put the bird table away now, in the hope of encouraging the lazy
blighters to eat up the slugs and snails and greenfly presently
occupying the garden. The blackbirds and robins are obliging (though
they can't keep up) and the pigeons have sodded off somewhere else
entirely, probably to the fast food dustbins down the hill. They were an
absolute pain in the winter - between them and the squirrels the poor
small birds hardly got a look in, in spite of patented squirrel-proof
(ha!) seed holders - and they are so filthy. It took serious scrubbing
to clean their huge revolting droppings off the balcony floor.
2018-05-12 11:03:58 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky
[...]
Well, we resumed service. The pigeons are a bit hesitant now but the
smaller birds are back. B is annoyed as the pigeons still sit on the
fence and poo down it. I like the idea of the birds eating the
garden creepies.
2018-05-12 19:13:32 UTC
On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:03:58 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Kate B
We've put the bird table away now, in the hope of encouraging the lazy
blighters to eat up the slugs and snails and greenfly presently
occupying the garden. The blackbirds and robins are obliging (though
they can't keep up) and the pigeons have sodded off somewhere else
entirely, probably to the fast food dustbins down the hill. They were an
absolute pain in the winter - between them and the squirrels the poor
small birds hardly got a look in, in spite of patented squirrel-proof
(ha!) seed holders - and they are so filthy. It took serious scrubbing
to clean their huge revolting droppings off the balcony floor.
Well, we resumed service. The pigeons are a bit hesitant now but the
smaller birds are back. B is annoyed as the pigeons still sit on the
fence and poo down it. I like the idea of the birds eating the
garden creepies.
I feed all year - why keep the blackbirds sparrows and tits going through
the winter and withdraw the help when they have new mouths to feed? I do
get a few pigeons and even a magpie attempting to hover the other day but
they are generally so inept they don't get much.
2018-05-12 20:12:52 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Kate B
[...]
We get all those too. The pigeons are sitting on the roof now instead
of the fence.
2018-05-15 08:33:39 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky
[...]
Our neighbour Vicenta had a brief visit from one of her bothers and two of
his children the other weekend. Bother and his daughter hadn’t bern since
1982,his son, never. Back then pigeons were something few saw. He has a
small holding where the family come from in a large village in the Spanish
mountains. When he saw our pigeons he told Vicenta they were as large as
his chickens. (Due to Roger’s poor health in the last 8 years, she’s not
been to Spain at all, and to her village in the north for longer than that
I think).

Last week she found a dead rat: they come through from the stream behind
her garden. She went to tell her neighbour: not sure she’s squeamish but
wanted them to see they’re about again. When they returned to her garden:
no rat. A passing red kite had helped itself!

How we two larfed!

2018-05-12 09:54:01 UTC
Post by Vicky
They cost us in bird seed (best assorted) and so B decided enough was
enough. No more Mr Nice. He stopped feeding them and finally used the
hose as a hint they were unwelcome. The thing is, now I feel bad. I am
imagining bewildered and hurt birds, hungry and getting thinner. Should
I buy more seed? There is not much left. Should I suggest we resume
Pigeon Restaurant Service?
You're supposed to make a good meal *of* pigeons, not a good meal *for*
pigeons.
2018-05-12 12:03:55 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Vicky
They cost us in bird seed (best assorted) and so B decided enough was
enough. No more Mr Nice. He stopped feeding them and finally used the
hose as a hint they were unwelcome. The thing is, now I feel bad. I am
imagining bewildered and hurt birds, hungry and getting thinner. Should
I buy more seed? There is not much left. Should I suggest we resume
Pigeon Restaurant Service?
You're supposed to make a good meal *of* pigeons, not a good meal *for*
pigeons.
We shout ‘Pigeon Pie’ at them when they get under our feet at Reading
Station on the concourse and in Woodley shopping centre ... but don’t get
our Spanish neighbour Vicenta started on the topic of squirrels, she
recently had family visiting from Spain and they thought the squirrels were
cute - she soon disabused them of that idea!
Squirrels are rats with good P.R.
2018-05-12 20:17:53 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Vicky
They cost us in bird seed (best assorted) and so B decided enough was
enough. No more Mr Nice. He stopped feeding them and finally used the
hose as a hint they were unwelcome. The thing is, now I feel bad. I am
imagining bewildered and hurt birds, hungry and getting thinner. Should
I buy more seed? There is not much left. Should I suggest we resume
Pigeon Restaurant Service?
You're supposed to make a good meal *of* pigeons, not a good meal *for*
pigeons.
We shout ‘Pigeon Pie’ at them when they get under our feet at Reading
Station on the concourse and in Woodley shopping centre ... but don’t get
our Spanish neighbour Vicenta started on the topic of squirrels, she
recently had family visiting from Spain and they thought the squirrels were
cute - she soon disabused them of that idea!
Squirrels are rats with good P.R.
I've heard the same thing many times, but I don't think that comparison
between rats and squirrels is valid.

Humans have been at war with rats since before the beginnings of
civilisation.
They steal from, and contaminate, stored grain and pass on some very
nasty diseases - since they live in such close contact with us.
A strong aversion to rats makes perfect sense.

Squirrels?

Calling them "tree rats" just doesn't seem at all reasonable.
2018-05-15 08:33:40 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Vicky
[...]
They’re a serious contender for bird food here: as in other email, the
guests couldn’t believe the squirrels jumping around getting at the bird
food: close enough to take photos through the kitchen window. Squirrel
Nutkin doesn’t cross the road these days: not seen them here for a few
years, but we don’t get birds feeding from anything so gave up. Magpies
and pigeons only our side of the road.

2018-05-15 09:28:18 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

Lots snipped....

. Squirrel
Post by Chris McMillan
Nutkin doesn’t cross the road these days: not seen them here for a few
years, but we don’t get birds feeding from anything so gave up. Magpies
and pigeons only our side of the road.
I abandoned feeding birds down here too. Used to see greenfinches but all
I see now is pigeons and the occasional pheasant. Guinea fowl in the lane.
In Cornwall, I see sparrows, blue tits, coal tits, chaffinch, great tits,
jays, magpies and crows on the feeder. Also blessed pigeons but Poppy is
good at seeing them off when asked. Squirrel Nutkin and Peter Rabbit visit
but Nutkin is also chased off the feeders by Poppy.
2018-05-15 21:05:18 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Vicky
[...]
Annoying perhaps, but not quite as bad as the Black Death.
2018-05-15 21:11:49 UTC
Annoying perhaps, but not quite as bad as the Black Death.
Is this the staff appraisal thread?
2018-05-15 21:32:20 UTC
On 15 May 2018 21:11:49 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sam Plusnet
Annoying perhaps, but not quite as bad as the Black Death.
Is this the staff appraisal thread?
Considering the conversation in our office this afternoon, I think it
may well be!
You work for UKIP now ?
Fenny
2018-05-16 16:39:43 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sam Plusnet
Annoying perhaps, but not quite as bad as the Black Death.
Is this the staff appraisal thread?
Considering the conversation in our office this afternoon, I think it
may well be!
You work for UKIP now ?
I think our only remaining Kipper lost his seat recently. The other
one has become "Independent", but is likely to go when his seat is
next up for re-election.

No, a couple of our managers were discussing another.
2018-05-11 10:51:25 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
All three are, or have been, umrats but Heather's the only one I'm still
in touch with. I don't think she's visited umra, in person, for some
time although I have sent a few carrier pigeons, in both directions,
for her.
Ditto to Heather. Lost touch will Gill a long time ago.

2018-05-10 16:20:13 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Has Heather stopped reading umraA? and I didn't know if the others
were real or here, but if so, many happies :).
You would have known if they'd had (U), (U), (U) in the announcement (-:

(I _think_ that's the case - I certainly don't _remember_ Spaul or
Christmas characters. But then UMRA knows what my memory - of TA and
other things - is like.)

HBT all, anyway.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. -Ambrose Bierce, writer
(1842-1914)
Sid Nuncius
2018-05-10 08:48:24 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Many happies to any of you who are reading this!
I'm in touch with Heather and will happily pass on any birthday messages
to her.
Please send her my very best and wish her a happy birthday from me.
2018-05-10 08:18:54 UTC
On Thu, 10 May 2018 06:20:51 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Happy birthday, Heather, A pint of Shires or a cream tea at Fallon's
or some shackrick tea at Kate's? OIr maybe you'd like funny tea from
the Ambridge Eatch? :)
2018-05-10 17:29:18 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Happy birthday, Heather, A pint of Shires or a cream tea at Fallon's
or some shackrick tea at Kate's? OIr maybe you'd like funny tea from
the Ambridge Eatch? :)
Please thank Sid. I often wonder how he is getting on. Please tell Vicki I'll have a cream tea, with proper Yorkshire tea 😉😉😉
I left the room with silent dignity, but caught my foot in the mat.
(George & Weedon Grossmith)
Chris McMillan
2018-05-11 10:45:57 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 10 May: Gill Spaul, Heather Knowles and Lesley
Christmas.
Will pass on wishes to. Chuckler Heather. A few of us see her on line as
and when she can.