Umra Book Club
2017-05-15 18:53:06 UTC
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought A Horse Walks Into A
Bar by David Grossman was excellent. Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that. Review here if
interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2FG2Z1HFUASLU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Also, have anyrats read H.R.F. Keating's Harriet martens series? And if
so, am I missing something because I tried one and thought it was
absolutely terrible. In an experienced author (albeit one I haven't
liked all that much) I was genuinely surprised at the sheer, absurd
amateurishness of it. There's a very grumpy review here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RNJBZFIEUXIHD/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
but if anyone has a more favourable take on it I'd be very interested.
2017-05-16 10:21:59 UTC
On Mon, 15 May 2017 19:53:06 +0100, Sid Nuncius <***@tesco.net>
Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that.
It's not just me who views such lists as 'titles to be avoided' then?
Anne B
2017-05-16 22:28:28 UTC
Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that.
It's not just me who views such lists as 'titles to be avoided' then?
No, YANAOU. I read three Booker prize winners and decided that if that
was the sort of thing the judges liked and/or approved of, I would know
not to bother reading any more of their prizewinners in future.

Anne B
LFS
2017-05-17 07:32:57 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Penny
On Mon, 15 May 2017 19:53:06 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that.
It's not just me who views such lists as 'titles to be avoided' then?
No, YANAOU. I read three Booker prize winners and decided that if that
was the sort of thing the judges liked and/or approved of, I would know
not to bother reading any more of their prizewinners in future.
Because I get advanced reader copies from the wonderful Netgalley (which
either Sid or Brittski introduced me to and for which I am deeply
grateful) I often find that I have read some of the nominated books
before the list is announced. And I am frequently puzzled as to why
mediocre books have been nominated when there are much more impressive
ones around.
2017-05-17 09:10:53 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Anne B
Post by Penny
On Mon, 15 May 2017 19:53:06 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that.
It's not just me who views such lists as 'titles to be avoided' then?
No, YANAOU. I read three Booker prize winners and decided that if that
was the sort of thing the judges liked and/or approved of, I would know
not to bother reading any more of their prizewinners in future.
Because I get advanced reader copies from the wonderful Netgalley (which
either Sid or Brittski introduced me to and for which I am deeply
grateful)
Sid I think. I was put on to it by him as well and am similarly
grateful, although they didn't approve the recent Robin Hobb, so I had
to buy it myself :(
OTOH it's absolutely wonderful :)
But looks like being the conclusion of the whole Fitz series :(((

Post by LFS
before the list is announced. And I am frequently puzzled as to why
mediocre books have been nominated when there are much more impressive
ones around.
YANAOU.

BrratSki gave me a signed first edition of Life of Pi long before it was
famous and I loved it. Not keen on seeing the film though...
Sid Nuncius
2017-05-17 09:11:05 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Anne B
Post by Penny
On Mon, 15 May 2017 19:53:06 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that.
It's not just me who views such lists as 'titles to be avoided' then?
No, YANAOU. I read three Booker prize winners and decided that if that
was the sort of thing the judges liked and/or approved of, I would know
not to bother reading any more of their prizewinners in future.
Because I get advanced reader copies from the wonderful Netgalley (which
either Sid or Brittski introduced me to and for which I am deeply
grateful) I often find that I have read some of the nominated books
before the list is announced. And I am frequently puzzled as to why
mediocre books have been nominated when there are much more impressive
ones around.
YANAOU. I find Prize nominated novels a very mixed bunch. I thought
The Sellout (the 2016 Booker winner) was terrific, as were a couple of
others on the long list, and I have really enjoyed quite a few nominees
in the past. I think quite a lot are just...well, OK but nothing
special like Hot Milk, Serious Sweet etc.

There has also been some frightfully pretentious rubbish nominated.
[Satin Island. I rest my case.] And All The Light We Cannot See as a
Pulitzer Winner? Per-lease! (Although they redeemed themselves with
the excellent The Underground Railroad.) Not to mention Mend The Living
winning the Wellcome Prize, God help us...er...sorry. Getting a bit
grumpy now. I'll stop.

And why The Essex Serpent won anything at all is entirely beyond me. At
least it's not pretentious and self-regarding, but it's standard
Creative Writing Course prose, full of stale characters and staggeringly
dull...

Oh - hello, Matron. Sorry, I didn't realise I'd started again.
Jane Vernon
2017-05-17 12:07:49 UTC
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought A Horse Walks Into A
Bar by David Grossman was excellent. Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that. Review here if
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2FG2Z1HFUASLU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I think this looks definitely like my cup of tea. Thank you for a
really good review. I'm thinking of getting the full-price Kindle
edition (never having paid about £5 for a Kindle book before) for
reading on holiday. Have ordered the sample to make sure. I think my
travelling companion would enjoy it too and will recommend to him as well.
--
Jane
BTME

Peter Percival
2017-05-17 14:06:23 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Sid Nuncius
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought A Horse Walks Into A
Bar by David Grossman was excellent. Shortlisted for the International
Man Booker Prize - but really good in spite of that. Review here if
https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2FG2Z1HFUASLU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
I think this looks definitely like my cup of tea. Thank you for a
really good review. I'm thinking of getting the full-price Kindle
edition (never having paid about £5 for a Kindle book before) for
reading on holiday. Have ordered the sample to make sure. I think my
travelling companion would enjoy it too and will recommend to him as well.
That Jeffrey Archer is on World Book Club discussing Kane and Able,
which surprised me (not the book, which I haven't read (not even for
Harriet Gilbert), but the down marketty-ness of WBC).
to me what you really mean.