Kate's business
Fenny
2017-04-20 21:44:08 UTC
How come Kate's business is so successful? Is there really such a
huge demand for new age retreats and treatments in Borsetshire?

Apart from Kate, who is employed there, how many staff, what do they
do? Other than her commandeering one of the Home Farm buildings and
having the composting toilets installed, we heard very little about
the set up, but now it seems to be successful enough for Matt to have
heard about it and Kate doesn't have time to hang around the house
being annoying.

In fact, apart from the Grundys, pretty much anyone in Ambridge who
has any kind of idea for a business seems to be able to make go of it
without any problems.
Fenny
krw
2017-04-20 22:06:00 UTC
Post by Fenny
How come Kate's business is so successful? Is there really such a
huge demand for new age retreats and treatments in Borsetshire?
Apart from Kate, who is employed there, how many staff, what do they
do? Other than her commandeering one of the Home Farm buildings and
having the composting toilets installed, we heard very little about
the set up, but now it seems to be successful enough for Matt to have
heard about it and Kate doesn't have time to hang around the house
being annoying.
In fact, apart from the Grundys, pretty much anyone in Ambridge who
has any kind of idea for a business seems to be able to make go of it
without any problems.
This has been hugely undermentioned for months. Putting together
something of the scale she has takes hard work and knowledge - none of
which Kate had. She must be a miracle worker.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2017-04-20 22:19:06 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
How come Kate's business is so successful? Is there really such a
huge demand for new age retreats and treatments in Borsetshire?
Apart from Kate, who is employed there, how many staff, what do they
do? Other than her commandeering one of the Home Farm buildings and
having the composting toilets installed, we heard very little about
the set up, but now it seems to be successful enough for Matt to have
heard about it and Kate doesn't have time to hang around the house
being annoying.
In fact, apart from the Grundys, pretty much anyone in Ambridge who
has any kind of idea for a business seems to be able to make go of it
without any problems.
This has been hugely undermentioned for months. Putting together
something of the scale she has takes hard work and knowledge - none of
which Kate had. She must be a miracle worker.
My thought exactly.
Fenny
krw
2017-04-20 22:29:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
[...]
It is not clear to me why SoC thought bringing her back was such a good
idea and then to be honest gives her a story where for once she succeeds
and it is not covered in any detail. It is probably one story too many
- but it feels wrong.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Chris McMillan
2017-04-22 10:30:19 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
[...]
Or the new ed is letting Krait look successful but will in time turn out to
be usual Krait, the Grundy of the Aldridge clan? It would be unusual for
Krait to succeed without leaning on Brine. Maybe she'd like to pay him
back some of her profits ....

Sincerely Chris
Mike
2017-04-22 10:46:58 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
Post by krw
Post by Fenny
[...]
Kate could only 'show' a profit of £100 if someone handed her £200 or
more...
Toodle Pip
BrritSki
2017-04-22 11:16:13 UTC
Post by Mike
Kate could only 'show' a profit of £100 if someone handed her £200 or
more...
Is that like the €120 "profit" they made from the restaurant in Second
Chance Summer in Tuscany ? Charged 6 people €20 pp and completely
forgot about the cost of ingredients, transport and fuel for cooking,
let alone the wine even if it was the cheaper of the 2 it was still
€15/bottle.

And don't get me started on the idle cows who refused to step in and
help when the chef went down with the lurgy, one of whom was the shirker
on the grape picking task and who won't pick an olive.

Surprising about the test of a single olive's fly strike and then
declaring the whole crop will be fine. We get a bulletin from Regional
Centre of Applied Meteorology which tells us when to water, when to
harvest and when the fly is likely to attack and hence when we need to
spray. We don't have many trees and they're all young so we can do the
spraying in a couple of hours, but it's a horrible job as you have to be
covered up and wear a gas mask as it's an organophosphate.

ObTA: just listened to the last 2 epis, but could barely understand
them with all the background noise :(
Mike
2017-04-22 11:33:14 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Mike
[...]
Auntie seems to think that every news item needs bloody electronic drums
in the foreground so that we can better understand what they are mumbling in some cases.
Toodle Pip
krw
2017-04-22 12:54:56 UTC
Post by Mike
Kate could only 'show' a profit of £100 if someone handed her £200 or
more...
Reminds me of the Reading owner who was asked how he became a
millionaire. Said he was a multi-millionaire and then he bought a
football club.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike
2017-04-22 15:52:08 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Mike
Kate could only 'show' a profit of £100 if someone handed her £200 or
more...
Reminds me of the Reading owner who was asked how he became a
millionaire. Said he was a multi-millionaire and then he bought a
football club.
John Madjesky seems more comfortable with money than at making public (or
academic) speeches.
Toodle Pip
krw
2017-04-22 19:28:24 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by krw
Post by Mike
Kate could only 'show' a profit of £100 if someone handed her £200 or
more...
Reminds me of the Reading owner who was asked how he became a
millionaire. Said he was a multi-millionaire and then he bought a
football club.
John Madjesky seems more comfortable with money than at making public (or
academic) speeches.
I think he is a private man and there is nothing wrong with that. I
suspect that like many he was in the right place at the right time and
perhaps never had great people skills?
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-04-20 22:46:54 UTC
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:44:08 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
How come Kate's business is so successful? Is there really such a
huge demand for new age retreats and treatments in Borsetshire?
I've seen some such places thrive and others fall apart. None of those I've
known have operated out of yurts though - who would do that through the
Borsetshire winter?

Most are ordinary houses where several therapists of one sort or another
have a room (or maybe share one, using it on different days). I had a
lodger for a while who ran one in Maidstone. She did the admin and
publicity, paid for by all who practised from the building. There is a
similar set up in a nearby town here.

We also have, way up in the hills, a purpose built shed on an isolated
property which may run a bit more like Kate's place. No idea if it makes
lots of money but the owners seem a very happy couple spreading peace and
love on everyone. I believe he used to be something in the city.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Btms
2017-04-21 09:18:48 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
[...]
Sounds innovative to me. Glamping combined with massage type things sounds
a goer but only in the core season. This said, I agree Kate has
demonstrated no relevant business skills or qualified expertise in the
health therapy arena. I can believe that this sort of place might be
popular in SA. There may be historical reasons why this story emerged,
which go back to the beetle for its inception but has lost impetus since
first imagined and planned.
--
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting