OT: Endeavour
2018-03-06 13:19:30 UTC
Catching up with Sunday's episode, I was puzzled to see a large detached
house in which some of the action took place on a street which was
clearly named Sebastopol Terrace.

Took me a while to remember who lived at that address (can umrats
remember without looking it up?) and I wondered why it had been used -
it was very obviously inappropriate for the type of dwelling so must
have been an in joke.

Fred
2018-03-06 13:38:06 UTC
On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 13:19:32 UTC, LFS wrote:
> Catching up with Sunday's episode, I was puzzled to see a large detached
> house in which some of the action took place on a street which was
> clearly named Sebastopol Terrace.
>
> Took me a while to remember who lived at that address (can umrats
> remember without looking it up?) and I wondered why it had been used -
> it was very obviously inappropriate for the type of dwelling so must
> have been an in joke.
>

> --
> Laura (emulate St George for email)

I watched Sunday and felt they had definitely "jumped the shark".
My immediate reaction was that John Le Carre had written the script with advice from Herge (Thompson twins??).

Fred
Btms
2018-03-06 13:53:22 UTC
Fred <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 13:19:32 UTC, LFS wrote:
>> Catching up with Sunday's episode, I was puzzled to see a large detached
>> house in which some of the action took place on a street which was
>> clearly named Sebastopol Terrace.
>>
>> Took me a while to remember who lived at that address (can umrats
>> remember without looking it up?) and I wondered why it had been used -
>> it was very obviously inappropriate for the type of dwelling so must
>> have been an in joke.
>>

>> --
>> Laura (emulate St George for email)
>
> I watched Sunday and felt they had definitely "jumped the shark".
> My immediate reaction was that John Le Carre had written the script with
> advice from Herge (Thompson twins??).
>
> Fred

I said this too. Plausibility too challenging.

Marmaduke Jinks
2018-03-06 13:57:38 UTC
"Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message
> Fred <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 13:19:32 UTC, LFS wrote:
>>> Catching up with Sunday's episode, I was puzzled to see a large detached
>>> house in which some of the action took place on a street which was
>>> clearly named Sebastopol Terrace.
>>>
>>> Took me a while to remember who lived at that address (can umrats
>>> remember without looking it up?) and I wondered why it had been used -
>>> it was very obviously inappropriate for the type of dwelling so must
>>> have been an in joke.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Laura (emulate St George for email)
>>
>> I watched Sunday and felt they had definitely "jumped the shark".
>> My immediate reaction was that John Le Carre had written the script with
>> advice from Herge (Thompson twins??).
>>
>> Fred
>>

> I said this too. Plausibility too challenging.
>
> --
> BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.

But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story c.2
weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a mind
for past remembrances.

MJ
Mike Ruddock
2018-03-06 14:48:45 UTC
On 06/03/2018 1:57 PM, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
> "Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message
>> Fred <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I watched Sunday and felt they had definitely "jumped the shark".
>>> My immediate reaction was that John Le Carre had written the script with
>>> advice from Herge (Thompson twins??).
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>

>> I said this too. Plausibility too challenging.
>>
>> --
>> BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
>
> But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story c.2
> weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a mind
> for past remembrances.
>
> MJ

It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
last ever programme. I shall miss it.

Mike Ruddock
Marmaduke Jinks
2018-03-06 16:54:25 UTC
"Mike Ruddock" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On 06/03/2018 1:57 PM, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>> "Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> I said this too. Plausibility too challenging.
>>>
>>> --
>>> BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
>>
>> But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story
>> c.2
>> weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a
>> mind
>> for past remembrances.
>>
>> MJ
>>

> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>
> Mike Ruddock

Maybe. But I still can't work out how this young Morse turns into the
Grumpy older Morse (or Inspector Morose as we know him at work). Yes, the
beer is there and Wagner, but they are superficial. The older Morse loves
barking out orders, extremely comfortable in his own shoes whereas Morse
younger isn't like that.

I did see more grey in Fred Thursday's hair the last episode. but say he had
joined the Police after leaving the Army. He can't be 55 yet in 1968?

MJ
Vicky
2018-03-06 18:30:26 UTC
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 16:54:25 -0000, "Marmaduke Jinks"
<***@Totopoly.com> wrote:

>"Mike Ruddock" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> On 06/03/2018 1:57 PM, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>>> "Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message

Not watched this week's yet but they do put in little jokes like that
in each episode, and apparently wossisname, original author, appears
fleetingly too.

>>> But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story
>>> c.2
>>> weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a
>>> mind
>>> for past remembrances.
>>>
>>> MJ
>>>

>> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
>> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
>> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
>> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>>

>Maybe. But I still can't work out how this young Morse turns into the
>Grumpy older Morse (or Inspector Morose as we know him at work). Yes, the
>beer is there and Wagner, but they are superficial. The older Morse loves
>barking out orders, extremely comfortable in his own shoes whereas Morse
>younger isn't like that.

I feel that too. Physically and his personna is nothing like the John
Thaw one. I actually liked the Lewis series best but this is better
than many other programmes so I hope it continues.

Marmaduke Jinks
2018-03-06 22:45:23 UTC
"Vicky" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 16:54:25 -0000, "Marmaduke Jinks"
> <***@Totopoly.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mike Ruddock" <***@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Not watched this week's yet but they do put in little jokes like that
> in each episode, and apparently wossisname, original author, appears
> fleetingly too.

>>> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
>>> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
>>> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
>>> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>>>
>>> Mike Ruddock
>>>

>>Maybe. But I still can't work out how this young Morse turns into the
>>Grumpy older Morse (or Inspector Morose as we know him at work). Yes, the
>>beer is there and Wagner, but they are superficial. The older Morse loves
>>barking out orders, extremely comfortable in his own shoes whereas Morse
>>younger isn't like that.
>
> I feel that too. Physically and his personna is nothing like the John
> Thaw one. I actually liked the Lewis series best but this is better
> than many other programmes so I hope it continues.
>>
>>I did see more grey in Fred Thursday's hair the last episode. but say he
>>had
>>joined the Police after leaving the Army. He can't be 55 yet in 1968?
>>
>>MJ
>>

> --
>
> Vicky

I was kind of "hoping against hope" that Laurence Fox might have agreed to
do Hathaway as a spin off. Doesn't stop ITV getting in a ringer though.

MJ
Mike
2018-03-06 16:55:41 UTC
Mike Ruddock <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2018 1:57 PM, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>> "Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> I said this too. Plausibility too challenging.
>>>
>>> --
>>> BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
>>
>> But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story c.2
>> weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a mind
>> for past remembrances.
>>
>> MJ
>>

> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>
> Mike Ruddock

New cop shop - end of story.

2018-03-06 17:46:29 UTC
On 06/03/2018 16:55, Mike wrote:
> Mike Ruddock <***@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On 06/03/2018 1:57 PM, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>>> "Btms" <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> But then they also went to the "Crossroads Motel" for the Railway story c.2
>>> weeks ago. A signpost even said Kings' Oak. So I think they do have a mind
>>> for past remembrances.
>>>
>>> MJ
>>>

>> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
>> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
>> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
>> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>>

> New cop shop - end of story.

Was it just me having dropped off at some point in an episode? Does
anyone else remember Morse having been burgled as Trewlove said? I
distinctly remember him listening to Rosalind Umbrella in the first
episode (singing what? Tosca? Traviata? Can't even remember that, oh
dear) and yet there was his record on that dodgy street stall in episode
3, having been pinched. I hope he was able to get it back, it was
autographed, wasn't it?

Please no spoilers for 4 or 5 as we haven't watched them yet!

Apart from that, yes, certainly, jumped right over the shark with the
Faberge Egg and hasn't stopped flapping since. But I adore Thursday and
Bright and quite often Morse, so keep watching in spite of that.

Mike Ruddock
2018-03-06 18:01:09 UTC
On 06/03/2018 5:46 PM, Kate B wrote:
> On 06/03/2018 16:55, Mike wrote:
>> Mike Ruddock <***@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> It seems to me that the series is approaching its end. The station is
>>> under threat, Fred Thursday is retiring and CS Bright looks as if he is
>>> too old be still serving. I expect the series closer next week to be the
>>> last ever programme. I shall miss it.
>>>
>>> Mike Ruddock
>>>

>> New cop shop - end of story.
>>
> Was it just me having dropped off at some point in an episode? Does
> anyone else remember Morse having been burgled as Trewlove said? I
> distinctly remember him listening to Rosalind Umbrella in the first
> episode (singing what? Tosca? Traviata? Can't even remember that, oh
> dear) and yet there was his record on that dodgy street stall in episode
> 3, having been pinched. I hope he was able to get it back, it was
> autographed, wasn't it?
>
> Please no spoilers for 4 or 5 as we haven't watched them yet!
>
> Apart from that, yes, certainly, jumped right over the shark with the
> Faberge Egg and hasn't stopped flapping since. But I adore Thursday and
> Bright and quite often Morse, so keep watching in spite of that.

Yes he was burgled. I can't recall which episode but it was when Morse
was living in what appeared to be a basement flat and someone turned it
over.

Mike Ruddock
BrritSki
2018-03-06 21:07:04 UTC

Previous series I think...
Kate B
2018-03-06 21:29:47 UTC
On 06/03/2018 21:07, BrritSki wrote:
> On 06/03/2018 19:01, Mike Ruddock wrote:

>>> Was it just me having dropped off at some point in an episode? Does
>>> anyone else remember Morse having been burgled as Trewlove said? I
>>> distinctly remember him listening to Rosalind Umbrella in the first
>>> episode (singing what? Tosca? Traviata? Can't even remember that, oh
>>> dear) and yet there was his record on that dodgy street stall in
>>> episode 3, having been pinched. I hope he was able to get it back, it
>>> was autographed, wasn't it?
>>>
>>> Please no spoilers for 4 or 5 as we haven't watched them yet!
>>>
>>> Apart from that, yes, certainly, jumped right over the shark with the
>>> Faberge Egg and hasn't stopped flapping since. But I adore Thursday
>>> and Bright and quite often Morse, so keep watching in spite of that.
>>>
>> Yes he was burgled. I can't recall which episode but it was when Morse
>> was living in what appeared to be a basement flat and someone turned
>> it over.
> Previous series I think...

Well yes. And now he's shacked up with Strange. So why was he still able
to listen to Rosalind in the first episode of this one?