Pork and Leak Sausages (reprise)
Rosalind Mitchell
2017-09-22 12:22:22 UTC
On this day, twenty years ago, umrats were still mourning the passage
two days earlier of Nelson Gabriel to the Great Bar in the Sky (or in
Lancashire, New Zealand, Paraguay or wherever he went to ground). A Mr
Simon Townley speculated that the bank next door to the Wine Bar had
been tunnelled into and large quantities of money were missing. And
Umrats of longer standing may have been aware that in interview with
Deceased Twin by Clare Dyer was published on page 6 of The
Grauniad. Deceased Twin had been present on umra but for a number of
reasons was lying low and wouldn't appear again in person. I, on the
otherhand, would appear in his place after most of the dust had settled
and two years later would be wined and dined by the late and much-missed
Chankel in the Falstaff bar in Brussels (and he really did pay for it
because his employers at the time cheated him out of his expenses, the
scamp!) before bringing me a big wodge of umratic good wishes in the
Clinique "Real Kate" Lambert the following day.

Some much missed names in the archive for that day, including Peter
Hesketh of blessed memory and many others who have wandered
off. Whatever became of Chris Harrison? Brennig Jones? Mary Kemp? Stuart
Cowie? The McToodles are there, and Robin (but not Linda), but really
not many of today's regulars. Two years later there were a lot more
familiar names, quite a few of you still with us, There are also many
umrats who came later than that. I don't talk about it much; it was
something that happened a long time ago but now has no relevance to my
life, any more than my brain explosion or the excavation of the crud in
my nasal cavity.

During the course of this year, it being the 20th anniversary, I've been
aware of media vultures circling. My media training from that time tells
me that you can't hide altogether but you can control what happens by
allowing a media person of your choice ten minutes. I'm in discussions
with a man from the BBC in Bristol about maybe doing something; whether
it will come to anything I don't know.
Sid Nuncius
2017-09-22 17:25:14 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Blimey - was it 20 years ago? I remember coining the phrase, but it
can't be that long ago, can it?

20 years! Nugger me. How did that happen? Glad you're still around on
umra, anyway, MOPMOB. And happy anniversary!
Jeremiah 8:20