calling Britski
2017-04-05 20:01:34 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
BrritSki
2017-04-06 08:47:51 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.

Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
Mike Ruddock
2017-04-06 09:14:26 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
There is a review in the RT which is rather sour about the whole enterprise.

Mike Ruddock

---
2017-04-06 09:55:55 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
There is a review in the RT which is rather sour about the whole enterprise.
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
Btms
2017-04-06 12:15:54 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
There is a review in the RT which is rather sour about the whole enterprise.
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole. Beautiful
scenery.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
steveski
2017-04-06 15:10:57 UTC
[TV prog]
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole. Beautiful
scenery.
What about the plumage?
Peter Percival
2017-04-06 16:01:26 UTC
[TV prog]
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole. Beautiful
scenery.
What about the plumage?
I know you're parroting something, but what?
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-06 16:03:50 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by steveski
[TV prog]
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole. Beautiful
scenery.
What about the plumage?
I know you're parroting something, but what?
He is dead that parrot, nailed to his perch.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-04-06 16:14:32 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by steveski
[TV prog]
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole.
Beautiful
scenery.
What about the plumage?
I know you're parroting something, but what?
He is dead that parrot, nailed to his perch.
A fishy business. He's just making a rod for his own back.
to me what you really mean.
2017-04-06 17:13:11 UTC
[TV prog]
Yes, the preview wasn't very promising - the usual bunch of numpties
with unreasonable expectations, no Italian, etc etc.
My lips are sealed. Be interested in the concept as a whole. Beautiful
scenery.
What about the plumage?
You can't tell, it's all covered with feathers.

2017-04-06 12:15:54 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
Oh yes please do review. The dynamic are v. Interesting. 😊
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
BrritSki
2017-04-06 20:00:52 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
Well, interesting programme, usual reality TV nonsense and I won't dwell
on the group dynamics, but there were some nice bits and we enjoyed
relating to our experiences

The location is beautiful. Before we moved to Italy we jolidayed
(TWATBILI) in that area a lot and even stayed at a La Bandita (although
I cannot find it again, despite several in Tuscany with that name) and 3
or 4 times at Tenuta Col di Sasso:
<http://www.tenutacoldisasso.com/photogallery-coldisasso/>

The Italian locals were lovely (as they are here mainly), especially the
lady who laughed as we did at the idea of an African room and the priest
who seemed very sensible. The priest who was here when we arrived was
very old school and did not welcome our grandchildren into the church
because their parents were unmarried. His replacement is much nicer,
younger, short and stout, loves his food and wine and very friendly. He
calls Jack "baby Jesus" which we always find a bit sacrilegious.

We too bought chickens (but only ever 2 at a time) and were also invited
to take the 2 we wanted and failed dismally at catching any of them. I
think it's a trick played on foreigners, but maybe it's to show they
haven't chosen duds.

If they think that the grape harvest is hard work (it is) they have
another think coming when they find the real work starts with the
pruning and then bending the short stem down and tying to the wire
without them breaking. And then you have to spray every 10-14 days, very
early while it's still still (iyswim) and keep the vines trimmed so the
grapoli get just the right amount of sun.

We too have had battles with wild boar. We now have a fence of steel
mesh (the stuff that is used to reinforce cement) all round the property
(5,000 sq.m.) with gates. Electric fences are not much use unless you
check them every day as they were doing which is not easy on steeper
ground and we think that most of their grape eating was done by the
boarlets that would slip under the lower strand of fence without too
much trouble - bigger boar would have done far more damage.

We laughed at the health-and-safety question re the olives and also at
the safety glasses for grape picking. We are waiting for someone to cut
a fingertip off with secateurs as that's the most common injury. There
is no way that so many vines can be picked in 2-3 days without an army
of helpers - I guess each farm helps the others nearby. Be interesting
to see how they make the wine.

Olives will be much easier over the course of a year. We spray those
against the fly, but that's only possible if you have a few trees and
they're kept small. The bigger trees/estates it's impossible, so you
just take pot luck. Last year was a really bad year for the fly so most
people round here had no olives at all. We only just picked enough for
oil for our own use.

SoL and his brother and Dad have a mechanised picker which is like 2
sets of hands that flap together with the plastic "fingers" entwining to
knock the olives off. They have two batteries so they can run it all day
and the olives land on nets which are then gathered up into sacks. They
are really hard workers and then can just about pick 600Kgs in a day,
but it's too hard to do every day on rough terraces and of course the
olives have to be taken to the mill to be pressed.

I think we might have met one of the participants out here with a friend
from Stroud (no, not PP), it will be interesting to see how it all works
out.
Btms
2017-04-06 20:14:42 UTC
[...]
Thank you for the insights. Leaving aside that the participants are
chosen to make whatever is deemed good telly, it sounds as if the
challenges are authentic. As in Jean de Floret, lack of local knowledge
may be shown to be a factor as it progresses. Worth watching just for the
photography and scenery. Will wait for your next review with much
interest. It looked jolly hard work.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
BrritSki
2017-04-06 20:21:19 UTC
Thank you for the insights. Leaving aside that the participants are
chosen to make whatever is deemed good telly, it sounds as if the
challenges are authentic. As in Jean de Floret, lack of local knowledge
may be shown to be a factor as it progresses.
I don't think the locals will be horrible like they were in JdF and MdS
though...
Post by Btms
Worth watching just for the photography and scenery.
It is, but worth it...
BrritSki
2017-04-06 20:29:23 UTC
Will wait for your next review with much
interest. It looked jolly hard work.
It is, but worth it...
PS Here are recent pictures of our Bandita:

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogertil/>
BrritSki
2017-04-07 11:46:11 UTC
Will wait for your next review with much
interest. It looked jolly hard work.
It is, but worth it...
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogertil/>
And today the waife found our booking for the Bandita we stayed at in
1999 and its location, so it was this one that I'd discounted - it's
changed a lot since we were there:

<http://labandita.com/>
BrritSki
2017-04-14 06:43:55 UTC
Second chance summer may be of interest - wed 05 at 9.00pm
Yes, it's on the Sky box ready to watch tonight.
Thanks for thinking of me, review later....
Well, interesting programme...
Epi 2 continued the usual reality TV nonsense. Thought Andy was well
within his rights to ask what some of the others had been doing all
morning when we viewers knew they'd been taking a leisurely breakfast
and talking about when "they" finish the vendemmia.

That was nonsense though - anyone with any sense cleans their baskets
AFTER they've used them so you can take your time. And little point
cleaning that thoroughly, they're going to be plonked down on the soil
when all's said and done so the outside will be dirty again anyway and
the grapes are covered in dust and stuff (including the yeast for
fermentation which is why they're not washed). And they don't seem to
have realised that these crates are asymmetric, so when you place them
on top of each other one way round they stack, but the other way they
will nest nicely inside each other.

The festa afterwards looked fun, shame it had to be inside though with
the rain. The medieval procession looked just like the one I take part
in locally in February.

Their grapes looked lovely though and once again so were all the local
people.
Btms
2017-04-14 17:11:35 UTC
[...]
Thank you. I have to VL it as we have been away for a few days. 😊
--
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting