Someone on fb posted a lin k to TA history archives
Vicky Ayech
2018-08-12 21:24:02 UTC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thearchers/2010/12/six_diamond_decades_-_the_1970.html

So many things I didn't know from before I began to listen.
Neil Carter did community service after girlfriend Sandy Miller
planted some cannabis on him. :)

Ramshackle tenant farmer Joe Grundy outraged the village by holding a
pop festival on his land. Unlike most of his schemes, it was a modest
success. Winning a weekend for two at Grey Gables in the flower and
produce show, widower Joe tried to claim half of the prize in cash.

Realising that she'd never have the top-flight riding career she hoped
for, Shula hitchhiked round Europe. She returned, signed on as
unemployed, flirted with the smitten Neil Carter but fell for the
Borchester Echo editor Simon Parker.Phil was furious when Simon
published a photo of Shula in riding gear headlined "Hunting on the
Dole".

Shula and Nick Wearing left on the overland hippy trail but it didn't
go to plan. Nick went on to Australia and Shula looked for a job in
Bangkok. But she had to return home after her money and passport were
stolen.

She was a lot more exciting then!

I think I must have begun listening in the 80s. Definitely not
earlier.
Feeling increasingly suffocated by the her impending wedding, Shula
found light relief by flirting with another journalist, Robin
Catchpole. She remained faithful to Mark but with only six weeks to go
she called the wedding off.

I don't recall that but do recall him dying. She did the heartbroken
widow act for years. So she wasn't that sure she was in love with him.
And then Dr Death and then poor Snappy. I really don't like Shula!
Fenny
2018-08-12 22:11:43 UTC
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:24:02 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
I think I must have begun listening in the 80s. Definitely not
earlier.
Feeling increasingly suffocated by the her impending wedding, Shula
found light relief by flirting with another journalist, Robin
Catchpole. She remained faithful to Mark but with only six weeks to go
she called the wedding off.
I don't recall that but do recall him dying. She did the heartbroken
widow act for years. So she wasn't that sure she was in love with him.
And then Dr Death and then poor Snappy. I really don't like Shula!
Shula and Mark didn't get married in the summer of 1981. We were
camping in Wales and were somewhere close to Snowdon on the night this
happened.

I've been listening since before I was born, but don't remember a lot
of it. I think we managed to make our escape from the dinner table
while Ma listened.
Fenny
Penny
2018-08-12 22:13:40 UTC
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:24:02 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
She did the heartbroken widow act for years.
That could, just possibly, be my fault. I wrote to The Beetle soon after
his death in February 1994, asking her not to have Shula take up with
anyone else too soon. Partly because I knew I wasn't ready 5 years after
the Husgod's death and partly because it was statistically unlikely
according to a book I'd been reading.
So she wasn't that sure she was in love with him.
I'm not sure that was true. She may have called off the wedding once but 6
years later, after both had had other partners, he proposed again and she
accepted.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959