Is it me?
2018-07-09 08:37:39 UTC
Hi everyone

I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly it
actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.

Then the stories around elsewhere were not exactly stupid or ill
considered but at the moment we have:

Home Farm - I just don't believe the line that Brian would allow
dumping, sorry he might be big agro but he would not allow dumping. The
consequent mess is also unbelievable - he knew what he was he doing with
the partnership and the terms thereof (Kate might not have read them -
he did). And we all knew a partnership would not work because it did
not work when Dan had one at Brookfield many years ago, because some of
us do remember such things. Jess Allard and someone else - it all fell
apart.

Freddie is stupid and I accept might do "smart" drugs but I do believe
he would have walked away from Ellis. Lily and Russ? Maybe 20 years
ago but she is supposed to be the second brainiest villager after Phoebles.

The Justin Elliott Development at Bridge Farm - well the Bridge Farm
idiots would never have sold the land - it was the first bit of organic
land and I still don't believe the local planning rules would have
permitted the development so far outside the village envelope, let alone
Justin just changing his mind over what he will build as it does not
work like that.

David and Ruth having a day out (not) bungee jumping. How old are they?
I keep seeing people on zip wires in north Wales on tv programmes
thinking well if I was younger maybe.

Talking of Bridge Farm all of Tom's Nuffield stuff is so wishy washy
from the man that built a sausage empire and then stomped off to Canada
you might think it was a different person, not to mention that he got
rid of the organic cows which were the raison d'etre of the dairy in the
first place.

Anisha buying into a partnership, shouldering 50% of an increased
overdraft and then apparently walking away to be an employee - I should
cocoa.

Meanwhile in his dying minutes the editor kills off Nic largely unheard
for 5 years and also accuses her of attempting to accidentally off Matt
in the most unbelievable story since secret agents visited the village.

Why in heaven's name do we have such a major story about Mia without
bothering to actually get her to speak? How can I take an interest in a
girl who has clearly become a "young carer" (and I applaud her for that)
and yet they cannot be bothered to employ some one who can actually
talk, take part and explain her point of view to the world. There might
(like caring Rob) actually be a story there which needs telling from
the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round and all in
reported speech. This is as bad as dumping the wonderful stories which
could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but which were
dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.

Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?

It won't seem strange when aliens land and abduct Jolene (perhaps that
is what has happened to her, rather than taking an interest in her
daughter's wedding), Wayne, Carol, George, Mia, Ruari and Ben all of
whom continue to be unbelievably silent.

I really feel I have lost something.
2018-07-09 09:17:39 UTC
On 09/07/2018 09:37, krw wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly it
> actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.
>
> Then the stories around elsewhere were not exactly stupid or ill
> considered but at the moment we have:
>
> Home Farm - I just don't believe the line that Brian would allow
> dumping, sorry he might be big agro but he would not allow dumping.  The
> consequent mess is also unbelievable - he knew what he was he doing with
> the partnership and the terms thereof (Kate might not have read them -
> he did).  And we all knew a partnership would not work because it did
> not work when Dan had one at Brookfield many years ago, because some of
> us do remember such things.  Jess Allard and someone else - it all fell
> apart.

I agree that the arrangements are unrealistic but no more so than any
other soap business arrangement (what was the daft TV one about a yacht
business?) and I'm rather enjoying the family clashes.

> Freddie is stupid and I accept might do "smart" drugs but I do believe
> he would have walked away from Ellis.  Lily and Russ?  Maybe 20 years
> ago but she is supposed to be the second brainiest villager after Phoebles.

Yes. I think the editor has cast around for storylines to engage the
young and discovered some very old teen mags for inspiration.

> The Justin Elliott Development at Bridge Farm - well the Bridge Farm
> idiots would never have sold the land - it was the first bit of organic
> land and I still don't believe the local planning rules would have
> permitted the development so far outside the village envelope, let alone
> Justin just changing his mind over what he will build as it does not
> work like that.

A good example of a fabricated storyline but I am a little interested to
see what Emma will make of her councillor role and I quite like the idea
of Jim helping her.

> David and Ruth having a day out (not) bungee jumping.  How old are they?
>  I keep seeing people on zip wires in north Wales on tv programmes
> thinking well if I was younger maybe.

That was really silly. These things have to be booked a long time in
advance. I'd quite like to do the indoor flying though.

> Talking of Bridge Farm all of Tom's Nuffield stuff is so wishy washy
> from the man that built a sausage empire and then stomped off to Canada
> you might think it was a different person, not to mention that he got
> rid of the organic cows which were the raison d'etre of the dairy in the
> first place.

Yes.

> Anisha buying into a partnership, shouldering 50% of an increased
> overdraft and then apparently walking away to be an employee - I should
> cocoa.

Yes, a ridiculous plotline.

> Meanwhile in his dying minutes the editor kills off Nic largely unheard
> for 5 years and also accuses her of attempting to accidentally off Matt
> in the most unbelievable story since secret agents visited the village.
>
> Why in heaven's name do we have such a major story about Mia without
> bothering to actually get her to speak?  How can I take an interest in a
> girl who has clearly become a "young carer" (and I applaud her for that)
> and yet they cannot be bothered to employ some one who can actually
> talk, take part and explain her point of view to the world.  There might
> (like caring Rob) actually be a story there  which needs telling from
> the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round and all in
> reported speech.  This is as bad as dumping the wonderful stories which
> could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but which were
> dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.

Yes, indeed.

> Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?

The Lexi/Adam/Ian is another which overstretches soap disbelief
suspension boundaries and calls into question the quality of the
research done - and is a waste of something that could have been very
useful.

the Omrud
2018-07-09 10:17:11 UTC
On 09/07/2018 10:17, LFS wrote:
> On 09/07/2018 09:37, krw wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly
>> it actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.
>>
>> Then the stories around elsewhere were not exactly stupid or ill
>> considered but at the moment we have:
>>
>> Home Farm - I just don't believe the line that Brian would allow
>> dumping, sorry he might be big agro but he would not allow dumping.
>> The consequent mess is also unbelievable - he knew what he was he
>> doing with the partnership and the terms thereof (Kate might not have
>> read them - he did).  And we all knew a partnership would not work
>> because it did not work when Dan had one at Brookfield many years ago,
>> because some of us do remember such things.  Jess Allard and someone
>> else - it all fell apart.
>
> I agree that the arrangements are unrealistic but no more so than any
> other soap business arrangement (what was the daft TV one about a yacht
> business?) and I'm rather enjoying the family clashes.

Howards' Way. It can't have been a soap: I watched it but I don't
watch soaps, so it was a drama.

David
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-09 13:50:11 UTC
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 11:17:11 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 09/07/2018 10:17, LFS wrote:
>> On 09/07/2018 09:37, krw wrote:
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly
>>> it actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.
>>>
>>> Then the stories around elsewhere were not exactly stupid or ill
>>> considered but at the moment we have:
>>>
>>> Home Farm - I just don't believe the line that Brian would allow
>>> dumping, sorry he might be big agro but he would not allow dumping.
>>> The consequent mess is also unbelievable - he knew what he was he
>>> doing with the partnership and the terms thereof (Kate might not have
>>> read them - he did).  And we all knew a partnership would not work
>>> because it did not work when Dan had one at Brookfield many years ago,
>>> because some of us do remember such things.  Jess Allard and someone
>>> else - it all fell apart.
>>
>> I agree that the arrangements are unrealistic but no more so than any
>> other soap business arrangement (what was the daft TV one about a yacht
>> business?) and I'm rather enjoying the family clashes.
>
>Howards' Way. It can't have been a soap: I watched it but I don't
>watch soaps, so it was a drama.

I like boaty programmes but that WAS bad. I quite liked Triangle :).
Ok, also not wonderful. We not only sailed on tankers, but had a Heron
dingy too.
krw
2018-07-09 10:20:24 UTC
On 9/7/18 10:17, LFS wrote; my response is lower down:
> I'd quite like to do the indoor flying though.

Basingstoke, Manchester and Milton Keynes:
https://www.iflyworld.co.uk/

2018-07-09 13:40:07 UTC
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:17:39 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>These things have to be booked a long time in
>advance. I'd quite like to do the indoor flying though.

Not sure I would but there is a gransnet thread today about what to
get an 80 year old husband for his birthday and some said a flight
with maybe chance to take the controls. I got B one for a bithday some
years ago, a half hour lesson, and he loved it. I had been thinking
for this next birthday I'd like to fly a small plane. We are near
Duxford and one post said a friend had a flight in a WW2 plane and got
to take the controls, but ££££££ :)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-09 14:56:17 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:17:39 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>These things have to be booked a long time in
>>advance. I'd quite like to do the indoor flying though.
>
>Not sure I would but there is a gransnet thread today about what to
>get an 80 year old husband for his birthday and some said a flight
>with maybe chance to take the controls. I got B one for a bithday some
>years ago, a half hour lesson, and he loved it. I had been thinking
>for this next birthday I'd like to fly a small plane. We are near
>Duxford and one post said a friend had a flight in a WW2 plane and got
>to take the controls, but ££££££ :)

In the last year or two, I've seen ad.s for "fly a Spitfire" - but I
think it was in four figures; can't remember whether starting with a 2
or a 6. I've just had a look in the RT, as that's where I probably saw
it, and it's not there at the moment. I think it was for half an hour or
an hour, though did include training.

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6
Mike
2018-07-09 15:06:34 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 10:17:39 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> These things have to be booked a long time in
>>> advance. I'd quite like to do the indoor flying though.
>>
>> Not sure I would but there is a gransnet thread today about what to
>> get an 80 year old husband for his birthday and some said a flight
>> with maybe chance to take the controls. I got B one for a bithday some
>> years ago, a half hour lesson, and he loved it. I had been thinking
>> for this next birthday I'd like to fly a small plane. We are near
>> Duxford and one post said a friend had a flight in a WW2 plane and got
>> to take the controls, but ££££££ :)
>
> In the last year or two, I've seen ad.s for "fly a Spitfire" - but I
> think it was in four figures; can't remember whether starting with a 2
> or a 6. I've just had a look in the RT, as that's where I probably saw
> it, and it's not there at the moment. I think it was for half an hour or
> an hour, though did include training.

This may be?
https://flyaspitfire.com/

2018-07-09 15:15:48 UTC
In message <_RK0D.1892877$***@fx38.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
>>> Duxford and one post said a friend had a flight in a WW2 plane and got
>>> to take the controls, but ££££££ :)
>>
>> In the last year or two, I've seen ad.s for "fly a Spitfire" - but I
>> think it was in four figures; can't remember whether starting with a 2
>> or a 6. I've just had a look in the RT, as that's where I probably saw
[]
>This may be?
>https://flyaspitfire.com/

Could well be. "From" 2,750. Even "hangar tours" are 39 - I didn't look
what that involved! Dover castle or Beamish museum are I think less than
that, and probably worth it.

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6
Btms
2018-07-10 07:29:46 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <_RK0D.1892877$***@fx38.am4>, Mike
> <***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>> J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
>>> <***@gmail.com> writes:
> []
>>>
>>> In the last year or two, I've seen ad.s for "fly a Spitfire" - but I
>>> think it was in four figures; can't remember whether starting with a 2
>>> or a 6. I've just had a look in the RT, as that's where I probably saw
> []
>> This may be?
>> https://flyaspitfire.com/
>>
> Could well be. "From" 2,750. Even "hangar tours" are 39 - I didn't look
> what that involved! Dover castle or Beamish museum are I think less than
> that, and probably worth it.

Husbad has been having flying lessons recently. Introductory rate £100 a
time.

2018-07-10 10:46:11 UTC
On 10/07/18 08:29, Btms wrote:

> Husbad has been having flying lessons recently. Introductory rate £100 a
> time.

If that's the introductory rate I presume it will go higher.

Tell him to learn in Canada: I worked out that it would be much cheaper
to gain a GA ticket there, even including getting there and back and
accommodation. When I was at Calgary Flying Club a while back, the place
was full of Chinese students who had already worked out how much cheaper
it was than the alternatives.

These are their current rates...
http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/the-school/rates/

2018-07-10 11:01:48 UTC
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:46:11 +0100, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>On 10/07/18 08:29, Btms wrote:
>

>> Husbad has been having flying lessons recently. Introductory rate £100 a
>> time.
>>

>If that's the introductory rate I presume it will go higher.
>
>Tell him to learn in Canada: I worked out that it would be much cheaper
>to gain a GA ticket there, even including getting there and back and
>accommodation. When I was at Calgary Flying Club a while back, the place
>was full of Chinese students who had already worked out how much cheaper
>it was than the alternatives.
>
>These are their current rates...
>http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/the-school/rates/
>
>Nick
I have a friend who has a plane and went over to the US on a couple of
occasions to do courses and qualify. Said it was cheaper.
Nick Odell
2018-07-10 11:16:52 UTC
On 10/07/18 12:01, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:46:11 +0100, Nick Odell
> <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/07/18 08:29, Btms wrote:
>>

>>> Husbad has been having flying lessons recently. Introductory rate £100 a
>>> time.
>>>

>> If that's the introductory rate I presume it will go higher.
>>
>> Tell him to learn in Canada: I worked out that it would be much cheaper
>> to gain a GA ticket there, even including getting there and back and
>> accommodation. When I was at Calgary Flying Club a while back, the place
>> was full of Chinese students who had already worked out how much cheaper
>> it was than the alternatives.
>>
>> These are their current rates...
>> http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/the-school/rates/
>>
>> Nick
> I have a friend who has a plane and went over to the US on a couple of
> occasions to do courses and qualify. Said it was cheaper.

Was that pre or post 2001? I understand that it's become harder for
foreigners to learn how to fly in the USA since then.

2018-07-10 12:10:05 UTC
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:16:52 +0100, Nick Odell

One course perhaps pre but I think since too.
Kate B
2018-07-10 16:02:19 UTC
On 10/07/2018 12:16, Nick Odell wrote:
> On 10/07/18 12:01, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:46:11 +0100, Nick Odell
>> <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>>> If that's the introductory rate I presume it will go higher.
>>>
>>> Tell him to learn in Canada: I worked out that it would be much cheaper
>>> to gain a GA ticket there, even including getting there and back and
>>> accommodation. When I was at Calgary Flying Club a while back, the place
>>> was full of Chinese students who had already worked out how much cheaper
>>> it was than the alternatives.
>>>
>>> These are their current rates...
>>> http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/the-school/rates/
>>>
>>> Nick
>> I have a friend who has a plane and went over to the US on a couple of
>> occasions to do courses and qualify. Said it was cheaper.
>>
> Was that pre or post 2001? I understand that it's become harder for
> foreigners to learn how to fly in the USA since then.
>
> Nick

A little bit more daring, Nick and you might have qualified for a BTN...

2018-07-10 17:13:47 UTC
On 10/07/2018 17:02, Kate B wrote:
> On 10/07/2018 12:16, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On 10/07/18 12:01, Vicky Ayech wrote:

>>> I have a friend who has a plane and went over to the US on a couple of
>>> occasions to do courses and qualify. Said it was cheaper.
>>>
>> Was that pre or post 2001? I understand that it's become harder for
>> foreigners to learn how to fly in the USA since then.
>
> A little bit more daring, Nick and you might have qualified for a BTN...

Reminds me of the comedian Shazia Mirza starting her act in 2001 with
"Hello, my name's Shazia Mirza. At least, that's what it says on my
pilot's licence." I remember it made me both wince and laugh.

2018-07-10 19:30:47 UTC
On 10-Jul-18 06:13 PM, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> it made me both wince and laugh.

Perfect definition of the best BT.

http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Penny
2018-07-10 14:51:51 UTC
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:46:11 +0100, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> scrawled in the dust...

>On 10/07/18 08:29, Btms wrote:
>

>> Husbad has been having flying lessons recently. Introductory rate £100 a
>> time.
>>

>If that's the introductory rate I presume it will go higher.
>
>Tell him to learn in Canada: I worked out that it would be much cheaper
>to gain a GA ticket there, even including getting there and back and
>accommodation. When I was at Calgary Flying Club a while back, the place
>was full of Chinese students who had already worked out how much cheaper
>it was than the alternatives.

A school friend of D#2 figured this out while still at school (his nickname
was Pilot) and worked to earn his ticket there. Having gained his
commercial licence (and fallen in love) he still lives in Canada and works
for a local airline.
2018-07-09 20:59:46 UTC
On Mon, 09 Jul 2018 15:06:34 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <***@4ax.com>, Vicky Ayech
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Not sure I would but there is a gransnet thread today about what to
>>> get an 80 year old husband for his birthday and some said a flight
>>> with maybe chance to take the controls. I got B one for a bithday some
>>> years ago, a half hour lesson, and he loved it. I had been thinking
>>> for this next birthday I'd like to fly a small plane. We are near
>>> Duxford and one post said a friend had a flight in a WW2 plane and got
>>> to take the controls, but ££££££ :)
>>
>> In the last year or two, I've seen ad.s for "fly a Spitfire" - but I
>> think it was in four figures; can't remember whether starting with a 2
>> or a 6. I've just had a look in the RT, as that's where I probably saw
>> it, and it's not there at the moment. I think it was for half an hour or
>> an hour, though did include training.
>
>This may be?
>https://flyaspitfire.com/

The sort of thing I got B was this
https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/flying-experiences/fly/flying-lessons/duxfordaerodrome/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZmGrvSS3AIV1YbVCh3VpAsNEAAYAiAAEgIeyvD_BwE
But it was in the Cambridge area and half that price, about 10 years
ago.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-09 14:53:40 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 09/07/2018 09:37, krw wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly
>>it actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to
>>helen.
>> Then the stories around elsewhere were not exactly stupid or ill
>>considered but at the moment we have:
>> Home Farm - I just don't believe the line that Brian would allow
>>dumping, sorry he might be big agro but he would not allow dumping.

I found no difficulty in believing that - especially when some decades
ago, when (a) attitudes [and the chance of detection] were different,
and (b) he was a young entrepreneur (or wide boy) - he would have taken
backhanders to allow dumping in a piece of land which, IIRR, he thought
wasn't any use anyway. (Too boggy/marshy or something.)

>>The consequent mess is also unbelievable - he knew what he was he
>>doing with the partnership and the terms thereof (Kate might not have
>>read them - he did).  And we all knew a partnership would not work

Yes, I was surprised at his surprise. Though it might have been surprise
that Kate had actually got down (or got someone else to get down) and
actually digested the agreement.

>>because it did not work when Dan had one at Brookfield many years
>>ago, because some of us do remember such things.  Jess Allard and
>>someone else - it all fell apart.

Ah, before my time (<1985 according to my UGC).
[]
>> Freddie is stupid and I accept might do "smart" drugs but I do

I feared that I found that bit all too believable. I hate drugs, even
though I've never had a _close_ connection with anyone affected; it's
just that they seem able to destroy so much, and make some very nasty
people very powerful. Though I include ethanol among them.

>>believe he would have walked away from Ellis.  Lily and Russ?  Maybe

I could believe that he _can't_ now escape Ellis - such people are
clever, or at least a mixture of cunning and ruthless. (See above.)

>>20 years ago but she is supposed to be the second brainiest villager
>>after Phoebles.

I can believe it on an intellectual level (never having been in love of
that sort): it _does_ seem to be able to make people become very
irrational. Though latterly it does seem to be following the well-worn
(and tedious) path of the young woman being strung along.

>Yes. I think the editor has cast around for storylines to engage the
>young and discovered some very old teen mags for inspiration.

(-:

>> The Justin Elliott Development at Bridge Farm - well the Bridge Farm
>>idiots would never have sold the land - it was the first bit of
>>organic land and I still don't believe the local planning rules would
>>have permitted the development so far outside the village envelope,

(No comment; I don't have a mental map of the village.)

>>let alone Justin just changing his mind over what he will build as it
>>does not work like that.

Hmm. Dramatic licence to some extent - but also, I have very minor
experience in trying to get planning consent to include sequencing (you
can't do this until _after_ you've done that), and it's very hard.
Assuming anyone actually thought to even suggest such sequencing. If
they didn't, or attempts were made and weren't successful, then I could
easily believe it - not that he's changed his mind, only that he's not
going to build the cheap homes only the expensive ones, the cheap ones
remaining in the plans, just never getting started.

>A good example of a fabricated storyline but I am a little interested
>to see what Emma will make of her councillor role and I quite like the
>idea of Jim helping her.

Yes, his mischievous aspect does add some sparkle to the plots. As long
as it's used sparingly.

>> David and Ruth having a day out (not) bungee jumping.  How old are
>>they?  I keep seeing people on zip wires in north Wales on tv
>>programmes thinking well if I was younger maybe.

Yes, I found that a bit hard to believe - not for David, but for Ruth.
(Also, doesn't she have some health concern?)
[]
>> Anisha buying into a partnership, shouldering 50% of an increased
>>overdraft and then apparently walking away to be an employee - I
>>should cocoa.

I could just about believe the argument about it being a once-ever
opportunity (I know little enough about horses and stables for that to
be the case); however, I am somewhat surprised if she's allowed to have
got the partnership into debt/loan and can then duck out. Surely she has
some legal responsibility. (One assumes their partnership had _some_
legal setting up!)

>Yes, a ridiculous plotline.
>
>> Meanwhile in his dying minutes the editor kills off Nic largely
>>unheard for 5 years and also accuses her of attempting to
>>accidentally off Matt in the most unbelievable story since secret
>>agents visited the village.

Yes, that was rather _too_ neat a tying-up of loose ends!

>> Why in heaven's name do we have such a major story about Mia without
>>bothering to actually get her to speak?  How can I take an interest in
>>a girl who has clearly become a "young carer" (and I applaud her for
>>that) and yet they cannot be bothered to employ some one who can
>>actually talk, take part and explain her point of view to the world.

Very good point.

>>There might (like caring Rob) actually be a story there  which needs
>>telling from the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round
>>and all in reported speech.  This is as bad as dumping the wonderful
>>stories which could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but

Agreed. I wasn't looking forward to those stories, but they certainly do
seem to have been

>>which were dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.

dumped, as you say. And I think we _all_ would like Hayley back.

>Yes, indeed.
>
>> Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?

Another good point. (Though how old are they?)

>The Lexi/Adam/Ian is another which overstretches soap disbelief
>suspension boundaries and calls into question the quality of the
>research done - and is a waste of something that could have been very
>useful.

Yes, I'd hoped it would go well.

>> It won't seem strange when aliens land and abduct Jolene (perhaps
>>that is what has happened to her, rather than taking an interest in
>>her daughter's wedding), Wayne, Carol, George, Mia, Ruari and Ben all
>>of whom continue to be unbelievably silent.

That carpenter fellow who lived in a shed/caravan - Darren was it?
Hazel, not that I at all want her back but her absence hangs over us,
just waiting to be popped up when someone lazy wants to: didn't she only
release (or whatever term is appropriate) the village shop (or the
building it's in) for a limited number of years, probably up now?

>> I really feel I have lost something.

It's not you that has lost it.

There's too much attention paid to how TV can be bad for you, but I think it's
good for us more often than it's bad - Professor Barrie Gunter of Sheffield
University (quoted in RT, 15-21 March 2003).
Mike
2018-07-09 09:25:32 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> girl who has clearly become a "young carer" (and I applaud her for that)
> and yet they cannot be bothered to employ some one who can actually
> talk, take part and explain her point of view to the world. There might
> (like caring Rob) actually be a story there which needs telling from
> the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round and all in
> reported speech. This is as bad as dumping the wonderful stories which
> could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but which were
> dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.
>
> Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?
>
> It won't seem strange when aliens land and abduct Jolene (perhaps that
> is what has happened to her, rather than taking an interest in her
> daughter's wedding), Wayne, Carol, George, Mia, Ruari and Ben all of
> whom continue to be unbelievably silent.

Well, if you have Kosmo, I have experienced a very similar loss! I wonder
if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a long
running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth, happiness and
general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
referendum?!🤔

2018-07-09 10:25:16 UTC
On 9/7/18 10:25, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
> the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
> listeners

We stopped watching EE when SoC got one of the women to bash her husband
with an iron, or soon thereafter. It was always depressing.

In general Corrie still manages to make me at least smile most episodes
(last Friday was a bit dour to be honest, with hospitals and rape being
discussed) - which is not too bad. I also tend to accept for dramatic
reasons that tv soaps have to ignore normal behaviour.

With TA providing it is working as the people would in a village I don't
remember it veering so far away from some feeling of real life as it
seems to do at the moment.

I know it is contemporary drama in a rural setting these days - but the
drama is being overplayed without thinking about the characters.

2018-07-09 14:58:20 UTC
In message <phvd6c$1h30$***@gioia.aioe.org>, krw <***@whitnet.uk> writes:
>On 9/7/18 10:25, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:
>> the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
>> listeners
>
>We stopped watching EE when SoC got one of the women to bash her
>husband with an iron, or soon thereafter. It was always depressing.

I watched the first episode, or at least the start of it; that was
enough for me. (Not least because the RT had misled me into thinking it
was going to be a FOTWD.)
[]
>With TA providing it is working as the people would in a village I
>don't remember it veering so far away from some feeling of real life as
>it seems to do at the moment.
>
>I know it is contemporary drama in a rural setting these days - but the
>drama is being overplayed without thinking about the characters.

I agree, it doesn't seem to be that relatable-to a lot of the time, now.

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6
John Ashby
2018-07-09 10:58:49 UTC
On 09/07/18 10:25, Mike wrote:
> I wonder
> if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a long
> running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
> effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
> listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth, happiness and
> general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
> referendum?!🤔

More importantly, did the Russians interfere in getting Emma elected to
the Parish Council?

2018-07-09 15:12:11 UTC
In message <phvf59$ikj$***@dont-email.me>, John Ashby
<***@yahoo.com> writes:
>On 09/07/18 10:25, Mike wrote:
>> I wonder
>> if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a long
>> running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
>> effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
>> listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth, happiness and
>> general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
>> referendum?!?
>>

>More importantly, did the Russians interfere in getting Emma elected to
>the Parish Council?
>
>john
LOL!!!

I think TA is now a fairly well-established meme/theme for assorted
research papers, in much the same way as ABBA's music/works is/are.

Have we ever had a Russian in TA? Or a German? (I know we had Jean-Paul
to represent France, though a bit stereotypically as a chef.) We've had
the odd Yank and Canadian, though I think only semi-seriously, like
Peggy's old flame. Asians? (I _think_ Usha is second- or
third-generation British.)

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6
John Ashby
2018-07-09 15:23:41 UTC
On 09/07/18 16:12, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <phvf59$ikj$***@dont-email.me>, John Ashby
> <***@yahoo.com> writes:
>> On 09/07/18 10:25, Mike wrote:
>>>  I wonder
>>> if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a
>>> long
>>> running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
>>> effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
>>> listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth,
>>> happiness and
>>> general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
>>> referendum?!?
>>>

>> More importantly, did the Russians interfere in getting Emma elected
>> to the Parish Council?
>>
>> john
> LOL!!!
>
> I think TA is now a fairly well-established meme/theme for assorted
> research papers, in much the same way as ABBA's music/works is/are.
>
> Have we ever had a Russian in TA?

There was Matt and Brenda's R4E adventure.

2018-07-09 20:19:15 UTC
On 09/07/18 11:58, John Ashby wrote:
> On 09/07/18 10:25, Mike wrote:
>>  I wonder
>> if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a
>> long
>> running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
>> effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
>> listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth,
>> happiness and
>> general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
>> referendum?!🤔
>>

> More importantly, did the Russians interfere in getting Emma elected to
> the Parish Council?

Speaking of nerve agents (which I know we weren't) do you think a
suitable response to the death in Salisbury would be the immediate
recall of the English football team?

2018-07-10 06:31:51 UTC
On 09/07/2018 21:19, Nick Odell wrote:

> Speaking of nerve agents (which I know we weren't) do you think a
> suitable response to the death in Salisbury would be the immediate
> recall of the English football team?

Let me be very clear about this. We are poised to take strong and
decisive action in a fair and balanced way in the interests of democracy
and the country. We have ruled nothing in and we have ruled nothing
out. Urgent discussions will be held and if, when all factors have been
considered and taken into account it is thought to be the appropriate
course of action, the football team will be recalled on Monday.

The cabinet is completely united on this; it is the right thing for the
country and it is the right thing for the team.

2018-07-10 06:35:02 UTC

And there will be a final decision next Monday...
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-10 08:12:09 UTC

Yes, Minister.
Btms
2018-07-10 07:29:46 UTC
Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:
> On 09/07/18 11:58, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 09/07/18 10:25, Mike wrote:
>>>  I wonder
>>> if there would be any mileage in a research project to establish if a
>>> long
>>> running FOTWD and the plots that are unfolded could be shown to have an
>>> effect on the moods, attitudes and general well being of the regular
>>> listeners? I mean how might this affect the country’s wealth,
>>> happiness and
>>> general disposition - might it have had an effect on the Brexit
>>> referendum?!🤔
>>>

>> More importantly, did the Russians interfere in getting Emma elected to
>> the Parish Council?
>>

> Speaking of nerve agents (which I know we weren't) do you think a
> suitable response to the death in Salisbury would be the immediate
> recall of the English football team?
>
> Nick

Are you suggesting they are coming home? Igmc

2018-07-09 10:33:44 UTC
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:37:39 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>girl who has clearly become a "young carer" (and I applaud her for that)
>and yet they cannot be bothered to employ some one who can actually
>talk, take part and explain her point of view to the world. There might
>(like caring Rob) actually be a story there which needs telling from
>the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round and all in
>reported speech. This is as bad as dumping the wonderful stories which
>could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but which were
>dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.
>
>Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?
>
>It won't seem strange when aliens land and abduct Jolene (perhaps that
>is what has happened to her, rather than taking an interest in her
>daughter's wedding), Wayne, Carol, George, Mia, Ruari and Ben all of
>whom continue to be unbelievably silent.

You are pretty much right, but when did you stop? I enjoy some parts
still. I liked David and Josh last night and was growling angrily at
Brian, again. I very much liked Jazzer and Fallon and sniffled a
little, although, yes, Jolene should have been there. But hadn't she
already been before?
krw
2018-07-09 10:59:26 UTC
On 9/7/18 11:33, Vicky Ayech wrote; my response is lower down:
> [...]
>> the girl's viewpoint - so why do it the wrong way round and all in
>> reported speech. This is as bad as dumping the wonderful stories which
>> could have revolved around Bethany as she developed but which were
>> dumped in Birmingham along with Hayley.
>>
>> Meanwhile what about Lexi's separation from her two children?
>>
>> It won't seem strange when aliens land and abduct Jolene (perhaps that
>> is what has happened to her, rather than taking an interest in her
>> daughter's wedding), Wayne, Carol, George, Mia, Ruari and Ben all of
>> whom continue to be unbelievably silent.
>>
>> I really feel I have lost something.
>
> You are pretty much right, but when did you stop? I enjoy some parts
> still. I liked David and Josh last night and was growling angrily at
> Brian, again. I very much liked Jazzer and Fallon and sniffled a
> little, although, yes, Jolene should have been there. But hadn't she

Not actually stopped - but some days behind as it no longer feels like I
must listen the same day.

2018-07-09 15:07:08 UTC
In message <phvf6e$1n7n$***@gioia.aioe.org>, krw <***@whitnet.uk> writes:
>On 9/7/18 11:33, Vicky Ayech wrote; my response is lower down:
>> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:37:39 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly it
>>> actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.
[]
>>> I really feel I have lost something.
>> You are pretty much right, but when did you stop? I enjoy some parts
>> still.
Me too.
>> I liked David and Josh last night and was growling angrily at
>> Brian, again. I very much liked Jazzer and Fallon and sniffled a
Oh, the wedding dress bit. Yes, that was sweet, though I'm not sure how
believable (but I don't mind).

>> little, although, yes, Jolene should have been there. But hadn't she
>> already been before?
>>
>Not actually stopped - but some days behind as it no longer feels like
>I must listen the same day.

I still _do_ listen (in fact it's now the _only_ fixed thing in my day);
I don't feel I _must_, other than that the knowledge of it piling up is
oppressive. (I could always just wait for the omni if I get behind. But
apart from anything else, I then have to read UMRA with care.)

in the kingdom of the bland, the one idea is king. - Rory Bremner (on
politics), RT 2015/1/31-2/6
Btms
2018-07-09 13:26:43 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am not actually up to date listening at the moment because frankly it
> actually feels worse than when Rob was being a good husband to helen.

[]

> I really feel I have lost something.

The plot?

2018-07-09 20:52:21 UTC
On Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:37:39 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>Anisha buying into a partnership, shouldering 50% of an increased
>overdraft and then apparently walking away to be an employee - I should
>cocoa.

I haven't listened in months, so have no idea of what is going on.

She's a partner, therefore owns part of the business. So she is
liable for part of the business. Is she selling it to someone? If
not, she has to leave her share in. Alistair is not obliged to buy
her out. That's how partnerships work.

My cousin is a GP. Some years ago, his wife decided they were going
to move from Cornwall to the Lake District to have more room for her
horses. Then changed her mind and took a job in Hereford and they had
just sorted out school places for the kids when she decided that she'd
rather live on Dartmoor. My cousin was trying to work out what to do
about his share in the GP partnership, as it was worth less than when
he'd bought in. Fortunately, after all the messing about, he didn't
sell it, just effectively took on a locum to cover his work and took a
salaried position at the practice where they moved to.

They moved back again about 3 years later, so he just handed in his
notice and went back to his own share of his practice. And moved the
kids into state schools!

2018-07-10 10:44:28 UTC
On 9/7/18 21:52, Fenny wrote; my response is lower down:
> Alistair is not obliged to buy
> her out. That's how partnerships work.
Alastair seems to think he will have to buy her out - depends on what
the agreement says.

2018-07-10 20:40:36 UTC
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 11:44:28 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 9/7/18 21:52, Fenny wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Alistair is not obliged to buy
>> her out. That's how partnerships work.
> Alastair seems to think he will have to buy her out - depends on what
>the agreement says.

Badly written agreement if he does. He might get first refusal, or
have some say in a prospective purchaser, but it's still her
responsibility to dispose of her share and not just make him buy it
back.
2018-07-10 20:51:45 UTC
On 10/7/18 21:40, Fenny wrote; my response is lower down:
> Badly written agreement if he does.
There must be some dodgy solicitors in Borsetshire. First Biriani has
a partnership agreement which clearly he and Kate had not read. Now
Anisha is trying to get out of whatever she has agreed with Alastair
(who should have stuck with selling out rather than having a partner -
that was Shula's suggestion wasn't it? Perhaps she and Anisha set it
all up.

None of the solicitors appear to be Usha which seems odd.

2018-07-13 07:49:33 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 10/7/18 21:40, Fenny wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Badly written agreement if he does.
> There must be some dodgy solicitors in Borsetshire. First Biriani has
> a partnership agreement which clearly he and Kate had not read. Now
> Anisha is trying to get out of whatever she has agreed with Alastair
> (who should have stuck with selling out rather than having a partner -
> that was Shula's suggestion wasn't it? Perhaps she and Anisha set it
> all up.
>
> None of the solicitors appear to be Usha which seems odd.

Never her area of expertise she sez

2018-07-13 08:42:17 UTC
On 13/7/18 08:49, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/7/18 21:40, Fenny wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> Badly written agreement if he does.
>> There must be some dodgy solicitors in Borsetshire. First Biriani has
>> a partnership agreement which clearly he and Kate had not read. Now
>> Anisha is trying to get out of whatever she has agreed with Alastair
>> (who should have stuck with selling out rather than having a partner -
>> that was Shula's suggestion wasn't it? Perhaps she and Anisha set it
>> all up.
>>
>> None of the solicitors appear to be Usha which seems odd.
>>

> Never her area of expertise she sez
>
> Sincerely Chris

Historically it never stopped her offering advice - Roy on getting
sacked and so on. But she has been marginalised in recent years.

2018-07-17 21:54:28 UTC
On 13/07/18 09:42, krw wrote:
> On 13/7/18 08:49, Chris McMillan wrote; my response is lower down:
>> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>>>   There must be some dodgy solicitors in Borsetshire.  First Biriani has
>>> a partnership agreement which clearly he and Kate had not read.  Now
>>> Anisha is trying to get out of whatever she has agreed with Alastair
>>> (who should have stuck with selling out rather than having a partner -
>>> that was Shula's suggestion wasn't it?  Perhaps she and Anisha set it
>>> all up.
>>>
>>> None of the solicitors appear to be Usha which seems odd.
>>>

>> Never her area of expertise she sez
>>
>> Sincerely Chris
>>

> Historically it never stopped her offering advice - Roy on getting
> sacked and so on.  But she has been marginalised in recent years.

I think it was her encounter with Donald Trump that did it.